• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda game set in Link to the Past world coming to the 3DS, holiday 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Portugeezer

Direct feed screenshots not so bad, the trees actually have some textures to them.

ibvPIfMTijpy0j.bmp

diagarrowlpaid.gif

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Is it gonna be the same map? All of it?
Maybe they'll do a LoZ -> Zelda II and the original map is just a section of the new map.

The original relied on the Dark World mechanic to double its map size, so I guess it depends on whether they bring that back. Otherwise the original map is too small for a whole game unless they decide to pack it with more content which is why they only focused on a small (slightly unimportant) section. Like seriously, they knew you'd usually just dash past that bit every time to they hid a shop there.

Vardhan

Extremely excited for this game. I don't have a 3DS yet, but I'll surely be getting one for this game and Pokemon X/Y.

I just hope the title isn't Link to the Past 2. Can't imagine a Zelda title with numbered sequels. :p

serplux

It looks far better in 2D than 3D based on the eShop video. What you're missing is dumb gimmick stuff stuff like Link flying "out" of the screen when he does those jumps, and the skeleton bones flying "out" of the screen when deflected before falling back down, etc. Pointless distractions which look fine in 2D anyway.

I wouldn't necessarily say that, but I agree, there is a lot of stuff flying out at the screen. It'll be perfectly fine to play in 2D, but it does seem like Nintendo's trying to show off the 3D capabilities with the multilayered stuff.

duckroll

I wouldn't necessarily say that, but I agree, there is a lot of stuff flying out at the screen. It'll be perfectly fine to play in 2D, but it does seem like Nintendo's trying to show off the 3D capabilities with the multilayered stuff.

You wouldn't. I would. :)

Maedhros

I do miss hand drawn art but I understand why they don't go 2D anymore.

It's easier, quicker, cheaper, cleaner and animates more smoothly.

Still not the same thing though I agree, but that's business for you.

I understand the reasons too.

Doesn't really care. I always be complaining if they change the artstyle and it doesn't really fits my tastes.

Hopefully, the gameplay will make for it. I can ignore the graphics if the game is great.

Looks really ugly and the animations look shitty. Sorta reminds me of those ugly prerendered 3d images you would see in the 90s - the cover of super Mario RPG or the character portraits in Mario Kart 64. Or Clayfighter 64. Still, the wall painting feature looks pretty interesting. I don't understand why the game looks so ugly, though.

VXLbeast

*Keeps looking at the same blurry pictures and complaining*
*Ignores newer direct feed pictures which aren't blurry and show the colors correctly*

I'm not sure what to say...

Settle down friendo. I've seen them like most everyone else on this thread has. My complaint was never the blurriness. You'll see that if you read my post. The art direction is...I dunno, it looks almost like a mix of that weird pokemon toy game (rumble?) and animal crossings, if that makes any sort of sense.

guek

Banned
But I don't think there is endless negativity. This game is divisive - a handheld sequel/remake to LTTP was always going to be - but to me it seems there's no shortage of people sticking up for the game. You say you don't want an echo chamber, but you appear to want exactly that: more people echoing your excitement and positivity for the game in this thread.

No, I am not asking for nothing but positivity, just a reasonable discussion without so much hyperbole. I should have known better though than to air my grievances with online discussions in general. So much of online discussion is about people trying to convince other people of their own opinion, just like you're trying to convince me that I want an echo chamber or that I'm just blind from nintendo-love when neither are true. But hey, look, here I am trying to convince you otherwise.

It doesn't really matter though if I dislike a discussion in a particular thread on a gaming message board. *shrugs*

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm glad they are not abandoning the top down view. We can get a third person angle Zelda on the Wii U.

Thorakai

The one thing that really bothers me is the brown cliffs in the overworld. It just looks completely flat, even in the eShop trailer.

watershed

Banned
Great surprise, I love the look of it. Its got an odd cg thing going on.

Edit: Some really nice use of shaders in the downloadable video.

Shinypogs

It looks far better in 2D than 3D based on the eShop video. What you're missing is dumb gimmick stuff stuff like Link flying "out" of the screen when he does those jumps, and the skeleton bones flying "out" of the screen when deflected before falling back down, etc. Pointless distractions which look fine in 2D anyway.

Ahh okay, good to know ^-^

Neiteio

I'm going to enjoy playing in 2D so much.
Ha, you're missing half of the game then, imo. Not sure why you'd do that to yourself, but hopefully you'll still enjoy the game.

Just saw the trailer and it's like looking into a toy chest full of action figures. The way Link flies toward the screen, the depth of the pits, the height of the walls, the crows flying above the screen, the bones popping out of the screen, the superior solid look of everything in 3D -- SO GOOD. I feel bad for those who can't manage to relax enough to hold a screen steady. I can move around and I've never had a problem maintaining the effect. I must be talented that way!

Anyways, this is for sure not stylus-driven, right? We're playing this with good ol'-fashioned d-pad and buttons... Right?

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
The art style strangely reminded me of... New Super Mario Bros.

Exactly what I was thinking. Same with the new Mario and Luigi too. And considering NSMB's main complaint is it's aesthetic, I can't really imagine what Ninty were thinking.
Will still get it though, but would've much preferred MM.

GCNemesis

From what I hear, and by that I mean, Reggie in the announcement trailer stating 'our developer's...' more than once, this seems like it's developed externally. Perhaps Grezzo? Or are they the ones working on Wind Waker HD?

Makes sense business-wise to shop it to an external team to allow the Zelda team to focus on pumping out the WiiU Zelda as soon as possible. (Side question: is there two teams internally at Nintendo that develops Zelda titles?)

Grass, trees, Chus, Link, all green. It's because of the Year of Luigi. :p

Wait until we see the rest of the game, not just one dungeon and the overworld. I'm sure Nintendo has some crazy tricks up their sleeve with this game.

come on son

Gaf has constantly refered to them as the worst Zelda games since the CDi ones.

Are we seeing a u-turn in opinions suddenly because a new one is out? :/

I have no idea who this "Gaf" user is or why his opinions matter so much, but I've always thought PH was bad (for design reasons, not because it's top down or touch controls) and that ST was great.

Portugeezer

Gaf has constantly refered to them as the worst Zelda games since the CDi ones.

Are we seeing a u-turn in opinions suddenly because a new one is out? :/

There's your problem.

I always liked the DS games (well, Phantom Hourglass, not so much Spirit Tracks), so have other people.

Neiteio

Everything looks so SOLID in 3D. And you can easily distinguish between the layers of platforms (something you can tell they're trying to make a bit difficult to discern in 2D). :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom