• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ever since I got a PC, last gen is almost obsolete for me

MazeHaze

Banned
Well on PS3 for example, it shows a video of thumbnail of the game as well as plays music before you actually launch it. On PS4 there are community features and more information you can get just by pressing down. A shortcut to a game on PC doesn't do any of that.
I mean, that stuff is cool, but I'd gladly take being able to disable splash screens, almost completely eliminate load times, and run decade old games at 4k 120 fps. Also don't ever use shortcuts, just open up steam and pick a game from your library and there's all kinds of community stuff and discussion forums only a click away. Works great using the Dualshock 4 touch pad as a mouse to get around steam too.

Edit: also PC game pricing has been even better than I heard. Sure there are always plenty of games on sale for five to ten dollars, but even new games. If you buy a preorder code from cdkeys a few days before release, all those 60 dollar games are usually around 35.

You can use Kodi with the Advanced Launcher plugin to launch every game that supports a gamepad. With Kodi you can also use other things and plugins like media players, watch Youtube, use couch-friendly emulator frontends, etc, without the need to ever touch the keyboard or mouse.

Kodi supports all kinds of media and assets and you can make it as beautiful as you want.

You quoted the wrong guy I think, however I might try that lol

Also, whatever happened to that launcher that was supposed to be able to access steam, Uplay, origin etc? There were two in beta I believe. One was cancelled but I'm not sure on the other one. Wish I remembered its name.

Edit: Playnite is the name. Still seems like it's around.

I've more and more leaned towards PC since I built my still current computer six years ago. I still down own a current gen console because of it and already having way too many games to play. Might finally buy a PS4 (Pro) this Fall if the price is right.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Started to go back into PC in 2009, went full in in 2011.

Haven't returned. Made the PS4 and Xbone obsolete before they came out.

Build my first PC in 2015, 980ti with an i5 4690. Still provides me a way better experience than consoles.

I've been playing a lot of PS4 lately because of the amazing exclusive line up this year but man, I love that I do most of my playing on PC these days. Going back to old games and getting 1440p or 4k + 60 - 144 fps is something else.

Nheco

Nowadays I play most of my single player games on PC. Cheaper, runs better, and I have stuff like freesync on top of it.

I still playing some multiplayer games on console because of my friends.

RangerX

Banned
Graphics and ultra high performance aren't the most Important parts of gaming for me so I still play games from last gen and many of the previous generations.

I play both equally, sometimes I just want to lie on the couch and play something on PS4 rather than sit in the office at the PC, sometimes its the other way about.

womp

Going PC this gen after not being a PC gamer for over 15 years was the best decision I ever made. "But PC's are expensive and I have to sit at a desk" not anymore. Free online, best performance, and the cheap as shit games make up for the difference I paid over a launch day PS4 vs building my mid range PC. I got my little PC plugged into the family room plasma which auto boots into Steam Big Picture in less than 15 seconds and it is nirvana.

Stuff like the recent release of Vanquish is just the cherry on top. Feels good man and complements my Nintendo Switch.

This happened to me about 10 years ago. I stopped playing consoles entirely but then exclusives brought me back. Lately ive been playing more on console (Zelda persona) but when there's no major exclusives I rarely touch the consoles.

Felspawn

I'm the opposite, while I've always had consoles too I've always considered myself mainly a PC gamer, still have a GTX 970 Sandy bridge i7 rig yet I've found myself just console gaming lately. Maybe it's because of Sony's great exclusives this year, maybe because I noticed I spend more time tweaking a game then actually playing then on the PC and actually beat games when I'm playing them on console. Maybe it's the fact that I'm not as hung up on 60fps as I use to be and can enjoy a game just fine if it's a solid 30fps. I've been gaming on a ps4 pro and I've been very happy with it. Still regardless of what I or anyone else does if your having fun more power to you

Bolivar687

Banned
I can't play last gen games at all, even on PC. Just too many bad and unrefined mechanics that were being overlooked in favor of larger worlds and higher resolutions.

The last one I tried was AC Brotherhood. Once the novelty of playing AC at high framerates and low latency wore off, I was left with a game I had no interest in spending 30 hours of my life on. And all the p's in the world can't help some of the small textures in the game, let alone it's gruesome motionless skyboxes.

I don't get people who build PCs to play console games.

