• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arizona GAF | It's a dry heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOLDSFAN

I've got a brother in Arizona, and some of the stories are bonkers.

He's a bit of a gun-nut, and he says that he can basically go out of town onto state land, and shoot to his heart's content.

Arizona-Gaf, I ask you: is this legit? Can you really shoot willy-nilly on state property out in the open?
Yes this is normal in areas where there are large open areas that are owned by the govt.

When I lived in Nevada my dad and I would always go out in the wilderness and shoot milk jugs, bottles, etc... Was a lot of fun. Especially knowing you didn't have to bother with all the people in a standard shooting range.

While I agree , there is a certain charm to Tucson's scummyness. Also Tucson has a ton of outstanding restaurants and foody type places. Like i said , i have no problem recommending Oro valley, catalina fooothills , and sabino canyon area . All fairly nice and hugely different from the "in the cut" vibe Tucson exudes.

I enjoy the food Tucson offers for sure. But as a photographer, I find the landscapes around here and the city itself to be so bland and ugly. I know a lot people love it, but it's just not for me.

Moving from Portland last year to Tucson was a huge downgrade haha

I love Tucson's Barrio District. Shame that the Convention Center was built, piece of shit doesn't even recoup its expenses every year. And fuck La Placita, too.

Corsick

How's the housing market in the Mesa area? It looks like it's very affordable for someone looking in the mid threes and lower.

Cr0wn0

Well the lines st comic con sure are long this year...

I went yesterday, Initial line was over 2 hours, people were fainting and having seizures. I ended up taking my kids to the science center for a few hours and by that time the lines had died down/been fixed and we walked right in. Anything to do with the line was a cluster but I think they did a good job with everything else.

Pryce

So any grads/students of ASU or UA here?

Thoughts on the schools? I will be attending one of them next year, but I haven't made my decision up yet. I'm leaning toward ASU as it's closer to family and the mountains but from what I've read/heard UA is the better school.

RetroMG

Thoughts on the schools? I will be attending one of them next year, but I haven't made my decision up yet. I'm leaning toward ASU as it's closer to family and the mountains but from what I've read/heard UA is the better school.

Welp. You just started a flame war between rival schools. Nice going, hero.

U of A - Go Wildcats!

ST2K

I am an alumni of one of those schools, and I would go NAU if it was an option.

HariKari

What major? Some programs at ASU are throw-away trash tier, others are very well thought of. Same for UA.

proto

UA grad here. I think they're pretty similar:

- Above average education for a public school
- Large student body
- Lots of California kids
- Large Greek culture (frats/sororities)
- Big NCAA sports scene

Here are the main differences:

- ASU has multiple campuses in the Phoenix area, whereas UA is all in one place.
- Rent is cheaper in Tucson (UA), can get nice place with some roommates for ~400 easy, less with some luck and research.
- ASU has a reputation for being trashy, UA is trashy too, but ASU is constantly the butt of jokes for being a party school full of dumb frat bros (not saying this is true at all).

Also, UA has the reputation for being a better school because they have some of the best programs in the nation for certain fields. Geology, Public Health, Dance, Optical Engineering, and Neuroscience are all top tier programs so if you plan on studying any of those you should definitely go to UA. Everything else is comparable between the two schools education wise.

I'm sure ASU has some great programs as well, but I wouldn't know since I didn't go there.

Someone from ASU should chime in and lemme know if I got anything wrong.

ASU undergrad is generally worse but not all programs. ASU graduate school is great.

Problem with Arizona is the big 3 universities make it hell for any attempt at other schools coming in.

RetroMG

ASU used to have a reputation as a party school. I don't know if it is still true or even if it was ever true to begin with, but there it is. Do with that what you will. lol

HariKari

ASU used to have a reputation as a party school. I don't know if it is still true or even if it was ever true to begin with, but there it is. Do with that what you will. lol

I mean, it's a big campus in the middle of a major metro area, not far from Scottsdale. Parties still happen but the frats have been driven off campus and the school has worked hard to shed that label. Some programs are highly ranked and you've got the Barrett honors college. Overall, it has improved considerably in the last 20 years.

Fuck the Arizona Wildcats.

Pryce

Fuck the Arizona Wildcats.

Relax, Elizabeth!

I mean, it's a big campus in the middle of a major metro area, not far from Scottsdale. Parties still happen but the frats have been driven off campus and the school has worked hard to shed that label. Some programs are highly ranked and you've got the Barrett honors college. Overall, it has improved considerably in the last 20 years.

