• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens on Wii U 'one of the best looking versions', "More RAM/really great processor"

AGITΩ

Huh, why should you be worried. If you like the Wii U, the other consoles won't hurt your fun (unless your fun is related to console wars). And from a business point of view, the Wii U is going to launch this year, while the other two are far away. No matter how strong or weak the PS480 are, Wii U is going to have the spotlight for several months.

The issue with it, I feel is that big name Multiplatform titles will continue to go Sony and Microsofts systems. Which would still end up doing some slight damage. Being portrayed as underpowered again might lead to more half-assed efforts. Like EA continuing to us Cartoony Style players in Madden, or just developers trying to make a quick buck if the Wii U does sell at a good rate come holidays. So it matters not how much Nintendo tries to rekindle its ties with 3rd Parties, if the Wii U would only continue getting halfless efforts.

Battlefield 3 in 60fps?

Graphics aside, I think that alone is a big difference compared to the other current-gen consoles.

As for Aliens, if the game is a dream game for fans and an amazing shooter (crossing my fingers it is), I'll get a Wii U. The good thing with the Wii U is that I'm not really buying it for Aliens, obviously since it's the Nintendo games, but an amazing Aliens game, one that deals solely with space marines and none of that campaign where you play as aliens is nice to have.

+Aliken+

You know, I didn't say that I took this stance, but now that I think about it, if a person is racist they would probably be more truthful about their feelings without their real name attached to it, or a witness talking about a crime that just occurred.

Yeah and that is a good comparison...

I am of the opinion that people should only be listened if they put their names and faces next to their words. Otherwise they don't deserve notice.

You know, I didn't say that I took this stance, but now that I think about it, if a person is racist they would probably be more truthful about their feelings without their real name attached to it, or a witness talking about a crime that just occurred.

Being truthful about how you feel is different to being truthful about what is true. hence racism and such.

Thats true(irrelevant, but true), & I'm sure people are more likely to lie when using their real name( it's not even the lack of name, no job roles are mentioned).

Yeah and that is a good comparison...

I am of the opinion that people should only be listened if they put their names and faces next to their words. Otherwise they don't deserve notice.

No consequences if your comments aren't positive if you're anonymous.

Medalion

Banned
I did what now? How could I do damage control when the topic is positive? You mean when I talked about another poster's information? That's damage control now?

How dare you try to shine light away from bad press about Nintendo, you must be a fanboy doing damage control, for shame!

/gaf

?oe?oe

Another reasonable, yet positive quote from a studio? Nah, I have to trust that one anonymous source, sorry guys.

Jonm1010

Banned
It's funny seeing people carve out positions and standing by them so stoutly when really, we have no fucking clue.......

.....goes to show what fanboyism or hate does to a gaffer.

I'm just a fan of good games and like my generational leaps to bring me something I can drool over, so I just hope they all deliver on that front.

troushers

These topics are very silly.

If you were to give 60 development studios 60 Wii U development kits, and then poll them all for such as vague thing as the "power" of the final console, you could plot out all the points and make an educated guess where about, on average the consensus "power" of the console would be. It would still be subjective, but you would have a decent idea.

But if you were to give out 60 kits, then 30 an updated version, then another 10 the 3rd generation kit and moreover, instead of asking the people directly working with the kits, you asked their co-workers in another department or the guy they sit next to at lunch, or the company PR rep with no background in development what THEY thought, you are very unlikely to get any sort of meaningful response.

I'm old enough to remember the launch games of the 360, which in a lot of cases looked like a huge pile of ass. Hell, you can go back and listen to Garnet Lee et al. on 1up podcasts at the time discussing how awful some stuff looked before launch. If the Wii U can now run unoptimised 360/PS3 games on par, then that tells you pretty much all you need to know. All in my opinion of course.

I find it pointless to bicker about this because at some point specs are going to be revealed and that will silence the chatterboxes. What I find so funny is that we get cryptic descriptions about power that doesn't really contradict each other yet people are trying to draw definitive confirmations from all this.

Vigil Art Director said:
I think that the Wii U is a pretty powerful machine, which obviously means more resources, and means you can do a lot more.

Aliens: Colonial Marines Director said:
“The machine itself will be one of the best looking versions of the game [sic]… because they’ve got more RAM than some of the other things [platforms]“, says Martel. “They’re late in the cycle so they’ve got this really great processor

Nameless dev said:
"Yeah, that's true. It doesn't produce graphics as well as the PS3 or the 360," said the source. "There aren't as many shaders, it's not as capable. Sure, some things are better, mostly as a result of it being a more modern design. But overall the Wii U just can't quite keep up."

So even the detractors that people are complaining about says some things are better.... could they be talking about....ram? It seems from whatever little cryptic information we have here is that the Wii U will have more ram but the unnamed source talks about shaders and the capability of the graphics which implies that they are talking about the GPU.

I think this is going to be interesting when the specs are revealed and all the comments might be construed as correct in their own ways. This is basically a question about the Wii U's GPU. It could be that somethings were designed with the tablet in mind in terms of output.

StevieP

Banned
So even the detractors that people are complaining about says some things are better.... could they be talking about....ram? It seems from whatever little cryptic information we have here is that the Wii U will have more ram but the unnamed source talks about shaders and the capability of the graphics which implies that they are talking about the GPU.

I think this is going to be interesting when the specs are revealed and all the comments might be construed as correct in their own ways. This is basically a question about the Wii U's GPU. It could be that somethings were designed with the tablet in mind in terms of output.

Or... the GPU has some fixed function pipeline in it (outside of/in addition to our current modern day DX10/11/OGL/Etc standards) that, frankly, no middleware has been optimized to take advantage of. Much like the Gamecube/Wii and the TEV, I mean.

This useless speculation is really just a waste of time guys...

I mean unless Nintendo releases specs we really won't know the capabilities of the machine.

StevieP

Banned
Gnnn... And now I'm ready for the next "lolz Wii U is a Wii + GC duc taped! Fucking company blablabla..."

I meant in addition to your standard modern GPU hardware, not in place of. lol
It is an extremely custom design and recent findings have suggested just as much.

kodt

Banned
So the Wii U is more powerful than 360/PS3 but it is also slightly less powerful than 360/PS3. It is like two 360's but also not quite as good. It has more RAM, but the GPU is no better, but the GPU is actually a little better. But it is pretty much the same as the Vita but it is also better than the Vita or maybe not quite as good.

Top Bottom