ISee

I can't play last gen games at all, even on PC. Just too many bad and unrefined mechanics that were being overlooked in favor of larger worlds and higher resolutions.

The last one I tried was AC Brotherhood. Once the novelty of playing AC at high framerates and low latency wore off, I was left with a game I had no interest in spending 30 hours of my life on. And all the p's in the world can't help some of the small textures in the game, let alone it's gruesome motionless skyboxes.

Just out of curiosity what exactly are console games and what are PC games?

Cramoss

So they should just lock themselves and play only PC exclusives?

Fewr

Thanks to Blizzard (and Steam) I've been slowly transitioning towards PC gaming recently. I think I see myself playing PC + Switch a year from now.

I'm not sure what I'll do with my PS4, but one thing I know for certain is that I'm never buying a console on day one again. I'll wait for discounts or a slim version from now on.

Tohsaka

A significant amount of my PS3/360 games aren't and will probably never be on Steam, so it will never be a full replacement.

Many last gen games looked amazing but were severely gimped on consoles. Even playing them at release was a night and day difference in games like Bioshock Infinite (which had it's beautiful art style destroyed by poor IQ) and Far Cry 3 (where the framerate would tank often). But add to that going forward that you can return to the same purchased game with more powerful hardware and get your own 'remaster' is even better. I love returning to older games and using stuff like DSR and high refresh rates to give them new life.

It also doesn't help that some of the remastered games that get new paid releases on consoles aren't even that impressive an upgrade. Look at the dishonored remastered that came out on ps4 and xbox one that still runs at 30fps, like what is the point.

Atolm

The same happened to me. Playing Dishonored with no loading times on a SSD was truly mind blowing, compared to what I was used to on PS3.

Kssio_Aug

I'm strongly considering selling my XB1 with 3 games now, exactly cause of that. I like XB1, but I really don't much use for it now that they're realsing it's exclusive titles for W10.

I was wondering... should I wait till E3? (maybe they announce something exclusive to the console?) Or if I wait, with Scorpio announcement, will my regular XB1 with Kinect version lose value?

Budi

These PC threads are always full of mind-boggling posts. So hard to see the logic. And also the same old rhetoric that isn't even true.

On the topic though, I've been gathering my library of older games but rarely do I boot them up. I guess I intend to since I spent money on them. Most of them are new stuff to me though, not games I've already played on consoles. GTA V is one of the exceptions, bought it on launch for PS3. But started waiting for PC version before I completed it. Then I couldn't really be arsed to play it on PC when it finally came, somehow it wasn't as fun anymore. But something like these PC ports of Bayonetta and Vanquish, I had to jump right in. Never played these before. Still bit to go on Bayonetta, after that it's Vanquish. Good game btw.

KillLaCam

Banned
My ps4 is just for fighting games and soulslike exclusives.

Even the ps4 made last gen obsolete to me. I tried to go and play halo 4 splitscreen and it felt and looked horrible

Zia

Opposite for me.

Been PC Gaming primarily all my life but recently console gaming is easier to jump into with friends for all the coop and multiplayer games. Especially with my life schedule and with game share which makes coop games almost an instant buy every time. When I get home know I turn on my xbox/ps4 and everything is updated and working and so are my friends consoles, no bullshitting around.

It makes sense to choose a platform if you play MP and that's where you friends are, but PC has all of those things except sharing.

My PS4 is for exclusives.

Everything else is bought on Switch(if portability is a factor and its actually released on it) or PC.

I like games on both PC and console. I've never understood the "omg i got a pc and consoles are now dog shit" revelations that people have. congrats i guess lol.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
As a retro enthusiast, I typically prefer playing console games on consoles...but, I have to admit, the 360/PS3 gen has aged horribly and many of those games are simply best played on the PC.

Prior to that, there's something unique about console hardware that often resulted in different or interesting experiences. Especially when you bring CRTs into the mix. Emulation on an LCD monitor just doesn't cut it.

Been had a beast pc but the only thing NC s I buy on it are fps. Otherwise I buy the big games on my ps4 pro first then double dip on pc when there is a sale on humble bundle cd keys. Is the right description redundant and not obsolete?

Jinroh

Playing old games at 1440p with 100+ fps is an eye opener, you can rediscover some old game. It made me sell nearly all the multi platforms games I owned on PS3/Xbox 360. It's just impossible to go back to 720p/30 fps games, and that's one of the reason why I barely ever touch my xbox one.

