• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In 2017, Peter Parker isn't really an underdog anymore

Shaanyboi

Banned
Man, I can imagine some people in this thread watching Spectacular Spider-Man and losing their minds that he doesn't come off as some borderline soon-to-be school shooter, but instead as some socially well-adjusted dude with a lot on his plate.

VeeP

The....the scene where he could literally go see his crush in a bikini but decides to go try and find Vulture? Where he legit considered tryin to be around Liz instead of being Spider-Man?

The same Peter who in this universe doesn't play sports because he didn't when he didn't have powers and won't now because it's not right?

The same Peter who lives in an apartment in Queens with his Aunt and only his Aunt post his uncle being killed and has to go dumpster diving for his shit ain't broke? Okay

People need to stop citing that scene as some sort of purity test. Dude talked about "earning things himself" when he was a freshman living in a huge ass Manhattan apartment where Harry's dad paid 99% of the rent. Fuck out of here.

I was being sarcastic :(, should've added a /s to the end of my post.

We live in far greater abundance than we did when Spider-Man was created. If you're intelligent and healthy you're pretty much set. Being raised by a single mother (aunt) is also far more common now and doesn't carry a social stigma.

Also, when we meet up with Peter in Homecoming things are finally going his way. We skipped the years when he cried himself to sleep knowing that he had no parents or when Uncle Ben died. It's a different take because we meet him at a different point in his life.
Lol. What's this?

These threads are giving me deja Vu from when Batman Begins came out and then later when Dark Knight blew up. You had a whole lotta people who couldn't just come out and admit that they liked the Burton movies better, they had dress their opinions up with statements about how the new movies are a betrayal of the character and how the old movies were more​ accurate to the comics despite that not really being true.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
These threads are giving me deja Vu from when Batman Begins came out and then later when Dark Knight blew up. You had a whole lotta people who couldn't just come out and admit that they liked the Burton movies better, they had dress their opinions up with statements about how the new movies are a betrayal of the character and how the old movies were more​ accurate to the comics despite that not really being true.
The only true Batman is Snyder's Batman who fucking murders people like he destroys ab workouts.

LotusHD

Banned
Man, I can imagine some people in this thread watching Spectacular Spider-Man and losing their minds that he doesn't come off as some borderline soon-to-be school shooter, but instead as some socially well-adjusted dude with a lot on his plate.

I feel that Holland's Peter strikes a good balance between the two, though Andrew's Peter wasn't in the extreme other direction mind you.

Magwik

Banned
Why do so many people want Peter to be a huge loser in school?

Like you wanna know what makes Pete a loser at first? The fucker absolutely cannot help his Aunt pay the bills while in HS or college all he while he's doing something that could 100% make him a loser. Socially, he's intelligent, has had women damn near falling over for his ass at times because being a cute nerd just works, gets bullied by a big motherfucker/someone who is just a dick while in high school, and....no that's about it.

Also, yeah Peter used to be a dick who just wanted to be alone and would be a dick about it

The bruh was only really an underdog in HS and early college I believe

AND ONE OF HIS BEST FRIENDS WAS THE SON OF THE OWNER OF A MULTI-MILLION DOLLAR CORPORATION FOR CHRIST'S SAKE
People want Peter to go back to being the loser because that's what resonated with them when first discovering the comics.
A social outcast speaks to the types of people who were usually into the medium back then and even now to a degree. Saying "hey you're an outcast and could be just like Spider-Man' meant a whole fucking lot to people too.
Removing the tragedy of losing Uncle Ben is also a mistake, because losing someone that close to you helps relate. Peter is the everyday man we all wanted to be growing up. He was someone you could see yourself as.

Peter Parker's issues in the comics, outside of Flash, are mostly from his consistent and constant failure to balance his life as Spider-Man with his life as Peter Parker. Spider-Man could solve Peter's problems, but to do so would negate the lesson he learned at Uncle Ben's death. So, Spider-Man is a selfless hero, but that same selflessness causes his life as Parker to suffer.

That's it. That's the core of Spider-Man.

Let's look at early Spider-Man (IMAGE HEAVY, click the images to enlarge), and thus early Peter Parker.

Amazing #1: Back to Peter is his day-to-day. Bullying? Nah, he opts out on his own. Why? So he can make some money as Spider-Man. (Yep, he doesn't give that up immediately after Ben dies.) In fact, if you look at all the early Amazing issues, Parker is a part of the Flash clique, except he has to dip constantly and Flash always gives him a hard time.

