• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adam Orth no longer with Microsoft

oktarb

Nobody forced him to use his twitter account registered to his real name and clearly identifying him as MS employee.

He could have easily created a private Twitter account just for that sort of horsing around with close friends and family. He could have easily used a private message, or a protocol/service that is not by default broadcasting every little thing one says for the world to see.

He did not.

Everything he typed could be traced back to him, and in turn, his employer. He knew that, and yet he posted stuff of questionable nature anyway.

I do feel sorry he got fired/was forced to resign/resigned of his own volition or whatever caused him to no longer work at MS. I do not wish that on anyone.

However, all of this is his own making.

(If he got axed for breaking an NDA he can be happy that all he lost was his job. There are some genuinely scary phrases in some of them.)

He definitely needs to take responsibility for his own actions and it looks like whether he likes it or not he has. I was talking more about the company culture theses. One which encourages you to represent them on all fronts. Twit, post, Be MS or whatever company you're with. You can post a thousand normal things but one bad moment and your ship is sunk.

thumb

Banned
He definitely needs to take responsibility for his own actions and it looks like whether he likes it or not he has. I was talking more about the company culture theses. One which encourages you to represent them on all fronts. Twit, post, Be MS or whatever company you're with. You can post a thousand normal things but one bad moment and your ship is sunk.

I suspect that it is the "one bad moment" part that needs to be unpacked. Many bad moments are seemingly recoverable with apology and explanation. For whatever reason, these were not forthcoming from Adam after the controversy started.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
No need for Twitter training. Anyone who is in a position where NDA's are involved should just do the following:

Delete Twitter Account
Delete Facebook Account

Sadly people have an ego and want to be noticed by everyone and so all it takes is one screw up and done.

OR just don't put NDA'ed stuff on those websites. Is it really that hard?

Well...a bad moment that potentially violates an NDA while simultaneously insulting swaths of potential customers is a pretty bad moment.

Salz01

iZ4Xc7uzxvJUA.gif

sunhi being sunhi :D

Omg this is awesome. I can't stop laughing. Genius.

JDSN

Banned
Dark Dragon droping those thruth bombs:
Jeff Green ‏@Greenspeak 16min
When I've gotten "in trouble" for tweeting, it's always been my own fault. No one else's. Even if I was "right" the tweets were wrong.

Microsoft probably would prefer to have someone in that role that they can trust to act appropriately.

This is really the only important point out of this whole thing. If your Twitter account advertises your position with an incredibly powerful corporation, a little decorum should be expected.

Never heard of Jeff Green but I like him now :) I was already a big fan of several PopCap games.

And yeah, EDGE has always been pretentious. LET'S DESTROY THEM! MWAHAHAHAHA

Edge said:
Increasingly, the games industry is keen to woo the NeoGAF community, such is its influence.

I love how they say this like it's such a foreign fucking concept that the gaming industry is trying to listen to its customers.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
EDGE are pretentious. Really can't stand them. Glad somebody's got the back of a huge mass of people that are responsible for nothing.

Honestly. Anyone on NeoGAF is just posting stuff on the internet. If a high level manager at MS can't be held accountable for doing just that, there's no way NeoGAF can be.

dokish

Banned
Nobody forced him to use his twitter account registered to his real name and clearly identifying him as MS employee.

He could have easily created a private Twitter account just for that sort of horsing around with close friends and family. He could have easily used a private message, or a protocol/service that is not by default broadcasting every little thing one says for the world to see.

He did not.

Everything he typed could be traced back to him, and in turn, his employer. He knew that, and yet he posted stuff of questionable nature anyway.

Can't argue with that.

Gaf is a digital Death Note?

I like this idea.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Was this posted already?

BbAH+

I have to agree. They seem to refer GAF as a hivemind when the site has strict policies against this kind of thought, and even people that blame it on this kind of thought have been told that the site is not like this.

People have opinions, and there's of course a more popular one, or a more talked one. But that doesn't mean that all thousands of members think like this.

Now Neo GAF is trying to destroy Edge too? Where will it all end?

Well of course we are, just look at this post from the EDGE thread:

EDGE took some screenshots, too. Game Informer's.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The EDGE article isn't actually that inflammatory.

Maybe I need to reread it, but I never felt like it was assigning blame to anyone.

Adam Orth, I'm sorry you lost your job. But this is nobody's fault but your own, and the company you work for.

Sorry. You decided to use a social networking site to be pretty rude, and people caught on.
The namecalling and bullying that happened are detestable, but that has nothing to do with why your employer canned you.

Also, Microsoft, if you weren't so tight-lipped about all this shit, maybe people wouldn't be speculating, and maybe Adam's comments would've gone unnoticed.

Orth's Tweets were rude, and pretty dumb on his part. As inconsequential they probably should have been, that's not the way it turned out. I feel sorry for the guy.

Nope, Microsoft isn't at fault here. Orth is a grown ass man and is responsible for the things he says and does. Microsoft is beholden to their shareholders, not people who might be speculating. They are allowed to announce what they want, when they want, and don't owe it to Orth, the gaming press (like that other ridiculous thread said), or anyone else to do it on anyone's timetable but their own. The same holds true for Nintendo, Sony, or any other company. Orth simply should have known better

zroid

Banned
I'm sure someone said this already ages ago, but I can't resist

Good night, sweet billy

edit: third post, by the man himself. I am shamed but I have no regrets. >.>

Ensoul

Well not happy about anybody being fired. I am sure this has been said but the fact is even when you're not on the clock and you work for a company you still have to compose yourself in a certain way. While he is not Microsoft or speaks for them when he said that stuff represents the company to many people. I suppose Microsoft didn't did appreciate he arrogant better than thou comments either.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
So the guy says totally stupid things to people on twitter, internet gets mad, guy gets fired, so it must be Gaf's fault right? Hah well if things should keep up at this pace that Pachter documentary about NeoGaf is gonna need to be a trilogy.

inky

Was this posted already?

BbAH+

Well, this Jeff Green person posts on GAF too I think, so it's only natural he would say such inflammatory and outrageous things that do not align with the reality of the game press out there at all.

Good grief.

Well, this Jeff Green person posts on GAF too I think, so it's only natural he would say such inflammatory and outrageous things that do not align with the reality of the game press out there at all.

Good grief.
Is it really inflammatory and outrageous to suggest people are responsible for their own actions?

Or are you being sarcastic? I'm terrible at noticing sarcasm.

Top Bottom