• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Everyone decided it was 100% real even though there was no evidence and we all baited ourselves into thinking it was a real thing. Everyone thinking Stars was a thing basically became a meme

Wasn't Euro gamer a very reliable source before they got Stars wrong?

I remember threads on Gaf where they release hand scribble drawings of what the Switch was way before the Switch was announced.

Everyone decided it was 100% real even though there was no evidence and we all baited ourselves into thinking it was a real thing. Everyone thinking Stars was a thing basically became a meme

I don't know about that. There was a lot of evidence that was reasonable to interpret that the groundwork was being laid for a Switch port. Not only because it was being reported by press outlets as a rumor on good authority, but because of many design decisions evident in Sun/Moon themselves.

Virtually every interface in Sun/Moon is designed to be compatible with a single screen, even when it is to the detriment of the game itself. Plus the follow-models in the game data, which were presumably too stressful for the 3DS to run.

A meme implies it's a joke, or something people repeat ironically, but people connecting the dots strongly believed Stars for Switch was inevitable and certainly didn't feel there was no evidence for their conjecture. We were wrong and all learned a lesson, but calling it a meme seems kind of reductive to something that had really major PR consequences TPC.

But here I am being defensive over nothing. It doesn't matter. I don't know why I felt compelled to make this post. I guess the layover between USM info has me itching for drama.

Puruzi

Banned
I thought Stars was real too, I'm just calling it a meme because the whole thing is a joke to me. Even if it comes from a credible source rumors are just rumors. In the end the whole thing is just hilarious to me and I got a good amount of schadenfreude from the people freaking out about another 3DS game.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Nah, it's been a while but I poked at that Neo guy about Stars after the debunk quite a few times just because before then, I would see him mentioning Stars in every Nintendo thread.

I don't know about that. There was a lot of evidence that was reasonable to interpret that the groundwork was being laid for a Switch port. Not only because it was being reported by press outlets as a rumor on good authority, but because of many design decisions evident in Sun/Moon themselves.

Virtually every interface in Sun/Moon is designed to be compatible with a single screen, even when it is to the detriment of the game itself. Plus the follow-models in the game data, which were presumably too stressful for the 3DS to run.

A meme implies it's a joke, or something people repeat ironically, but people connecting the dots strongly believed Stars for Switch was inevitable and certainly didn't feel there was no evidence for their conjecture. We were wrong and all learned a lesson, but calling it a meme seems kind of reductive to something that had really major PR consequences TPC.

But here I am being defensive over nothing. It doesn't matter. I don't know why I felt compelled to make this post. I guess the layover between USM info has me itching for drama.

Your post actually jogged my memory. Medically speaking I have a jacked brain for reasons and it affects my memory. Sometimes more sometimes less. Up until I read your post I was in a mind set that I imagined alot of what you described. There actually was alot of hinting and leaking pointing to Stars and you're right about the way Sun/Moon was built. It does feel like it was made for a single screen. Makes sense why Game Freak got rid of my precious PSS for that crap Festival Plaza. Didn't think that the 3DS was too weak to support the Pokémon following feature though. I just figured they'll save that for the 3rd version or in this case the Ultra games.

I'm bored, watching Youtube, and

Why is there such a hard on with having the Kanto region as a secondary region for every new Pokémon game?

Doesn't make any sense. Johto did it but I think that's clearly the exception and not the rule. Someone mentions Kanto in a Pokémon game, 20 theory videos pops up on Youtube using the reference mentioned as proof the next Pokémon games will have Kanto in it. Player character moved from Kanto,
Lili moved to Kanto
. Pokémon tubers: Well shit, I guess we're going to Kanto in the next game or man I hope Kanto is added on in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon because the character moved from there and
Lili moved there
. It was the same pre Sun and Moon. Kanto, kanto, Kanto!

Thinking about it more. I wouldn't want two regions in one game again. I rather Game Freak make the regions bigger. I'm on my 3rd play through of Sun and this region feels small compared to the other region. It feels small and doesn't feel dense. I don't think there's enough to do in the games. Instead of a second region in any games going foward why not say "man, I wish we get some fleshed out side quest." Or "a bigger and more fleshed out Delta stories that retakes us accross the region for the post game with a battle frontier added on after that."

