• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Rest of the PS Exclusive Destiny Content coming to Xbox in October

Never? It will never happen here.

It actually happened plenty in the past when they didn't sell piecemeal DLC offerings as expansions to fix the amount of content in their base game that got blasted by critics and fans for lacking in content.

I'm not sure why you expected it to happen in a thread about them locking exclusive content away for 2 years from a different platform though, could that be your icon talking?

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Nobody has ever been (or ever will be) of Nintendo NES era level of bullshit. Sega basically had to port other developers games to Master System themselves because Nintendo restricted developers from doing so if they wanted to publish on NES.

The only distinction is because DLC itself only came into being for gen 7. so couldn't have been part of deals before then.

Nintendo's fuckery reaches a new level because they basically strong armed debs and publishers due to their market monopoly. They were literally Microsoft before Microsoft became the Microsoft we knew in the 90s.

I believe the original quote chain was talking about timed DLC.

Not only are you wrong, but as I said above. Tomb Raider 2, for example, was moneyhatting by Sony on the original PS1. Even though Sega gamers experienced the first title (memory is getting a little foggy here can someone else elaborate?).

People saying Microsoft started this are laughable when Sony has been doing it much worse and much longer.

theWB27

Oh! You checked my past. Nice.

It sucks, they have all done it. The time gap is super annoying compared to 30 days and it hurts me too. I hate it too and never made me want to purchase a different console for some extra skins or DLC. Similar to how Amazon or Gamestop may offer different colored pants for Assassins, it won't make me preorder at either place when I know I will buy at BB.

I guess my point is that no one is making anyone sign the deal. All these companies agree to terms and I am sure MS would sign a similar deal if they could despite what they say. But I don't like it at all. I blame Bungie most of all because it's their game and they continue to make horrible, weird or baffling decisions.

Besides, I owned the Xbox because I wanted to play Shenmue. That led me to Splinter Cell, Halo, Jet Set Radio, Panzer Dragoon and all the other Xbox exclusives I couldn't play on my PS2. I don't need to defend my honor but it appears I have.

Cheers.

But Microsoft....

Can't even blame Sony. Bungie doesn't have to accept this shit.

Bungie needs more flak.

EXACTLY! I hate how long it takes, I mean 1-2 years? Really? No one made them agree to the deal, they did on their own. It sucks for everybody.

*shakes head*

This place is making not like so many things.

Not only are you wrong, but as I said above. Tomb Raider 2, for example, was moneyhatting by Sony on the original PS1. Even though Sega gamers experienced the first title (memory is getting a little foggy here can someone else elaborate?).

People saying Microsoft started this are laughable when Sony has been doing it worse and much longer.
No it was definitely about DLC.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
They're both not great? But if we're talking about who started the practice of timed DLC and how it progressed over a generation, I don't really get why that was brought up.

Ask the person who brought it up. My first post was a fuck you to all 3 companies.

What before today didn't you or anyone understand about the content? It's probably mainly for anyone on 360 still playing destiny, but we all knew this already.

Gamers are gonna feel the same thing when Anthem's content is held back from PS4 gamers. The deal for Destiny 1 will be over and the content will be released in October.. this stuff shouldn't be a shock.

As guy who used to play the hell out of Destiny, I can tell you I didn't give a shit if Xbox gamers had the content or not. But like others have said, this stuff shouldn't be held back at all.. not big community games like Destiny, Cod, or even Anthem. But I'm not shocked at all.

Has there been any info on exclusive content being tied to anthen aside from marketing?

Plus just because it's mostly for people on 360 that won't be getting 2 doesn't mean a fuck. I paid for TTK the same amount as ps4 players on the one and that content will never mean anything for me cause they withheld it for two years.

It's an awful business practice and should be critiqued no matter what.

I don't want a "they started it first excuse" cause if Sony is truly #4theplayers they should be above something that alienates a community.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Can't even blame Sony. Bungie doesn't have to accept this shit.

Bungie needs more flak.

Can't blame Sony?

I doubt Activision and Bungie approached THEM to see if they wanted to pay for timed DLC and I doubt it was Bungie or Activision that chose 12 months as the time period.

So yeah, Sony does most definitely share at least a third of the blame.

Disgusting. It's practically useless at this point.

