• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is XBL still the superior online service...

Vita might tick most of the checkboxes but it doesn't make it well integrated. You still have to do all the stupid things like sync trophies, download huge patches, load up apps just to do things. There is a massive difference between ticking the checkboxes and providing a quality experience. Sony appear incapable of providing a quality connected experience. Online is still not a fundamental part of the UI.

The vita disconnects from psn to save battery life.. if it was a home console it would sync automatically.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Do people actually say "Ninty" in real life?

For me, yes there is a need. Quite often I am playing with large groups of friends in BF3 and with a limited 8 person chat, some people are left out. Having a full 16 would ensure that all of my friends would be able to talk together. Whether it is through party chat or through in game voice chat, I just want to be able to speak with more people.

If I really need teamwork, it should be in the game? I am not sure what that is supposed to mean exactly but there is no substitute for proper voice communication and coordination.
it means that in the game that required teamwork , you can already chat ( to your whole group ).. As you said it's the best way to coordinate and give the right info to your teammates..And no way XBL party chat is the only answer to solve this problem.

In the many games ( fps or tps ) i've played online i've seen lots and lots of clans that do that just fine ..
If i'm playing Socom with my teammates , why should i be bothered by someone who isn't playing with me ? If i'm playing with that person , i can already chat with her just fine.

Mad as a hatter.

Cross game chat is great and I'm as anti-social as they come.

What kind of logic is that ? i have no need for a feature you love but i'm mad and a hater ?
In what kind of world do you live ? Do you think everyone has the same needs as yours ?

i state my opinion and SUDDENLY i'm a hater ... grow up ...In this day and age people can disagree with you , no need for petty arguments...
-----

Where did i said that i hate XBL ? ( A : i don't )
@statham
Do you think i haven't tried it ? ( A: i already did )

statham

If PS4 requires a subscription to play online then I'm done with console gaming.
Then you are through with consoles. The only reason why Sony hasn't come out with a online service, is because they advertised the shit that online is free. It was a selling point for a $599 console. it would have been a major lawsuit if they ever charged. thus they came up with PS+ . If ps+ saved the money the people claim it saves them, it would be the worst business decision ever, or they need to roll this out to everyone. how is PS+ making money if everyone is saving money?

RedSwirl

Microsoft is a software company, Sony isn't. MS has more experience in making complex operating systems and connected services. Nintendo has a different aim entirely and is still putting a lot of its focus on a market (Japan) that doesn't care about online gaming at all.

Then you are through with consoles. The only reason why Sony hasn't come out with a online service, is because they advertised the shit that online is free. It was a selling point for a $599 console. it would have been a major lawsuit if they ever charged. thus they came up with PS+ . If ps+ saved the money the people claim it saves them, it would be the worst business decision ever, or they need to roll this out to everyone.
or they just expand on ps+ and keep online play free.

PSN for Gaming - Check

Xbox Live for Gaming and Entertainment - Check

Xbox wins.

btw the reason for Xbox live superiority is definitely the R & D of Microsoft.

They wanted to have an entertainment unit and they have succeeded.

Xbox360 is a complete entertainment unit to ME. Back in 2005, no one would have imaged the evolution of the Xbox Live interface/dashboard.

SONY's online stuff is a joke and it is NOT going to change with PS3. Lets hope for better things with PS4.

RedSwirl

Then you are through with consoles. The only reason why Sony hasn't come out with a online service, is because they advertised the shit that online is free. It was a selling point for a $599 console. it would have been a major lawsuit if they ever charged. thus they came up with PS+ . If ps+ saved the money the people claim it saves them, it would be the worst business decision ever, or they need to roll this out to everyone. how is PS+ making money if everyone is saving money?

I honestly might be (when it comes to multi), but then again I already do 90% of my online multiplayer on PC. Man, if there were a PC version of Gears 3 I might not even be paying for Gold.