****Spoiler tags has legit spoilers in them!!!****

CassSept

Yeah, that's simply baiting for clicks, do a video with a stupid title (e.g. 'KANTO hinted in POKEMON SUN/MOON!!??') with a colorful background and a stupid face in the thumbnail and you're raking in clicks. Same thing happened for Pokemon Go, where youtubers produced infinite content based on bs theories/speculation/'rumors' on when Gen 2/legendaries are coming.

brinstar

I don't get the Kanto obsession either, but I will say that seeing how Kanto has been done on GB, GBC, GBA and DS, if they did put it in US/UM it would at least keep it up as some weird tradition. Also would ease up on people requesting it every game for a few years lol

GoldStarz

I don't get the Kanto obsession either, but I will say that seeing how Kanto has been done on GB, GBC, GBA and DS, if they did put it in US/UM it would at least keep it up as some weird tradition. Also would ease up on people requesting it every game for a few years lol

I feel like if anything, that would just feed it. You know the saying "you give 'em an inch, they'll take a mile"

Mr-Joker

Banned
Why is there such a hard on with having the Kanto region as a secondary region for every new Pokémon game?

Because of nostalgia and because they take every single Kanto reference as a sign as "Oh my god we're going to Kanto in Ultra Sun and Moon, don't forget to mash that like and share button, comment below and subscribe to watch more of my click bait video."

When in fact it's pretty clear that the Kanto reference were small and in the game as a way to celebrate the series 20th anniversary, but nope logical thinking beyond the merit of Pokétubers.

Kanto's story is done and there is nothing more to add that gen 1 and gen 2 plus their remake didn't add.

Rutger

Banned

Returning to Kanto without the superior Johto region would be pretty dull anyways.

As someone who's favorite Pokemon games are still Gen 2 and its remakes, I do get the want for a second region. Returning to Kanto in Gen 2 is pretty great because it's a large postgame area to explore, and it's very non-linear experience compared to the average Pokemon campaign. Breaking the standard 8 badges is also pretty nice, it's still my favorite approach to a post game used so far because it expands on the exploring aspect of the series rather than just some gimmicky battles in the Battle Frontier that I don't find fun.

But yeah, I'd prefer if the series focused on one region per game and give us larger postgame areas, and I'd rather callbacks be kept to bonus fights with characters from other games. It may be my favorite postgame, but I don't think its the best way it could be done.

brinstar

for what it's worth I do think a return to kanto or whatever would be handled in a cool way if they decided to do it, I just find the fanbase's obsession over repeating the old stuff over and over hard to relate to at times.

As someone who does want Kanto to be on every console in some variety to not break tradition, I was fine with Viridian Forest making it into X/Y and the GB games being on VC. I doubt that Kanto would be in USUM, that seems like a waste of time.

...however, due to relatively rushed dev times (~2 years instead of 3), I could see Gen 8 starting with a Kanto game on the Switch. Obviously wouldn't be a remake but a full upgrade of the region along with the accurate amount of time passing since the originals (20/23 years). Would essentially be a new region with some new Pokemon due to migration (despite the cries of those who only want the original 151), but would require less time to make the general region design work.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
As someone who does want Kanto to be on every console in some variety to not break tradition, I was fine with Viridian Forest making it into X/Y and the GB games being on VC. I doubt that Kanto would be in USUM, that seems like a waste of time.

...however, due to relatively rushed dev times (~2 years instead of 3), I could see Gen 8 starting with a Kanto game on the Switch. Obviously wouldn't be a remake but a full upgrade of the region along with the accurate amount of time passing since the originals (20/23 years). Would essentially be a new region with some new Pokemon due to migration (despite the cries of those who only want the original 151), but would require less time to make the general region design work.
it is not really a new gen, sounds more like a spinoff

New gen = new mons

MarkusRJR

I'm still shocked we have no information on USUM. I don't even know if it's a sequel (like B2W2) or an expanded version (like Emerald or Platinum), which is kind of insane.

