• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Gundam |OT2| Another 5 years of Gunpla, Origins, and GUNDAMUUUU!

Beth Cyra

but...Jesta!

Seriously, this is one of my favorite UC designs ever. I like elite mooks a lot, though the Jesta is supposed to be a Gudam in all but name.

I thought you liked the Delta Plus as well?

I wasn't thinking Unicorn for that, but you do bring up a good point.

I adore Delta Plus (though like the Shiki I don't know if its a gundam or any delta is outside of Delta Kai and Delta Gundam) and I also very much enjoy Banshee Final Battle and Banshee Norn Final Battle.

Should've had those listed.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I think the Unicron, especially untransformed, is the ugliest flagship suit in the series. Transformed...it's still the worst.

Beth Cyra

I think the Unicron, especially untransformed, is the ugliest flagship suit in the series. Transformed...it's still the worst.

Ill be honest Im a weirdo (not that we needed more evidence) in that I like Banshee and Unicorn more in Unicorn mode then Destroy mode.

There's no Gundam design in the UC I like that comes chronologically after the Nu.

Generally... I'd kind of agree. Nu is amazing. Just great, really. I do like the Zeta design though.

I don't love the RX-78-2 design, but I respect it. It's the OG after all. I really don't like the ZZ though.

As for the Unicorn. It's alright, but kind of boring. The Full Armor is pretty neat though.

Late UC... F91 is good enough. I really like the Victory a lot though. And the V2 isn't bad.

I will say this though, I don't really like Gundam designs that much in general, and AUs are only worse (for the most part). The best mech designs come from other suits.

I think my favorites tend to be the 80s OVA designs like the GP series or the Alex. Something about that 80s aesthetic that can't be topped for me.

Second Victory takes the best parts of both Victory and V2, if only it weren't a novel-only suit. Though F91 will always be top for me, especially with the metal build's redesign.

RangerBAD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl7GJBFpTW8
Thunderbolt episode 5 is on youtube
Also, a preview poster for episode 6:
igo58hP.jpg

Looks like they're already going to cover Volume 6 and the antarctic battle

How did you get this to work with subtitles on youpak?

RangerBAD

These along with FAZZ are my favorites. Nothing that followed really captured the same aesthetic.

I always attributed to F91+ and AU suits being smaller to the kits being cheaper to make.

That's what Bandai thought, but they were wrong.

wikipedia said:
In-universe, the shortening of mobile suits was explained as a way to combat the ever-growing costs of producing larger and larger mobile suits. In the same way, the model kits would also decrease in terms of manufacturing cost. In reality, however, as 1/144 scale model kits were becoming the norm instead of 1/100, the cost to develop new technology to color smaller kits and to create smaller, more articulated joints, among other things, actually drove the production cost up. However, this in-universe explanation met with dissatisfaction by fans of the franchise, especially model kit fans, so after retaining the smaller size through Mobile Suit Victory Gundam, starting with Mobile Fighter G Gundam the mobile suits were gradually increased in size once again. By the release of Turn-A Gundam and G-Saviour, the titular mobile suits stood at 20 and 18 meters, respectively.

casiopao

There's no Gundam design in the UC I like that comes chronologically after the Nu.

But Penelope and Xi is cool.O_O

Truth though, UC non Gundam design had always to be much better lol.^^ That Qubeley family and Kaempfer is GOD. The O is also wonderful and makes me sad that we won't find The O 2.T_T

But Penelope and Xi is cool.O_O

Truth though, UC non Gundam design had always to be much better lol.^^ That Qubeley family and Kaempfer is GOD. The O is also wonderful and makes me sad that we won't find The O 2.T_T
I thought I was the only one that like The O?! I swear Kamille and Paptimus advanced mobile suit design by light years. I actually like how a lot of suits from Zeta were still relevant in Unicorn.

Llyranor

I'm 10 episodes into 0083 and quite enjoying it. The animation is just great. The story/writing, while not the best, is not as terrible as I thought it would be based on what some people would say (some of it is pretty dumb, like that drunk playboy pilot, but being OVA-paced the story doesn't linger on the BS for too long).