Plus, what everybody really needs to catch up to is Steam.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Still what about the trophy syncing and apps for friends list and communicating? Hardly well integrate is it?
They are apps, but once you run them, they're there running in multitasking and you don't have to re-launch them when you go in and out of games. I'm not saying they couldn't have been done better, but the features are there, it works well, and it's free (and it's all on a handheld that's less powerful than home consoles too)

Abylim

One of the biggest things seems to be download speed. In Australia, on shitty ADSL2+ it doesnt make a difference.

Both over charge for digital games )here, atleast) and both are laggy if not playing with someone from this country.

I dont consider either to be better than the other, except for the fact that PSN is free, and XBL isnt. In that case, nod fr PSN.

Maybe XBL is fantastic in USA, I hope so. I've never seen, and am basing this off the shit house Australian/PAL whatever its called for here. I miss Canada sometimes =\

see5harp

Instead of talking about features, people should concentrate on usability of an OS. If you concentrate on usability, the whole "but Vita" argument is void. Sony still haven't standardized invites, made the messaging, party, friends features more complicated and unsmooth as possible, and on top of that made multitasking impossible when you are online. I'm looking forward to what Nintendo and Sony brings with their next systems but I'm still not satisfied with either of their efforts right now.

RedSwirl

Honestly a lot of these responses makes me think that the consumer base has been molded to have a set of expectations based on what Microsoft established. MS set the rules for this gen by being the first to get out there and innovate.

Many of MS's innovations are tied so fundamentally to their platform that Sony couldn't hope to copy them. As soon as MS made the first move they won that battle. Nintendo hasn't even decided that they want to offer the same kind of service, plus Japan - still their home base, doesn't give a damn about online gaming. The only company to really catch up with MS (and surpass them in my opinion) is Valve, and that's because they're working in an open platform.

I think Sony's and Nintendo's best chances are in innovating in their own ways - doing things that MS hasn't done yet to create an experience just as attractive. I'm not sure they can thoug since MS is so much more experienced making operating systems. Nintendo knows how to make multiplayer gaming fun though, I feel like they could do something really cool if they were as dead set on online multiplayer as MS is.

Like I said though, if Sony and MS could at least reach Valve's current level that would be cool.

THRILLH0

Banned
It fucking sucks that I have to pay more for 12 months of gold than an American even though the service here offers a fraction of what it does in the states.

Robot Pants

Oh man....I feel sorry for anyone still disillusioned enough to believe Xbox Live isn't the best service of the 3 consoles. The current dashboard is the worst one yet, and definitely (only now) worse than XMB, but overall XBL is by far better than PSN.
I have both, so this isn't Freelance MS PR.

RedSwirl

I'll admit one thing about the PS3 UI though: it's better for watching video than the 360 (outside of all the new services the latter has).

Monocle

Look at how cluttered everything is. It's also pumped full of ads where as Sony's ads are all in one area, and Nintendo's are nonexistent. I don't know how anyone can think the Metro UI is anything but terrible. Aside from their marketing partners, I mean.
The 360's UI is worse than any other console UI I've used. Unintuitive, awkward to navigate, and just plain ugly. The first time I saw it I could hardly believe anyone at Microsoft had approved such a wretched downgrade. I hope someone in the company had the grace to protest before that rubbish was dumped on the heads of paying customers.

Hey You

I'm surprised no one has mentioned how often PSN goes down for "maintenance" and how frequent the updates are.

Again, all part of the reason I gave before. Sony knows hardware, MS knows OS software.

Yeah, I'm surprised people put up with PSN going down for a whole day for what it seems like every month.

Paying for Live is absolutely not something I could stomach.

I also use two PS3's simultaneously with one Netflix account which is nifty.
(Upstairs / Downstairs TV watching)

I don't think it's fair to make it seem like 2006 was Sony's first ever effort. They were doing online stuff just as long as Microsoft - PS2 had the broadband adapter and SOCOM was a 2002 release for example.

It's just that Microsoft did things properly from the start while Sony wasted several years on a flawed strategy and had to play catch up.

that's true, but ps2 online play was pretty much like the dreamcast, gamecube or even the wii, the systems were capable of online gameplay, but the network wasn't there.
no online persona or friends lists. you just booted a game and did whatever mumbo jumbo you had to do to connect and play online.
so yeah, while sony did get into online play before microsoft, i honestly can't compare both services. one is a paid service which has been around for two generations, one is free and that was born this generation. nintendo will(?) create a new service for the wiiU, psn will evolve most likely for ps4, but i doubt any service will ever match xbox live, because that will also evolve next year. the service is more mature than their competitors, no question about it.

Tokubetsu

Because XBL seemingly interrogates your online persona into its online service. I like PSN and love PSN+ but it all stills feels sort of disconnected. I feel no sort of attachment to the service like I do XBL. MS drops you in the middle of the mall, Sony drops you in the garage all the way at the far end of the mall.

This is a greay way to say it. Pretty much how I feel.

theBishop

Banned
I completely agree with the OP that Xbox Live is the king of console multiplayer. The feature set is just better. But personally, I hate paying for online multiplayer, which has always been free. If "Free" is a feature (open to debate), it counts for more than the lacking features on PS3. But that's just me. Technically, there's no argument.

The future is still a big question mark. Sony has made huge gains on PS Vita. Not only including cross-game chat, but also providing a ton of activity info on every game. Whether online or offline, you can pull up a list of what all your friends have done in the game. It's pretty cool. Also, while Near is a weird app, it provides the ability to send challenges to friends. This is brilliantly implemented in Wipeout 2048, and I hope to see it on both next-gen consoles.

If Sony simply implements Vita's feature set on PS4, they'll be in really good shape. But I fully expect Microsoft to deliver some forward-thinking features that none of us have thought of.

Aselith

Able to redeem codes on a website and buy stuff via the web is a great feature that PSN still hasn't replicated. Makes it nice and easy to link others to games.

Free or not free....

the $99 xbox on a 18 month plan seems more like it will happen next gen.....with that in mind id be happy to pay that price for a day 1 next gen console...i think sony would have to follow suite as their would be no way they could compete with that sort of pricepoint.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
My understanding of how it works is that the Vita will not disconnect if you let it go to sleep (regardless of whether or not it is connected to the wall). If you press the sleep button, it forces it to sleep and shuts off the wifi. This is how I have been able to background download with the system in sleep mode.

I've never been connected for that long of a period, mostly due to games shutting off Wifi on their own.

Fixed1979

or they just expand on ps+ and keep online play free.

pretty much. statham's post doesn't make any sense. compare it to a F2P MMO with micro-transactions. PS+ can certainly be a money maker for Sony without having to resort to forcing customers to pay for a service that should be free.

Misguided

Banned
This. Sony's apathy made the choice to be mainly on Xbox an easy choice.

I can't begin to describe the frustration I'd feel on PS3 to grind away at a very hard trophy or game completion itself for weeks, only to have hundreds of teenagers then hack it and get the Platinum in 2 minutes.

All because one of them acquired some poor sap's 100% savedata file, manipulated it and released it on a hack forum. It's that simple. And NO punishment.
For example, some kid sent me a message on PSN asking for my 100% savedata (I ignored it), it turned out he was going down the leaderboard of 100% achievers on one of those 3rd party trophy list sites, someone finally gave it to him, and I check back on the leaderboard days after he asked me, and the leaderboard was already filled with hackers who got the game complete in less than a minute. I really put in work for that completion, too. Very disheartening.

PS3 is like a country with no government or control where the people run with no punishment and no morals. They must think that because Sony isn't doing anything about it (or even knows is more like it) and see others doing it, it must be morally OK to do. But it doesn't matter what I think, it doesn't matter what you think, all that matters is the facts, the fact of the matter is they're manipulating the system and cheating, and the fact is that's wrong. The other fact is they're getting away with it, where on Xbox Live they don't.

I think the problem here is that you actually care that much about trophies.

Card Boy

Banned
I have had a PS3 since 2008 and i know XBL is better than the PSN from just looking it at several of my friends places and at the shops.

I feel like I'm always having to battle the PSN when trying to play online. Even something as simple as sending a text message is slow and clunky.

Also i find it ridiculous that you have to sync trophies and alot of games install trophies on start-up every single time. On Steam, Apple Gamecentre and Xbox its a non-issue and non-intrusive. Why is does it take 3 minutes to see someones trophys?

