• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Leaked document detailing MS future plans for the Xbox line. 56 pages long.

If someone made this as a fake, wouldn't be more to-date? You'd think the person would want to have the biggest splash possible.

mQdmn.jpg

they must be gone crazy with those glasses...

Microsoft can't even think of original ideas in their prototype stage.

qCrXu.jpg
8D

Levyne

Banned
Some of you guys really don't believe someone would go through all the work to make such a long fake? What? You underestimate a lot of people, I think.

I really don`t think that`s fake.

So MS wants to launch their new "always on" console (4-6* the power of the 360) with Kinect 2.0 2013 for 299 and cost them 225 to make after 8 fucking years.

Jep, they got cheap and want to offer a weakling.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
It does remind of power point presentations at work from our marketing department. But they do it better

Surely MS can use MS Powerpoint better than that.

However, it's a highly plausible and lengthy fake. Like a dozen hours invested fake. It's crazy enough to be true. I dunno.

androvsky

That thing positively screams MBA project. And yes, 56 pages is not unusual for those.

From the last page.
What are our principles. Are we going to have Android or Microsoft. What do we want to do about application versioning.

Case study for iOS, Android, Windows, Xbox, etc.

edit: Oh great, so this is where the ARM/x86 thing came from. >_<

Arcteryx

I'd say it's real but it looks like some super quick brainstorming stuff more than anything. The "Todd" at the end is Todd Holmdahl I'm assuming.

Fake or real, all of the stuff mentioned seemed pretty plausible. I think they're definitely taking the "cheap, but profitable on day 1" approach to things.

Get enough power to do some better looking games at 1080p and run all these apps or whatever, but not necessarily "omg generation leap grafx at all costs"

teh_pwn

Fake or real, all of the stuff mentioned seemed pretty plausible. I think they're definitely taking the "cheap, but profitable on day 1" approach to things.

Get enough power to do some better looking games at 1080p and run all these apps or whatever, but not necessarily "omg generation leap grafx at all costs"

Yep, very plausible. The physical dimensions of it, targeting TV streaming box competition, specs, all seem realistic. Nothing jarring sticking out that is absurd.

Anyway, I would be pleased if this is real. Would mean that PC ports will look great.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

This article makes me feel it is kind of more ridiculous now.

Wolfe said AMD made the deal with ARM largely because it wanted to incorporate ARM's TrustZone security technology into its future APUs. AMD originally planned to develop its own security platform for APUs, but ultimately determined it made more sense from a customer perspective to go with an industry-standard solution, TrustZone, that has been around since 2004 and is backed by a comprehensive ecosystem.

"We wanted to leverage ARM's TrustZone and extend it into the x86 space," Wolfe said.

^What does this really gain Microsoft in terms of performance relative to the amount of silicon used?

UberTag

It does remind of power point presentations at work from our marketing department. But they do it better

Surely MS can use MS Powerpoint better than that.
I've seen some pretty dastardly MS PowerPoint presentations over the past seven years.
You forget that it's a big organization and that Office training isn't exactly a prerequisite to working there.

USC-fan

Banned
Probably fake since the dates are already wrong on some of the stuff.(i.e. new dashboard hit in 2011, not 2012. There is no sign of the new model 360 described and the "XTV" sure seems like something that would have been revealed at E3 if it's coming some time this year.

Edit-Also on page 49 it talks about new Live tiers for 2011. Didn't happen and if these "plans" are already that far off a year later, then it's not worth a whole lot even if it's somehow a real thing done by real people at Microsoft.
New $15 a month live just launch with the $99 xbox360.

Rahul

Definitely real and actually quite revealing:

- MS has a Google Project Glass competitor in the works called Fortaleza
- Smart Glass has been part of the plan all along and isn't a response to the Wii U
- The next Xbox will finally be the "one device" to rule them all
- "Never upgrade your hardware again" implies no plans for a traditional 720 successor or 5 year lifetime
- All of this will be presented clumsily and in stages, preventing anyone from seeing the big picture as it's described here :)

For the people complaining that it "doesn't look like a real document": at companies like Microsoft, you don't worry about how the powerpoint looks internally. You just put stuff on it and present. So in fact the worse, more rushed it looks, the likelier it's real ;-)

ARM/x86 is my favorite processor architecture after PowerPC/StayPuftMarshmallow.

The only way it makes sense to me is if they were somehow undecided between AMD X86 small Jaguar type cores and ARM. So it's Arm or x86, not both.

Mind you, you start having to really stretch to justify this document like that, and I doubt it's real.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
This is fake

3 CPUs, 2 GPUs, flash cache (SLC... Expensive) and flash storage (MLC... In replacement of HDDs? Lol. Not anywhere close to fruition cost:storage)

PCIe? (This would not be helpful for a closed system, at all.) DisplayPort? (Why? Theres almost no point in having displayport) Cellular tech? (Old cell tech, even in 2010.. Everyone KNEW LTE was upcoming)

And OEM licensing?

$299 while maintaining margins?