But I know about Nina, and people's hatred for her. So far she hasn't been so bad (not nearly as annoying as some of the cast in Zeta, for example). But, how bad does it get? Is it Quess-level bad? I need to be mentally prepared.

I'm 10 episodes into 0083 and quite enjoying it. The animation is just great. The story/writing, while not the best, is not as terrible as I thought it would be based on what some people would say (some of it is pretty dumb, like that drunk playboy pilot, but being OVA-paced the story doesn't linger on the BS for too long).

But I know about Nina, and people's hatred for her. So far she hasn't been so bad (not nearly as annoying as some of the cast in Zeta, for example). But, how bad does it get? Is it Quess-level bad? I need to be mentally prepared.

Exaggerated. There is one moment in the last episode that is...odd? But overall she's fine.

Like Megalosaro says, it's exaggerated. Nina is a pretty complex character when you get down to it, But she's not out and out insane like some of the other Gundam girls and while I haven't seen CCA recently, Quess still feels out and out far more bizarre than Nina. It's never bothered me as much as other people, although 0083 is my favorite Gundam.

Also, at 10 episodes in, you could probably start to guess what'll happen in the 13th episode that urked some people so bad. The show drops enough hints that it really shouldn't feel out of left field. But I guess we'll see? :p

NEO0MJ

it was 150 @ hlj but i'm not with you there, it's worth 200. maybe you're not into metal builds. do you own any? it's easier to take your post more seriously if you do =)

I haven't bought any yet, nothing I really want. Destiny Looks nice but I'm not in a position to burn money right now.
It would be different if you make MBs for some of the mobile suits I really like such as Master Gundam, Tallgeese, or Turn X.

I thought I was the only one that like The O?! I swear Kamille and Paptimus advanced mobile suit design by light years. I actually like how a lot of suits from Zeta were still relevant in Unicorn.

Brah, the O was my first MG.

7007245937_fe494b0e83_b.jpg

NEO0MJ

The o is one of my favorites

R/e 100 update please

The MG is really good but its held back by one major gripe, which is that they only provided two beam saber effects, even though the O needs four. Because of this I refused to buy it until it was on sale.

The MG is really good but its held back by one major gripe, which is that they only provided two beam saber effects, even though the O needs four. Because of this I refused to buy it until it was on sale.

Bothered the hell out of me, too.

Also, the poseability of the kit seems a bit lacking for a suit released the time that it was. Rather disappointed with how limited the skirt (and subsequently the skirt arms) could move.

firelogic

oh amazon ca don't carry them? damn didn't know that...

oh one place i forgot to mention but haven't been there in a while. don't know if there's one Canada. i heard from several Gundam GAFer's on here barnes and nobles sell gunpla kits. when they have a coupon promotion, i heard it's pretty worth it.

Yeah it sucks. We don't have B&N either lol. We have Chapters/Indigo but they don't sell gunpla kits. Only Gundam related manga.

In other news, anybody picking up the RG Gold Frame Amatsu Mina? I was going to get the RG 00-Raiser next, but the Gold Frame looks sooo SICK!

TheFlow

Banned
I would buy the mg but the price and age makes me want to invest in something more recent.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Gundam Wing must have the lowest death rate of plot important characters in Gundam history.

Treize, the Five Scientists, Noventa, Septum, The White Fang leader guy, The guy who made the mobile dolls, Releena and Quatre's dad. Wu Fei's master. A couple of those are stretching it

Gundam Wing must have the lowest death rate of plot important characters in Gundam history.

Treize, the Five Scientists, Noventa, Septum, The White Fang leader guy, The guy who made the mobile dolls, Releena and Quatre's dad. Wu Fei's master. A couple of those are stretching it

It has the lowest non plot death too, since most MSes that are destroyed are dolls

Voror

Had a break in between but finished all the stickers for the RG Wing Zero EW finally. Turned out pretty well though some were a hassle to get on right. Need to get a stand though I think because with that backpack he can't stay up straight.

Next up is a RG Strike Freedom which I got last year for a decent price at a local place. Just haven't gotten around to it till now.

I admit I'm also thinking of picking up some of the HG for IBO as I actually like a lot of the designs from that show and they aren't too pricey. Just not sure what to start with of those I'm eyeing lol.

