• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Switch developer information leaked. Reveals A TON incl. hardware specs

Sendou

I know it's not saying anything new but I really hope they would just come out and reveal everything people want to know about the system. We're less than 3 weeks to launch. That people have to resort to some leaked documents from 6 months ago to try to figure out what their system is going to do is pretty mind-boggling.

BigEmil

To be fair, not even Nvidia is using Pascal for their Shield right now.
I think that's a contract thing between Nvidia and Nintendo. Nvidia can't just release a better processor out already just when the Nintendo Switch is releasing with the older processor it would make it look bad so likely delayed it to be released next year instead.

Vena

I think that's a contract thing between Nvidia and Nintendo. Nvidia can't just release a better processor out already just when the Nintendo Switch is releasing with the older processor it would make it look bad so likely delayed it to be released next year instead.

lol

Oregano

Alright then tech NeoGAF, how much more powerful is this than a Wii U in docked mode as I don't plan on using portable mode much at all, if ever. Still safe to say 2-5x a Wii U in docked mode but still just missing Xbox One performance?

Not a tech guy but it's probably like 3x as powerful as Wii U and half an Xbox One at best.

I know it's not saying anything new but I really hope they would just come out and reveal everything people want to know about the system. We're less than 3 weeks to launch. That people have to resort to some leaked documents from 6 months ago to try to figure out what their system is going to do is pretty mind-boggling.

I'd say if we don't get a Direct announced for this week (probably on Thursday) then there won't be one before launch.

But will purchases be tied to Nintendo Accounts or Nintendo Profiles? (Nintendo Profile = nnid?)

Purchases are already tied to you Nintendo Account on Wii U and 3DS, so I doubt that will change.

ramparter

Banned
If I'm reading this correctly.

Ts6Qt0C.png

1. You can have the same Nintendo Account on different Switch's.
2. You cannot have the same Nintendo Account on two different profile on the same Switch.
3. One profile on a Switch cannot have two different Nintendo Accounts.

But will purchases be tied to Nintendo Accounts or Nintendo Profiles? (Nintendo Profile = nnid?)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
We just don't know what process node and final clocks are for this device. This leak for instance says that the CPU is 2GHz and the GPU is 512GFLOPs, but we know it isn't, we just don't know what the final clocks are, but we have 2 potential candidates;

Eurogamer leak, At least somewhat connected to this document: A57 1ghz 4 core CPU with 768mhz 2SM Maxwell GPU (393gflops, or about 4 times Wii U in single precision and around 680gflops in mixed precision)

Hardware specs on the left side of the table vs. what's available for applications/games on the right. The clocks leaked by DF where the ones going on the right side of the table. All of it falls into places unless denial is involved.

dfgyjx3.jpg

OCD Guy

C'mon Nintendo...this is not how we should be learning about this stuff. Why is it so hard to communicate concrete info to your fans and people interested in buying your system?

We're less than 3 weeks from launch now...

Exactly.

This sort of information should be what the manufacturer themselves are showing off to consumers. When Apple release an IPhone as well as the hardware, they are showing the actual user interface and features, Microsoft and Sony do the same right?

But here we are only a matter of weeks before launch and people like me that have pre-ordered are still guessing what things might be like.

Obviously I'm choosing to pre-order despite that because I know I'll get enjoyment out of the games, but it's frustrating seeing how Nintendo operate. I get that they want to be in their own lane but fuck....

Also "it being primarily a games console" is not an excuse to not show off the user interface at least. Specs well Nintendo gonna Nintendo, as they've never been one to list hardware specs in black and white really.

J@hranimo

Banned
So this is just the July devkit? Bleh, nothing we haven't really heard of besides supporting gigabit ethernet speeds.

Less than a month until the inevitable teardowns, and that's where the real fun begins.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
the only new info is web applet, lock screen, home menu can be accessed without suspending the entire game, and more Mii eyebrows

Technically we knew there'd be new Mii options, including that they'd be in the settings menu. It was hidden in like one article though as an answer to a question I believe Kotaku asked.

Neoxon

Yeah I completely overlooked this lol

Lots we're assuming the app was the only way to invite friends and now we learn you can do that on the system. It doesn't help that Reggie said you'll use the app for it too I think.

I wonder where this leaves Voice Chat then
I'd imagine that game-specific voice chat is still possible, but the smart phone app may be used as a means for party chat (weird, but whatever).

For real?

Dystify

Some new info: Nintendo is expanding its online network and offers a library called Network Extension (NEX).

Matchmaking:
  • This feature matches players for multiplayer games. It can be used to bring players together based on matching criteria from among unspecified numbers of users, or to create groups among friends only. Groups can be created temporarily for a multiplayer game, or they can be created as lasting entities usable as communities.
Ranking:
  • This feature uploads scores so users can get the relative rankings. Rankings can be calculated for only a certain period of time, or for only the scores of players registered in a certain group, and the score information can be periodically reset.
Data Store:
  • This is a network storage feature. Any data can be optionally saved to the game server. This saved data can be tagged, searched, and appended with ratings and the like.
Subscriber:
  • This is a messaging feature based on the publish-subscribe pattern. It can be used to post messages on certain topics, poll for posts on certain topic, and otherwise share information within the application.