In two issues, Parker has a job at the Bugle as Spider-Man photographer - remember he's in high school - and as the top scientist in his class, professors are always asking him to join them. And what? He gives Flash as much as he gets? Shock!

What about that blonde girl? Liz Allen! Oh wait! Let's jump to Amazing #4. He has a date with her. He blows it because of Spider-Man stuff, but again, he has a date with Liz Allen! Even at the end when Flash is throwing shade, Liz tells him to stop.

Amazing #7: Here's Peter taking a break from highschool and Spider-Man problems to mack on Betty Brant, the Daily Bugle's secretary.

In ASM (the film), people got in on the scene where Peter with power publicly takes on Flash, except, you know that happened in the comics. Again, this is issue #8, where Peter is openly fighting with and making fun of, Flash Thompson.

Flash even starts to soften (Issue #9), but alas Peter's too busy thinking about other stuff and he gives him the cold shoulder. Same issue, Pete's already A) hot, because Flash crushed his glasses and B) in a relationship with Betty.

Liz and Flash comes visit his aunt in the goddamn hospital!

Issue #12: Liz steps up again to make a play. Peter shoots her down, because he's dating Betty.

This is 12 issues in, if you don't count Amazing Fantasy. By #15 he has two women fighting over him almost full time (Liz and Betty hate each other). That's how long Peter Parker was a sad sack in the way that some see him. It's a flanderization, pure and simple. People have this conception of Spider-Man that simply doesn't match up to anything and Raimi's films were a part of that.

I know Peter Liz started liking Peter after he went with Betty but this post hardly refutes that the character has carried guilt over the death of Ben, Gwen & her father, his worry over his Aunt or money issues. From reading this, you'd think the only think I wrote in the OP is that Peter doesn't get beat up enough.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
People want Peter to go back to being the loser because that's what resonated with them when first discovering the comics.
A social outcast speaks to the types of people who were usually into the medium back then and even now to a degree. Saying "hey you're an outcast and could be just like Spider-Man' meant a whole fucking lot to people too.
Removing the tragedy of losing Uncle Ben is also a mistake, because losing someone that close to you helps relate. Peter is the everyday man we all wanted to be growing up. He was someone you could see yourself as.
But they didn't remove Uncle Ben. People just know that Parker lost his uncle and they didn't want to rehash it all again for the third time in 15 years.

LionPride

Banned
I know Peter Liz started liking Peter after he went with Betty but this post hardly refutes that the character has carried guilt over the death of Ben, Gwen & her father, his worry over his Aunt or money issues. From reading this, you'd think the only think I wrote in the OP is that Peter doesn't get beat up enough.
Well seeing as most of your posts in here have been about either A) Him not being bullied enough B) About him being able to be a well-adjusted human, which you don't find realistic or C) About a whole buncha nothin

You may as well have only talked about how you perceive the bullying

For more milestones:

By #25, he spends half his time deflecting Liz and Betty. He graduates highschool by #28. #30, Gwen Stacy wants him purely because he doesn't play attention to her at all. By #34, his college crew hates him because he's been outright snubbing all of them. Five issues later, that comes tumbling down. By #39, he's drawn by John Romita and is damned smokin'.

rUbY283.jpg

You seemed to focus on his bullying. The core of these early issues is the inability to balance Peter Parker's life with the more responsible Spider-Man's life. Which is something Homecoming covers, again and again. He's Spider-Man because of Ben's death. He doesn't tell Aunt May about his double life, because of his worry. And Gwen simply doesn't exist.

But again, the point is the social outcast part is A) far overstated and B) frequently in early Spider-Man, a direct result of Peter's actions, not people hating him just to hate him. If anything, most of the group tends go out of their way to include Peter. If you had a friend like him, you'd probably hate him.

Shaanyboi

Banned

What is Peter an outcast for? Being smart?

And they never removed the death of Uncle Ben. They just don't talk about it, because how often do you bring up the death of loved ones in conversation?

"Hey we're having a good Thai dinner. It's really delicious. It's a real shame your uncle was tragically shot."

LionPride

Banned
Peter Parker was a dick so next time I see someone saying they resonated more with an asshole fuckboy from early comic runs in the 60s I'll keep that in the back of my head

Ah, you guys think this is a Raimi vs MCU thread, it's not. I just gave the director props for his depiction of early Peter Parker.

This thread is about Peter Parker, as a nerd in 2017, no longer reading as any kind of underdog considering social political factors.

LionPride

Banned
Ah, you guys think this is a Raimi vs MCU thread, it's not. I just gave the director props for his depiction of early Peter Parker.

This thread is about Peter Parker, as a nerd in 2017, no longer reading as any kind of underdog considering social political factors.
I don't think you ever truly answered why he should be an underdog in media depictions

So I guess everyone who discovered the comics started at issue #1 if being an outcast is what they relate to because that shit sure didn't last long.

Nah, people relate to Spidey because he's the every man, not because he's some loser dweeb with glasses. He's got school/jobs and relationships to worry about, and has to find a balance between his personal life and being Spidey. That's what people found compelling.

Kin5290

But remember that one scene? In Spiderman? Where Norman was like lemme make a few calls and then Peter was like No Sir, I like to work my way up? Remember that? Why can't Peter in Homecoming do that? Why can't Peter in Homecoming not enjoy being Spiderman? Why can't he have girls throw themselves at him but he's like naw, I gotta be Spiderman who I hate being? Why can't Peter in Homecoming be broke as hell?

Peter Parker is a lot of things. Raimi did a good job, but that's just one side of Peter.
Isn't this literally the catharsis of his emotional arc in Homecoming?

DeathyBoy

Banned
But remember that one scene? In Spiderman? Where Norman was like lemme make a few calls and then Peter was like No Sir, I like to work my way up? Remember that? Why can't Peter in Homecoming do that? Why can't Peter in Homecoming not enjoy being Spiderman? Why can't he have girls throw themselves at him but he's like naw, I gotta be Spiderman who I hate being? Why can't Peter in Homecoming be broke as hell?

Peter Parker is a lot of things. Raimi did a good job, but that's just one side of Peter.

What are you talking about?

They stole that Spider-Man no more thing from the comics.

LionPride

Banned
So I guess everyone who discovered the comics started at issue #1 if being an outcast is what they relate to because that shit sure didn't last long.

Nah, people relate to Spidey because he's the every man, not because he's some loser dweeb with glasses. He's got school/jobs and relationships to worry about, and has to find a balance between his personal life and being Spidey. That's what people found compelling.
Won't he will he!

You wanna know the only place I've seen the sentiment of relating to Peter because he's a fucking loser outcast come from? Here. The perception is weird.

Shaanyboi

Banned
But guys, you just don't get it. The same dude who manages to hook up with Gwen Stacy and Mary Jane is supposed to be some socially stunted weirdo.

LionPride

Banned
I like that the same dude who manages to hook up with Gwen Stacy and Mary Jane is supposed to be some socially stunted weirdo.
The same man who in a not long time span goes from having Liz want him, to Brant, to Gwen, to MJ, with a few in between, and Black Cat as Spider-Man

But he ain't supposed to be an actual adjusted human?

Won't he will he!

You wanna know the only place I've seen the sentiment of relating to Peter because he's a fucking loser outcast come from? Here. The perception is weird.
Makes you think
jbhmmm.png

I like that the same dude who manages to hook up with Gwen Stacy and Mary Jane is supposed to be some socially stunted weirdo.
And these two women were fawning over Peter like you wouldn't believe!
(It's from Spider-Man: Blue but I don't care. Dude's a babe magnet either way)

For more milestones:

By #25, he spends half his time deflecting Liz and Betty. He graduates highschool by #28. #30, Gwen Stacy wants him purely because he doesn't play attention to her at all. By #34, his college crew hates him because he's been outright snubbing all of them. Five issues later, that comes tumbling down. By #39, he's drawn by John Romita and is damned smokin'.

rUbY283.jpg

Romita drawing Spidey as a classically buff hero was a major disservice to the character. If Tom Holland was built like linebacker, this is one of the things I would have a major problem with.

Well seeing as most of your posts in here have been about either A) Him not being bullied enough B) About him being able to be a well-adjusted human, which you don't find realistic or C) About a whole buncha nothin

You may as well have only talked about how you perceive the bullying

He didn't display much if any emotional trauma from being an orphan or being raised by a single guardian or even show much guilt for his past mistakes like his own selfishness leading to the death of his other guardian. None of that was touched on.
Peter wasn't poor or consciously money strapped in Homecoming. Even had a best friend to confide his secrets in, something Peter Parker has never had in any other medium

don't pretend I didn't make these points in my OP because you don't like them or you don't like people critiquing the new movie. You can be a jerk off in another post

Slayven

Peter Parker is also a grown ass man in 2017

And these two women were fawning over Peter like you wouldn't believe!

(It's from Spider-Man: Blue but I don't care. Dude's a babe magnet either way)

Liz and Betty too.

Romita drawing Spidey as a classically buff hero was a major disservice to the character. If Tom Holland was built like linebacker, this is one of the things I would have a major problem with.

