• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moments when it just went a bit too far or "Less is more" moments in gaming

DrKelpo

Banned
I'm not that much into the Call of Duty franchise but have played some of the games.
The game I spent the most time with, is the first Black Ops. Especially the story was right up my alley.

So I was just rewatching some cutscenes and gameplay bits from the campaign and came across the scene at the end when you emerge after the final battle in the sub station.
You get onto the boat and Weaver is patting your back for a job well done.

The camera swings over, you see half the US Navy standing unrealistically crowded together just to get them all in one picture, electric guitar music stars to play and two groups of fighter jets fly over in fancy air show-like formation.

I get why you have the big final moment, but the whole scene always bothered me because it just was too much. Less in your face-we are awesome- scenery would have made the scene and ending of the campaign better.

I know what you are thinking... yes, I know, it's Call of Duty and sure, you are right, but .. I don't know... it always bugged me.

Another example would be the opening of Bioshock. You're sitting in the pod and get your first awe inspiring view on Rapture. You're taken through the city and a giant squid swims by.... and then a whale.
Yes, we get it... we are under water. The scenery is more than enough to convince us of the illusion and to be honest, it kinda destroys part of said illusion if I got the feeling the people behind the game try too hard.

Well... obviously very personal examples, but what about you?

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
The Witcher 3. When I saw how big the world was after spending so much time in the prologue, I was OUT.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
The third act of Persona 5.

As much as I love Persona 5 (GotY), I really didnt like the whole tell a story about the past to get caught up to the present. I really didnt like how things went when it kicked into the present but I guess they were going for big twists.

I always thought the mention of pedophilia in Xenogears was unnecessary. It's mentioned like once in the entire game and doesn't influence any story arc or character development or anything. It's like it was just put in the game for edginess and gratuitous controversy, rather than anything deep.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Every Assassin's Creed game has felt about 5 hours too long for me. Alien Isolation had the same problem but more severe. It's a common problem IMO, devs fill their games with shit that does nothing but inflate the games length.

Every Assassin's Creed game has felt about 5 hours too long for me. Alien Isolation had the same problem but more severe. It's a common problem IMO, devs fill their games with shit that does nothing but inflate the games length.

Absolutely. a lot of gamers must like this though however there would be pushback (conversely, when a game dares to be 8 hours long there will be countless thread filled with 'rent for me' and so on).

Instead of difficulty sliders, I want a slider of how much filler there is in the game. I don't even want to have the option of choosing in game (like in open world game) because it can be hard to sort between the interesting stuff and the useless shit. Also it's distracting to see a map literally covered with shit to do.

For instance, Andromeda with only main quests and most side quests, but purged completely from errands, would be a far improved game.

Speaking of which: andromeda is a perfect example for the thread. It's a good game but hidden under piles of extremely boring-ass fetch quests.

I always thought the mention of pedophilia in Xenogears was unnecessary. It's mentioned like once in the entire game and doesn't influence any story arc or character development or anything. It's like it was just put in the game for edginess and gratuitous controversy, rather than anything deep.

I don't remember this too much. But reconstructing my memories of the game, i am assuming it has to do with the Church-like religion with the ankh-looking symbol?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Just the general trend of extreme handholding... that seems to be diminishing somewhat though lately. Modern Zeldas would be very explicit in showing what you needed to do, especially in opening segments, but luckily that was one of the many things BotW axed. With the shrine quests, there are some real puzzles with cryptic hints you need to figure out.

But in general I hate it when we get constant camera pans every time we reach a new area or an area is introduced. I think God of War is another series that kept doing this. This gets on my nerves when it goes on for the entire game.

The Witness is masterclass in many aspects, but definitely in the more subdued or subtle tutorial. You're not really told anything explicitly, you just learn the ruleset by solving the opening panels to each area.

jb1234

A lot of games (especially JRPGs) pile on the melodrama when a more subtle approach would be more effective.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I think Nier Automata would benefit greatly if it completely ditched the open world aspect.
The game didn't need to be open world for what it tried to do

Jawmuncher

RE7 had a bad case of wanting to explain too much with its latest Threat. Which to me took away a lot of the effect it could've had.

mcfrank

Honestly the final city in red dead redemption felt like overkill to me. Wish it would have ended in the Mexico section.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Punching a boulder out of the way in Resi 5. In fact, the whole final boss fight, right up to the dual rocket launchers, was just hilarious.

Blobbers

It's not a specific moment, but it felt that almost every Comstock voxophone in Bioshock Infinite was superfluous after the first one, because the writing follows the same template:
-"I did/observed something, and it occurred to me that I am not worthy. But then God said "my child you are worthy, for *insert some epiphany about the thing Comstock did/observed*"

I always had the impression half the game was written by Levine because words sounded cool, not because they had some profound meaning

Thewonandonly

As much as I love Persona 5 (GotY), I really didnt like the whole tell a story about the past to get caught up to the present. I really didnt like how things went when it kicked into the present but I guess they were going for big twists.
Ya I mean that twist was fucking awsome just the anime cutscenes and stuff. Then it kept being good but one you figured out
igor
isn't really himself it started to get into crazy territory haha. Playing persona 4 now so let's see if it ends better :)

Thewonandonly

Also I think horizon would of benifieted if it was a linear epic that lasted a solid 20 hours instead of filling in side quest. I guess I have just done enough fetch quest in games that I'm getting tired of it :(

The third act (and beyond) of Gravity Rush 2. :/

Look the word "over the top" in the dicionary, the description says Gravity Rush 2.

Level 30-35 quests in A Realm Reborn being the worst kind of fetch quests. Also they have a damn Linkshell as a way to be like mobile communication and barely used it.