I suppose Xbox/PC players will be seeing the D2 PS exclusive content in 2019 when D3 is rolling around.

Hjod

Banned
I thought this was for the Destiny 2 content.

Man the whole thing with one month exclusive, launch exclusive and so on sucks, doesn't matter who does it. I don't mind first party exclusive cause that's more understandable, but shit like this is bad for everybody. It killed The Division for me and many others, just one example. Shit like this has to stop, but publisher likes that money hatting.

Fucked up on all sides.

MUnited83

For you.
So holding back dlc is worse than holding back an entire game from a "revived" series that damn near got killed again? ok
Considering ROtTR will always be playable as it is a single player game, and Destiny is a multiplayer game that relies on a active multiplayer community to be enjoyed, yes, having a DLC hold back until the game is no longer relevant is pretty bad.

Synth

Disgusting. It's practically useless at this point.

This is the worst part of all this. As much as any sort of timed exclusivity sucks... at least usually the product it still applicable when released. Release COD maps 30 days later, and everyone just jumps on and plays them that day, and if say you could for some reason only have played in the first 30 days, you just didn't buy it. In this case though, they sold you the content beforehand, and then withheld it for a year, you couldn't simply have decided to not buy this DLC until it was released, because that would mean not playing any of the other content released over the last two years either. It's like placing an order for all your groceries, and then the milk gets delivered the following month, and it's now a month out of date.

KageMaru

I'm fine with the month exclusive deals, I got BF on the PS4 even though there was a month delay on map packs. However this is straight bullshit and I don't even own destiny on the XBO.

I don't want a "they started it first excuse" cause if Sony is truly #4theplayers they should be above something that alienates a community.

well #4thePlayers obviously means "for OUR players," and you know that. They don't give a shit if Xbox players are left out and I doubt most PS4 players care either.

not saying it makes it any better (it doesn't), but using their marketing slogan against them of all things isn't exactly the strongest argument...

Van Bur3n

Why are we all debating who started it or did it worse this its a shitty tactic period and as consumers no one benfits fron it

Biased fans with the idiotic desire to defend the company associated with their gaming platform. They'll acknowledge the problem, but not the company behind it who is pulling the strings on this exclusive nonsense to begin with.

GAF is home to repressed console warriors.

Did someone force Sony to follow whoever started it?

Besides, they are no past angels, remember the online pass bullshit for second hand games last Gen?

well #4thePlayers obviously means "for OUR players," and you know that. They don't give a shit if Xbox players are left out and I doubt most PS4 players care either.

not saying it makes it any better (it doesn't), but using their marketing slogan against them isn't exactly the strongest argument...

I would Think the # would be enough to say it's a joke. The problem Was it was a universal thing everybody had against destiny. A lot of ps4 players bitched about it.

Just the argument that other people did it too should not make it to where they avoid blame. Can't say people aren't trying to use that excuse because this thread is proof of that.

Figures this thread would devolve in to console warrior fuckwittery.

How long has it been since a thread related to Bungie was actually positive?

Probably before Destiny released. It's insane how fast I went from buying everything Bungie put out to never buying anything they touch again. When was that first DLC? A couple months later? I didn't throw any money away after the base game, and it seems like each passing month since the game launched they make me feel better about walking away.

I would Think the # would be enough to say it's a joke. The problem Was it was a universal thing everybody had against destiny. A lot of ps4 players bitched about it.

Just the argument that other people did it too should not make it to where they get no blame. Can't say people aren't trying to use that excuse because this thread is proof off that.

Geth don't joke... (I can't tell who jokes around here anymore)

:p but seriously, you're right, Microsoft doing it doesn't make it okay for Sony to do it as well, especially this is far worse than month-long exclusive DLC.

As far as Nintendo goes, I mean is anyone really still faulting Nintendo these days? I understand it was a very shitty practice, but we're two leadership generations removed from the Nintendo of old.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
This just all comes across as icky. Leaving Microsoft, only to end up seemingly worse. This doesn't make me want to get Destiny 2.

spectator

But I think Nintendo might have actually started it.

You bet your ass they did. And they didn't even give the publishers any money for it. They controlled the market enough they could just say, 'you can't release on our box if you also release on any other... ever'.

