• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: Trump family members met with GOP leaders to discuss strategy

Tovarisc

Amid mounting questions at the White House about Russia, three prominent members of President Trump’s family — his sons Eric Trump and Donald Trump Jr., and Eric’s wife, Lara — have ramped up their engagement with the Republican Party’s national political operation, having met privately with GOP leaders to share their concerns and outlook.

Their most recent effort came Thursday, when the president’s eldest sons and Lara Trump visited the Republican National Committee’s headquarters in Washington. Those three family members, who were invited by the RNC, stayed for about two hours, according to four people who were not authorized to speak publicly.

Their appearance at the RNC irked at least two prominent Republicans who were briefed on the session, who wondered whether it was appropriate for the president’s sons, who run the Trump family real estate business, to be highly involved in discussing the party’s strategy and resources.

But two other people familiar with the meeting said it was appropriate for the president’s sons and daughter-in-law, who all volunteered for Trump’s campaign, to huddle with Republican leaders and offer their perspective on what would be most helpful to President Trump ahead of the 2018 midterm elections and the 2020 presidential race.

Two people familiar with the meeting insisted that the Trump family did not pressure the RNC to follow their suggestions or to let them control aspects of the party. A third person said the family members made clear that they were frustrated with the way, in their view, the president has been drawn into various controversies and want the Republican Party to do what it can to help reignite his political base.

Donald Trump Jr., in particular, has been an active presence in the party over the past year and has strong relationships with many Republican officials. He regularly delivers speeches to GOP groups, including one in Indiana this month.

Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ers-met-with-gop-leaders-to-discuss-strategy/

Donald's sons who are running his private business meeting with GOP to form strategy and looking for ways to make EasyD look better. Aren't they supposed to be disconnected from politics of their father and GOP to avoid appearances of conflicts etc.?

Well I for one don't mind. The trumps ran there businesses into the ground maybe they will do the same for the GOP, well, more into the ground.

Mivey

Well, gotta lay that foundation for the Trump family influence in US politics for the coming decades.

ICO_SotC

the president has been drawn into various controversies and want the Republican Party to do what it can to help reignite his political base.

It's never his fault, is it? And it's always up to someone else to fix it.

Party of "personal responsibility" in action.

nomster

That's rather optimistic.
Seriously, I mean even if he gets there I can't believe he'd want to stay on. If he walks away he can go back to fun life, say he never lost, and do a handful of rallies for populist candidates while trashing the media.

On the other hand, this guy's ego knows no bounds.

Pizza

I hope when the democrats are in control they do shit this aggressively and stupidly. "Oops everyone has free healthcare and college and here's a new social infustructure and a way to deal with people working 40hour work weeks and living in poverty! Sorry!"

I'm beyond frustrated with this moron family

chekhonte

Seriously, I mean even if he gets there I can't believe he'd want to stay on. If he walks away he can go back to fun life, say he never lost, and do a handful of rallies for populist candidates while trashing the media.

On the other hand, this guy's ego knows no bounds.

I need to replay Rygar. It's been probably 10 years.

I bet nothing gets a crusty career politician on your side like an unpopular president under several investigations slimy sheltered rich kids coming to their house and deman loyalty. I'm sure they all walked out of there like "sure we'll get right on that junior".

With every Trump story ask yourself "What if this was Hillary instead of Trump?" The outrage would be immense.

I honestly wish reporters would ask this when the GOP or Republicans do their "there's nothing to see here, lets let this play out before we assuming anything, lots of people do this, etc." Like Hugh Hewitt on MSNBC pretty much saying all of what I just said and instead saying we should focus on how amazingly successful 45's visit overseas was. I wish reporters would go "ok pretend for a second that instead of a Republican in office, it was a democrat? Let's say Hillary was in office now and all of this was coming out about her campaign staff, what would you say?"

Verelios

I wish the Democratic party goes full monarchy if they ever get house majority and just goes 'FUCK YOU, I GOT MINE'

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I honestly wish reporters would ask this when the GOP or Republicans do their "there's nothing to see here, lets let this play out before we assuming anything, lots of people do this, etc." Like Hugh Hewitt on MSNBC pretty much saying all of what I just said and instead saying we should focus on how amazingly successful 45's visit overseas was. I wish reporters would go "ok pretend for a second that instead of a Republican in office, it was a democrat? Let's say Hillary was in office now and all of this was coming out about her campaign staff, what would you say?"

Some have asked and the Trump supporters just deflect.

Slayven

the president has been drawn into various controversies and want the Republican Party to do what it can to help reignite his political base.

How about a health care plan that isn't designed to kill them?

Afrikan

Is it? A third of the US still has trouble accepting the fact that their president is a total moron.

You would think that would classify them lower than a "total moron".
dunno.gif

androvsky

It'd be a waste of a question. It's purely a hypothetical since Hillary isn't going to be in office or do the same things, they can simply say they'd be equally nonchalant and never be proven wrong. The question works better for introspection among those willing to put in the effort.

Top Bottom