That's what everyone, especially people my parents age, have ever said about ASU. It's one of the reasons why I'm having trouble deciding.

ASU undergrad is generally worse but not all programs. ASU graduate school is great.

Problem with Arizona is the big 3 universities make it hell for any attempt at other schools coming in.

Thanks. I will nearly for certain be going to graduate school so I will consider this.

- Large student body
- Big NCAA sports scene

- ASU has multiple campuses in the Phoenix area, whereas UA is all in one place.
- Rent is cheaper in Tucson (UA), can get nice place with some roommates for ~400 easy, less with some luck and research.
- ASU has a reputation for being trashy, UA is trashy too, but ASU is constantly the butt of jokes for being a party school full of dumb frat bros (not saying this is true at all).

Also, UA has the reputation for being a better school because they have some of the best programs in the nation for certain fields. Geology, Public Health, Dance, Optical Engineering, and Neuroscience are all top tier programs so if you plan on studying any of those you should definitely go to UA. Everything else is comparable between the two schools education wise.

I'm sure ASU has some great programs as well, but I wouldn't know since I didn't go there.

Interesting! Geology (along with two other major's that I will decide on before I start) is one my of choices if I go into the sciences. I know that ASU has the SESE center which is really neat.

What major? Some programs at ASU are throw-away trash tier, others are very well thought of. Same for UA.

Geology, computer science, or Anthropology (science) are what I'm deciding on.

ive heard stories about crazy parties on Mill Ave, but a long time ago. ASU has done a pretty good job of shedding the party image.

HariKari

That's what everyone, especially people my parents age, have ever said about ASU. It's one of the reasons why I'm having trouble deciding.

Are you new to AZ? How far away will the parents be? I'd definitely choose Tempe over Tucson if I was new to AZ. If they live in the Phoenix area, I'd go to Tucson.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast

- Large student body
- Big NCAA sports scene

UA also has a very solid business program.

HariKari

If I'm remembering correctly ASUs supply chain program is highly rated. I think the business school lives off their ratings for that program and their MBA.

I have two degrees from ASU, with one of them being in Supply Chain. It's great. If you're into operations, logistics, streamlining, quality management, process improvement etc... then it's a fun degree. High demand. It's always top 5 in the nation. I started off as finance but I took the SCM 300 intro class (with Davila, incredible professor) they require of all WP Carey students and fell in love.

Geology, computer science, or Anthropology (science) are what I'm deciding on.

Thats quite the variety. Anyway, I'm a current ASU student, and have also previously graduated from there. Currently getting a degree in Computer Science.

If you're going into engineering or business, ASU has pretty good programs for those.

ASU is also a pretty big school if you're on the main campus, which is something I like about it. I'd avoid the other campuses. I took classes at the polytechnic campus and its way out in the middle of nowhere and there's nothing to do out there.

LOLDSFAN

Welp I guess I'll be saying goodbye to ArizonaGAF in less than a month.

Snagged a really good job opportunity in New Mexico.

Almost 2 years here, and I really started to like it once I moved away from the west side and got a better apartment. Not to mention I finally started to make some good friends in the past 6 months or so.

ST2K

Welp I guess I'll be saying goodbye to ArizonaGAF in less than a month.

Snagged a really good job opportunity in New Mexico.

Almost 2 years here, and I really started to like it once I moved away from the west side and got a better apartment. Not to mention I finally started to make some good friends in the past 6 months or so.

On the bright side, New Mexico isn't too much of a change.

Have fun, and make sure to take a left at Albuquerque.

So I believe the GF and I settled on Mesa as a place to call home. Her work being in Tempe and mine in Chandler.

Are there areas of Mesa to avoid? We are looking at apartments now, so if anyone has recommendations- I'm open ears!

telasoman

So I believe the GF and I settled on Mesa as a place to call home. Her work being in Tempe and mine in Chandler.

Are there areas of Mesa to avoid? We are looking at apartments now, so if anyone has recommendations- I'm open ears!

I would avoid the area between alma school and recker, thats between university and broadway.

I would avoid the area between alma school and recker, thats between university and broadway.

recker? Thats pretty far east. I'd say just between alma school and stapely. I live between val vista and greenfield and its a pretty good area.

Yo...it's way too hot...

