• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A's Catcher Bruce Maxwell becomes first MLB player to kneel during anthem

I just read a tweet from a #MAGA account expressing the hope that Bruce's military vet father disowns him.
Another tweeter swore that he'd boycott Major League Baseball if this became widespread.
These people are authoritarians who resent even the slightest bit of resistance.

Trump supporters should lose the right to vote if and when trump goes down for treason and/or Rico charges.

They are obviously a clear and present danger to the constitution and the USA as a whole.

Hex

Banned
I feel like this isn't even being done for the right reasons now it seems they are making it into a fad to get noticed but that's just my opinion

Oh sod off.
Yeah, it is just to be noticed.
People LOVE to get called all kinds of names on twitter and social media, people threatening them and their team and their league.
People lining up for that kind of notice.
GOD DAMN I seriously hate people sometimes.

rjinaz

I feel like this isn't even being done for the right reasons now it seems they are making it into a fad to get noticed but that's just my opinion

You say this in the thread about the first person in mlb doing this.

So you're saying you don't want people to protest, if they do at this point they are insincere... I don't get it.

mid83

You say this in the thread about the first person in mlb doing this.

So you're saying you don't want people to protest, if they do at this point they are insincere... I don't get it.

Like I said earlier, I think some people here want outright disrespect of the flag and country shown for it to be “authentic”.

It seems to me that some people don’t understand that you can have a desire to protest or speak out while still respecting the country and the flag. Of course this is called out for not being authentic or not going far enough.

The guy who kicked this whole thing off is currently being blackballed out of a job, but apparently other athletes can't wait to get in on this "fad".

shira

Gj maxwell
source.gif

Let's show this orange turd

ZZMitch

The guy who kicked this whole thing off is currently being blackballed out of a job, but apparently other athletes can't wait to get in on this "fad".

Yeah... and I don't even want to know how many death threats these guys get from crazies.

But just a fad y'all! Grow Up.

rjinaz

Like I said earlier, I think some people here want outright disrespect of the flag and country shown for it to be ”authentic".

It seems to me that some people don't understand that you can have a desire to protest or speak out while still respecting the country and the flag. Of course this is called out for not being authentic or not going far enough.

I love this country, despite its problems. I have great hope for it, but yes I see its problems. I take no issue with people that proudly stand and I have mad respect for the military.

But yeah, taking a knee is something I would do and I'm happy to see it. I don't need them to flip the flag off. What this guy here did speaks volumes, he did it alone and he was the first. He's a brave man.

Beckx

Shit never changes. There's probably a letter to the editor somewhere saying Ali just wanted to get noticed for his protest

Bet the dude who wrote it would tell how he loved Ali now though.

newjeruse

The only hesitation I have with this now is that I think, in the most cynical way possible, Trump wants the kneeling and the protests. It allows him to distract the country more AND drive the wedge deeper through everyone. I'm not patriotic at all, but some part of me hates to see the flag used as a political prop by the president.

Also, and this can't be said enough, no one hates America more or has done more to destroy its foundations than Donald Trump.

besada

Banned

So your theory is that a guy who was born on a military base to a soldier decided to get millions of people calling him a traitor because he wanted a little attention. Okay, well, you enjoy that.

besada

Banned
Double Posting because this is a Moderator Warning:

If people haven't figured it out yet, and couldn't figure it out from the ToS, responding to comments with "Fuck you", "Fuck outta here", "FOH", or "Shut the fuck up" will absolutely get you banned.

We thought this was pretty clear, but some of you seem to be having a problem with maintaining even a modicum of civility. If you can't manage to do it, we'll just toss you off the forum.

I get that people are angry, and I get that you're often responding to incredibly stupid and disingenuous arguments, often being posed by alt accounts and burners.

That's not an excuse and it won't be treated as one.

I feel like because it's a white guy with military in his family this will bring more people into the ongoing discussion if you can call it that. If it was another black dude, he'd just be shit on by the public.

All in all good dude, real American "standing up" for inequality and injustice in this world we live in today

BradC00

I feel like because it's a white guy with military in his family this will bring more people into the ongoing discussion if you can call it that. If it was another black dude, he'd just be shit on by the public.

All in all good dude, real American "standing up" for inequality and injustice in this world we live in today

he's black.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Huge balls on this dude for being the first guy in another league to do it. I definitely feel like this will open the floodgates to many other athletes in all the leagues doing something similar. One can hope anyway.

Like I said earlier, I think some people here want outright disrespect of the flag and country shown for it to be “authentic”.

It seems to me that some people don’t understand that you can have a desire to protest or speak out while still respecting the country and the flag. Of course this is called out for not being authentic or not going far enough.

The problem here is the insinuation that Kaep and co. are not "respecting the country and the flag."

Maxwell's kneel is basically a textbook example of a "half-step", but that doesn't make it bad or anything. He's kneeling in solidarity with their right to protest, against all the batshit crazies up in arms about it. The original kneel is more than that, it about a disappointment in the current state of a country in a message to improve it. It's not disrespecting America to draw attention to things that need fixing, that's supposed to be the point of the country's freedoms.

They're different kneels with different messages, but both good.

jdstorm

Banned
Who will be the first NBA player to do this? Or has someone done it already?

No one has done it yet, but whoever plays first out of Lebron or Steph Curry seems most likely. Given their popularity and influence its probably going to catch on much quicker in the NBA then elsewhere.

That's what an ally looks like.
Their worth is yet to be determined

Like I said earlier, I think some people here want outright disrespect of the flag and country shown for it to be ”authentic".

It seems to me that some people don't understand that you can have a desire to protest or speak out while still respecting the country and the flag. Of course this is called out for not being authentic or not going far enough.

Flags were not made to be "respected"

This type of idolatry was specifically derided.

The current grand scheme is bullshit patriotism and money making opportunity here

RS4-

Wouldn't be surprised if whole teams in the NBA do it.

NHL wise, I do remember some still skate around, do some stretches, etc during the anthem. I think. It's been years.

Top Bottom