• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Wick: Chapter 2 |OT| I Know Gun Fu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
You working again John?

“Just sorting some things out,”

tumblr_nvpmhyITme1tslewgo1_500.gif

I am genuinely surprised its reviewing well. I dont expect movies like these (however much I love them) to have such a positive reaction. Its usually like a 70% rating or something.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I need to watch the first damn movie.

Guys, I want to watch it with my fiancee because I know she would love the movie itself but she can't watch a dog getting hurt.

Someone spoil the dog stuff in the first movie for me. Does it blatantly show the dog die? Do we see it happen again in flashbacks throughout the movie?

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?

Guys, I want to watch it with my fiancee because I know she would love the movie itself but she can't watch a dog getting hurt.

Someone spoil the dog stuff in the first movie for me. Does it blatantly show the dog die? Do we see it happen again in flashbacks throughout the movie?

You don't see it, it's just implied (hear a dog screech, John cuddles dog).

NIN90

Dog gets kicked offscreen but the death is heavily implied and you see it lifelessly lying around for a few seconds. Timestamp for it is 14:40. I don't remember any direct flashbacks, no.

Zakalwe

Banned
I am genuinely surprised its reviewing well. I dont expect movies like these (however much I love them) to have such a positive reaction. Its usually like a 70% rating or something.

I think it's because these films are just so good at what they do, and they don't try to make it anything more than it is: ridiculous, OTT action with a slight unreal edge to it (the secret society stuff).

JW was a massive surprise, and knowing the original creators were involved I think we were always set.

Regardless, really looking forward to this. I think I'll watch both back to back when I manage to score a copy/see it.

I'm genuinely over the moon about these reviews. With only one of the directors returning I definitely had some healthy skepticism despite my hype, but sounds line he knocked it out of the park and then some. Here's hoping the box office is great for this thing.

iron_man

Neo Member
Take a trip here to Finland to watch it. We got it.
As early as Friday it seems. I need to reserve a ticket i think.

Thanks! Got some finish relatives that I´ve never met that i can visit at the same time so why not! I think all Nordic countries will show it except Sweden... Cruel fate :(

ZeoVGM

Banned
I'm genuinely over the moon about these reviews. With only one of the directors returning I definitely had some healthy skepticism despite my hype, but sounds line he knocked it out of the park and then some. Here's hoping the box office is great for this thing.

I hope if this is a hit we start seeing Keanu in more movies again.

What I mean by this is that I want The Matrix 4. I don't care how Revelations ended. I want it and I will see it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Conspiracy theory: this entire franchise is actually set in the next cycle of the matrix. John Wick is really Neo - his body preserved in the machine city, his memories wiped, his mind jacked back in as the ultimate protector against the system's latest anomaly: the Russian mob. From afar sits Morpheus, now known as the Bowery King. He watches over Wick. Establishing a casual relationship. Waiting until the time comes to reveal the truth, which takes the form of that all-too familiar choice: two pills. One red. One blue.

I would laugh out loud in the theater if that was revealed and the Wachowski's okay'd that.

Chumley

Banned
Conspiracy theory: this entire franchise is actually set in the next cycle of the matrix. John Wick is really Neo - his body preserved in the machine city, his memories wiped, his mind jacked back in as the ultimate protector against the system's latest anomaly: the Russian mob. From afar sits Morpheus, now known as the Bowery King. He watches over Wick. Establishing a casual relationship. Waiting until the time comes to reveal the truth, which takes the form of that all-too familiar choice: two pills. One red. One blue.

If they wait till the third movie and pull that twist it might be the greatest twist in the history of cinema.

Lima

I'm seeing this with D-Box on Wednesday. Pretty cool that they support it because action movies are always better with it. These reviews make me hyped as fuck.

Rembrandt

Banned
Ugh, I could have went to an advance showing but it was too far to drive to. I'll have to catch it this weekend. I had high hopes for the sequel but I wasn't expecting a 91%

Sephzilla

The Matrix Rebooted would be the most on the nose soft reboot movie title ever and I'd love it

I'd be there day one for a fourth Matrix movie

You don't see it, it's just implied (hear a dog screech, John cuddles dog).

Then John gets to work.

I've convinced a few people that don't like the dog dying bit by saying "well it happens offscreen and is implied, but then you see John get really angry about it and that's when shit goes down."

Which is what
Usually, it's pacing. too much story, or the story was bad

Just because you made a great action movie, don't think you can go and make The Godfather?

At least that's what I took from The Raid 2. Some great action wrapped around a weak plot.
In what world are people comparing The Raid 2 to Godfather? Having a relatively basic crime thriller plot means the movie is trying to be Godfather?

banktree

Banned
Usually, it's pacing. too much story, or the story was bad

In what world are people comparing The Raid 2 to Godfather? Having a relatively basic crime thriller plot means the movie is trying to be Godfather?

I don't know about The Godfather, but everything in The Raid 2 that wasn't a fight scene was an exercise in tedium.

ugoo18

What's happening with John Wick 2 in Australia, I'm not seeing any release date for this anywhere and no cinema listings for this. Apparently it hasn't even been rated for Australia or something like that.

Don't deny me Baba yaga Australia, please. Terrible prices are one thing but John Wick 2 also :/

I don't know about The Godfather, but everything in The Raid 2 that wasn't a fight scene was an exercise in tedium.

Yeah, I would say it revels in its own style a bit too long on the non-action scenes. It's still a great action movie, but Raid 1 is more readily rewatchable as a whole. It's a tighter film. Raid 2 is a movie you want to rewatch but fast forward to get to the fights.

Bishop89

boogeyman3.gif

I love how Wick is already in final boss mode from the very beginning in the first movie. Everyone is straight up in "oh shit" mode the moment they realized the Wick beehive has been kicked
Kinda like dredd at the start of the Stallone movie
LOLOLOL

Also why did the title change?

boogeyman3.gif

I love how Wick is already in final boss mode from the very beginning in the first movie. Everyone is straight up in "oh shit" mode the moment they realized the Wick beehive has been kicked
Has any other action movie done that take on the genre that well? Usually there a few comments about how badass the hero is, but Wick took that too a whole new level and made it an integral aspect of the plot

Chumley

Banned
Kinda like dredd at the start of the Stallone movie
LOLOLOL

Also why did the title change?

A meeting was held, The Continental decided the title change was best for business

UYZK3mq.jpg

Has any other action movie done that take on the genre that well? Usually there a few comments about how badass the hero is, but Wick took that too a whole new level and made it an integral aspect of the plot

Can't think of anything where it's fundamental to the plot in the same way. The show Justified is kind of like that in how Raylan is widely known as a god tier lawman from the very first episode and that plays into every encounter he has with criminals. And then there's both of the Matrix sequels.

The Kree

Banned

The Bourne movies do it. They keep sending guys to kill him that are supposed to be at least as scary as he is.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick

Dredd 3D

Some fuck, its a judge! or fuck its Dredd! moments. Plus the way he carries himself throughout. Aint no chump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom