• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo 64 Appreciation/Collecting/Emulation Thread.

baphomet

Hmmm, I would need to get a new soldering iron to attempt that THS7314 mod. I may as well just see if I can buy one ready modded from somewhere I think.

Well i should have about 4-6 this sunday. If you decide you want one shoot me a pm. You can also check the bst thread and they should be up in there

elektrixx

Banned
I'd probably have a VGA mod already if I didn't have a PAL console. AFAIK all known HDMI mod projects work on any revision of the console.

Raw64life

So is there anyway to backup cartridge saves to your PC to play on emulators?

I was this close to getting a Retrode until I read that they didn't have support for it yet and on the Retrode forum they pretty much say that they're not even working on it at the moment.

Coreda

I was this close to getting a Retrode until I read that they didn't have support for it yet and on the Retrode forum they pretty much say that they're not even working on it at the moment.

IIRC you can load saves from inserted memory cards in Project64, at least I seem to remember doing so. Not a direct file per se, but after loading the game from the card you can re-save to a local file. Saving to the card is also supported I think.

Although I'm not a big fan of Legend of Zelda games I was able to convince the lovely Simone to show off both my grey and gold cartridges of Ocarina of Time. ; )

DSC_0064_zps6c80a9d1.jpg

Peagles

Speaking as a fellow PAL-region shmuck, I think it's definitely worth it to get a bapho64. I considered trying my hand at the mod myself, but since NTSC consoles are so seldomly seen here (and I assume it's the same in the UK) and only some are compatible, I think it's about the most cost effective option. Not only that, bapho does great work!

Rich!

edit: has there been any advancements on the RGB modding? I have a U.S model and the RGB mod never worked on mine. I think I recall reading way back when, that it worked better on some models than others. Mine was a launch machine and I ended up with a really dark picture when I tried modding mine. I ended up with one of those RGB convertor cables by Blaze, which I believe converts s-video to RGB.

I've got an RGB modded N64 courtesy of gaffer Baphomet 666 and it's fucking amazing. The issue people have when they end up with a dark image is because you're supposed to add an amp, which you didn't do.

And as for the bolded, that's some severe bullshit on Blaze's part, hahahaha. impossibru! The lack of RGB in the stock N64 is at a hardware level - no amount of cable converters can ever solve that!

for reference, here's some shots from my console:

the clarity is stunning

I've got an RGB modded N64 courtesy of gaffer Baphomet 666 and it's fucking amazing. The issue people have when they end up with a dark image is because you're supposed to add an amp, which you didn't do.

And as for the bolded, that's some severe bullshit on Blaze's part, hahahaha. impossibru! The lack of RGB in the stock N64 is at a hardware level - no amount of cable converters can ever solve that!

To be fair (I don't know the technicalities so forgive me) the cable from Blaze does end up with some form of RGB signal. I had an old PAL tv that wouldn't accept an NTSC signal (s-video used to be in black and white). The cable gave a colour picture, albeit one not as pure as a "proper" RGB signal. But it did do something that allowed the RGB pins in a PAL tv to receive and output a colour picture from an NTSC machine. It took the s-video signal and did something to it. But the picture is muddy and lacks colour to some degree.

edit: yeah your pictures, even with those artifacts, do indeed look great :)

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.

A combination of Gameshark + DexDrive could do this, but from my faint recollection I don't even think DexDrive was USB and who knows if the software works on modern OSes.

A combination of Gameshark + DexDrive could do this, but from my faint recollection I don't even think DexDrive was USB and who knows if the software works on modern OSes.

The DexDrive is a serial port device. If you have an old computer with a serial port, a working dexdrive, and a working gameshark though, yes, it should be possible to back up saves that way.

-KRS-

Yeah I'd say for the most part S-video is good enough. Especially on a CRT. Sure RGB is better but S-video is still way better than composite. Well, at least on NTSC N64s. On my PAL N64 S-video looks worse than composite somehow.

IrishNinja

So more like $150-200 total? Yeah, $5 cable sounds nice.

you can get a setup to play RGB for less than that, but if you have something that accepts archaic s-video cords, that's neat too..no need to be snippy about it. why ask a question if you weren't interested in the answer anyway?

Peagles

you can get a setup to play RGB for less than that, but if you have something that accepts archaic s-video cords, that's neat too..no need to be snippy about it. why ask a question if you weren't interested in the answer anyway?

Should've seen the troll when they instantly referred to RGB as "super weird" lol what the hell...

It didn't cost me $200 and I had to import the N64 fer Christ's sake. Cost me $150NZD max and that's including a badass PVM and an RGB SCART cable I can use on a couple of other systems.

Raw64life

IIRC you can load saves from inserted memory cards in Project64, at least I seem to remember doing so. Not a direct file per se, but after loading the game from the card you can re-save to a local file. Saving to the card is also supported I think.

I'm assuming you couldn't do this for games with saves in the cartridge and not on the controller pak. Or could you transfer a save like Super Mario 64 onto the controller park somehow? I have no recollection of how it worked.

The DexDrive is a serial port device. If you have an old computer with a serial port, a working dexdrive, and a working gameshark though, yes, it should be possible to back up saves that way.

Thanks. This info was enough for Google to lead me to this video. Thankfully the DexDrive and USB to serial port cord are cheap. Hopefully I can find my N64 Gameshark in my attic.

mintyice

Just wanted to know if the difference between s video and RGB was worth it, but the hassle and cost of going RGB for a minor improvement of video quality of a system that already doesn't look great seems kind of absurd, but to each his own. $5 S video is probably a dramatic improvement over component, and the significantly higher price for the mod for only a minor improvement over s video seems crazy to me. I'd probably be better off getting a new CRT TV and be just as happy.

Coreda

I'm assuming you couldn't do this for games with saves in the cartridge and not on the controller pak. Or could you transfer a save like Super Mario 64 onto the controller park somehow? I have no recollection of how it worked.

Thanks. This info was enough for Google to lead me to this video. Thankfully the DexDrive and USB to serial port cord are cheap. Hopefully I can find my N64 Gameshark in my attic.

Mmm, misread the question. Haven't read of a way to transfer saves from cart to card yet, but good to know there's a cart-reading solution (and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg!).

Rich!

Memory Pak saves are easy to backup - either use an N64-USB controller adapter or dump the files using an Everdrive 64.

As for cart saves, it's gotta be an Action Replay Pro.

baphomet

Just wanted to know if the difference between s video and RGB was worth it, but the hassle and cost of going RGB for a minor improvement of video quality of a system that already doesn't look great seems kind of absurd, but to each his own. $5 S video is probably a dramatic improvement over component, and the significantly higher price for the mod for only a minor improvement over s video seems crazy to me. I'd probably be better off getting a new CRT TV and be just as happy.

Its really not what i would call a minor improvement over svideo, but to each their own.

Rich!

If I really could be bothered, I'd take some photos of the difference between S Video and RGB as I have a standard and an RGB N64 and both cables to hand.

Actually, I may well do that. It's a VAST difference.

baphomet

Have any major betas been found in the wild for N64? Like the original Conker design or anything? Or Cubivore?

Unfortunate thing about a large portion of n64 betas and such, is that they used rewritable flash cards to test them. They would just overwrite the previous beta with the newer one up until final. Not only that, but they werent permanent writes. Even if you have a sm64 beta flash cart, theres likely nothing on it even if it was never rewrote.

mintyice

If I really could be bothered, I'd take some photos of the difference between S Video and RGB as I have a standard and an RGB N64 and both cables to hand.

Actually, I may well do that. It's a VAST difference.

Yes please! I'd love to see the difference with high quality photos

Rich!

Yes please! I'd love to see the difference with high quality photos

Right. Turns out my Sony CRT doesn't accept S Video lol, but my other CRT does. Not the best of photos, as I'm using a crappy phone camera, but you can see the difference in clarity:

SVIDEO

RGB

SVIDEO (look at the stairs)

RGB

SVIDEO

RGB

It's hard to tell through these photos, but the colour on the RGB console is far, far more vibrant. And in motion, there's no comparison.

Coreda

Right. Turns out my Sony CRT doesn't accept S Video lol, but my other CRT does. Not the best of photos, as I'm using a crappy phone camera, but you can see the difference in clarity:

It's hard to tell through these photos, but the colour on the RGB console is far, far more vibrant. And in motion, there's no comparison.

Niiice. The way the S-Video renders the picture remind me of heavy sharpening, with the darkness around edges. The RGB definitely looks to be a clearer 1:1 representation.

Rich!

RGB is basically a 1:1 pixel perfect output.

Hard to see just how great it is unless you do so in person (or have someone take a better photo!)

sohecabron

Neo Member
Hi guys.

I never had the chance to play Nintendo 64 tittles on their original platform, and I saved a bit of money, so I'm going to buy a jap one. How much should I pay for console + controller and a game of two? I really want smash bros and sm64. I am from Europe, so the shipment will be quite expensive, right?

D-e-f-

Banned
Hi guys.

I never had the chance to play Nintendo 64 tittles on their original platform, and I saved a bit of money, so I'm going to buy a jap one. How much should I pay for console + controller and a game of two? I really want smash bros and sm64. I am from Europe, so the shipment will be quite expensive, right?

Don't forget the power converter.

Maxrunner

Going to get mine near new console this week, already bought jet force gemini and perfect dark, but what is all RGB stuff im reading? does it involve soldering?

If I'm looking to get another Nintendo 64 controller (I have some knockoff controller and have no clue what I did with my original many years ago), what's my best bet? I keep seeing some pretty lousy reviews of those "new" N64 controllers and was just wondering if there's something out there I missed.

Rich!

If I'm looking to get another Nintendo 64 controller (I have some knockoff controller and have no clue what I did with my original many years ago), what's my best bet? I keep seeing some pretty lousy reviews of those "new" N64 controllers and was just wondering if there's something out there I missed.

Best controller hands down. Same form factor as the official but better to hold and an analog stick that's identical to the official one but never, ever wears out.

And theyre dirt cheap. I have one that's lasted me almost two decades.

Top Bottom