Yeah, ok.

This article makes me feel it is kind of more ridiculous now.

^What does this really gain Microsoft in terms of performance relative to the amount of silicon used?

If you want to have low power standby system ARM cores are the best, but hey, I have no idea what it means in the slides. Maybe it wasn´t decided at the time of writing.

But the combination of x86 and ARM is certainly realistic.

teh_pwn

This is fake

3 CPUs, 2 GPUs, flash cache (SLC... Expensive) and flash storage (MLC... In replacement of HDDs? Lol. Not anywhere close to fruition cost:storage)

PCIe? (This would not be helpful for a closed system, at all.) DisplayPort? (Why? Theres almost no point in having displayport) Cellular tech? (Old cell tech, even in 2010.. Everyone KNEW LTE was upcoming)

And OEM licensing?

$299 while maintaining margins?

Yeah, ok.

The CPUs look dirt cheap. Low power, low frequency. The second GPU is probably cheap, just for TV streaming mode to reduce power/heat/noise.

I've seen Intel's roadmap, and they're doing something crazy with products with ridiculous numbers of processors and instruction sets to do vector stuff.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard

- Smart Glass has been part of the plan all along and isn't a response to the Wii U
- "Never upgrade your hardware again" implies no plans for a traditional 720 successor or 5 year lifetime
- All of this will be presented clumsily and in stages, preventing anyone from seeing the big picture as it's described here :)

For the people complaining that it "doesn't look like a real document": at companies like Microsoft, you don't worry about how the powerpoint looks internally. You just put stuff on it and present. So in fact the worse, more rushed it looks, the likelier it's real ;-)

hahaha.

Or whoevers behind "nukezilla" a little known site looking for hits, faked them.

If they created it, why didn't they release the whole document at the time? Why would you fake a 50+ page power point, commission that much art and then just write 4 pull-quote articles?

~Kinggi~

Banned

I have found this to be true too. The followup threads are always "wait, that was actually real, lol!"

Your other points though, I have no idea.

Sean

Banned
It's not a new tier(still Gold) and it didn't come out in 2011.

While I agree this is probably fake, that part turning out false (so far) doesn't necessarily prove anything imo.

MS raised the price of Live ($50 to $60) around the same time this document was supposedly written, it's not out of the question that they'd be thinking of introducing new tiers as well. They could've decided against it or decided to wait until the next-gen console before changing any tiers.

Cartman86

Banned
Slides saying it's an always on DVR and supports linear TV sounds (presumably through an HDMI pass-through) too smart and perfect to be true. I mean they could ruin Apple in the TV department if all this shit was true.

EDIT: Funny seeing the slide predicting PS4 will have Google TV built in. Making it exactly like the 720. The person who wrote this whether Microsoft or not seems obsessed with the all in one media device in the home idea. Sounds like I wrote it.

While I agree this is probably fake, that part turning out false (so far) doesn't necessarily prove anything imo.

MS raised the price of Live ($50 to $60) around the same time this document was supposedly written, it's not out of the question that they'd be thinking of introducing new tiers as well. They could've decided against it or decided to wait until the next-gen console before changing any tiers.

It's only one of many things wrong with the timeline and road map. If it does happen to be a real Microsoft document, then there is enough wrong or changed that it doesn't really tell us anything since so many things aren't in line with what really happened.

Yup. Used to work at AT&T and I can vouch for seeing shitty internal powerpoints.

Reason..fake: MS has never refered the next xbox as xbox720

Activision and Bungie refer to it as the Xbox 720 in leaked court documents.

~Kinggi~

Banned
All i want from this is full hardware BC. That would be awesome. I hate the concept of having old games i cant play. I got a crap ton of ps2 games that i cant play right now cause my old ps2 is dieing and i cant find a new one to buy thats under 200$ since they must have discontinued them.

Hey You

If true, then awesome. I want just one box for all my media stuff (I want to use it as my Shaw digital box).

The glasses stuff sounds lame.

Cartman86

Banned
Also if true I would say you Jaffe's prediction of the death of dedicated gaming consoles is technically correct. I mean this could fully be a generational leap, but if games get played on high powered set-top boxes they aren't really consoles anymore.

GopherD

If it is a true doc, it resembles an internal pitch to try and get a YES/NO to starting Nextbox development. It may actually be true at one point, though it is likely to be completely updated/revised if it is.

Thoraxes

It looks either really fake, or they're going to force motion controls into your only SKU options so that they can make it mandatory because every system comes with one.

Shitty powerpoints aside, it still looks fake as hell, and i've seen more elaborate fakes.

theBishop

Banned
The idea that MS would refer to the next Xbox internally as "720" seems completely insane to me. Jeff_Rigby fails as usual.

fse

All i want from this is full hardware BC. That would be awesome. I hate the concept of having old games i cant play. I got a crap ton of ps2 games that i cant play right now cause my old ps2 is dieing and i cant find a new one to buy thats under 200$ since they must have discontinued them.

amazon has people selling new ones for like $170.

Top Bottom