• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 Testfire Thread: This is a port...able game now

Skeletos311

I really wasn't too into the Wii U game, but I had a lot of fun playing this one. Pro controller support really helps.

I'm hoping they go the extra mile with the single player content with this one, since it's also a portable game. I'd like bots for custom offline matches. I remember I used to spend hours playing bots in Perfect Dark. I'm also hoping for a much better campaign. I know they said it was going to be bigger or something.

KtSlime

That was fun this weekend. Can't wait till it comes out in summer. I did a couple of quick tests playing tethered to my phone (SoftBank G4). Ran smooth, no perceivable lag. I averaged out the bandwidth usage. It seems to be just under 10mb per match for those interested.

deadfolk

I really wasn't too into the Wii U game, but I had a lot of fun playing this one. Pro controller support really helps.

I'm hoping they go the extra mile with the single player content with this one, since it's also a portable game. I'd like bots for custom offline matches. I remember I used to spend hours playing bots in Perfect Dark. I'm also hoping for a much better campaign. I know they said it was going to be bigger or something.

Bots would be amazing!

Mistle

Not trying to be a party pooper as I love Splatoon, but I didn't really like any of the new maps or specials.. It just felt a tad underwhelming, I was kind of wishing I was just playing the original. Hoping that the full game has memorable levels with defining layouts like the original, and specials that are fun to use.

No gamepad map is a big loss too, hoping they add a corner minimap or allow X to be hold not toggle.

Otherwise yeah it's Splatoon. The core gameplay is very fun.

For the new page:

So now that the Testfires ended, is the community still playing Splatoon 1? I own it and liked it but I never had time for it when it came out and I thought it wasn't a good idea to start into the community late. GAF told me otherwise and I should have listened but yeah Splatoon 2 made me want to delve into Splatoon for real now.

Zemm

Not trying to be a party pooper as I love Splatoon, but I didn't really like any of the new maps or specials.. It just felt a tad underwhelming, I was kind of wishing I was just playing the original. Hoping that the full game has memorable levels with defining layouts like the original, and specials that are fun to use.

No gamepad map is a big loss too, hoping they add a corner minimap or allow X to be hold not toggle.

I liked that the new specials weren't super powerful like they could be in the first game.

As for the maps, the basketball one was terrible and the one with the bridge was good. So ofcourse like 80% of my games were on the shit one. Just reminds me of the horrible map rotation thing they had going on in the first game, ugh. Pretty sure it'll be the same here too, double ugh :/

Zemm

For the new page:

So now that the Testfires ended, is the community still playing Splatoon 1? I own it and liked it but I never had time for it when it came out and I thought it wasn't a good idea to start into the community late. GAF told me otherwise and I should have listened but yeah Splatoon 2 made me want to delve into Splatoon for real now.

If you play ranked you'll be playing against people with similar skill levels so you should be fine. I can't remember if casual had skill matchmaking but I don't think so, so there's a chance you might get hammered in that mode sometimes.

Sendou

If you play ranked you'll be playing against people with similar skill levels so you should be fine. I can't remember if casual had skill matchmaking but I don't think so, so there's a chance you might get hammered in that mode sometimes.

Turf War does have some kind of ranking system. Like if you play Turf War as level 1 and get a lot of kills in one match you might play against lvl 50's next time.

Ottaro

I know this is a minor gripe, but Im hoping the menus are not indicative of the final product... it just seemed to have less character than the first game somehow.

AGoodODST

I misread the times and missed out on the whole damn thing. FUCK.

Have they announced another set of testfires or is this it?

They've not announced it but they ended up doing extra ones for the first game (this might have been after it came out though).

Is the bar in the ink gauge that shows when you can use your secondary new? I don't remember it from the original, it's pretty useful.

Sendou

Is the bar in the ink gauge that shows when you can use or secondary new? I don't remember it from the original, it's pretty useful.

It's new. In the original you only had an audio cue (and less visible visual one on your tank) when you had enough ink to use your sub.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I liked that the new specials weren't super powerful like they could be in the first game.

As for the maps, the basketball one was terrible and the one with the bridge was good. So ofcourse like 80% of my games were on the shit one. Just reminds me of the horrible map rotation thing they had going on in the first game, ugh. Pretty sure it'll be the same here too, double ugh :/

The one with the bridge was absolutely amazing. I had Halo 2 MP-levels of fun with that map..

random25

Let's remember that it's just the test fire. Stages will be tweaked and specials will be adjusted once the game releases. Also, regular updates are a thing for balancing in Splatoon.

I think having a visible map is not really that necessary. The first one has it on the game pad but you only look at it for specials like inkstrike and beacon as well as super jumps. It's not something you usually look at when the battle gets heated.

Peltz

Does anyone else think Splatoon is better with less weapons like this? I feel like the previous game suffered from having way too many options.

Like, fighting games feel more balanced with a smaller roster of characters. Having +50 characters in a game sort of dilutes it in my opinion.

But the same (again in my opinion) is true with Splatoon. Too many guns are in the first game and it sort of makes the experience a little less pure than when there's a small handful of choices.

That sounds good enough for me, thanks! :) I don't worry about getting hammered, that's how my friends taught me MOBA's when I first got into then :p

I only played for like 20 minutes and only used the roller, but i had fun so i'll probably check it out on launch. Unfortunately never got around to getting it on the U, but hey, what else is going to be out on the switch then?

Waji

Would be so awesome if the local multiplayer could be set like Smash Bros, with AI, different difficulties and so on.

You colored 1102 pts. You get a 1000 bonus after winning. Compared to your peers you seemed to focus more on actually painting territory than confronting the enemy team.

It just means you're getting good.
I see. Thanks, that's pretty useful so it means getting 800+ pts is actually good since it's exactly a 1000 difference.
Didn't know that.

And from what I remember of this game I think I was indeed most of the time in areas without paint fro my own color.
And for some reason I did a good job protecting myself while painting, that's probably why.

Whether when you lose or win, each game feels very rewarding, maybe even more when you lose (of feel like you did).

Is the bar in the ink gauge that shows when you can use your secondary new? I don't remember it from the original, it's pretty useful.
From what I heard it is indeed new.

B00TE

I am beyond happy to see Octobrush already.

Bring this game ON already.

So much this. Loved the octobrush. Need the full game yesterday.

Hopefully more testfires before the game launches. I need MORE. Until then, back to splatoon 1 I go lol.

blamite

Does anyone else think Splatoon is better with less weapons like this? I feel like the previous game suffered from having way too many options.

Like, fighting games feel more balanced with a smaller roster of characters. Having +50 characters in a game sort of dilutes it in my opinion.

But the same (again in my opinion) is true with Splatoon. Too many guns are in the first game and it sort of makes the experience a little less pure than when there's a small handful of choices.
I devilishly feel like weapon selection could get a little overwhelming in the first game since there were just so many combinations to think about. That probably bothered me more in the personal level of deciding what to user thank in an overall balance level done once I was in a game I didn't really think about it very much.

I definitely like not having to think about figuring out 3 gear slots and 12 perks to use though. I get that it's important to give the game that extra depth but I'd like to be able to pick clothes just based on style and not feel like I'm at a disadvantage for not min-maxing my stats.

I devilishly feel like weapon selection could get a little overwhelming in the first game since there were just so many combinations to think about. That probably bothered me more in the personal level of deciding what to user thank in an overall balance level done once I was in a game I didn't really think about it very much.

I definitely like not having to think about figuring out 3 gear slots and 12 perks to use though. I get that it's important to give the game that extra depth but I'd like to be able to pick clothes just based on style and not feel like I'm at a disadvantage for not min-maxing my stats.

I think the game allows you to wear clothes over the ones that give you stats akin to Xenoblade X, so you could wear whatever you'd like.

So is it confirmed if we're only getting 4 Specials?

We've actually seen two other specials in the reveal trailer. A special I've seen someone refer to as the 'Inkstorm', where an ink cloud is summoned and slowly moves about the stage, spreading ink, and then a stationary version of the Bomb Rush from Splatoon 1, where the player uses a bomb launcher instead of being able to freely move around, tossing 'em.

J@hranimo

Banned
The Splatoon Twitter posted this.

Very nice to see these weapons returning. What's interesting to me is how they showed the Octobrush first instead of the Inkbrush, unlike the first game where it was the other way around. I'm hoping the Inkbrush has some reworks because that weapon can be the struggle and the Octobrush is better than it in every way.

Now confirm the Rapid blaster Nogami!

atr0cious

Very nice to see these weapons returning. What's interesting to me is how they showed the Octobrush first instead of the Inkbrush, unlike the first game where it was the other way around. I'm hoping the Inkbrush has some reworks because that weapon can be the struggle and the Octobrush is better than it in every way.
I want mgr style fight system lol. Split joycons are going to be disgusting with the brushes.
Don't listen to this man.

Azure J

I'm hearing from my brother that split joycons are like Sin & Punishment: Squid Successor mode.

I'm now extremely angry at myself for never trying this with a high enough sensitivity.

Have had real difficulty with the controls; motion controls feel weird, and non-motion controls feel weird too. Somehow others can just snap onto targets though. Jealous. It kinda destroys the game for me.

phanphare

Banned

yes!

I'm hearing from my brother that split joycons are like Sin & Punishment: Squid Successor mode.

I'm now extremely angry at myself for never trying this with a high enough sensitivity.

split joy con was really great. the only thing that was messing with me were the small sticks and the right stick placement. got me wanting a joy con pro revision.

tr1p1ex

Weird but i played in 3 of the test hours and maybe 40 matches and I think nearly every match was 3 v4 or 4 v3. 1 player always dropped.

daakusedo

Didn't find the right setup to charger aim at ease and followed with playing splatoon, conclusion is I need the wiiu pad...landed nice e-liter shots right off the bat.

psyfi

Banned
Will our load outs be totally customizable in the final game? I wanted to try other guns out more, but I couldn't live without the curling grenade that came with the dualies.

phanphare

Banned
Will our load outs be totally customizable in the final game? I wanted to try other guns out more, but I couldn't live without the curling grenade that came with the dualies.

your gear will be but the weapon sets will not be. usually every weapon has a few different sets to choose from though.

I was actually waiting for the upload to finish. Here ya go!

The VOD seems to have gotten its first 20 seconds or so chopped but the gameplay is there.

man you were wrecking people with the sting ray lol

Toadsili T

Neo Member

If they decide to stick with the system in the first game, then no, customising subs and specials will not be possible. We may still see "variants" of weapons, where the base weapon is the same, but comes with a different Sub and Special kit, which was also in the first game. Otherwise, I wouldn't be hopeful until something is announced otherwise.

I'm hoping the Inkbrush has some reworks because that weapon can be the struggle and the Octobrush is better than it in every way.
While I think Permanent Inkbrush is clearly better than Octobrush, I am curious what changes Nintendo will make with the subs of the Inkbrushes and if there will be a different jump attack like the rollers have now. An Inkbrusher being able to throw out two scrubbers onto the playing field while zipping around faster than everyone else would probably increase it's popularity. (Sidenote: I don't know if Nintendo ever did popularity polls or recorded metadata on the most used weapons.) The Inkmissiles will work a lot better for Inkbrushers than Inkstrikes because the weapon reveals where everyone is and increases the time period your target or targets have to move away from the aerial bombardment, which would definitely improve the Inkbrushes strong chase game.

I haven't tested this but if you launch Inkmissiles under a bridge do the missiles or explosions go through it?

Mandelbo

I never really got all that into Splatoon 1, but this testfire's got me more interested in it. The Dualies are so fun to use - the added mobility is *very* much appreciated, since slow movement outside of squid form is something I didn't really like in the first game. Obviously there were still the issues of playing on a team with people that either don't really know what they're doing or do nothing at all, but
A) it's a lot of people's first time playing and
B) it's a team based online game
so I'm not all that fussed. I tended to come either first or second on my team in all my matches, but I'm fairly sure that won't last long after the game comes out!

I second the hope that Nintendo'll add a vs bots mode, too, given that I won't be able to play online matches when I'm on campus and that it's portable now.

Malus

I thought they said the campaign was going to be about the same size, unless they made more comments since then?

Top Bottom