• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake shifts to internal dev under Mobius project leader

duckroll

CyberConnect2 is great at flashy graphics and QTEs, not so much at anything else these days. It could be that originally Nomura intended on letting CC2 handle most of the day to day design decisions based on his notes, like how he makes all the KH games these days, but CC2 isn't delivering on what he expects.

Naoki Hamaguchi's involvement was already highlighted in the recruitment notice, where he talked about how he would be the development manager overseeing the management of the internal development staff. Mobius also didn't have a standard "director" role as far as they've made public, and his role was also 'Project Lead", a more management-centric role than a creative lead one. He was previously a lead programmer on all 3 FFXIII titles.

Pooya

Seriously? I assumed literally any external development would be better than Square-Enix's inefficient internal pipeline.

They just think too highly of their internal development. This project is guaranteed to choke too if FF15 is the best they can do internally with current gen.

Bebpo

Banned
Tetsuya Nomura. Do you even doubt what you said when you hear his name?

What's weird is there are a ton of games he's headed that have had smooth development and turned out great. It's just Versus, and maybe KH3, and maybe FFVIIr...yeah he's had a bad decade :(

It's literally been two years since it was announced.

Good fucking lord.

I made this thread based on information that was parodying an old FFXXIII Versus interview with Nomura, but it turned out to be completely true regardless LOL.

What is this shitshow. Shitcan Nomura. Good for nothing motherfucker.

How is this Nomura's fault? Sounds like CC2 couldn't produce good results so they're making the game internally now.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Good fucking lord.

I made this thread based on information that was parodying an old FFXXIII Versus interview with Nomura, but it turned out to be completely true regardless LOL.

I'm not under the impression that Nomura actually does "Game Direction" in the most literal sense anymore.

Everything he's on lately has co-directors who seem to handle all the day to day parts of actually running a project.

Well, I guess this game didn't, at least within Square Enix, but they do now.

Of course, Nomura can still steer it off a cliff by demanding things that are hard to do or continually changing his mind about what should be in the game...

They just think too highly of their internal development. This project is guaranteed to choke too if FF15 is the best they can do internally with current gen.

It's almost always Square's pride at this point that gets the better of them with some stuff.

Also in this case this doesn't sound to be the fault of Nomura.

cordy

Banned
I might be misunderstanding things but...why are people saying that this is going to further delay the game? If anything, I think this might speed things up.

kenta

Has no PEINS
I don't know how to view this positively... CC2 ships games regularly, and they are well received. Taking this away from them, coupled with SE's recent track record, does not inspire confidence

Bebpo

Banned
CyberConnect2 is great at flashy graphics and QTEs, not so much at anything else these days. It could be that originally Nomura intended on letting CC2 handle most of the day to day design decisions based on his notes, like how he makes all the KH games these days, but CC2 isn't delivering on what he expects.

Naoki Hamaguchi's involvement was already highlighted in the recruitment notice, where he talked about how he would be the development manager overseeing the management of the internal development staff. Mobius also didn't have a standard "director" role as far as they've made public, and his role was also 'Project Lead", a more management-centric role than a creative lead one. He was previously a lead programmer on all 3 FFXIII titles.

CC2 games have shallow gameplay but technically they're very solid and presentation-wise they're up with the best of them. But that's why Nomura was supposed to be designing the gameplay...

duckroll

How is this Nomura's fault? Sounds like CC2 couldn't produce good results so they're making the game internally now.

Well there are only so many excuses you can make before it starts reflecting poorly on the person rather than circumstances.

- It's only because FFXIII was taking up all the resources! (Versus)
- It's only because Luminous Studio was too crap! (KH3)
- It's only because CC2 failed to deliver! (FFVIIr)

Or maybe it's because he took on projects which were larger in scope than he could manage and lost the plot. Who knows.

MartyStu

I might be misunderstanding things but...why are people saying that this is going to further delay the game? If anything, I think this might speed things up.

Because you can't take a project and COMPLETELY change its staff and expect it to continue humming along.

There is a long learning period.

And that is before we get into the course corrections needed.

And knowing SE, they may decide to start from scratch. Or something close to it.

wtd2009

welp, here we go. gonna stop getting hyped and just enjoy the surprises as they come. thought it'd be different this time around, but based on what little info we've been given up to now and how vague they are whenever they talk about it, I'm just going to assume it's slogging along.

sucks it took two years to figure this one out.

wmlk

What kind of development workflow do they have to make this call two years after active development? That's what's crazy to me right now.

A more technical director would understand the staff they're exporting the development to. A guy like Tabata is more hands-on in that regard. It's really apparent when you look at how differently Tabata and Nomura talk about the games they end up directing.

jett

D-Member

Yeah you just go ahead and keep shifting all blame from this dude's more than clearly incompetent managerial skills.

Frankly I'm going to give Nomura exactly no benefit of the doubt whatsoever at this point. Zero. I'm just going to assume CC2 is getting the short end of the stick here.

I'm not under the impression that Nomura actually does "Game Direction" in the most literal sense anymore.

Wverything he's on lately has co-directors who seem to handle all the day to day parts of actually running a project.

Well, I guess this game didn't, at least within Square Enix, but they do now.

Of course, Nomura can still steer it off a cliff by demanding things that are hard to do or continually changing his mind about what should be in the game...

What's even the point of Nomura?

lucille-portable.gif

Enjoy the hype, folks.

Bebpo

Banned
Is this necessarily bad news aside from the game potentially being delayed?

Well, I wanted Asura's Wrath FFVII and so it's a little disappointing because it sounds like it won't have any of that CC2 flair (imagine the summons!) anymore.

iavi

I don't know how to view this positively... CC2 ships games regularly, and they are well received. Taking this away from them, coupled with SE's recent track record, does not inspire confidence

Yeah this doesn't inspire any confidence whatsoever. SE is a clusterfuck when it comes to anything nowadays. It's a miracle Nier stayed on schedule and was as good as it is--then again Yoko Taro delivers his games pretty consistently.

DKHF

Actually the Mobius director is Motomu Toriyama, he appeared in the stream this information came from. And is credited in the description of the video as such "鳥山求(メビウスFF、ディレクター)"

So the thread title is slightly inaccurate.

Slater

Banned
What's even the point of Nomura?

He makes good trailers Jett, anybody who can keep there reputation for over a decade and give a character who never did jack shit a culty fanbase with nothing but CGI trailers is obviously an important asset

Geg

lol. There have been three games this past decade helmed by Nomura that have fallen into development hell. I'm sure there are multiple factors contributing to that but maybe it's time to consider the possibility that it's not just a coincidence

edit: Actually yeah maybe it's a bit too early to say the FF7 remake is in development hell but it's certainly not looking good

Harpuia

Huh. Why did they even partner with CC2 for this game? Given CC2's...well, lackluster track record you'd think that they would have gone in house the entire time. Unfortunate for CC2. Would've definitely have done them well if SE let them keep going.

Dude this game isn't going to be coming out anytime soon is it.

MartyStu

He makes good trailers Jett, anybody who can keep there reputation for over a decade and give a character who never did jack shit a culty fanbase with nothing but CGI trailers is obviously an important asset

You joke, but I think you are closer to the truth than you realize.

Well there are only so many excuses you can make before it starts reflecting poorly on the person rather than circumstances.

- It's only because FFXIII was taking up all the resources! (Versus)
- It's only because Luminous Studio was too crap! (KH3)
- It's only because CC2 failed to deliver! (FFVIIr)

Or maybe it's because he took on projects which were larger in scope than he could manage and lost the plot. Who knows.

Yeah I'm not gonna deny Versus XIII was a shitshow and KH3 may be in trouble. Depends how much they show of KH3 this year as to how it's actually doing.

With this it just looks like CC2 couldn't produce. If we see KH3 not delivering this year (with a trailer, world reveals, 2018 release window) then I'd agree with the people up in arms about Nomura.

I like Nomura but c'mon now... It's fair to say we have no idea what happened, better than "CC 2 couldn't produce good results".

Going off the information we have right now that's what it looks like. It's a more reasonable explanation right now than "Uhhh, Nomura fucked up I think!"

DMONKUMA

Might as well get Kojima if that's the case.

Love you Koji

_Nemo

Ya'll remember that other thread recently that also sounded worrying and there were people that were real quick to defend Square Enix. Lol.... They all look real stupid.

It's an endless cycle. Those who've known SE for a long time see right through their bullshit ways, but then you have new people who haven't been exposed to their bullshit that come in to defend them.

duckroll

Actually the Mobius director is Motomu Toriyama, he appeared in the stream this information came from. And is credited in the description of the video as such "鳥山求(メビウスFF、ディレクター)"

So the thread title is slightly inaccurate.

OMG FINALLY A CONFIRMATION! THANK YOU! :D

CC2 games have shallow gameplay but technically they're very solid and presentation-wise they're up with the best of them. But that's why Nomura was supposed to be designing the gameplay...

But that's not really how game development works. You don't have one guy designing all the gameplay and it just gets implemented perfectly. Especially when development occurs in a totally different location. You can have someone design core ideas, but they have to be implemented and iterated by game designers actually working in the development environment. There are so many factors to consider: how something is implemented, how it is presented to the player, the timing and balance of every element, etc. Nomura isn't the one doing all that. The development team is. Birth by Sleep is a responsive and fun game not just because Nomura came up with good ideas, but because the team working on it is able to convert that into a game experience which feels fun for the player.

What kind of development workflow do they have to make this call two years after active development? That's what's crazy to me right now.

I imagine there's intense pressure from above for episode 1 of the game to be released by at least next year. CC2's games, although having cool presentation, haven't even been as demanding as a game like this.

Kyoufu

What I want to know is why FFVII Remake wasn't developed in-house to begin with? It's their biggest game in years. A game of such importance being outsourced is weird to me.

Neonep

Good fucking lord.

Wasn't this game announced the same day as Horizon?

DMONKUMA

What I want to know is why FFVII Remake wasn't developed in-house to begin with? It's their biggest game in years. A game of such importance being outsourced is weird to me.

I thought it was a collaboration where they had both an equal number of Square and CC2 devs teams working on it?

Top Bottom