I also want to get the Freedom 2.0 at some point as I've heard some great things about it.

I haven't seen anything on it but has there been any word on new versions of G kits?

My roommate walked in on me watching gundam iii yesterday. Right before Lalah dies

Him: "haven't you seen this before? "
Me: yeah. Several times.
Him: "I guess you're okay rewatching a show that was good but not great.
<Lalah death happens>
Him: that's dank. What did I just watch.

It bothered him and he was thinking about it the rest of the day

My roommate walked in on me watching gundam iii yesterday. Right before Lalah dies

Him: "haven't you seen this before? "
Me: yeah. Several times.
Him: "I guess you're okay rewatching a show that was good but not great.
<Lalah death happens>
Him: that's dank. What did I just watch.

It bothered him and he was thinking about it the rest of the day
Sounds like he was haunted by it just like Char and Amuro were.

Beth Cyra

Had a break in between but finished all the stickers for the RG Wing Zero EW finally. Turned out pretty well though some were a hassle to get on right. Need to get a stand though I think because with that backpack he can't stay up straight.

Next up is a RG Strike Freedom which I got last year for a decent price at a local place. Just haven't gotten around to it till now.

I admit I'm also thinking of picking up some of the HG for IBO as I actually like a lot of the designs from that show and they aren't too pricey. Just not sure what to start with of those I'm eyeing lol.

I also want to get the Freedom 2.0 at some point as I've heard some great things about it.

I haven't seen anything on it but has there been any word on new versions of G kits?
Be careful on SF knee joint, mine snapped right apart during the build.

Just the HGs from a few years back but we are bound to see a new MG/Hg/RE one day soon I'd imagine.

Voror

If you can find it for a decent price I highly recommend the Wings of the Sky expansion for it.

Ooh very nice.

Be careful on SF knee joint, mine snapped right apart during the build.

Just the HGs from a few years back but we are bound to see a new MG/Hg/RE one day soon I'd imagine.

I'll keep that in mind, thank you.

Oh, that must be that Master Gundam HG I saw some time ago. It'd be great to see some more. I'd love an MG of Shining or God.

Llyranor

Finished 0083. Really enjoyed it. Great mecha designs, animations, and epic space battles - I am content. The characters/writing/story were not amazing by any means, but it served its purpose in pushing the series forward (I was actually fine with Nina as a character ultimately - it never irked me to the extent of the awfulness of
Reccoa's betrayal
in Zeta or Quess/Hathaway in CCA). OVA pacing was fast-enough that it never lingered too long on the negatives, and the positives might make this my favorite Gundam series so far. 8th MS and 0080 are close by. I'd place all the OVAs above the original MS Gundam (which is not bad but the dated animation holds it back for me) and Zeta (some characters I really did not like and found way worse than Nina) and CCA (if only it had only focused on the Amuro/Char rivalry - it would have been a grand space epic with awesome animations).

I love the GP02 design so much.

Now, on to Unicorn OVA, I suppose!

Don't like Seed but love how beefy the Providence is so I went out today to buy it!

Got to the mall and saw the 5,000yen price and took a pass on it for now lol. Instead I came back with this!

Money was burning a hole in my pocket clearly lol.

Don't like Seed but love how beefy the Providence is so I went out today to buy it!

Got to the mall and saw the 5,000yen price and took a pass on it for now lol. Instead I came back with this!

Money was burning a hole in my pocket clearly lol.

I feel so stupid that I didn't realize these existed. I'm gonna have to buy myself the whole set at some point now!

Voror

Managed to get that knee part on the RG Strike Freedom but it took a while. I can see how that could easily get snapped apart.

Didn't realize that the Glory of the Losers manga for Gundam Wing had gotten licensed. Is that considered any good? I know it's supposed to be a more complete version with all the backstory and stuff that got cut from the anime incorporated, but that's about all I know.

Got my sister on a Gundam kick via talking with her about it. She's planning to rewatch her favorites which are Wing and SEED and asked me for recommendations which I gave. It's funny because she doesn't exactly feel Wing holds up in several aspects and admits she likes SEED the most for the side characters. She told me recently she decided to watch it originally because she thought she'd hate it, which I don't quite get.

Top Bottom