One reason I'm glad I'm working from home this summer. I pretty much only have to go outside to get the mail or sometimes get lunch.

Ryck

Wow weird, synergy. The wife and I were looking up houses Peoria today. Her family is relocating there and we were thinking of making the switch as well. We live in San Diego right now which is amazing but terribly expensive. We rent a 700sq foot duplex and for the same money we can buy a 3000 sq foot mansion practically.

So is the weather really that bad?

Wow weird, synergy. The wife and I were looking up houses Peoria today. Her family is relocating there and we were thinking of making the switch as well. We live in San Diego right now which is amazing but terribly expensive. We rent a 700sq foot duplex and for the same money we can buy a 3000 sq foot mansion practically.

Housing market is great within the suburbs on the west side, great value if you can deal with the traffic in the mornings around the 10 or 17 freeways.

Weather isn't as big of a deal, you get used to it in the summers, the occasional monsoon rolling through is always relieving. October - May is usually very comfortable for the most part. If you live out in the suburbs you can probably avoid some retained heat at night and actually be able to go outside after dusk.

StoneFox

Depends on your personal preference.

In the summer it can exceed 115+ degrees, but the humidity can vary. Yes, it is a dry heat most of the time, but every summer there is a handful of people who die of heat exposure because they underestimate how quickly the sun can kill you. You can be having a heat stroke and be unaware of it, people were collapsing outside of Phoenix Comic Con last weekend because of the long lines outside. Always carry water with you even if you think you don't need it. I always have a few water bottles in my car at all times.

In the monsoon seasons, we get dust storms. Mostly harmless but the high winds plus dust can uproot trees and damage buildings and vehicles. There is also the very rare risk of contracting Valley Fever during a dust storm, but again, this is extremely rare.
The sun is going to be constant, there is rarely an overcast day outside the monsoon season. The wind can be blowing and it'll still be hot. Anything you leave outside like your car or lawn furniture will eventually have a coat of dust covering it. If you are coming from a relatively humid place to the valley, your nose will burn for a few days.

The upside is that the "winter" is very nice and mild. The sun still shines but it doesn't feel like it's actively killing you.

Ultimately, it's best to move to Arizona during the summer. If you can stand it in the summer, winter is no problem (outside of snow birds). I have not gotten used to the heat after 20 years.

HariKari

Shoot for between Val Vista and Ellsworth IMO, near the 60 so you can commute easier. Power & 60 is a nice little area with different apartment complexes. West Mesa is kind of... ehh

Are you willing to trade 4-5 months of hopping between AC areas for some of the best weather in the US the rest of the time? It's really not that bad. I can't stand Florida but hot AZ weather is easy to handle. Because there's very little humidity, you can escape it.

RetroMG

Are you willing to trade 4-5 months of hopping between AC areas for some of the best weather in the US the rest of the time? It's really not that bad. I can't stand Florida but hot AZ weather is easy to handle. Because there's very little humidity, you can escape it.

Pretty much this. Look for a place with really good AC or even a newish swamp cooler. Invest in fans. Make sure the AC in your car/cars are working. Also a good idea to have a swimming pool available somewhere, whether you have one at your house, have friends with a pool, or you get a membership to somewhere with a pool.

Also be aware that if any of those AC units give out during the summer months, it's going to be an emergency, and you're going to be willing to do just about anything to get it fixed as quickly as possible.

The heat is bad, and if you're stupid about it, you'll be miserable, but if you're smart and keep all your stuff running, living here is fine.

Ryck

Yes I am, the cost of living in SD is such that my wife and I will never be able to afford a house and also live a comfortable life. Plus I enjoy dry heat ( have spent lots of time in Vegas throughout my lifetime )

The heat is bad, and if you're stupid about it, you'll be miserable, but if you're smart and keep all your stuff running, living here is fine.
We are looking to buy a newer house so central air is going to be top of the list for sure.

Depends on your personal preference.
San Diego has it's warmer area's but it also has a bit of humidity so that can make it rough. I am not really an outdoorsy type of guy, I haven't been to the beach in YEARS and I live about 5-6 miles from one. I try to avoid being in the sun as I don't really like it. I tend to spend most of my outdoor time (walking my dog or jogging) after the sun has gone down.

Housing market is great within the suburbs on the west side, great value if you can deal with the traffic in the mornings around the 10 or 17 freeways.