This is not even mentioning lack cross-game invites and cross game chat and all the random cryptic 800000 error messages and disconnects. I believe the VITA fixes alot the PS3 issues but i always felt the PSN was put together at the last minute.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Able to redeem codes on a website and buy stuff via the web is a great feature that PSN still hasn't replicated. Makes it nice and easy to link others to games.
PSN has had online code redemption for ages, they just suck at educating the public abut their site and they keep moving it. It used to be available at their old PSN account management site which was buried within playstation.com and easy to miss. The Qriocity site also had the ability to redeem PSN codes when they launched it, but that site only worked with territories that offered Qriocity. After the network breach last year they took down both sites and eventually only brought back the Qriocity site which has now been taken down and replaced with the current site over at the SEN.com.

The lack of a official PS Store website is baffling though. The ability to log into Xbox.com, browse the Marketplace, purchase something, and then have it added to your queue at home is a brilliant idea. It's crazy that this gen is almost over and Sony still hasn't done anything in this area (shitty MediaGo does not count).

NIGHT-

Oh.. The slow PS3 download speeds are a fucking joke... Not to mention the slow install times that follow... I'm not kidding, I literally had to wait around 5 hours for Resistance 3 to update and install.. Sony is so far behind right now

Jamesways

So reading some of the replys in this thread, I guess I have the wrong system. PSN does everything xbox live does and more, and is free and not cluttered with adds at every possible turn. Plus fuck MS, because they suck?

Cool, I need to switch to a PS3. Didn't know PSN was so superior to xbox live in every possible way on comparible features, thanks.

coldfoot

Banned
Oh.. The slow PS3 download speeds are a fucking joke... Not to mention the slow install times that follow... I'm not kidding, I literally had to wait around 5 hours for Resistance 3 to update and install.. Sony is so far behind right now
Your experience is not representative overall for PSN. I get 2 mbyte/second downloads from PSN.

Raoh

PSN for Gaming - Check

Xbox Live for Gaming and Entertainment - Check

Xbox wins.

?????

PSN = Blu Ray, Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Instant Video, Browser, 5.1 surround sound, facebook integration for games (sony fails to push successful and new ideas but ND's use of facebook friends for game invites is a nice new feature)

without a paywall.

XBL is nice, it works. But not worth paying for.

XChat is overratted. Only features I really want is cross game invites. It doesn't have to be for everyone, just need it for friends list/clans.

My best comparison for xbox live gold is AOL dialup.

Normal people would pay their isp and you launch your browser of choice to access the web.

AOL members paid their isp AND aol for a portal window to access the same content that non aol members get. Why? Because they think its better, its must be, they pay for it.

Sadly if people chose not to pay for xblg, ms would have dropped the fee and you could have enjoyed all those services for free.

I won't say that psn is better, its not, but xblg is not worth paying for.

pleunv

If only PSN would stop using white text on white background images. IMPOSSIBLE to read. Same thing again last week, instaragequit.

Card Boy

Banned

The think is i believe you. It took me 3 hrs for GT5 over a 13 megabit connection

It takes this guy over 22 minutes from putting the disc in to getting to the title screen and i assume he fast a fast internet connection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ8NhxD0-Ek

I prefer the PS3's online stuff to the 360s. I find the former much cleaner and more attractive - just personal preference.

ckohler

Title updates, for one. It typically goes something like this:

XBOX:
There is a title update for the game you just bought. System automatically logs you out of the service as it downloads and installs the patch. This takes around 10-20 seconds. Game then automatically restarts and you are automatically logged back into the service. You play your game.

PS3:
There is a title update for the game you just bought. System reboots. Your TV looses signal. It begins to download a massive update that takes several minutes. It then proceeds to inform you that it is unzipping and installing the update. The system restarts and your TV looses signal again before returning to the same install screen. Apparently, there is another update to download and install. Repeat this process one or two more times. Finally, you play your game.

Aselith

For real. I can't even imagine how much time it would take for stuff like LBP. Simple firmware updates take ages and they seem to push them out all the time.

Top Bottom