• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beyond Good & Evil 2 in-engine E3 game video

wildfire

Banned
So are they building a world or a videogame?

The risk with fleshing out entire ecosystems is that your teams have less focus on making day to day gameplay into a finely tuned experience.

The speed and ability to stack ships is extremely promising. Its cool that the camera system is coming back as well. They have some really good starting ideas for gameplay but their ambition to make a fully realized world makes me worried we're looking at a GTA/Star Citizen project but with half the budget and man hours put in.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
This sounds waay too ambitious for their own good. They will need to compromise at some point.

wildfire

Banned
did that thing just do a uturn at five thousand kilometers per hour

This level of maneuverability is exactly what I've wanted to see out of videogame ships since I was preteen. There was Descent and nothing else really matched it let alone improved on it.

BTW nice new avatar.

Impressive Demo, Although have to wait a lot longer for the End product. Really intrested to see how this shapes Up.

IMG_3401.jpg

also there's a very strong possibility that Vivendi will cancel this in about 2 seconds so i'm not even allow myself to get hyped for it.

also there's a very strong possibility that Vivendi will cancel this in about 2 seconds so i'm not even allow myself to get hyped for it.

For what it's worth, I would be very surprised if this engine doesn't get used elsewhere (imagine Far Cry with this kind of scale!) so it's a worthwhile investment either way, surely.

So are they building a world or a videogame?

The risk with fleshing out entire ecosystems is that your teams have less focus on making day to day gameplay into a finely tuned experience.

The speed and ability to stack ships is extremely promising. Its cool that the camera system is coming back as well. They have some really good starting ideas for gameplay but their ambition to make a fully realized world makes me worried we're looking at a GTA/Star Citizen project but with half the budget and man hours put in.

The important part is that it is being made at all. Star Citizen and this are showing what can be done now. You think EA is going to sit on it's ass and let the open-galaxy genre pass them right by? They are probably rebooting Wing Commander right now, and MS is probably spooling up Freelancer 2.

UCBooties

After a year and a half of slogging through No Man's Sky threads, let me ask Mr. Ancel the following as respectfully as possible:

What do you do?

Undeserving snark aside, NMS did illustrate the problem of content and scale. This looks lovely, the scale is so enticing, and I do love the techno Journey to the West vibe as a refreshing alternative to more generic space game aesthetics.

But I am wary of large, beautiful, empty worlds. No Man's Sky promised or implied a great deal on the strength of its scale but the final product, while enjoyable, ended up being quite shallow as a concession to that scale. I want BGaE2 because the first one had memorable characters and a sense of adventure and some great tongue in cheek world building. Nothing in this looks like a successor to that.

stoff

It just isn't viable to release a direct sequel to a game that did not sell at all 15 years ago. Cult classic or not.
Ubi and Ancel need BGE to become a huge deal. They have to expand what BGE is and a prequel that let's the series' world take centre stage is just the sensible the way to go.

What they have so far is really ambitious. One might easily say too ambitious. At the moment it I have trouble seeing tightly designed Gameplay within a world of this scale without boundary. But hey Zelda pulled freedom, exploration and challenge off somehow - BGE2 might as well.

Eolz

For what it's worth, I would be very surprised if this engine doesn't get used elsewhere (imagine Far Cry with this kind of scale!) so it's a worthwhile investment either way, surely.

I'd be surprised. Ubi has a lot of engines, and branches from those engines.
It'll probably end up like From Dust's engine.

The important part is that it is being made at all. Star Citizen and this are showing what can be done now. You think EA is going to sit on it's ass and let the open-galaxy genre pass them right by? They are probably rebooting Wing Commander right now, and MS is probably spooling up Freelancer 2.

Lol no. Especially not EA as long as they are on Star Wars IPs.

The technology and scale of it all are really impressive and Ancel has the talent.

That said, this feels nothing like Beyond Good & Evil from what we've seen, more like Ancel wanted to do a space game. Which is okay, and I can see potential in what he's showing, it's just not BG&E so far.

Now, what I really hope happens, but won't happen as this thread is already showing, is that people keep ther expectations in check. Why?

1. Wild and the original BG&E2 pitch: nothing has come of those, Ancel has been a great designer in the past and has a great track record with small scale platformers, but you can tell that lately he's meddling a lot with tech and seems to get swamped in it by trying to design huge worlds.

2. What he has pitched so far reeks of No Man's Sky meets Molyneux: I don't doubt for a second that Ancel's telling the truth and that he's genuine about his plans (unlike other devs...), but at this point they seem to be just a lot of concepts he wants in the game, detached from the reality of what can and will be in the game.

3. Vast galaxy to explore: why? Devs stop it please. No matter how big your worlds are if you can't do jack shit in them. I was wowed by the seamless change of scale of the game, from a little monkey to huge planets, but what's the point of having enormous planets to explore? The devs can't possibly fill those planets with content, not even a little fraction of them, and you're telling me we'll have several planets (dozens??) to visit? Seems nice on paper, then you end up with No Man's Sky "everything is samey" and "there's nothing to do" problems or other open world games "everything is a fetch quest", "glitches everywhere", or "do the same stuff over and over" situations.

4. It's literally years away. Who knows on what machines it will release. Vivendi could easily nuke it from orbit.

As much as the tech is impressive, I'd like to know more about the plot, the nitty gritty of the gameplay and I wish he just concentrated on making a more focused game with less futile distractions, a steady pace and an amazing plot.

I agree with all your point specially the bolded. Why all developers (at least AAA devs/publishers) want to follow the "giantic world to explore path", IDK.

God complex? very few of them succeded creating a full open world that it's fun to explore

Edit: I mean, this looks gorgeus but I hardly see a game there

Koutsoubas

It's "easy". Handcrafted planets for the main story-dungeons-end game.

Procedurally generated planets for side missions, farming, random encounters and space exploration.

I think 5 handcrafted planets for the main game is superb.

My 2 cents

This looks FANTASTIC!!!

It also looks far too ambitious for us to see a finished game in any kind of reasonable timeframe.

I hope Ubisoft is ready to throw every one of their 1000+ man studios on this to get it finished within the next 4 years. Otherwise, Vivendi will just can it when they complete their hostile take-over (that's if the development staff don't walk in protest first).

Somebody's gotta convince Square Enix to higher more Western developers. Engines like this, regarding scale and such, could GREATLY benefit the FF series. Square sucks at creating new game engines and are stubborn regarding them. How I'd love a FF game with just one BIG world to explore again.

Seeing the lighting and the ships flying, damn this looks so good!

big fake

Doesn't look/feel like BGE to me. This game is speaking too much of depth and not enough of substance. This is not what I fell in love with the original. The tech looks incredible but I think its being used for the wrong game.

13ruce

Banned
It's not an MMO. It's a single player game where if you wish, you can be assisted by online friends.

People need to stop spreading this kind of misinformation.

Wait so i can play this offline solo when it's out in 2020 or 2021:p? If so i am interested again.

zelas

For 500th time this thread: the scale is amazing. Too bad they showed this footage so early though. Nobody is going to want to buy any Ubisoft games preceding it now.

He keeps talking about scale but scale means nothing if there's nothing to fill it with. I'm getting really burned out on open world games with nothing worthwhile to do, so I hope this doesn't fall into that trap.

The Dink

I mean, the game looks good if they can deliver on that vision. But...I don't even know if Ubisoft can throw enough money at the project to succeed in that capacity. Scale is ridiculous as hell.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Looks like what should have been No Man's Sky in the first place.

What makes you think that? The tech demo looks like NMS without content. Not even the terrain is as good as in NMS. What good is size when there's nothing interesting? Fool me once, shame on Murray, fool me twice ... Ancel's strength lies in linear games. Storytelling. This seems like it will be the opposite of that based on his own words.

Ubisoft is now building a Sea of Thieves clone and a NMS clone. Best of luck, they are going to need it. I expect Vivendi to shut this down within weeks.

I'm sure they have a very talented team but with the Vivendi buyout looming, I really genuinely think this will be the last we see of this.

Ran rp

You know, I guess it's still possible for them to properly wrap up Jade's story with some meaty single player DLC or standalone campaign.

Yukinari

This can be the best game ever or the new No Man's Sky

Seems to me like this has even more riding on its back considering its BG&E.

I know a lot of people are still bummed about the gameplay details and it being a prequel so this game really has to deliver.

It looks very ambitious. Reminding me, as others, to initial pitches and interviews of NMS. Maybe it's different with more experienced people.

All I really need is solid gameplay mechanics with a solid decently long story and I'd be happy. If they add everything else to it it's just milk on the already moist tres leches.

Holy shit. Wasn't expecting that smooth zoom out to space. Hopefully they can really fill up these planets with enough content. Mostly I'm just glad this is further along than I thought after the reveal.

I didn't even think they had a rough skeleton together. This game did nothing for me when it was announced but now I'm more interested especially hearing about customizable main characters and multiplayer.

Top Bottom