Cfer

Neo Member
DmC

-something edgy happens-
"okay I get it he's supposed to be super hardcore and teenage boy tough"
x25 times in first cutscene

"guys what should we do??? the enemy just took our stronghold, killed a lot of our guys and our leader is on the brink of death. what a terrible situation how should we convey this to the player?"

"i know lets do a musical number"

No Bioware, no.

also this doesn't seem to be a topic about game length as many people seem to interpret

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm.

Before this expansion, the game world felt big and threatening, full of characters and monsters much more powerful than you.

Cataclysm completely changed the feel of the game - for the worse IMO - by changing both the narrative and difficulty to instead convey that you are a super badass hero and the most important character in this world (except for maybe Thrall).

The Fade in Dragon Age: Origins... christ.

Also Alan Wake and Horizon.

you shut your whore mouth.

Agree on Alan Wake and DA:O though.

Metal Gears entire story line.
I am not sure it really qualifies because love it or hate it, I am not sure MG would be MG without its insane story lines.

The original FEAR should have been like half as long.
Absolutely. Could never get to the end of it, and I tried.

Another example would be the opening of Bioshock. You're sitting in the pod and get your first awe inspiring view on Rapture. You're taken through the city and a giant squid swims by.... and then a whale.
Yes, we get it... we are under water. The scenery is more than enough to convince us of the illusion and to be honest, it kinda destroys part of said illusion if I got the feeling the people behind the game try too hard.

I hate this excerpt. You're killing me. I am literally dying.

Now I'm officially dead. Thanks a lot dude. You killed me with your fundamental misunderstanding of BioShock's opening scene. You will go to prison for my murder. Even if you got the best attorney in the world, he'd tell you to take the plea deal.

RIP me, killed to death by poor BioShock feedback.

Honestly the final city in red dead redemption felt like overkill to me. Wish it would have ended in the Mexico section.

I think Mexico was where things got overlong - they should have made you choose between the two sides instead of having you work for both the rebels and the army. Then you'd get to Blackwater sooner, without feeling like the game was outstaying its welcome.

. . .
So seeing undersea creatures while under the sea destroys the illusion? Of what? That you're in a city under the sea?!

I think Mexico was where things got overlong - they should have made you choose between the two sides instead of having you work for both the rebels and the army. Then you'd get to Blackwater sooner, without feeling like the game was outstaying its welcome.

Mexico introduces a major pacing problem to an otherwise sterling game. When you cross the border, you leave the entire story behind and it's as if you're starting an entire new game. Then, when you finish, you resume the story you started in the first act.

Mexico struggles keeping the player engaged because its asking them to start over everything they've been invested in for an entire third of their adventure. I'm not saying the game would be better without it, but it's not very well integrated. So if the game would have gone from Act 1 ("Armadillo") to Act 3 ("Blackwater"), the game wouldn't really have been worse for it.

But all of Mexico is still great game. It just lacks the hook and asks a lot of patience to a player who was previously greatly engaged with the narrative.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
OP I agree with your example entirely, it is actually something I've mocked since the game came out. Kindred souls, you and I.

Really? That whole area - the plains - was by far the most beautiful landscape in the game. I remember being a little disappointed it wasn't as big as the other areas too.

jelly

I'm not that much into the Call of Duty franchise but have played some of the games.
The game I spent the most time with, is the first Black Ops. Especially the story was right up my alley.

So I was just rewatching some cutscenes and gameplay bits from the campaign and came across the scene at the end when you emerge after the final battle in the sub station.
You get onto the boat and Weaver is patting your back for a job well done.

The camera swings over, you see half the US Navy standing unrealistically crowded together just to get them all in one picture, electric guitar music stars to play and two groups of fighter jets fly over in fancy air show-like formation.

I get why you have the big final moment, but the whole scene always bothered me because it just was too much. Less in your face-we are awesome- scenery would have made the scene and ending of the campaign better.

I know what you are thinking... yes, I know, it's Call of Duty and sure, you are right, but .. I don't know... it always bugged me.

Yeah, that was like throwing all your toys into the bathtub and looked exactly like that. It was rather charring.

you shut your whore mouth.

Agree on Alan Wake and DA:O though.

I am not sure it really qualifies because love it or hate it, I am not sure MG would be MG without its insane story lines.

Well, after the 10th hour or so, the game became a chore to play... The world is empty, side quests are uninteresting, the quickest and most effective way to handle battles is by spamming arrows and elemental arrows. It'a game that doesn't need to be open world. However, it IS magnificently beautiful and a solid foundation for a series... just needs work. I don't really get why it has received as much praise as it has. But that's just me. Heh, I probably would have loved it seven years ago.

. . .
So seeing undersea creatures while under the sea destroys the illusion? Of what? That you're in a city under the sea?!

OP seems to think that the purpose of the Rapture overture is to tell the player they're "under water."

When, really, the purpose of the overture is to contextualize the philosophy of the city through Andrew Ryan's expedition and impress the player with the city, foreshadowing details like the Big Daddy performing maintenance in the glass tunnel and entering the city that the player should realize quite quickly they will not be able to leave. As the bathysphere passes through illuminated arches, a letter shorts and blows out. This foreboding omen sets the tone for the entire game, as well as a central theme: Rapture, and its politics, are not the dream its citizens were sold. It is a nightmare sunken away from the world.

The sequence is exactly as long as it should be and narratively perfect. Even as a mechanical experience, the player being trapped in a claustrophobic space with no way to turn back is, you know, the game.

Manu

The final boss in Wolfenstein The Old Blood. Doesn't really fit the rest of the game.

It didn't ruin it for me, but it was kinda dumb since the game had a more "grounded" approach to
the occult/magic
up to that point.

Top Bottom