• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•14-16•17 - Audiences go Ape, Sick of Spider-man and Wonder Woman (finally)?

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls

kunonabi

The Incredible Hulk is the actual worst MCU film.

I saw that on a double date and was genuinely embarrassed about what was happening on screen.

It really is. Iron man 2 and the dark world are nowhere near as atrocious that was. Incredible Hulk and homecoming are the only mcu films ill probably never own.

Yep all my co workers and non comic friends were like I'm wait to watch this, there has been too many people playing Spider-Man. I told them no this is different, he's safe now working with Disney but they were still skeptical. A lot of my girl friends are still upset about the death of Gwen Stacy to watch this lol.

Na, it's better than Thor 2...and maybe Thor 1. But that's not saying much.

Negative.

IM2 was definitely worse than both.

So bad I honestly can't remember the villain or the plot, and I've seen it twice (2nd time I was a bit tipsy though).

I enjoyed Dark World, but not enough to defend it at every turn lol. I personally think the Incredible Hulk is worse, but I can't say I've outright disliked any MCU film.

Disappointing number for War. It's got terrific reviews, and it's going to make less then both Dawn & Rises. Guess audiences truly don't want dark not so action packed films. Guess it didn't help that the marketing made it look like a copy of Dawn.

J_Viper

I don't understand how anyone can hate The Incredible Hulk.

Maybe it's too simplistic for its own good, but the action is great, it moves at a decent pace, and the cast is solid. The final fight between Hulk and Abom is better than most finales to date.

Compare that to Iron Man 2, when you're dealing with one of the worst scripts in a cape film, complete with jokes about Tony peeing in his suit, because that's so funny.

Then you've got the CG, which is a huge downgrade from the first movie. His armor is TERRIBLE in IM2. Then Rhodes becomes War Machine by stealing the suit? There was no other way to do that?

The action is garbage too.

There's not a single redeeming factor in IM2. It is fucking phoned-in garbage.

I'm still confused as to how Marvel knocked it out of the park with the first Iron Man, then followed it up with two pieces of trash.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I don't think there is a single bad MCU movie. There are some that I can understand being called mediocre or average but in terms of being bad? I don't agree. Green Lantern is bad. Fantastic Four is bad. Batman v. Superman is bad.

The Incredible Hulk is near the bottom of my rankings but I don't understand how the above poster could say he felt embarrassed watching it. The opening "on the run" stuff was pretty great, as was the final battle. It's a passable fun-at-times movie. Average.

The original Thor is solid. The Earth stuff needed to be fleshed out more as the relationship between Thor and Jane felt rushed and unbelievable (while I loved the relationship between Steve and Peggy in TFA). The battle against Destroyer was bad. I think Hemsworth and Hiddleston's performances elevate the movie.

The same with The Dark World, which is probably the worst MCU film. It has some fun moments like a final battle that was way better than the first and an Asgard that felt alive. And it had Heimdall doing that badass "run up the ramp and stab the alien ship" thing. It just wasn't what I wanted out of the next Thor movie. I was also hoping they would take a more serious direction with Selvig as well, not the "crazy naked guy" direction they took.

Iron Man 2 simply has way too much going on without anything really coming together well. Justin Hammer was fantastic, however, and the action was much improved over the original. And of course, Robert was a joy to watch and that made the movie fun enough.

I feel like people online can only call something "dog shit" or "amazing" with no in between.

Hate is a strong word, but The Incredible Hulk is simply a terrible take on the characters (aside from Tim Roth and William Hurt, who resumed the role of Ross in Civil War), and it's SMALL. Like everything takes place on a small soundstage with no daring visuals or any kind of HULK aspects that the Ang Lee version was so great at. The leap, for one. Which also gave us the videogame Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, which is tons of smashing fun in terms of the shit you can do, like jumping to a fighter jet. It's very limited otherwise due being a PS2-era game, but that, along with Ang Lee's movie, are far more daring and caring takes on HULK, along with an understanding of Banner's duality towards it ("when I transform, people die"), that was completely absent from the 2008 version. Also, a lot of its scenes have Hulk acting like a smoke monster, as if he's fucking Batman all of a sudden. That's just not what Hulk is. Hulk is seeing green with rage. ("Take it! Take it all!" "It's too much!" is exactly what Banner's problem is )

And before I go all 'buuuut' and try to defend it on using practical effects in combination with CG, the reality is that even an arguably poor CG sequence in the 2003 movie is far more exciting than anything (except for Abomination) shown in the 2008 version.

