• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Surge |OT| Live Die Repeat

pa22word

Yep, how this game isnt a hit here ln gaf with all the souls fans, ita a mystery for me, im sure anyone who plays it will like it, the combat system is so good.
The souls fan base is filled with some toxic ass shitstains. More than most fanbases. The marketing leads people towards that and attracts some really self superior SOBs. Souls is one of those games that I love to play but mostly avoid conversation on them because the community is so fucking bad.

h0tp0ck3t

I did that, but couldn't figured where to go from there. Am I supposed to separate the smelters and fight them?

They are optional fights. If I remember right when you come off that elevator and go to the right(?) there should be a path near one of the maintenance robots. I'll have to run through that area again to get a better idea sorry

deoee

The only thing I really couldn't get around was that there's no attack cancelling.

You have to commit to your swings and know your combos.

DemWalls

I haven't had much time to put into the game but I'm a bit baffled by those putting down the level design and mind you I'm not talking about the art design of the levels but the actual level lay outs, the really clever and varied shortcuts back to a central area and the maze like set up. I love games where I can get lost in the levels and have to figure them out so that plays a part but I'd be willing to make the bold point that I think its more well done than some of the Souls games, 2 and 3 especially.

Indeed. It reminds me of Demon's Souls', which is constantly praised. But, this game is made by someone other than From, Deck13 specifically? Good level design magically becomes terrible.

Indeed. It reminds me of Demon's Souls', which is constantly praised. But, this game is made by someone other than From, Deck13 specifically? Good level design magically becomes terrible.
So true.

Something else I like that they did with the levels, is the use of the maps placed around the stages showing you where you are currently, as well as the signs all over the walls that direct you towards different things such as the OPS or a Boss. Great ways to give us some direction without using a mini-map or world map.

*Splinter

Essentially every enemy in Central Production (where you are now) drops mk2 components. The security guys even drop mk3 for you!
Nah most of your first trip through Central is still rhino/lynx enemies. Eventually you will start finding scarab and those hazard suit looking guys that drop mark 2.

JakeD

Huh I could have sworn Rhino drops were mk2! Shows me what I know lol >.<

first couple trips out and they either weren't dropping anything or dropping mk1 stuff. but after a while i did start getting the mk2. im never sure who drops what, something about the UI makes it tough for me to see, so i usually just wait til i get back to the bonfire and check it out after.

thanks

*Splinter

The Nucleus is the best area of the game, I love it. Got completely lost for a while after floor 2. It gets increasingly tense as your scrap count rises and health supplies fall, running past enemies you have NO idea how to deal with (and now isn't the time to find out!)

Finally found a way back to ops, arrived with ~200k scrap.

Now to go through it all again and figure out everything I need to/can do to actually progress :D

*Splinter

Aaaand it's done.

Great game. The middle section dragged a bit, and there were some incredibly frustrating parts, but the last area made up for any complaints I had before then.

Best bit: the labyrinthine level design, especially the last area.

Worst bit: enemy variety. Most of the humanoid enemies are too similar and most other enemies are more irritating than challenging.

Overall: 9/10

I'll take a look at the trophy guides to see what I missed and *probably* go for NG+.

Strangely the only other "Souls" game I finished on NG+(++) was Lords of the Fallen.

pa22word

Aaaand it's done.

Great game. The middle section dragged a bit, and there were some incredibly frustrating parts, but the last area made up for any complaints I had before then.

Best bit: the labyrinthine level design, especially the last area.

Worst bit: enemy variety. Most of the humanoid enemies are too similar and most other enemies are more irritating than challenging.

Overall: 9/10

I'll take a look at the trophy guides to see what I missed and *probably* go for NG+.

Strangely the only other "Souls" game I finished on NG+(++) was Lords of the Fallen.

The cheevos are very tame. There's only one that you have to go out of your way to get for no other reason than cheevo hunting. I got every single cheevo on through NG++ other than the collectable one just by playing.

Also, I dunno how you personally feel about the game but Souls 2 is still the God Emperor of NG+ in these games. Endless replay value there. It's not even really NG+ as much as FS turned it into a game mechanic built around gaming the drop system and a sort of difficulty setting for those inclined. Souls 3 not bothering to give a fuck with its NG+ system is probably my single biggest disappointment for that game.

*Splinter

Also, I dunno how you personally feel about the game but Souls 2 is still the God Emperor of NG+ in these games. Endless replay value there. It's not even really NG+ as much as FS turned it into a game mechanic built around gaming the drop system and a sort of difficulty setting for those inclined. Souls 3 not bothering to give a fuck with its NG+ system is probably my single biggest disappointment for that game.
I haven't played DS2 yet. It's on the list but Nioh will be the next Souls-like I play (probably after a break, Let It Die and The Surge is already 2 in a row for me).

I hadn't heard that about DS2 before though. Interesting. I remember being disappointed as soon as I tried NG+ on Bloodborne (and again with DS3).

pa22word

Yay, NG++ Down and:

TLRUWnR.png

Would buy DLC in a heartbeat.