Weather isn't as big of a deal, you get used to it in the summers, the occasional monsoon rolling through is always relieving. October - May is usually very comfortable for the most part. If you live out in the suburbs you can probably avoid some retained heat at night and actually be able to go outside after dusk.
Yeah my wife and I are finding houses for 200-300k that would run about 700-900k here. It is pretty ridiculous. Big 3000 sq foot new houses with 3 car garages and swimming pools. The mortgage would be less than the rent on our tiny 700sq foot duplex. My father in law is going to sell his home here in SD and spend half to buy a 3 acre property in Peoria. The other half is going in the bank so they are pretty much set for their retirement ( on top of his retirement pay). We really liked Westwing Mountain Area, that is primarily where we have been looking. Is that a good area?

Right now it all hinges on the sale of my business, I have run an Insurance Brokerage for the past 10 years. Now I have to looking into selling it, depending on how much I can get from the sale will determine when and what type of budget we will have. My wife is really excited about it even though we are still very much in the early planning stages of everything.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

One last question, the youtube video comment section ( I know I shouldn't but I always do) makes it seem like the state is very conservative, is that true?

Unicorn

The Westwood area:

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/phoenix/2016/06/28/phoenix-worst-spot-for-crime/86429876/

Essentially 19th ave West to the I-17 all the way north to Camelback.

23rd avenue is a special kind of scary along that route from North to South.

As someone that used to drive through there every day for work for deliveries to a nearby heat-treating facility, I can attest to this truth.

Also, even the wild pack of chihuahuas is something you don't want to mess with. Broken glass on every street. Mean-mugging at all hours of the day.

The Westwood area:

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/phoenix/2016/06/28/phoenix-worst-spot-for-crime/86429876/

Essentially 19th ave West to the I-17 all the way north to Camelback.

23rd avenue is a special kind of scary along that route from North to South.

As someone that used to drive through there every day for work for deliveries to a nearby heat-treating facility, I can attest to this truth.

Also, even the wild pack of chihuahuas is something you don't want to mess with. Broken glass on every street. Mean-mugging at all hours of the day.

Google map directories?

HariKari

We really liked Westwing Mountain Area, that is primarily where we have been looking. Is that a good area?

I lived near there (Norterra) for a few years. I'd consider that area "in the sticks" in terms of entertainment, dining, that sort of thing. It's part of the sprawl Phoenix is known for. You're still within driving distance of all the trappings of a major city, but for me it's a little far away from it all. But it's also quiet, nice, and affordable. USAA has a major corporate campus right there at Norterra if you're looking for jobs.

One last question, the youtube video comment section ( I know I shouldn't but I always do) makes it seem like the state is very conservative, is that true?

The state is conservative overall but the cities are very mixed.

Ryck

I lived near there (Norterra) for a few years. I'd consider that area "in the sticks" in terms of entertainment, dining, that sort of thing. It's part of the sprawl Phoenix is known for. You're still within driving distance of all the trappings of a major city, but for me it's a little far away from it all. But it's also quiet, nice, and affordable. USAA has a major corporate campus right there at Norterra if you're looking for jobs.

The state is conservative overall but the cities are very mixed.
How far a drive would you say?

Thanks for all the info.

Like most states, the urban centers are more liberal, rural areas more conservative. Overall the state leans conservative but in terms of a day-to-day kind of thing it's pretty mixed. I'd stay away from Gilbert, Queen Creek and Maricopa in the wider Phoenix-Metro area if you want to avoid that sort of thing. Tempe, South Scottsdale, and to an extent Mesa and Chandler if you more liberal areas. Can't comment on the West Valley because I'm basically never over there.

AntoneM

We really liked Westwing Mountain Area, that is primarily where we have been looking. Is that a good area?

Right now it all hinges on the sale of my business, I have run an Insurance Brokerage for the past 10 years. Now I have to looking into selling it, depending on how much I can get from the sale will determine when and what type of budget we will have. My wife is really excited about it even though we are still very much in the early planning stages of everything.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

It's a good area to be parents and raise kids, and that's cool because I have many friends that have moved to the outskirts and are very happy with the convenience that suburbia offers a family with children. But, if you want to be close to the where the best restaurants, art scenes, and nightlife, then no.

As for politics. AZ is much more red than CA, but is fairly purple-ish as far as the population goes. Republicans are over represented in the state government and the purple is more red than blue. But it's not the Great Plains or Utah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom