• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
Best episode of the season for me. I enjoyed most of the changes/additions. Random thoughts:

-Scenes with the Greyjoys were really great, Theon's actor brings a lot to the character. HBO is definitely doing a great job of building him up

-Brienne is friggin' HUGE, almost two heads taller than Catelyn. I didn't really picture her that tall, but I like it. Brienne was pretty awesome.

-Tyrion is a boss of bosses. His scenes with the members of the council was hilarious.

-The scenes with Margarey made sense within the episode to be honest, although I hope they don't shoehorn the Tyrells anymore later on.

-I'll never understand the changes made to Shae. She's really unlikeable.

-Speaking of unlikeable, a shame they turned Sansa's bitchmode on right after they succeeded in making her sympathetic. The fug?

All in all a very enjoyable time, although the series still struggles with exposition.

Altazor

really liked the episode, though I wanted that confrontation at the end to be a bit more epic and/or emotional. Missed that "HOT PIE!!" battlecry :(

Apart from that, it was a great episode. Brienne was perfect. Margaery looks devious and innocent and the same time (SERIES SPOILER)
and I guess we now "know" she isn't really a virgin, just "officially", lol
. Tyrion was a boss. Lena's acting as Cersei has improved a lot and... the whole ironborn scenes were really, really good - Alfie Allen did great. Hating Balon Greyjoy at the moment... (which is intended, anyway :p)

Can't wait for next week!!

EDIT: I can't believe I forgot the editing during the Tyrion meeting with Pycelle/Varys/Littlefinger scene. Absolutely wonderful.

Magnus

Question for readers of ACoK and AFFC:

Please keep in mind as you answer that I've only read the first couple chapters of AFFC:

Isn't the Drowned God 'annointing' of Ironmen a process that involves actually drowning soldiers, and then reviving them? Hence, the title of the episode and the Ironmen mantra, What is Dead May Never Die? as per the first chapter in AFFC with Damphair.

And in ACoK, did Theon go through that full 'baptism', or did he just get showered with water as per the episode we just watched?

Again, please, if you answer this, I've only read the first couple chapters of AFFC. Please don't spoil anything for me. Thanks.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
My only complaint is that Yara comes off as a bit creepy. A little too much dark makeup around the eyes and face mixed with her portrayal of Asha. Asha was a little more upbeat and playful in the book instead of serious and always trying to strike at Theon.

stupei

Loved it.

Was a bit bummed that they cut Brienne's response to Catelyn's "knights of summer," but really expected that. It's a very literary and stylized touch to have her respond that way but (characterization spoiler? does that count?)
I always felt it sort of fit Brienne to have her say something that sounds straight out of a fairytale.

aceface

Hardcore iron born literally get drowned and brought back to life with CPR or some shit. Theon never did that though cause he never really cared about religion. He just got the seawater bath Ike we see in the episode.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Question for readers of ACoK and AFFC:

Please keep in mind as you answer that I've only read the first couple chapters of AFFC:

Isn't the Drowned God 'annointing' of Ironmen a process that involves actually drowning soldiers, and then reviving them? Hence, the title of the episode and the Ironmen mantra, What is Dead May Never Die? as per the first chapter in AFFC with Damphair.

And in ACoK, did Theon go through that full 'baptism', or did he just get showered with water as per the episode we just watched?

Again, please, if you answer this, I've only read the first couple chapters of AFFC. Please don't spoil anything for me. Thanks.

No, that is why Aeron has so little respect for other priests. He is a bad ass to do it for real.

Piecake

Yeah they are totally fucking up Shae. Other than that, awesome.

Never really liked her character anyways. Though i always felt that character's existence was to
shed light on Tyrion's weakness and insecurity. not doing a good job of that in the show so far, so seems pretty damn pointless right now

rApart from that, it was a great episode. Brienne was perfect. Margaery looks devious and innocent and the same time (SERIES SPOILER)
and I guess we now "know" she isn't really a virgin, just "officially", lol

Margaery on the show is clearly a different character, it means nothing for the series.

LordCanti

Oh man, that was a great episode. I especially loved the little addition of Margaery asking Renly if he'd like to bone the both of them together. I know that purists will hate it (they've taken something that was subtle and hinted at and made it full blown) but I enjoyed it.

I know they probably had Brienne in platform shoes, but the effect was fantastic; She really looked like she'd be a legitimate warrior within that universe. I generally wasn't a huge fan of hers in the books
her portions are so drawn out
but I think she'll be great on the show.

Next episode:
Shadow babeh. It's time.

aceface

Never really liked her character anyways. Though i always felt that character's existence was to
shed light on Tyrion's weakness and insecurity. not doing a good job of that in the show so far, so seems pretty damn pointless right now

Well in the book she exudes a sort of irresistible sexiness....even though Tyrion knows that she is dumb and that he shouldn't be doing her he can't resist....it the show she's just annoying and I don't see any good reason why he doesn't kick her to the curb. They should show at least some good reason why he's putting himself out there for her.

KingK

I've gotta say, the show is making me enjoy the Iron Islands story a lot more than I did in the book. I think it helps that they're making Theon a bit less of an unapologetic asshole than he was in the book.

Preview for next episode spoiler
Looks like the Tickler is in the next episode, as well as Renly's peach.

Also, (ADWD)
I'm really hoping they get far enough in the show to have the Theon/Reek scenes from the fifth book now. I really want to see how well Alfie Allen could do those parts.

Vespene

Pretty much every scene on this episode was perfectly executed.

Also... [all books]
did Margaery know that Renly fucked her brother? I don't recall this but I think the queen of thorns implies to Sansa that the Tyrells knew of Renly's sexuality. I guess they're just telegraphing it here. What a wonderful scene with Margaery! Proposing a 3 way with siblings? Holy shit! This was better handled than in the books I believe.

BlueTsunami

Pretty much every scene on this episode was perfectly executed.

Also... [all books]
did Margaery know that Renly fucked her brother? I don't recall this but I think the queen of thorns implies to Sansa that the Tyrells knew of Renly's sexuality. I guess they're just telegraphing it here. What a wonderful scene with Margaery! Proposing a 3 way with siblings? Holy shit! This was better handled than in the books I believe.

I assumed she knew since Loras and Margaery are so close but don't remember he being so blunt about it to Renly in the books

Piecake

Yea, so far I am liking the iron islands stuff a lot more than i liked it in the books. series , i guess
Dont really know how to explain it besides the PoV Island characters kinda sucking, and them just having a different feel or tone than the rest of the characters - that i simply dont like. Theon and asha are alright, but the rest of those pov characters are just straight, YARR i be a viking pirate priest asshole!. Luckily, the show doesnt have any of that crap, and i expect i will be liking the iron islands in future episodes because of that

aceface

Once again within 10 minutes of me thinking "I hope they show her topless" she's walking around topless...dat Natalie Dormer...thank you HBO.

LordCanti

Also... [all books]

I don't think it's handled better, it's just handled differently. In the books [full series/all books spoilers]
you never knew if she was in on some sort of scheme, or if she was just an innocent girl. The reveal came much later. Now the viewer knows what to expect of her going forward instead of being surprised. I liked it though.

stupei

Really clever adaptation in so many places tonight too. Very smart to reintroduce Myrcella at dinner with Cersei and Sansa to remind non-readers who she is right before we see Tyrion use her at the center of his plan.

Margaery on the show is clearly a different character, it means nothing for the series.

Kind of disagree. (AFFC)
It's pretty obvious in later books that Margaery isn't the naive innocent she appears to be at first. She knows what's up and is able to outwit Cersei at her own game, so it's not a stretch to imagine she's as savvy as she's being portrayed here. The difference is that Margaery is supposed to at least outwardly appear as innocent and naive as someone like Sansa but let's face it, Dormer could never pull off that look. She has a tendency to smolder.
Not saying there aren't differences, but I don't really think this Margaery is that much of a departure.

BlueTsunami

Yea, so far I am liking the iron islands stuff a lot more than i liked it in the books. series , i guess
Dont really know how to explain it besides the PoV Island characters kinda sucking, and them just having a different feel or tone than the rest of the characters - that i simply dont like. Theon and asha are alright, but the rest of those pov characters are just straight, YARR i be a viking pirate priest asshole!. Luckily, the show doesnt have any of that crap, and i expect i will be liking the iron islands in future episodes because of that

In this case I think it helps immensely having Theon's PoV condensed on the show where it sort of meanders in the book. The book takes the bite out of the region by lingering way too long. I also really dig how they've humanized Balon.

Content Roundup

7fuHJl.jpg

Reviews:
- Westeros.org
- WiC.net
- Onion A|V Club
- EW.com
- memles
- Sepinwall
- Televisionary

HBO Content:
- Preview for next week's episode *please spoiler tag any discussion* (youtube vid)
- Inside the Episode (HBO video, I'll post the youtube copy later if I see it)

I'll put up some additions to this in a new post later tonight. Please remember to spoiler tag any preview discussion and label your book spoilers appropriately. Thank you.

jett

D-Member
Sansa's actress is tall as fuck compared to last season damn. I wonder what will HBO do when Bran grows up.