About the Kanto obsession, it's obviously constantly brought up because of nostalgia. There's been tons of gen 1 nostalgia-bait in gen 6 and 7. Plus, it's probably one of the only games in which almost everyone remembers the gym leaders and town names (and their features). People have fond memories about the locations and characters.

No one I know who plays every Pokémon gen remembers the names to towns or their gym leaders post gen 2.

A Kanto sequel set ~20 years later in full 3D would be awesome.
That's kind of just GSC, but I'd definitely be down for a "Pokémon Red/Blue/Green: Version 2" ala B2W2. Not sure how interesting Kanto would be to play through nowadays, but seeing it with Switch's visuals would be interesting.

No one I know who plays every Pokémon gen remembers the names to towns or their gym leaders post gen 2.

Couldn't that just be "first game" syndrome?

Of course, I still remember the first gym leaders, but I'm already starting to forget some of the towns, because they were honestly pretty unremarkable even back in the days.

I don't even remember most of the Gold and Silver towns and gym leaders now and I loved those games.

WPS

I think that's partly because the colour theme names are really easy to remember, while these days they use more obscure words or fused words. I still remember most of the gym leader names.

The music has gotten a lot less memorable. Not worse, just less catchy, while I can still remember basically every theme from gen 1 and 2.

I'd be up for a Kanto return, but only if they completely redesign the region. I don't want to see a trace of the old grid, and towns need to be given more identity. Even in HGSS, which did an excellent job of revitalising Johto, Kanto felt kinda bland.

Mr-Joker

Banned
So was playing Pokémon Diamond and I took on Fantina last night...maths is hard. >_<;

Also I had forgotten how sloooooooow Surf was in Diamond and Pearl, I mean I can deal with the battle being slow but surfing really tests my patient. Luckily Sinnoh is mostly a mountainous region so surfing is rarely required and not across long distance.

A Kanto sequel set ~20 years later in full 3D would be awesome.

Awesome in what sense though? Nothing will have drastically changed and gen 2 pretty much acted as a sequel for Kanto when the player get the ability to travel there, though I just wish that it was a little more fleshed out.

brinstar

I'd be up for a Kanto return, but only if they completely redesign the region. I don't want to see a trace of the old grid, and towns need to be given more identity. Even in HGSS, which did an excellent job of revitalising Johto, Kanto felt kinda bland.

Yeah, it'd have to be reimagined into a Sun/Moon-like architecture with towns that look more like people actually live there. I'd be down for that.

Still, the idea of battling through hordes of the same ol' first 150 Pokemon already makes me yawn lol

Mr-Joker

Banned
Still, the idea of battling through hordes of the same ol' first 150 Pokemon already makes me yawn lol

That reminds me, I was watching a let's play of someone playing the Kanto remake and I knew that it was bad on the front that it prevented any non gen 1 Pokémon including any evolution that the gen 1 Pokémon got in gen 2, but gen 1 goes much further in trying to be same as the original, it was also sparse with held item since they didn't exist in gen 1 and want to use Pokéball that existed after gen 1...fat chance of that you will have to wait till post game because we gonna make this remake be 1:1 as the original but with a fancy engine.

Now I see why people generally agree on why the Johto remake is better because not only does it similar to the original game but it doesn't block off the newer Pokémon, evolution and items and isn't afraid add new stuff into the game whereas the Kanto remake kept them locked till post game.

Boss Doggie

Now I see why people generally agree on why the Johto remake is better because not only does it similar to the original game but it doesn't block off the newer Pokémon, evolution and items and isn't afraid add new stuff into the game whereas the Kanto remake kept them locked till post game.

Yeah, as much as I rile on it for not really doing much on the chance on improving Gen 2, at least it kept any improvements the gen had and altered the dex so that it could accommodate the changes.

I think that's partly because the colour theme names are really easy to remember, while these days they use more obscure words or fused words. I still remember most of the gym leader names.

The music has gotten a lot less memorable. Not worse, just less catchy, while I can still remember basically every theme from gen 1 and 2.

Ironically outside of trainer battle, I never had any of the kanto music stuck in my head.

So I've been looking over the base stats of the Alolan forms and new Alola Pokémon released this gen and man my opinion is that it is bad stat wise.

This does not include Legendaries or Ultra Beasts because as a self imposed rule I don't use them in battles so I don't care much about them.

The reason I was looking over the base stats of the "new" Pokémon is because I wanted to try my hand at breeding myself a shiny version of one I can put on a competitive team. After looking at the base stats of the "new" Pokémon all I could ask myself is "What was Game Freak thinking?" This is not balance. This is not slowing down the meta. This is just them making the "new" Pokémon useless in competitive battles against the older Pokémon. Every "new" Pokémon feels half done at the worst case and almost there as the best case scenario. For example

Lycanroc Midday form: I'm guessing this Pokémon was supposed to be one of this gens glass cannons but it fails. It's not as fast as previous glass cannons and doesn't hit no where near as hard enough to justify putting it on the team compare to a Weavile.

Lycanroc Midnight form: this version as advertised is supposed to take a hit and use counter. Yeah... No! Base 75 Defense and Special Defense does not make this thing tanking with its type. I put Midnight over Midday because of the slight increase of bulk but it's speed makes it useless!

Talking about speed

Decidueye
Vikavolt
Both Lycanroc forms
A couple more that I can't remember off the top of my head.

They never had a shot. Some Pokémon needs to be fast to make it on the competitive scene. The Pokédex said they move lightning fast! Looks at base speed, yeah I could outrun these things even with my messed up back.

The same can be said about the attack and special attack or other Alolan forms and new gen Pokémon.

Speaking of Alolan forms. They should be more than just a color swap and type change. Their base stats should be changed to match their new forms. I was surprised to see that Alolan Muk has the same exact stats that Muk has. I'm not saying increase the base total just rearrange them for better or worst to reflect the physical change the Alolan forms went threw. I don't know if it's the same for all Alolan forms I just find disappointing that they didn't put the extra thought on it.

I don't feel this way about all the new Pokémon.

If they made Toxapex base stats any stronger it'll be OP for what it is. Alolan Ninetales is ok but it's Special Attack is alittle too low considering how frail it is.

I tried saying this at the beginning of the gen only to be shut down by some of you guys! Lol... even using some of these new Pokémon in game only they still feel weak.

This is just my opinion!

I hope GameFreak puts more thought into future Regional forms then just a color swap and type change.

Note: Alolan Muk is my favorite regional form and I'm breeding one for a competitive team. I'm not criticizing for the sake of doing it.

Vikavolt - Stings like a runaway train moves like a snail!

Hydrus

So whats been up with the anime? I'm gonna assume it isn't very good. Nobody seems to talk about it and it seems like its moving at snail pace. Such a shame after XY.

Tomita

Anyone doing the Global Mission in Sun/Moon? The theme is winning the lotto. Well, I may not win the top prize, but I enter two lotteries (one in the first city, one in the Festival Plaza) and win something every day, yet when I look at my Global Mission record I'm at 0. Do I have to win the top lottery prize (Master Ball lol) to earn anything in the Global Mission?? That seems ridiculous. (Though I guess that's why we only needed to get 6,000 entries...)

^^^^ Didn't the animators want to shift Sun and Moon anime to draw in some of the Youkai Watch anime success when it began?

I feel that approach was kind of lame considering how unique and original Pokémon is. We all have our wishes and ideas on what the anime should be like.

Busaiku

I've been liking it a lot, but I usually don't watch it weekly.
I wait through several episodes then marathon it.

The switch to Disney XD and their subsequent scheduling stupidity probably turned some people off.

GoldStarz

So whats been up with the anime? I'm gonna assume it isn't very good. Nobody seems to talk about it and it seems like its moving at snail pace. Such a shame after XY.

Is Ash even on a journey with battles and stuff or is it just slice of life comedy? His team seems so boring this time around

It's a complicated situation honestly. Please keep in mind I've only seen like half of the episodes that have been released at this time (although I have been reading summaries). The biggest flaw of the anime is that it has a HUUUUUUUUUGE pacing problem and I mean, like, astoundingly bad. The was they've been handling stuff like the trials more 'plot' heavy episodes is that they pile them all together one after another. Then you have giant stretched that are nothing but filler. The filler eps are actually pretty good because the show's new style allows for a lot of exaggerated expression which help liven the cast (who are also pretty well-characterized), but because there's such a huge mass of them in a row and because the kids are pretty static compared to previous entries (the vast majority of episode take place in Hau'oli City) it feels like they're not really getting anywhere.To give a really bad recent example of this, the past three episodes that aired in Japan were essentially the Water, Fire, and Grass trials and Ash is going to be battling Olivia the next episode.

There's also the fact that there's honestly not much going on plot-wise. Normally the earlier parts of the anime is pretty much focused exclusively on the character's goal which is fine and it helps characterize them but I don't really feel that any of the characters except for Ash and Lillie really have goals. Ash wants to do the trials and face all the Kahunas, but the rules have basically been changed so that Ash only actually has to do one of the trials and it seems like that's how it's going to play out since Lana did the Water Trial (there also aren't Trial Captains anymore since I didn't mention that) and Kiawe did the Fire trial before the series started (the fire trial stand-in episode was him catching A!Marowak), which I feel diminishes the investment since Ash isn't really overcoming all the challenges a player would to reach his goal. Lillie's goal is a lot more simpler, she wants to recover from a traumatic childhood incident (which probably will factor in the main plot down the road) that left her mentally unable to touch Pokemon with freaking out. The problem here is that unlike past goal, she can do this at any place and anytime so she doesn't actually need to move around or overcome any physically measurable challenge like previous characters would with a contest or gym.

In all honesty, I do feel that PokeAni probably would've been better off with a straight up adaptation since it does feel like whenever they try to do their own original story with a game that already has a story in place it just doesn't compare favorably (which is weird because you'd think it would be easier to make a story for an anime that can play loose and fast with its rules versus a game which has to adhere to the RPG elements in place).

Good words.

Thanks for this summary. I've been picking and choosing episodes to watch on Disney XD and it's not getting me or my kids invested like past seasons did.

The Pokémon series games and anime has something no other anime has... Pokémon battles.

The Black and White series has its downs but one thing my kids and myself loved were the filler tournaments. The Pokémon battles. I get that the series is about the adventure and all but it doesn't always appeal the way it's attended to. I hoped XY and Sun/Moon would continue the filler tournaments or just more battles taking place but nope! I'm not asking for Ash to change or for Pikachu to evolve or some other unreasonable thing. I just wish the anime had more battles in them be it filler or canon.

Edit: Midnight Lycanroc is really growing on me. At first I hated the design because it felt alittle too over design. Like Game Freak was trying too hard. Now I'm looking at it and it's base stats and it's one tutor type move away from becoming a really good competitive Pokémon. All it needs is Dragon Dance. If Midday gets its own priority rock type move for no good reason Midnight should get Dragon Dance for no good reason and blow it out of the water.

ash_ag

A Figma and an ARTFX-J figure for the female player character of SM were announced and promotional material confirms that her Japanese name is Mizuki. Presumably that means her English name is Selene, while the male player character's name is Elio (Y&#333; in Japanese).

Those took a while. Now the characters who still don't have confirmed official names are Silver, Kris and Leaf.

Anustart

Anyone have one of them magic dittos for breeding?

Also looking for tips for a solid team for a first time battler. Something easy to breed/make that can handle a lot, but obviously not the best.

Boss Doggie

A Figma and an ARTFX-J figure for the female player character of SM were announced and promotional material confirms that her Japanese name is Mizuki. Presumably that means her English name is Selene, while the male player character's name is Elio (Y&#333; in Japanese).

Those took a while. Now the characters who still don't have confirmed official names are Silver, Kris and Leaf.

