• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy III (DS, iOS) coming to PSP

kuroshiki

Original famicon 3 was just god awesome. It made the foundation of today's FF (better graphic than DQ, symbolic music -crystal theme-, job system, etc)

DS 3 was just... let's pretend it didn't exist.

Teknoman

XIV is not a mainline Final Fantasy game. Don't get fooled by the title. XI should have been called Online and XIV, Online 2.

I dunno...XI had a damn fine story and would be great. But yeah another port of FFIII DS is really unnecessary...Unless this ends up being some definitive port with lots of awesome additions.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Ok, but any reliable site reporting this?

How would they be? It's Japanese news, and it's from a magazine next week. Are you asking if Kotaku or Joystiq have bothered to repost the same information that's in the OP? I'm not sure, but they probably will at some point :p

AndriaSang is posting it, but again it's just "We're seeing a few reports claiming that next week's Jump has first word on a PSP version of Final Fantasy III. The PSP version of the classic is supposedly a port of the DS version. While there are some tiny images of Jump's reveal article floating about, we'll wait for confirmation from one of our usual flying get sources (lest we have another Dragon Ball Omega debacle)."--it can't actually be confirmed confirmed until, as AS says, someone gets the magazine early.

Aeana

How would they be? It's Japanese news, and it's from a magazine next week. Are you asking if Kotaku or Joystiq have bothered to repost the same information that's in the OP? I'm not sure, but they probably will at some point :p

AndriaSang is posting it, but again it's just "We're seeing a few reports claiming that next week's Jump has first word on a PSP version of Final Fantasy III. The PSP version of the classic is supposedly a port of the DS version. While there are some tiny images of Jump's reveal article floating about, we'll wait for confirmation from one of our usual flying get sources (lest we have another Dragon Ball Omega debacle)."--it can't actually be confirmed confirmed until, as AS says, someone gets the magazine early.
Someone did, and there's a scan. The person you quoted wants it posted, but obviously it cannot be.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Someone did, and there's a scan. The person you quoted wants it posted, but obviously it cannot be.

Well, I mean, it can be posted, it'll just be removed and the poster will be banned. But, like, in a cosmic sense, someone certainly could post it :p

Goli

I think the odds are really high of it having an English option, so if you really want it, you could just grab the import.

If it does have an English option like FFI, II and IVCC, I really, really think it'll end up coming out of Japan eventually.
And with a nice font, perhaps.

Slime

Banned
I knew it was a stretch, but I'd been holding out hope for a 2D remake. Thought PSP was the most likely candidate due to FFIV. Bummer.

Wasn't crazy about either 3D version.

Vamphuntr

On the bright side, it probably won't have that awful Moogle email feature which is required to unlock items, a job and a dungeon.

Zee-Row

Banned
DS versions of FFIV and FFIII were way to slow when it came to combat especially the loading it had for a battle to start.

duckroll

The release date in Japan is Sept 20. 3300yen is for the PSN version, while the retail UMD version will cost 3800yen. Apparently this version will include the original Famicom soundtrack as an option.

Gameboy415

The release date in Japan is Sept 20. 3300yen is for the PSN version, while the retail UMD version will cost 3800yen. Apparently this version will include the original Famicom soundtrack as an option.

Cool stuff!

I hope there is a UMD release in the US (even if it's an online-only limited edition or some such) for collectors!

Zoe

I'd rather see a 2D port for the sake of consistency, but it's nice no longer having that gap in the series.

B.K.

I hope there is a UMD release in the US (even if it's an online-only limited edition or some such) for collectors!

Never going to happen. If they won't release a new, original title (Type-0) on PSP in America, there's no way they'll release a port of a six year old game.

Eusis

If anything, this is definitely coming to the West because it's already translated, while Type-0 is still LOL. SE is such a mess.
I can actually think of a different angle: This is probably a really easy game for SE to go "eh whatever", insert the translation, and dump on the PSN while never bothering with a UMD release. They'd want to be more ambitious with Type-0 I think, so unless all these smaller publishers putting out PSP games ANYWAYS encourages them to just stick with the PSP version I think we'll be seeing a port somewhere else.

Eusis

With PSN and the fact they managed to sell this on it in Japan I do think there's always the possibility that, similar to some PC games, they get it to retail on newer and more successful platforms (Vita/3DS) while dumping the original PSP game on the PSN for some extra easy cash. Most likely that'd hinge on how much other versions get improved, if at all, IE if the 3DS version just gets 3D or extra characters and crap.

Gameboy415

Never going to happen. If they won't release a new, original title (Type-0) on PSP in America, there's no way they'll release a port of a six year old game.

Blah, you're probably right. I'll probably just grab the JP release when it gets cheap.

B.K.

Blah, you're probably right. I'll probably just grab the JP release when it gets cheap.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Japanese version has English text in it. The PSP versions of I, II, and IV all had English and Japanese text. III might too.

Jigsaw

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised if the Japanese version has English text in it. The PSP versions of I, II, and IV all had English and Japanese text. III might too.

is the ios version available in japan too?does it contain english text?

Interesting choice. Man, the PSP just won't lie down in Japan, eh? Poor Vita.

I like the DS remake though. I take it that that's an unpopular opinion, eh?

Troidal

FFIII DS was absolute horseshit. What bothered me in both III and IV DS were how limited the number of enemies on screen due to lack of RAM. Did they change that in the iOS version? The battles dont feel so tense when you only have like 2-3 enemies on screen vs. 8 on screen in the original. Meh on this PSP port really. You guys should just get Type-0 if that hits NA/Europe.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Just keep it on PSP and put it on PSN for PSP's and Vita's. That's all I ask.

Type-0 is not an Atlus niche game with sales target fix a 2.000 copies worldwide. Square Enix knows this game is big, big to produce, big for potential sales in the west. They'll not take it here until they find the best way to deliver it... may that be a 3DS porting, an enhanced version on PS3/VITA, or even a full remake for PS3/360. if chances are there. We really don't know what they're plans currently are, but because they skipped E3... we might see something interesting in the coming months.

What an idiotic product. A 2D port in line with I/II/IV (especially one drawing more on the original design of the game) would have a point. Satisfying the perverse compulsion of people who don't want to get cooties from playing a game on an alternate-manufacturer device does not.

Famassu

What an idiotic product. A 2D port in line with I/II/IV (especially one drawing more on the original design of the game) would have a point. Satisfying the perverse compulsion of people who don't want to get cooties from playing a game on an alternate-manufacturer device does not.
Or maybe, as shocking as it is, not everyone has a DS or Apple's overpriced products (which most likely than not has nothing to do with any fanboy crap like you're implying). I know it's a crazy proposition, but these kind of people are born on this planet every other century, I'm not kidding!

And I don't really see how a downgrade would be any better. This is the best version of the game so it makes sense (at least if it's not a full-priced product).

Uh, couldn't you say the exact same thing about the iOS port or basically any other port? I don't really understand where your argument is coming from.

I have FFIII DS and I'll probably buy this, both so that I can play it on the Vita (which to me is a FAR more comfortable device than my DS Lite) and so I'll have almost the entire series on it. Here's hoping we see FFX-2 and FFXII HD ports after FFX HD.

Or maybe, as shocking as it is, not everyone has a DS or Apple's overpriced products

The number of people who don't own a DS or 3DS, don't have any iOS product, and yet are still dedicated enough gamers to care about playing Final Fantasy 3 is vanishingly small to the point of irrelevance.

And I don't really see how a downgrade would be any better. This is the best version of the game so it makes sense (at least if it's not a full-priced product).

The original version plays very differently in many ways, runs a lot faster, and features more monsters per battle. It'd at least have a vague purpose along the lines of FFIV PSP compared to FFIV DS (i.e. the best iteration of the original version of the game.)

Uh, couldn't you say the exact same thing about the iOS port or basically any other port?

The iOS port is a pretty dumb (and extremely shoddy) product too, but at least it's porting across product types (from a dedicated handheld to phones/tablets) and it's priced at $16 (which is still overpriced, but at least moderately lower.) This one has everything that's wrong with the iOS version (probably including the hideous typography) except it's on another handheld that probably has like 90+% overlap with DS owners and it's priced at 3300 yen.

FFIII DS was absolute horseshit. What bothered me in both III and IV DS were how limited the number of enemies on screen due to lack of RAM. Did they change that in the iOS version? The battles dont feel so tense when you only have like 2-3 enemies on screen vs. 8 on screen in the original. Meh on this PSP port really. You guys should just get Type-0 if that hits NA/Europe.

What? IV DS has about as many enemies as the original. It was only III that was limited to 2-3 enemies.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

It's Square-Enix, so it's like it's opposite day.

We'll get this one for sure.

Eusis

It's Square-Enix, so it's like it's opposite day.

We'll get this one for sure.
And honestly I can see the logic in releasing this as a PSN title whereas Type-0 they'd rather go all out with. I'm sure we'll see Type-0 eventually though, whereas this can easily be a "not worth bothering with even minimal effort" release.

Ultratech

Took the words right outta my mouth.

I don't like the DS version very much.

Same here. The only thing the DS version really did right was the complete job rebalance (minus Sage and Ninja, since they were OP for a reason).

I'd love for a 2D remake to come out, but I don't foresee it happening soon.

That's a pretty shitty excuse. All the game systems are documented. Moreover, a fan did a complete reverse engineering and documentation of the assembly code for FF1--if a company couldn't do the same for their own product, that's an embarrassment. I don't even know NES 6502 and I'd be able to do it if you gave me a few months working 40 hours a week.

Yeah, I forget what their exact excuse for the WSC version was other than the developers had no idea how to interpret some of the systems code. Apparently, they had a lot of trouble trying to convert some systems, since it was all hard-coded and the original coders weren't around to help figure it out. That's why the CP system got changed in the remake or so I heard. (I do remember CP values having some pseudo-random element or something in how it was formed.) Yeah, it's a pretty crappy excuse.

I do remember the developers saying how the cartridge was filled to the brim, and I wouldn't be surprised if was a complete mess at some point.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I remember buying this game the same day as Red Steel and it was still the worst game I bought that day.

Top Bottom