• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alamo Drafthouse hosting women-only Wonder Woman screenings June 6th

I mean regardless of your stance on this, it's not exactly hard to see how someone could be irked by this without being a MRA.

C'mon.

I actually cannot.

To clarify, I can see someone being irked by this while not being an MRA - because there are obviously lot of stupid immature men who are not explicitly MRAs. But I cannot see someone whining about this while also considering themselves a rational human being.

Alamo continues to slay the competition with stuff like this.

The thing I don't get is that there were man-babies complaining about this, yet they don't even have an Alamo Drafthouse nearby so what do they care? Pretty sure these were the same little boys whining about Furiosa in Mad Max.

Plus, isn't it just one or two showings? Who gives a shit?

gatling

We don't have one here, but a few girls and I are doing this on our own. I think its neat and in no way in the back of my mind am I thinking "yeah, take that men". Most of our male friends are so skeptical of the movie after BvS that they declined and want to wait for reviews. I guess I don't care as much.

100.gif

LOL

Just admit you guys feel entitled to spaces that aren't designed for you. Then you gaslight the _others_ by saying this isn't the way to true equality.

Fuck off, part of a diverse world and RESPECTING the diversity is realizing that not everything is for everybody.

You know attitudes would be totally 180 if women were the ones excluded. That's why speed of progress is shit, because double standards are used to ridicule the people pointing it out.

Don't need be a MRA to point out a double standard.

Opto

Banned
I mean regardless of your stance on this, it's not exactly hard to see how someone could be irked by this without being a MRA.

C'mon.

Do you mean understand like "I know men are going to piss themselves if women get anything exclusively, even if it's one theater for two screenings of one movie"

or

"it really is unfair that men can't go to one theater for two screenings of one movie"

Deepwater

You know attitudes would be totally 180 if women were the ones excluded. That's why speed of progress is shit, because double standards are used to ridicule the people pointing it out.

Because women are historically excluded from male dominant spaces. Outside of just a random ass tuesday movie showing, too.

Come on now, I know yall are not this dense.

Yes, if only we could keep those couple of Tuesday showings of Wonder Woman open to men in the Austin Texas area. That would mean real progress for gender equality.

zeemumu

I don't understand the "outrage" over this for a few reasons.

1. It's not like Alamo is not having any "general audience" screenings of the movie.
2. Alamo does cool stuff like this all the time. I don't see a problem with this one. In a way it's like walking into an LGBT bar and going "WHY AREN'T THE STRAIGHT PEOPLE INVITED?!"

They're angry because they're being denied entry, and no one likes being told that they can't do a thing. It's petty as hell and they're not thinking through why an event like this might exist but it's not that difficult to understand why they're angry.

I think straight people are allowed in LGBT bars. You can't exactly enforce a restriction like that.

Opto

Banned
Speaking of inequality, it's bullshit tampons and birth control pills aren't advertised for (cis)men. Women are constantly lording over how they have exclusive personal items while men have to make do with shoving paper towels up their ass.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

Yes, because women have already been historically excluded for millennia.

Don't need to be an MRA to be dense as fuck.

xandaca

I can't lie - there's a part of me that bristled when I saw this news. Exclusion of any kind is something that I don't think should be championed and I think it's absolutely possible to have an event that's pro a certain demographic without it being exclusionary to others. I'm black, but I also wouldn't want a black-only screening of Moonlight or Black Panther for example.

There's a big difference between exclusion as a social principle and exclusion for silly stuff like this. Nobody is harmed by not being allowed into one among many screenings of a widely distributed movie. There are degrees of course - having a 'whites only' screening, for instance, echoes much nastier historical precedent than a sex-specific night, even if on their own terms they're the same thing - but generally, as long as one group isn't being completely denied an experience (in other words, men can go to countless other screenings of this movie, at the same cinema or elsewhere) it doesn't matter in the slightest IMO.

Idiots are going to react idiotically to anything they see as validating their sense of victimhood - 'men only' anything would get a similarly petulant reaction from the other side - and while the Drafthouse could be seen as fanning the flames a bit by expanding the number of women-only screenings, it's in the mildest possible way and people who define themselves by getting enraged are going to enrage themselves regardless, so it doesn't make any difference whatsoever. This is completely harmless fun and the only lesson to be taken from this is that everyone needs to chill the hell out and get some semblance of perspective. These whingers have no interest in achieving anything, they just want to something to stomp their little feet about.

Ponn

Banned

C'mon.

Only if you were planning on going to Alamo to see Wonder Woman on Tuesday at 6:30 or 7. Otherwise this has absolutely no effect on you at all.

Hylian7

They're angry because they're being denied entry, and no one likes being told that they can't do a thing. It's petty as hell and they're not thinking through why an event like this might exist but it's not that difficult to understand why they're angry.

I think straight people are allowed in LGBT bars. You can't exactly enforce a restriction like that.

The LGBT bar example was a more loose comparison for sure, since they technically are allowed in, but it's not for them, if that makes sense.

Ridisc

Banned
Surprised there is not a counter controversy over who makes them the ombudsman of what a woman is?

Ill await it, it is inevitable.

phanphare

Banned
when Spider Man comes out they better have a showing exclusively for people who have been bitten by radioactive spiders! or else they're big fat hypocrites!

Surprised there is not a counter controversy over who makes them the ombudsman of what a woman is?

It's a night for anyone who identifies as a woman (it says so right in the event description), so I have no idea what you're talking about.

conpfreak

might as well complain about all-black universities or the million women march.

people are fucking stupid.

All-black universities are not the same thing as black-only universities. You do know pretty much all HBCUs have people of other races that attend as well? Also, men participate on the million women march.

Derwind

Double Standard?

The only people whose stopping a Male only event from occurring are those that don't have any good reason to do so that isn't about being spiteful to women. /shrug

Hold a Male only event whose funds will be donated to fund research and raise awareness to Prostate Cancer or something. I doubt many people will be crying foul over that.

DonShula

This would require men to show up in protest. I'd guess that most of the men making the noise are content to do it from the comfort of their own keyboards. They're not going to come out to provoke something like that.

This is a really cool idea for Wonder Woman. I'm pretty sure the Alamo by me (Yonkers) have done all female screenings before with like a "slumber party" series. Also, lol at all these people about "male only screenings". The place is usually a huge sausage fest when I've been there for action and horror movie marathons.

This is a really cool idea for Wonder Woman. I'm pretty sure the Alamo by me (Yonkers) have done all female screenings before with like a "slumber party" series. Also, lol at all these people about "male only screenings". The place is usually a huge sausage fest when I've been there for action and horror movie marathons.

All Wonder Women fans Matter.

Yes, if only we could keep those couple of Tuesday showings of Wonder Woman open to men in the Austin Texas area. That would mean real progress for gender equality.

How facetious. So you think creating an inequality when before there wasn't one is progress? Sometimes it not about fixing an inequality but preventing one.

Yes, because women have already been historically excluded for millennia.
Oh yes, this finally challenges that male only cinema problem the world has been suffering lately.

Deepwater

How facetious. So you think creating an inequality when before there wasn't one is progress? Sometimes it not about fixing an inequality but preventing one.

Oh yes, this finally challenges that male only cinema problem the world has been suffering lately.

What inequality is this creating???

How are men losing out on this? Please, explain it to me. What benefits are men losing by this.

LionPride

Banned

I wonder why attitudes would be different

I

Wonder

Litan

C'mon, man...

SeanC

It's the most empowered female superhero in history, the first woman superhero movie, and I think it's cool there's a women/girls only screening celebrating it.

Not sure why people have issues. I say it took fucking long enough and this is great.

Top Bottom