Rizific

I feel the same, as soon as I built my PC in 2009. this gen is a bit better because the visuals have closed the gap, but piss poor 30fps still plagues the majority of exclusives.

This is the case for me even for current gen. Except for the exclusives, of course.

Also, I just can't fathom the idea of having to pay to play my already purchased vide games online.

Consoles have been and always the exclusives machine for me.

I could never go back to PS3 and Xbox 360 except for a handful of specific exclusives. Playing those games on any half-decent PC from the last 10 years is just so
so
so
so much better

The same happened to me. Playing Dishonored with no loading times on a SSD was truly mind blowing, compared to what I was used to on PS3.

and don't forget that a toaster could max that game out well beyond PS3/360's 720p 30fps presentation

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Basically every decade of my life I buy or build a good PC, use it for a few years, then forget about it only to play games that will run fine on a toaster. I don't care about big spectacle PC games anymore and if I do want to play one they're usually on a console I have/can borrow.

Consoles sometimes feel like an upgrade, or a downgrade. It all depended on the pc I had at the time.

- I got the psx in 1998 (late to the party) after one year of 3dfx. Imagine going from FF7 PC to FF7 psx.

- PS3 felt quite impressive (Ratchet & Clank Future at 60fps), but was quickly forgotten after one year later I got a Radeon 3870.

- PS4 has been my biggest disappointment so far. Even an aging gtx 460 felt more powerful than that, specially when comparing Tomb Raider 2013.

In the end, I went full PC in 2017. While I can deal with poor graphics, I take frame rates seriously.

Quonny

Does anyone even read the OP or do people just see "PC" and "console" in the same paragraph and start flaming the platform they don't use?

Anyway, yeah, it's pretty crazy how many older games work on PC and benefit from it immensely.

Zojirushi

Sure once you get into PC as your multiplat system consoles are largely useless except for exclusives and MP stuff you want to play there if your friends do which obviously can be a pretty big factor.

WillyFive

Other than Nintendo systems, getting a game console if you already have a gaming PC seems like an extravagance, nothing that you really need other than the occasional single player exclusive from Sony, and even those you can live without as there are plenty of similar games on PC. It's not even a matter of "but my comfy couch" as it was 10 years ago, since half of my PC games I play on a TV with a controller.

However, the friend factor is still just as important as it always was; if all your friends play on another console, then the better PC experience and library will take a back seat to having fun with your friends, every time.

I've been more into consoles all my life but when I got a decent gaming PC I started to play less on them. Nowadays I just buy exclusives on Nintendo's consoles or PS4, and most multiplatform games on PC. I stopped playing on Xbox systems though, as they didn't really offer anything to me anymore.

Same, except I've also been gaming on PC for a good long while. It's really last gen though that I truly started playing consoles a lot less because most games became multiplatform and we're just better on PC.

PS3 felt last gen for me even when it was still current gen and I had an older PC. When I saw my mate playing BL2 on his PS3 I just wanted to Rio my eyes out. 30FPS at best with all the jag and low res everything made it feel older than it should be.

Thankfully PS4 hasn't reached that point yet. We still get native res games with stable 30 or 60 FPS. Eventually publishers will push for shinier but clunkier graphics though. I've largely stopped buying console games except for exclusives though.

I've got Steam Link and a spare controller coming so I'll get couch gaming goodness too.

PC has been my primary platform for about 6 or so years, I still play console exclusive games on consoles but everything I can get on PC I almost always get there with the few exceptions of really well done PS4 Pro enhanced games. Better graphics, higher resolution, higher framerate, better playability, makes PC a no brainer for someone wanting the best experience like myself.

120v

yeah ever since i got into PC my consoles have essentially just been netflix/app streaming devices, sold off my games except for the odd exclusive here and there.

i respect that's not for everybody and people prefer physical copies, 'the console experience', ect but PC effectively streamlined like 95% of my gaming habits. my 'gaming life' for lack of a better term is way more enjoyable than it was 10 or so years ago

PC is pretty much all I use nowadays. I have a XBO, but all I used that for was mainly Halo and Destiny. D2 is coming to PC and H6 will probably be a Xbox play anywhere title. So I don't need an Xbox anymore. PS4 doesn't have an exclusive I care for, so that's whatever. I do have a Switch for Nintendo titles.

Top Bottom