Ditko seemed disinterested in the lanky, creepier Spider-Man around issue 17. I'll never know if that was his choice of Lee capitalizing on Spider-Man becoming more popular.

LionPride

Banned
He didn't display much if any emotional trauma from being an orphan or being raised by a single guardian or even show much guilt for his past mistakes like his own selfishness leading to the death of his other guardian. None of that was touched on.
Peter wasn't poor or consciously money strapped in Homecoming. Even had a best friend to confide his secrets in, something Peter Parker has never had in any other medium

don't pretend I didn't make these points in my OP because you don't like them or you don't like people critiquing the new movie. You can be a jerk off in another post
Well adjusted people don't display trauma 24/7. At all. I live in a single parent home, I got used to it pretty fucking quickly.

In CW, his guilt about the death of Uncle Ben was touched upon. When May was worried post deli explosion, same thing.

He'a 15. What the fuck does a 15 year old really have to do outside of school or school related things they're gonna spend their money on besides dates or some shit? He lives in an apartment in Queens with his single Aunt while dumpster diving for scraps to build shit. Just becausd he's poor doesn't mean he has to be fucking Tiny Tim. Poor people can dress nicely and eat food and use public transport.

Make valid critiques beyond bullshit and maybe this topic would be something beyond everyone saying you're bad and you should feel bad

Shaanyboi

Banned
PETER MUST BE THAT CREEPY PHOTOGRAPHER GUY FROM '13 REASONS WHY'

BECAUSE THIS IS WHAT THE AUDIENCE WANTS TO PROJECT THEMSELVES ONTO

tyler-down-13-reasons.jpg

Davide

As much as I still like the Raimi movies Peter is painful to watch in the first one. This was both the Peter Parker and Spider-Man I'd been waiting to see on screen for years.

VeeP

Glass Rebel

The criticism for Holland's Peter rings as hollow as some for Maguire's. As good as the first two are, the worst thing Raimi's movies did for the character is sell this image of an awkward character who is ridden by guilt. If you want a Spider-Man who's centered around Uncle Ben's death, Raimi gave you three of that. It was one of its strengths but also a weakness. I never got the impression that Tobey-Man wanted to actually be a superhero; Ben's death wasn't only the impetus to don the costume, it was the driving force. Holland on the other hand actually wants to be Spider-Man.

aly

But they didn't remove Uncle Ben. People just know that Parker lost his uncle and they didn't want to rehash it all again for the third time in 15 years.

There is no pleasing some people. A friend of my said that the lack of Uncle Ben almost ruined the movie. I have no idea why some people want to get beaten over the head again and again over Uncle Ben/ The Waynes are dead! Isn't this sad!!!

Slayven

Well adjusted people don't display trauma 24/7. At all. I live in a single parent home, I got used to it pretty fucking quickly.

In CW, his guilt about the death of Uncle Ben was touched upon. When May was worried post deli explosion, same thing.

He'a 15. What the fuck does a 15 year old really have to do outside of school or school related things they're gonna spend their money on besides dates or some shit? He lives in an apartment in Queens with his single Aunt while dumpster diving for scraps to build shit. Just becausd he's poor doesn't mean he has to be fucking Tiny Tim. Poor people can dress nicely and eat food and use public transport.

Make valid critiques beyond bullshit and maybe this topic would be something beyond everyone saying you're bad and you should feel bad
Tiny Tim, lolol, i need to go to bed

Raimi' s biggest misfire is his Spiderman was never funny. Where was the jokes?

The closest thing to a joke I heard from Spidey's mouth in 3 Raimi movies was in #2 during the bank scene.

Ock: "You're getting on my nerves."
Spidey: "I have a knack for that."

The video games had him joking more, apparently.

Spider-Man: "Shocker, you look good! Have you been re-upholstered?"

For more milestones:

rUbY283.jpg

You seemed to focus on his bullying. The core of these early issues is the inability to balance Peter Parker's life with the more responsible Spider-Man's life. Which is something Homecoming covers, again and again. He's Spider-Man because of Ben's death. He doesn't tell Aunt May about his double life, because of his worry. And Gwen simply doesn't exist.

But again, the point is the social outcast part is A) far overstated and B) frequently in early Spider-Man, a direct result of Peter's actions, not people hating him just to hate him. If anything, most of the group tends go out of their way to include Peter. If you had a friend like him, you'd probably hate him.

When did I ever write or imply that people hated Peter just to hate him? I said he wasn't a social outcast. Guess what, constantly flaking on your friends is something that would make someone a social outcast. That's shown in the panels you posted & referenced, but not the film.

Top Bottom