Kris might as well not exist. And has Leaf been acknowledged at all?

ash_ag

Kris might as well not exist. And has Leaf been acknowledged at all?
I know what you mean, but the same thing applies for basically all player characters that weren't Ash's companions. At least it did before Generations. TPC only started using the protagonists in merchandise in Gen 5.

For the record, and I'm sure you realize this, Kris appears throughout the anime. In fact, her last appearance is in the DP series only some 80 episodes before Lyra is introduced. Problem is that the anime's naming of Gen 2 characters is a bit inconsistent to say the least, so "Marina" can't be applied next to "Hibiki". I almost wonder if "Hibiki" itself would be used if the character appeared in merchandise. We may actually learn soon enough, given the GS VC release, a Gold/Ethan figure sounds plausible.

By the way, Leaf actually appeared in a badge set a few months ago, but she isn't named.

I'm seeing on /vp/ that the Alola trainer names are now confirmed to be Selene and Elio, citing Japanes tweets about the new figures. But I speak no Japanese so I can't actually confirm or connect the same dots as them.

True to tradition, most people in the thread are posting heinous memes and foul comments instead of explaining the actual subject.

I always play canon names, so I'm glad this officially comes out so I have a name to distinguish my Moon and Ultra Moon profiles. I've been using "Moon" as the trainer name because, based on the best evidence we had, that's what they were going with. While Selene is a little too close to Serena for my tastes, it's better than Moon.

ash_ag

Those names, Y&#333; / Elio and Mizuki / Selene, were used in footage during the promotional period. People assumed they wouldn't be the canonical names because promotional names are typically non-default names, so Sun and Moon were used in lack of something more official. But now the new figures confirm that the promotional footage names weren't just random ones.

Those names, Y&#333; / Elio and Mizuki / Selene, were used in footage during the promotional period. People assumed they wouldn't be the canonical names because promotional names are typically non-default names, so Sun and Moon were used in lack of something more official. But now the new figures confirm that the promotional footage names weren't just random ones.

I remember those names. And I remember people saying not to assume they were canon names because both Black & White and X & Y used names in their trailers that weren't the canon names. I specifically remember Xavier and Yvette from XY and thinking it would be wise to stick with Sun and Moon because Sun was used in the demo and that felt like the closest official information we were going to get.

I'm glad I have a "confirmed canon" name to use in USM.

Boogiepop

So, is there a solid line of Pokemon figures out there to pick away at ones that I'd like to have? Have most of the current Nendoroids (missing the Red and Green set, as I was hoping those would hit the US Pokemon store eventually like the past ones, but... nope.) Don't need anything that fancy inherently, but I'd love to at least pick up some little figures or something of some of my favorites. Like, just want some confirmation that there's something decent out there that's not like, super cheap and crappy or anything.

Also, hope the lack of info on US/UM doesn't mean my assumption of at least hitting a ORAS level of new designs is off (be it more Alolan forms, or "hey, here's some new Megas, since a little time has passed and we can use that as a marketing push again!", or even a mix.) Would be kind of disappointing to return to previous standards of such things just getting the legendary forms and maybe one or two other forms, and it DOES feel kind of weird for them to have not thrown us a bone of a reveal or two at this point...

Edit: Checking Amazon immediately gave me this.
So that's a great example of the sort of thing I'm not really looking for...

Menitta

Just that's there's another hat Pikachu in the games that isn't in regular S/M. Signs seem to be pointing to a reveal (or multiple reveals) this upcoming month.

Ah ok. Thank you very much. I really hope I can be sold on this version. Previous 3rd versions/sequels have been really good so I'm hopeful, but I was really sour on SM.

brinstar

I'm not holding my breath for more Alolan forms, I think it'll be the Necrozma stuff and the UBs and that'll be it. Would love to be wrong though!

I saw some YT vids about people making their own evil teams and shit. I want to make one, but I honestly forget how the evil teams are like in the games. In Sun and Moon do they still predominately use rodents and poison types?

Top Bottom