• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Pre-order Thread - iPhone 8, 8+, Watch Series 3, AppleTV 4K

holygeesus

Banned
Yeah I understand that. It just sucks when it’s 5-10 seconds to switch between modes and at this point you are frequently switching modes between all of the various HDR and SDR content.

You need some degree of automation though otherwise us here in the UK would have to change settings every time we watched something shot on video instead of film. On my LG if you watch something in HDR or DV the change is instant. When you stop it returns to SDR. It is an elegant transition and I can’t believe that Apple haven’t followed suit.

RaidenZR

Getting jealous reading all these impressions and reviews. Still waiting for my Space Gray 8 to simply ship. Ordered it within the first ten minutes it was on the site. What the fuck, Sprint?

Wow, that DxO labs review got me shook.

https://www.dxomark.com/apple-iphone-8-plus-reviewed-the-best-smartphone-camera-ever-tested/

Considering how testy the processor benchmark thread went, think it’s best to keep this here lol.

Don't read the comments.
Or so if you enjoy childishness
I don't get it. Isn't politics a better online war to join? at least you stand a chance of making money selling maga hats. In system platform wars the companies don't know you exist, while you bravely carry their flag into battle a flag you paid full retail price for.

Pepiope

Not sure if there is something wrong with the battery of my 8+. The charge from 0-80% seems fine, but it's been on a wall charger for over a hour and it's still sitting at 92% which is barely a 10% increase. Also seems to be some static in the earpiece...Is this something I should get replaced?

Two Words

New phone, new wallpaper.

IMG_0647.jpg

killroy87

I got a real noob question. Say I want to get the Apple Watch LTE, how exactly do I pay for the cellular use of it? Like, am I buying a separate plan? Do I just call my carrier to get it connected? Does it use the same data pool as my phone, or a separate one?

I got a real noob question. Say I want to get the Apple Watch LTE, how exactly do I pay for the cellular use of it? Like, am I buying a separate plan? Do I just call my carrier to get it connected? Does it use the same data pool as my phone, or a separate one?
Separate $10 charge from whoever you have your phone with for the major 4 from what I’ve seen, in the US at least.

$10 a month with your phone carrier, you set it up when you set up the watch. It shares the same pool, yes. It’s very akin to buying a cellular iPad, except it shares the same number as your phone

Did anyone picking up the ATV4K move from another device? Have you been happy with the switch? I have a 4K Fire TV on my main TV, and I'm thinking of switching, but some of the reviews have me spooked. Plus, the PSVue app is rock solid on FireTV, and steaming garbage on my current Apple TV, and that's mainly what we watch.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Yeah I understand that. It just sucks when it’s 5-10 seconds to switch between modes and at this point you are frequently switching modes between all of the various HDR and SDR content.

Let’s not just make stuff up.
What the heck tv is taking that long to switch to HDR mode?

I’ve never seen any TV take that long, most are seamless and done in the second or two that the screens goes black when loading content.
Newer TVs will be doing this even faster.

Tater

You sure? I'm pretty sure I was given the option to on a sim free version on the app.

You can get the sim free version on the app, but you can't also enroll in the apple upgrade program at the same time. When I talked with Apple support, they said the same thing. It sucks, I want to preorder, but instead I have to call and hope they have one available.

You can get the sim free version on the app, but you can't also enroll in the apple upgrade program at the same time. When I talked with Apple support, they said the same thing. It sucks, I want to preorder, but instead I have to call and hope they have one available.

This is correct, even though phones on the upgrade program are unlocked. They have to be activated on a carrier, they cannot was sim-free

holygeesus

Banned
Really tempted to get the Apple TV 4K for my LGOLED, anyone got it yet? Picture quality for the iTunes 4K/HDR content good?

Just buy 4K movies from Vudu on the B6 app? I bought John Wick 2 and GOTG 2 and they are stunning in Dolby Vision. I wouldn't buy an Apple TV just for 4K content personally, with Vudu already offering it.

Skelter

Banned
Really tempted to get the Apple TV 4K for my LGOLED, anyone got it yet? Picture quality for the iTunes 4K/HDR content good?

Me too but I have a Roku Premiere. I don't have an HDR tv yet so I'm I don't need an Apple TV. Is there any reason to get an Apple TV for myself?

I did read a random comment on reddit about YouTube on an Apple TV doesn't support 4K.

Vuze

I don't know what you're talking about crApple obviously paid off this website to promote their new hypePhone, you fucking iFan-ghey
I cringed so hard when I read this comment. I should really stop doing this to myself. Unfortunately this blind hate for Apple products is present on basically every site I visit. Wonder how this started? But it’s quite extreme with violent threats and shit. One dude on a deals site I frequent threatened “smashing” everybody he sees wearing an Apple Watch and “tie up their testicles with it because it’s the only thing that it’s useful for”. Like wtf, go see a psychiatrist

mrklaw

MrArseFace

On most sets it isn’t 5-10 seconds to switch between 4K SDR and 4K HDR. It isn’t changing resolution or refresh rate, just processing mode.