BTW does anyone know when will we get the
House of Undying
scene? If at all? :p
With how everything is borderline nailed to the floor in how the series is grounded to reality I do wonder how exactly will HBO accomplish that

Piecake

Well in the book she exudes a sort of irresistible sexiness....even though Tyrion knows that she is dumb and that he shouldn't be doing her he can't resist....it the show she's just annoying and I don't see any good reason why he doesn't kick her to the curb. They should show at least some good reason why he's putting himself out there for her.

ACOK
well, in the book, it does a good job of showing that Tyrion simply needs/wants Love, from anyone. And that where Shae comes in. He keeps her because she is good at pretending, and even he almost believes it sometimes. None of that has really gotten across at al in the show though, and i think it hurts Tyrion's character since without that hurt, insecure, needy side, he just comes off as a smart mouth badass. And while thats awesome, its not as awesome or as interesting if Tyrion was protrayed like he is in the books

LordCanti

Sansa's actress is tall as fuck compared to last season damn. I wonder what will HBO do when Bran grows up.

House of Undying
With how everything is borderline nailed to the floor in how the series is grounded to reality I do wonder how exactly will HBO accomplish that

Luckily it's grounded in a reality where dragons exist :p

Kind of disagree. (AFFC)
It's pretty obvious in later books that Margaery isn't the naive innocent she appears to be at first. She knows what's up and is able to outwit Cersei at her own game, so it's not a stretch to imagine she's as savvy as she's being portrayed here. The difference is that Margaery is supposed to at least outwardly appear as innocent and naive as someone like Sansa but let's face it, Dormer could never pull off that look. She has a tendency to smolder.
Not saying there aren't differences, but I don't really think this Margaery is that much of a departure.

I'm not claiming that there isn't common ground, but the age and character differences are significant enough that you can't use the show as evidence about the book character.

BlueTsunami

House of Undying

I hope its trippy as fuck. Oh God, its something I'm gonna kinda worry about now. A particular scene in the books still sticks with me.

scosher

Only complaint was the Sansa/Shae scene. (ACOK)
Did Sansa still act all entitled and bitchy at first in the books as well? I can't remember if she treated her handmaidens poorly as well.

The show Shae is turning into a terrible, annoying character. Or already has turned.

Vespene

House of Undying

I'm pretty sure they're gonna make the whole sequence
play like a hallucinogenic dream sequence. At some poing she's gonna cry for help in her sleep and Drogon is gonna burn the place up to protect her, making her wake up.

And damn... the birth of
Theon Turncloak
!!!

jett

D-Member
Did Sansa still act all entitled and bitchy at first in the books as well? I can't remember if she treated her handmaidens poorly as well.

The show Shae is turning into a terrible, annoying character. Or already has turned.

I don't remember Sansa being the same spoiled brat in ACOK, but I've forgotten much about that book.

And Shae has been terrible from day one.

bengraven

Sansa is one of people's least favorite characters in the books when they start reading them. hha

Sansa is one of people's least favorite characters in the books when they start reading them. hha

On a side note, one of my brothers hates Arya and loves Sansa (he has read all the books). He's been like that ever since the Winterfell feast in GoT when Arya threw food at Sansa lmao

It looks like one of my favorite scenes from the book is coming up next week. At night between Davos and Melisandre. Hope they do that scene justice.

Piecake

I don't remember Sansa being the same spoiled brat in ACOK, but I've forgotten much about that book.

And Shae has been terrible from day one.

I think it makes sense. I took it as more of her trying to exert some sort of control in any aspect of her life since she has absolutely zero. To me, i think that is a pretty natural reaction. Not saying that everyone would do it or does it excuse the behavior, but i dont think i would call that behavior the act of a spoiled, entitled brat (that could be whats happening, but i dont think its necessarily the case)

Vespene

Agreed completely. I would buy an entire book/show/movie/whatever focused solely on Arya. She's probably my favorite character in fiction.

I love Arya, as I do many other characters. As with everything though, part of what makes the show so good is not giving us what we want, when we want it. Everything is better when eaten slowly, relishing every small bite. Of course, this can go wrong if taken to the other extreme,
as evidenced by the books

Kettch

I thought Sansa was fine this time. She's bottling everything up surrounded by Lannisters and finally has someone she can take out her frustrations on. The scene made perfect sense from her side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom