• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

Color me impressed! That is a tricky feat.

One of the best aspects of the game is that there is no right or wrong way to go about things. You mean the Akkala tower, right? That was tricky. We missed it on our way up, but apparently there are some environmental tricks to getting up there a bit more easily.

I ended up just running past the guardians and saving every two seconds to further my progress, then at the tower I climbed onto a nearby pillar and paraglided to a spot just above the black goo.

maxcriden

I ended up just running past the guardians and saving every two seconds to further my progress, then at the tower I climbed onto a nearby pillar and paraglided to a spot just above the black goo.

We did pretty much the same. It was helpful to heal with the cooking pot in the middle of the ruins.

Wollan

Love how in Hyrule Castle
that the music changes from orchestra focused to organ in real time when entering the keep. I tried walking in and out of the castle and it changed the instruments on the fly back and forth.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Did we ever get a decent version of the launch/story trailer music?

Sadly not, seems to be an arrangement of different tracks custom made for the trailer.

There's a distinct lack of long-form Zelda theme tracks in the game. The epilogue being the longest.

I'm doing the Weapon Connoisseur quest and I'm on Frost Spear. I HAD one for the longest time, but it broke and I forgot to take a picture of it. Where's the best place to find one?

I'm doing the Weapon Connoisseur quest and I'm on Frost Spear. I HAD one for the longest time, but it broke and I forgot to take a picture of it. Where's the best place to find one?

Coliseum if you've killed enough enemies. You can find all 9 element weapons there, except rods.

andthebeatgoeson

Color me impressed! That is a tricky feat.

One of the best aspects of the game is that there is no right or wrong way to go about things. You mean the Akkala tower, right? That was tricky. We missed it on our way up, but apparently there are some environmental tricks to getting up there a bit more easily.
Yeah, doing the rito Divine beast in the beginning.

😎

maxcriden

Still early on, just randomly stumbled upon the
Master Sword
while finding the korok seed guy. Too weak to get it yet though.

You did great getting to that area. Lots of people struggle to get through the bit before it, including us.

Yeah, doing the rito Divine beast in the beginning.

😎

The only DB we've done is the Goron one but given how helpful the power is I imagine the others assist quite a bit also. (Though the voice acting on the powers is distracting to me.)

Jackano

One of the game con is the boss balance.
Even in Expert mode, I'm pretty sure you can one-shot each of the forms of the zora boss (at least this one) with good attack buff and a good bow.
Pretty sure you can destroy him with a x5 lynel bow, bomb arrows and a attack lv3 meal

I didn't even tried that, I used my most disposable weapons at that time.

Wollan

Rescued Hyrule and defeated Ganon.
Took me a bit past 45 hours which includes all the towers and 40 shrines (a third).
Master Sword and Hylian Shield in hand. Even excluding DLC & seeds I could see this lasting a long time for completionists. I however feel like I've seen the major sights at this point.

The strongest part of the game is clearly the expertly designed layout of the world and the sandbox approach to everything. Having the gameplay be very pick up & play and instant in traditional Zelda style really fits in with the experimentation. If the game had a good overture and musical identity like OoT it would probably take the adventuring to 11.

Superb game.

maxcriden

Rescued Hyrule and defeated Ganon.
Took me a bit past 45 hours which includes all the towers and 40 shrines (a third).
Master Sword and Hylian Shield in hand. Even excluding DLC & seeds I could see this lasting a long time for completionists. I however feel like I've seen the major sights at this point.

The strongest part of the game is clearly the expertly designed layout of the world and the sandbox approach to everything. Having the gameplay be very pick up & play and instant in traditional Zelda style really fits in with the experimentation. If the game had a good overture and musical identity like OoT (and less repetition, more enemy variety) it would probably take the adventuring to 11.

Superb game.

Glad you enjoyed it so well.
In terms of seeing the major sights, one I don't see mentioned often these days is atop a mountain north of Hateno. Did you make it there in your travels?

maxcriden

Satori Mountain. That's gorgeous area.

Hmm, looks like that is in West Hyrule. I don't think we've been. Thank you. Funnily enough if I understand which location it is, if I'm remembering correctly we skirted the outside of the mountain from Rutile Lake and then around and up the bridge that eventually leads to Ridgeland Tower. I don't think we went up the actual mountain but I'll have to check the Hero's Path when we return to the game.

Hmm, looks like that is in West Hyrule. I don't think we've been. Thank you. Funnily enough if I understand which location it is, if I'm remembering correctly we skirted the outside of the mountain from Rutile Lake and then around and up the bridge that eventually leads to Ridgeland Tower. I don't think we went up the actual mountain but I'll have to check the Hero's Path when we return to the game.

You might want to time your visit there with a certain (randomly occuring?) event:
Lord of the Mountain

TheMoon

Thanks guys! We will. We've seen the
glow
I believe (I read a little bit about this event), from a distance...but maybe that was a different
glow....

Not talking about shooting stars, they're all over the place (and appropriately colored).

maxcriden

Not talking about shooting stars, they're all over the place (and appropriately colored).

Thanks. It's a bit fuzzy for me.
I think we have found star fragments from glowing green now that I think of it. But what color does this other thing glow? I thought I read you can see it from a distance. I feel like we've seen green glows and other glows.

TheMoon

Thanks. It's a bit fuzzy for me.
I think we have found star fragments from glowing green now that I think of it. But what color does this other thing glow? I thought I read you can see it from a distance. I feel like we've seen green glows and other glows.

If your
shooting stars with star fragments aren't yellow
then your TV settings are weird :D

The g
reen/blue/teal glow
is unique and only appears in a single location.

maxcriden

If your
shooting stars with star fragments aren't yellow
then your TV settings are weird :D

The g
reen/blue/teal glow
is unique and only appears in a single location.

Thanks.
I don't really remember, it's been a couple months. Now that you mention it I think I remember them being yellow as you said. Is the green glow the spot on Satori Mountain, then?

Red

After playing so long without ever doing the beasts, I developed a sort of rhythm that feels completely thrown off by the champion powers. I wish daruk's protection for example didn't obscure so much of the area around Link—it makes it difficult to read what's going on close to him. Revali's gale feels like outright cheating.

TheMoon

Thanks.
I don't really remember, it's been a couple months. Now that you mention it I think I remember them being yellow as you said. Is the green glow the spot on Satori Mountain, then?

I don't remember what the mountain is called but there's nothing else like that around so if you see it, that's what/where it is.

maxcriden

I don't remember what the mountain is called but there's nothing else like that around so if you see it, that's what/where it is.

Thank you both!

After playing so long without ever doing the beasts, I developed a sort of rhythm that feels completely thrown off by the champion powers. I wish daruk's protection for example didn't obscure so much of the area around Link—it makes it difficult to read what's going on close to him. Revali's gale feels like outright cheating.

That makes sense. We only have the Datuk one but the voice acting that accompany them throws me off. Thankfully you can run the powers off.

Wollan

Enjoy. I was going to recommend an island in the SE but you've been there.
My favorite moment likely.

In terms of seeing the major sights, one I don't see mentioned often these days is atop a mountain north of Hateno. Did you make it there in your travels?
*adds to list*
Just did this now. That was certainly something. Thanks.

Satori Mountain. That's gorgeous area.
I actually encountered this during my normal play through prior to defeating Ganon. That was a beautiful little moment.
Haven't tried taming the Lord of the Mountain yet though. Only took photos for the encyclopedia.

Coliseum if you've killed enough enemies. You can find all 9 element weapons there, except rods.

Ahhh thanks! The Coliseum was one of the first places I went by when I first left the plateau, but I didn't go inside assuming I needed to be better equipped. Needed to dump some weapons before collecting. Defeated my first White (?) Lynel. Man! It's grueling, but really satisfying. I LOVE that about this game, whether it's defeating a Lynel or discovering an epic new area even hours into your game really feels like an accomplishment.

But anyway, was so overwhelmed by that, I left forgetting what I came there for, the Frost Spear. Oops.

it does that fairly frequently.

bring some carrot dishes.

Speaking of accomplishments, it was amazing stumbling upon this. I think I was way over in the Gerudo area, saw the blue light, used the scope to find where the light was coming from and left to check it out.

I feel like I'm missing something though.

I, too, saw the King of the Forest and took its picture, but I tried shooting arrows at it and the blupees like it's been said by certain folks and I didn't much more than 40 or so rupees. Though now that someone has pointed it out, I definitely want to try to mount the King. Still what am I missing as far as getting a bunch of rupees? It is it just exaggerated?

sanstesy

Replaying the game now and it's pretty amazing to see how "linear" the game can feel when you follow the orders the main characters give you. It's pretty much a completely new experience from my first playthrough where I didn't even go to Kakariko in the first 20 hours. The different roads you take completely change and as a result the adventure feels old yet new.

I'm also finding so much shrine quests I missed on my first playthrough.

maxcriden

My favorite moment likely.

Just did this now. That was certainly something. Thanks.

I actually encountered this during my normal play through prior to defeating Ganon. That was a beautiful little moment.
Haven't tried taming the Lord of the Mountain yet though. Only took photos for the encyclopedia.

One of our fave moments as well (in 110 hours, 60 shrines, a good deal of the map, but only 1 DB defeated). Glad you enjoyed your mountainous trek as well!

Dead

well not really...yet
Owned the game since release but only really started playing it yesterday (being stuck at home sick...) and man, this is so good. Just got to the Zora domain, and I can't put it down.

Making progress... Done the puzzles for two divine beasts (haven't fought bosses though), slowly uncovering the map (only the western regions left), shrine hunting, trying to get enough hearts for Master Sword.

What's the general way to tackle armor? I've upgraded some of mine (cold and heat resist ones) but they're all still very weak. Where do I get real late game armor? And do I use luminous stones ever?

Chinbo37

Making progress... Done the puzzles for two divine beasts (haven't fought bosses though), slowly uncovering the map (only the western regions left), shrine hunting, trying to get enough hearts for Master Sword.

What's the general way to tackle armor? I've upgraded some of mine (cold and heat resist ones) but they're all still very weak. Where do I get real late game armor? And do I use luminous stones ever?

For armor basically I just killed lots of enemies and collected as much stuff as I could as I explored the world. By the time I had explored about 3/4 I could easily upgrade most stuff to level 3. That's basically all you need. At that point to get things to level 4 it would have required some farming but I never really needed armor that strong.

Remember you have to find all 4 fairies to be able to upgrade to level 4. 3 Fairies for level 3 etc.

Then toggle them off in your inventory.

Mipha's Grace is the only one I feel is overpowered.

Jackano

Still what am I missing as far as getting a bunch of rupees? It is it just exaggerated?

1/ Cook Lynel parts with one insect or lizard.
2/ Do a world tour on the edge of the world, preferably N-East corner->S-East corner and collect gems.
3/ Hunt in Hebra for divine meet. Cook 5 of them together.

Deku Tree

If I am playing BotW on Switch, is there any difference in energy consumption if I leave the gaming running and put the switch to sleep vs quit the game and put the switch to sleep?

I am asking because I heard that the PS4 uses more energy when you keep games in stasis during rest mode but I am not sure.

Wollan

I am asking because I heard that the PS4 uses more energy when you keep games in stasis during rest mode but I am not sure.
Regarding PS4, it just keeps enough current for main GDDR5 memory not to clean out I suspect (I don't think they cache it to the HDD). Normal Rest mode, without apps in stasis, would only have the 1GB DDR3 ram & ARM processor run.

I'm suspecting the Switch has only one memory pool (and one cpu) so doubt there's a big difference between sleep and sleep with game in stasis.

Deku Tree

Regarding PS4, it just keeps enough current for main GDDR5 memory not to clean out I suspect (I don't think they cache it to the DB). Normal Rest mode, without apps in stasis, would only have the 1GB DDR3 ram & ARM processor run.

I'm suspecting the Switch has only one memory pool (and one cpu) so doubt there's a big difference between sleep and sleep with game in stasis.

Thanks!

maxcriden

1/ Cook Lynel parts with one insect or lizard.
2/ Do a world tour on the edge of the world, preferably N-East corner->S-East corner and collect gems.
3/ Hunt in Hebra for divine meet. Cook 5 of them together.

What happens when you cook Lynel parts with an insect or lizard? Do you eat something that causes you to poop rupees?

Fedele

Been playing this for the past two weeks and I really just wanted to say this game is fucking amazing - the sense of exploration really is amazing, better than any other open world game I've seen in a long long time.

The convenience of having it on the go with the Switch really adds up to the OT's title - I play it on every.single.break.

Top Bottom