I haven't played DS2 yet. It's on the list but Nioh will be the next Souls-like I play (probably after a break, Let It Die and The Surge is already 2 in a row for me).

I hadn't heard that about DS2 before though. Interesting. I remember being disappointed as soon as I tried NG+ on Bloodborne (and again with DS3).

Souls 2 changes up enemy and item placement up through NG+...9? and goes on up to NG+99 with scaling. You can flip between NG+s at will at any time (one of the starting gifts is said item to bump to the next NG+ per bonfire) by using an item per bonfire. Personally I think the Real Dark Souls 2 starts at NG+. Scholar of the First Sin NG is a lot like DS2 @ NG+, for instance.

It's one of the reasons why I've put more time into DS2 than any other souls game. Add in the fact that the game is super generous with rerolling items the game just never ends, lol

Theorry

Finished it. Took me 28 hours overall. Enjoyed it. A big step up from Lords of Fallen (in everything really from gameplay to performance) and great to play this kind of game in a different setting and Deck 13 brings some good things to the genre also. Wich is great. Hopefully it does oke. So we get a sequel. As The Surge is way more intresting then Lords of the Fallen as a franchise.

Will start NG+ probably when i have time also.

horkrux

Yep, how this game isnt a hit here ln gaf with all the souls fans, ita a mystery for me, im sure anyone who plays it will like it, the combat system is so good.

I love the Souls games, but I have absolutely no interest in all of these soulslikes. I didn't sign up to play these games for only one aspect, but for the whole package which The Surge f.e. can't provide. The good combat system doesn't save it for me, when the environments look uninspired and samey, there is no interesting lore/story and you have to engage in drawn-out fights with the same enemy types over and over again with only a handful of bosses to break up the monotony.

personally, i'd be much more interested in the game if it had something similar to the souls online component. knowing that, if i'm stuck on a boss, it's either 'git gud!' or 'git gud!!!' kinda kills my interest somewhat (playing nioh right now, & enjoying it immensely, btw :) )...

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I love the Souls games, but I have absolutely no interest in all of these soulslikes. I didn't sign up to play these games for only one aspect, but for the whole package which The Surge f.e. can't provide. The good combat system doesn't save it for me, when the environments look uninspired and samey, there is no interesting lore/story and you have to engage in drawn-out fights with the same enemy types over and over again with only a handful of bosses to break up the monotony.

Unless the game drops off a cliff I can easily say the level design out does the last couple Souls games except perhaps BB and the new game plus sounds far more interesting than said Souls games except DS2. So yeah lore and such the game is no match but it goes toe to toe and beyond in other areas.

I thought lore was interesting, I actually liked collecting the audio logs in The Surge.

Yep. It doesn't always need to be some mysterious fantasy lore.
I like the more grounded lore and setting in The Surge.
I also don't really think the environments are uninspired or samey.
Sure, it's all industrial like, but every area has enough recognizable stuff in it.

Edit: I even think the standard enemies are more fun to fight than souls standard enemies.

Megasoum

Banned
How do you get to use more than one injectable at the same time?

Like right now I have two that I can swap with the right d-pad but I remember seeing videos where you could use both B and Y to use different implants

Snagret

I'm up to the second boss, and I absolutely love the game so far. The level design is elegant, the atmosphere is really creepy, and I love how aggressive the enemies are.

I have a question, I keep seeing overcharge stations that require a lot more core power than I reasonably have. Am I supposed to revist these areas later or is this something I'll do in NG+?

Also, specific quest spoilers:
I haven't found the medicine for the guy that asked me to yet, but I feel like I've explored as much as I can. If I beat the boss and move on to the next area will I fail the quest? Should I go back through the area and try and find it first?

I was having a little bit of trouble with the combat till I managed to take down one of the security gaurds and upgrade his staff. Up till then I was mostly using really heavy weapons for the stagger, but I was having trouble getting caught in really long animations that would drain my last bit of stamina leaving me unable to escape a counterattack (my leading cause of death next to those fast attack fuckers who seem to just be doing damage constantly). It feels really nice to have a quick weapon that also staggers and can dish out decent damage.

pa22word

I didn't know this game exists until today. Played the first couple of hours...yo...this is already better than Dark Souls 3, lol.

I love it so far.

I certainly liked it more than DS3 as well. It's certainly not as produced nor as polished as well as DS3, but DS3 felt like the gaming equivalent of a shrug. "Oh well it's been a few years since the last dark souls I guess it's time to put another one out". It feels very Mega Man 5ey in that it doesn't really say anything interesting mechanically nor thematically for itself other than tying itself to being more Dark Souls as its sole reason for existing. It even bogs its narrative down in metanarrative garbage so thick it's an exhausting game to play for all the wrong reasons. Environmentally it's easily the most boring souls game as well, and for all the complaints this game gets for that Souls 3 is easily the more derivative game. Oh hey you guys like castles? We've done 4 of them before in every other game like this we've done, would you like another serving? No? Well, how about getting two servings of it spaced out across the game, would that be better? *gags*

Another swamp. Another catacombs. Another dungeon. etc etc

If anything, I give this game props for reminding me that these games still have something to offer, because after Souls 3--which despite my rant above I do think is a really good game--I really thought that I was just done with these games. It's really great to see that I'm not tired of Souls, I'm specifically tired of Dark Souls.