And constantly switching between SDR and HDR may just be a ‘new device’ thing as you’re tying out lots of different things. In normal use you’d be unlikely to switch so often

This is broken on Apple TV and may take some time to fix. The simplest approach is to do what everyone else does - pass the signal of the original video

They would realistically only need to switch between a few different modes, though the myriad of options is appreciated

(Because 1080p24 isn’t a thing...)

1080p60 SDR
1080p60 HDR
4K24 SDR
4K24 HDR
4K60 SDR
4K60 HDR

That would cover pretty much every movie/tv combo I can think of, only thing you’re really relying on is the Apple TV to not fuck up the 1080p->4K conversion when you want to watch a non-4K movie at native 24p

Though seeing as how my HDR TV hasn’t arrived yet, I am curious, how do these boxes handle SDR content in an HDR space? Is that when they mode switch down to SDR just for the duration of the thing, or can SDR live comfortably in HDR without a settings change? I haven’t messed with any HDR, I truly don’t know

Moreche

Been using my ATV 4K for a few days and it’s really fast. As much as I wasn’t set on buying one, Apple got me when they said they would upgrade any compatible films I owned to 4K.
Although I’m really,really hoping the A10X will entice more games to the Apple TV4K.

NeoRaider

Gold/cream iPhone 8 looks sooooo good on videos and pics. That color on the back is just so good looking with the glass.
But i dislike the color of metal parts, i wish they were silver instead of gold.

holygeesus

Banned
Not American so don’t have that option unfortunately.

Me neither but you can get it working if you use a DNS spoofer and play with the service menu of the TV. Apple entering the market is great for us as more competition should drive prices down as it already is with Amazon dropping their UHD prices, at least here in the UK.

Saying that, if Apple sort the HDR problem then I will probably pick one up too.

jstripes

Banned
The amount of salt in the comments from Android users is delicious.

"But Apple products are just fashion accessories for sheeple. It can't be possible that it's actually better than an Android. That would cause my universe to collapse in on itself!"

ZOONAMI

Just buy 4K movies from Vudu on the B6 app? I bought John Wick 2 and GOTG 2 and they are stunning in Dolby Vision. I wouldn't buy an Apple TV just for 4K content personally, with Vudu already offering it.

Or just buy the 4K Blu-ray’s and you’ll get a vudu code with it. Sony an Samsung have sub $250 4K br players now, or an Xbox one s, all support vudu. I don’t really know why anyone would go the Apple TV route.

giga

Or just buy the 4K Blu-ray’s and you’ll get a vudu code with it. Sony an Samsung have sub $250 4K br players now, or an Xbox one s, all support vudu. I don’t really know why anyone would go the Apple TV route.

Do you know if the vudu code redeems 4K/HDR copies or regular 1080P ones?

holygeesus

Banned

Importing US UHD discs is far more costly. We don't have native support for Vudu here.

ZOONAMI

Do you know if the vudu code redeems 4K/HDR copies or regular 1080P ones?

That’s what sucks, sometimes it’s uhd code and sometimes fhd. It’s still a crapshoot depending on studio.

Either way though I’d rather have the br even if it only comes with a fhd code.

Apple store let me change payment on my opened phone yesterday, let me return and rebuy the same opened device which was nice. Didn’t even take a minute to swap things.

Got an 8 on an annual upgrade with my carrier. I have a 14-day trial period in which I'll scrutinise this phone more. I do need a faster device, but I'm more interested in what Apple deliver next year.

Rang up EE to complain about my contract situation and ended up buying an Apple Watch. I say buy, no up front price and £25 a month which isn't too bad to be honest.

So, Apple Watch Series 3 owners in the UK, how is the cellular watch on these shores? I hear it's a mess in America but have heard little to nothing regarding us.

Except 4K content is cheaper on the Apple TV. Also, from reading around on avsforum the PQ is superior to Vudu.

holygeesus

Banned
Except 4K content is cheaper on the Apple TV. Also, from reading around on avsforum the PQ is superior to Vudu.

True about the price. YMMV as to the quality I guess. Hopefully it forces Vudu to lower their prices.

I'll definitely pick one up if they sort the HDR issue, but I'm not confident they will.

kaskade

Apple TV shipped, had an estimated date of 10/2-10/4. Originally was supposed to get here Friday according to UPS but now it's saying thursday. I'll take a few days early.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Rang up EE to complain about my contract situation and ended up buying an Apple Watch. I say buy, no up front price and £25 a month which isn't too bad to be honest.

So, Apple Watch Series 3 owners in the UK, how is the cellular watch on these shores? I hear it's a mess in America but have heard little to nothing regarding us.

That’s £600 over 2 years - unless it’s a stainless steel it’s highway robbery

Top Bottom