Floody

Might aswell just stay exclusive at this point, I doubt many will stick around to play a mediocre strike, terrible MP map or grind and hope RNG gives them an alright exotic.

Kagero

Is Destiny the biggest casual fps franchise this gen? I'm genuinely curious. Are deals like this the reason why PS4 is doing so well?

Floody

Is Destiny the biggest casual fps franchise this gen? I'm genuinely curious. Are deals like this the reason why PS4 is doing so well?

Destiny definitely played a role in how successful the PS4 is, but that's thanks to the marketing and bundles. These exclusive items had very little if any impact, they could've been a week long or nonexistent and I don't think anything changes.

Kagero

Destiny definitely played a role in how successful the PS4 is, but that's thanks to the marketing and bundles. These exclusive items had very little if any impact, they could've been a week long or nonexistent and I don't think anything changes.

That makes sense. What about now though? Would a move like this keep people playing in the PS ecosystem? I agree that deals like this are dirty but I'm sorta glad I'm on the "winning side" since i intend to continue to support the franchise on the PS4 since it was the system I chose early on. Was talking to my friends today and they feel the same as me on this.

Kevin

You guys know that Activision is really the ones who are almost certainly forcing Bungie to accept deals with companies like Sony for exclusive content. I would place the blame completely on Activision as I'm sure Bungie doesn't get much of a say. It's either do as we tell you or there's the door. Bungie accepted the 10-year Activsion contract (a deal with the devil) which I suppose was on them but yeah this is just typical Activision stuff at this point so I feel most of the anger should be directed at them.

That makes sense. What about now though? Would a move like this keep people playing in the PS ecosystem? I agree that deals like this are dirty but I'm sorta glad I'm on the "winning side" since i intend to continue to support the franchise on the PS4 since it was the system I chose early on. Was talking to my friends today and they feel the same as me on this.

These deals are definitely slimy, but they work. To add to your post, my best friend wanted to get the game on Xbox. I told him about the exclusive content on the PS4 version and we decided to go again PS4 for Destiny 2.

I'd put money that my situation isn't unique.

Keinning

These deals are definitely slimy, but they work. To add to your post, my best friend wanted to get the game on Xbox. I told him about the exclusive content on the PS4 version and we decided to go again PS4 for Destiny 2.

I'd put money that my situation isn't unique.

Most of these situations are way more about "i can play with my friends on PS4" than "i can get this weapon and this raid on PS4"

And the first situation wouldn't be any less enticing without the timed content

Ushay

Bungie can kindly fuck off for this deal, Sony should know better for participating in this as well.

Definitely won't be getting Destiny 2 if this the case going forward.

Anthem can't come soon enough.

Has there been any info on exclusive content being tied to anthen aside from marketing?

Plus just because it's mostly for people on 360 that won't be getting 2 doesn't mean a fuck. I paid for TTK the same amount as ps4 players on the one and that content will never mean anything for me cause they withheld it for two years.

It's an awful business practice and should be critiqued no matter what.

I'll assume you bought Destiny vanilla if not, cool, but you bought TTK on Xbox knowing what kind of deal they had with PS. You should have been vocal then or voted with your wallet! But instead, your vote said you didn't give a shit, so why now?

Can't blame Sony?

I doubt Activision and Bungie approached THEM to see if they wanted to pay for timed DLC and I doubt it was Bungie or Activision that chose 12 months as the time period.

So yeah, Sony does most definitely share at least a third of the blame.

They are all to blame, but the stars aligned when they made the deal, cause Destiny was way more popular than it should have been.

I just don't get, getting mad now. You knew this shit was coming.

Edit: and I mean bungie.

KageMaru

Probably before Destiny released. It's insane how fast I went from buying everything Bungie put out to never buying anything they touch again. When was that first DLC? A couple months later? I didn't throw any money away after the base game, and it seems like each passing month since the game launched they make me feel better about walking away.

Yup, I've been following them since the Oni days but I refuse to give them a penny after how they handled destiny. They used to pack so much content and value in one disc, but they shit the bed with Destiny and are just rolling in it now...willingly. Nothing will change either since people keep throwing money at them. Sadly Destiny 2 will be the biggest title this holiday outside of CoD.

Dabanton

So does this 10 yr deal with Activison mean that DLC fuckery like this will be for the entirety of this contract lol if so.

Top Bottom