I'm up to the second boss, and I absolutely love the game so far. The level design is elegant, the atmosphere is really creepy, and I love how aggressive the enemies are.

I have a question, I keep seeing overcharge stations that require a lot more core power than I reasonably have. Am I supposed to revist these areas later or is this something I'll do in NG+?

Also, specific quest spoilers:
I haven't found the medicine for the guy that asked me to yet, but I feel like I've explored as much as I can. If I beat the boss and move on to the next area will I fail the quest? Should I go back through the area and try and find it first?

I was having a little bit of trouble with the combat till I managed to take down one of the security gaurds and upgrade his staff. Up till then I was mostly using really heavy weapons for the stagger, but I was having trouble getting caught in really long animations that would drain my last bit of stamina leaving me unable to escape a counterattack (my leading cause of death next to those fast attack fuckers who seem to just be doing damage constantly). It feels really nice to have a quick weapon that also staggers and can dish out decent damage.

1. No to NG+: most of them uplevel to higher sets based on NG+. They have upgrade materials for max level armor/weapons, and yeah go back and get them late game.

2. Don't worry about it for a while, I think. You can get the item for that quest in area 3.

Snagret

I certainly liked it more than DS3 as well. It's certainly not as produced nor as polished as well as DS3, but DS3 felt like the gaming equivalent of a shrug. "Oh well it's been a few years since the last dark souls I guess it's time to put another one out". It feels very Mega Man 5ey in that it doesn't really say anything interesting mechanically nor thematically for itself other than tying itself to being more Dark Souls as its sole reason for existing. It even bogs its narrative down in metanarrative garbage so thick it's an exhausting game to play for all the wrong reasons. Environmentally it's easily the most boring souls game as well, and for all the complaints this game gets for that Souls 3 is easily the more derivative game. Oh hey you guys like castles? We've done 4 of them before in every other game like this we've done, would you like another serving? No? Well, how about getting two servings of it spaced out across the game, would that be better? *gags*

Another swamp. Another catacombs. Another dungeon. etc etc

If anything, I give this game props for reminding me that these games still have something to offer, because after Souls 3--which despite my rant above I do think is a really good game--I really thought that I was just done with these games. It's really great to see that I'm not tired of Souls, I'm specifically tired of Dark Souls.
Not to get too soulsy in here, but one of the most disappointing aspects of Souls 3 for me was that I thought those areas were all the best the series had ever done (in terms of visual design), but they were so derivative that it made it fall flat for me. Like you said, polished as hell but missing that "weird horror fantasy" flavor from Demon's and Dark 1.

And I totally agree on your last point. The Surge is reminding me that I still love the formula, and a simple twist on the setting makes a huge difference. The thing I like about the environments in Surge is that they feel dangerous and oppressive, which is a core tenant across the Souls series and part of why Lords of the Fallen was so, so bland.

1. No to NG+: most of them uplevel to higher sets based on NG+. They have upgrade materials for max level armor/weapons, and yeah go back and get them late game.

2. Don't worry about it for a while, I think. You can get the item for that quest in area 3.
Awesome, thanks! I'm gonna go tackle the boss then.

Megasoum

Banned
Ah shit... so if I die on a boss fight my scraps stay behind the "fog wall"?

So I can't get it back unless I want to fight the boss again?

pa22word

Ah shit... so if I die on a boss fight my scraps stay behind the "fog wall"?

So I can't get it back unless I want to fight the boss again?

Nope, gotta run the boss.

Loosing scrap in this game isn't that big of a deal because leveling only really effects core power, so don't really worry about it if you have to dump some scrap due to the boss.

So huh...yeah I pretty much get one shotted by the first boss...

Just how much are you actually supposed to upgrade your gear?

Most bosses will kill you with 1 or 2 hits :)
Mostly 2 hits for me.
It's all about surviving a hit and injecting health instantly, lol.

Edit: Or just not getting hit at all!

h0tp0ck3t

Like right now I have two that I can swap with the right d-pad but I remember seeing videos where you could use both B and Y to use different implants

Y is the drone not an injectable . You get him at the start of area 2

Resonance

These impressions are promising! I'm gonna give this game a shot when I have the chance.

How's the soundtrack btw? Is it comparable to BB/souls?

These impressions are promising! I'm gonna give this game a shot when I have the chance.

How's the soundtrack btw? Is it comparable to BB/souls?

The soundtrack is not one of the stronger points of the game.
Nothing bad or annoying. But nothing special or rememberable either.

You probably figured this out already but you can stack the health injectables by just putting another one in an implant slot. They will stack if they are of the same grade and will be separate if they are not.

Just FYI: if they are injectables with an energy cost and do not have a quantity (such as the Medivolt energy to health one) having more than one implan slot equipped with them does not cause a stack effect.

Top Bottom