It is just a terrible take, even if it did care to put in Abomination and a Lou Ferringo cameo. It's probably frustrated by the time it was made in, with Marvel playing it so safe they ruined it at the time.
A new movie would likely not have to deal with these restraints, but it would require all-CG sequences like the Ang Lee movie. As it is, that movie, and Eric Bana as its lead, is the superior version of movie HULK as its own movie. However, in team connection he works better in The Avengers movies. However, those were both directed by Josh Whedon, who knew the character in advance. There's no guarantee the character will work well in the hands of someone else. I figure Taika Waititi is smart enough to do so though, but beyond that, it's anyone's guess.

edit: Oh? No bad MCU movies? Okay then: Thor is absolutely shittastical borefest, as is The Dark World. Iron Man 2 I don't even remember. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't good. Age of Ultron was just terrible, basically the counterpart of BvS. "Blandness supreme" should be Marvel's motto if it wasn't for Shane Black giving us Trevor, which is the best thing to come out of all that.

By contrast, Fantastic Four 2015 was actually promising and deeply caring in some aspects (Dooms helmet literally being fused into him, which the Alba versions neglected, and future attempts probably will too), but ruined by committee. I still want to see Trank's cut, because I sense that version would have worked to show the one thing in which the F4 are different from every other superhero: they have a family.

Green lantern we don't talk about. And we all know what BvS was too. But to say that 'therefore there are no bad MCU movies' is just a fallacy.

Face of someone who knows they made the right decision!

DE8HKmYVYAAp4GT.jpg:large
Maya Rudolph and Patrick Stewart deserve better :(

I have a hard time ranking MCU movies absolutely because I mostly saw them as they came out, and some are more memorable than others. IM2, for instance, I don't recall having any big issues with, but it's not like it stood out, either. Hulk I hated as I was watching (and that usually doesn't happen to me with popcorn flicks) and T:DW was just boring and nonsensical. OTOH, Thor 1 I didn't care for much opening weekend but came to really like it after a second viewing at home. The ones that struck me as great were GotG1, IM1 (though 3rd act issues as with many superhero movies), Avengers, Winter Soldier. I'm pretty high on SM:H right now, too. It's my favorite MCU movie in quite a while.

The Dark Tower's official runtime seems to be 94 minutes.

Not sure how to feel about this movie since the only positives about it so far is that it's cheap and short.

tkscz

I love Stewart and Ian Mckellen, they never seem to be above things.

I can honestly see it

Exec: "Ok Patrick, you'll be voicing poop"
PS: "Fine let's do it"
Exec: "Wait really? Just like that?"
PS: "Have you seen American Dad? Lets do this!"

GhaleonEB

Reminder:

Patrick Stewart is the voice of "Poop."

The only part of the trailer that got a smile out of me was Poop and Poop jr. leaving the bathroom chanting, "We're number two! We're number two!"

I wondered if that's the line Stewart read and was like, fuck it. I'm in.

J_Viper

It only now occurred to me that Iron Man and WW have literally the exact same problem stopping them from achieving perfection

The lame ass final boss

Peru

It only now occurred to me that Iron Man and WW have literally the exact same problem stopping them both from achieving perfection

The lame ass final boss

The WW final act connects to the central struggle of the main character and features an emotional climax in her relationship with the 2nd lead. That's leaps and bounds beyond almost any superhero movie.

GhaleonEB

The WW final act connects to the central struggle of the main character and features an emotional climax in her relationship with the 2nd lead. That's leaps and bounds beyond almost any superhero movie.

Yup. The film has issues but a lame boss fight is not among them. It built straight from the story and was well done. Some of the CG was problematic, sure.

You guys are ranking MCU films?

Bye.
Not exactly.

It only now occurred to me that Iron Man and WW have literally the exact same problem stopping them from achieving perfection

The lame ass final boss

This is not a problem new to the genre, sadly. And not specific to MCU films, obviously. The first Fox Fantastic Four movie was doing fine until Doom showed up. Green Lantern had lots of problems, but the climactic last act against a cloud was by far the biggest.

It tries to have moral complexity but completely whiffs the execution and instead ends up being a massive missed opportunity.

The last act is bad, but even worse, it's really disappointing compared to where I thought the film was going with Diana's character.

The concept of the last act of Wonder Woman is fine. The execution and the villain himself, not so fine.

That said, I like WW a lot more than IM1.

Top Bottom