This may be the primary reason we're being asked to pay for online services now

Nightbird

what is so great about achievement systems? I've never been that enamoured with them myself. what is the attraction? This is a genuine question & not trolling. Never been that bothered with the xbox & psn systems.

It's fun to see how many people that own a game actually beat it, where the biggest drop off points are, and so on.

on top of that achievements provide a nice sets of challenges you can try to beat in a game.

sure this does exist in some Nintendo games, but it has also a nice feel to it that you can show off to the world (or more accurately, to your friends) that you managed to beat a challenge you've been struggling with

it's nothing a game system flat out needs, but it's nice to have.

LordOfChaos

I'm not a technical guru, but it sounds like "Noticeably more powerful than WiiU, even in handheld mode, but not quite Xbox One" is the consensus that I've seen from those who understand this stuff better.

"Not quite" is probably putting it gently. Maxwell is more efficient than the GCN 1.1-1.2 like parts in the PS4/XBO, but not so much that a 500Gflop mobile chip would come near a 1.3Tflop GCN part. FP16 is nice, not applicable to every type of graphics work, not a simple multiplier. And then consider 25GB/s bandwidth instead of 68 main memory, 102GB/s eSRAM bandwidth.

Hardware specs on the left side of the table vs. what's available for applications/games on the right. The clocks leaked by DF where the ones going on the right side of the table. All of it falls into places unless denial is involved.

dfgyjx3.jpg

All this says is Digital Foundry saw a newer version of the specs sheet in the OP (or heard from a developer who did). I don't think anyone has argued that. They still admit they don't know the final core configurations or process node.

mario_O

I'm not a technical guru, but it sounds like "Noticeably more powerful than WiiU, even in handheld mode, but not quite Xbox One" is the consensus that I've seen from those who understand this stuff better.

Kymc.png

Undocked it has153 Gflops compared to the 176 Gflops of the WiiU. And docked 384 Gflops. But different arquitectures so it's not 1:1 comparison with flops.

All this says is Digital Foundry saw a newer version of the specs sheet in the OP (or heard from a developer who did). I don't think anyone has argued that. They still admit they don't know the final core configurations or process node.
but they do think it's unlikely to change. expect the worst and be positively surprised if it's better than that :)

notaskwid

C'mon Nintendo...this is not how we should be learning about this stuff. Why is it so hard to communicate concrete info to your fans and people interested in buying your system?

We're less than 3 weeks from launch now...

Exactly. Except...it's less than 20 days at this point!
It doesn't matter, it has Zelda /s

suikodan

Anyone knows or has tested how well it'll play with sunlight?

I am near a window with direct sunlight and I can't see anything on 3DS for example. I'd be delighted if it would be like a PC (or iPhone) screen.

z0m3le

Banned
But, but, butt Foxconn fantasy leak!! /s

I already accepted inside the toaster hw specs, so that's that.

I like the predictive keyboard and that it has themes at a first glance.

472/176 = 5?
393/176 = 4?

Wii U = 160 shaders @ 550MHz * 2 ops per core per clock = 176Gflops, single precision.

Or are you adding a multiplier for Maxwells increased efficiency over R700? In which case I'd clear that up as only Gflops were mentioned before.

Yeah it is direct performance between architectures, VLIW5 was not the most efficient use of gflops, but we already see this with shinen developer and fast racing rmx, capable of double the framerate and over double the resolution with 4 players.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
This is from July 15th IIRC.

EDIT: here it is, July 15th, so this isn't the final devkit, makes some sense with some of the features too like disabled SD card slot... It tells us a lot of new stuff, but not the final configuration.

What are your thoughts on the specs? Isn't a 2Ghz CPU and 1tflop GPU way over the EG clocks ? Pleased to hear it has 4GB's of RAM but isn't the bandwidth going to be an issue?

Big props to Vern on the RAM amount, RAM availability for games and the lack of a browser at least at launch. We have a new Nintendo insider ;)

Schnozberry

"Not quite" is probably putting it gently. Maxwell is more efficient than the GCN 1.1-1.2 like parts in the PS4/XBO, but not so much that a 500Gflop mobile chip would come near a 1.3Tflop GCN part. And then consider 25GB/s bandwidth instead of 68 main memory, 102GB/s eSRAM bandwidth.

The Xbox One has a lot more shaders to feed, and doesn't have the memory advantages that the 2nd Gen Maxwell and Pascal have with tiled rasterization. If Nintendo gets their cache setup right, memory bandwidth won't be the primary bottleneck.

Rodin

Alright then tech NeoGAF, how much more powerful is this than a Wii U in docked mode as I don't plan on using portable mode much at all, if ever. Still safe to say 2-5x a Wii U in docked mode but still just missing Xbox One performance?
Under no circumstances it would be 5x Wii U. 3x, maybe close to 4x in favourable circumstances seems more likely, but could be a bit less. In any case, it's a considerably more powerful console than Wii U, it's better even when undocked.

RAM bandwidth and CPU aren't that great compared to what we expected if the DF leaked clocks and all the info from this chart are still valid, but the Wii U ports still show significant upgrades that don't seem to match some of the details, so who knows.

I'd say if we don't get a Direct announced for this week (probably on Thursday) then there won't be one before launch.

I believe we'll get a launch direct the week before release (next week), they need to talk about the OS, which wasn't covered at all at the event, and possibly show a bit more about launch window games (they showed more than enough about Zelda, but some extra details on other games - like sp Bomberman for example - would be neat).

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Eh keep in mind this is still info from July. It doesn't even have the clock rates reported by DF.

It's very strange to be completely dismissing the Foxconn leak, considering everything they got right.

Because the clocks reported by DF were send by Nintendo later, it's right there in the DF article.

Documentation supplied to developers along with the table above ends with this stark message: "The information in this table is the final specification for the combinations of performance configurations and performance modes that applications will be able to use at launch."

Hattori

Banned
Technically we knew there'd be new Mii options, including that they'd be in the settings menu. It was hidden in like one article though as an answer to a question I believe Kotaku asked.
I hope they'll be more miitomo-like or better yet integrate Miitomo

but they do think it's unlikely to change. expect the worst and be positively surprised if it's better than that :)

Very reasonable way to look at it, yes. But the fact is the Foxconn leak is also too accurate to be outright ignored, so we have to at least consider it could be based on newer info.

so the DF leaks were from early year and not the updated devkits from October... right?

We don't know when DF got the clock speed info, though I think someone who heard from them said "Fall". But again, DF did not share or get any specifications info except for the clock speeds. The specs they shared were from the July devkits and they had said Nintendo briefed developers (in July) with these specs. Which the OP confirms.

We don't know what the updated October devkits have.

Because the clocks reported by DF were send by Nintendo later, it's right there in the DF article.

Again I don't think anyone is arguing that DF's clock speeds were incorrect. They may be out of date for post launch, or they may be what the Switch runs at for its lifetime. The more interesting part of the Foxconn leak to me is what it says about the actual final hardware configuration, rather than the clock speeds. Which DF does not claim to have info on.

moai

so going by the settings menu you can change language and region of the console. good for people importing from japan or other countries.

mario_O

We just don't know what process node and final clocks are for this device. This leak for instance says that the CPU is 2GHz and the GPU is 512GFLOPs, but we know it isn't, we just don't know what the final clocks are, but we have 2 potential candidates;

Eurogamer leak, At least somewhat connected to this document: A57 1ghz 4 core CPU with 768mhz 2SM Maxwell GPU (393gflops, or about 4 times Wii U in single precision and around 680gflops in mixed precision)

Foxconn leak: A72 1.78ghz 4 core CPU with 921mhz 2SM 16nm Nvidia GPU 472gflops (almost 5 times Wii U in single precision and around 800gflops in mixed precision)

you're looking at the wrong column of the chart.

LordOfChaos

The Xbox One has a lot more shaders to feed, and doesn't have the memory advantages that the 2nd Gen Maxwell and Pascal have with tiled rasterization. If Nintendo gets their cache setup right, memory bandwidth won't be the primary bottleneck.

Nintendo has always paid a lot of attention to the bandwidth chain post N64, so maybe it won't be, I hope not. But I was just pointing out the different class of machine, even if Maxwell was fully twice as memory efficient as GCN 1.? (it's not that extreme). "not quite" XBO level is putting it lightly, was my point.

Some new info: Nintendo is expanding its online network and offers a library called Network Extension (NEX).

Matchmaking:
  • This feature matches players for multiplayer games. It can be used to bring players together based on matching criteria from among unspecified numbers of users, or to create groups among friends only. Groups can be created temporarily for a multiplayer game, or they can be created as lasting entities usable as communities.
Ranking:
  • This feature uploads scores so users can get the relative rankings. Rankings can be calculated for only a certain period of time, or for only the scores of players registered in a certain group, and the score information can be periodically reset.
Data Store:
  • This is a network storage feature. Any data can be optionally saved to the game server. This saved data can be tagged, searched, and appended with ratings and the like.
Subscriber:
  • This is a messaging feature based on the publish-subscribe pattern. It can be used to post messages on certain topics, poll for posts on certain topic, and otherwise share information within the application.

This my be the primary reason we're being asked to pay for online services now

Am I the only one who saw this? Lol

Man I want Nintendo to explain it to us so bad with visuals! Please Nintendo Direct this week!

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Matchmaking:
Ranking:
Data Store:
Subscriber:

Good find.

Sendou

I believe we'll get a launch direct the week before release (next week), they need to talk about the OS, which wasn't covered at all at the event, and possibly show a bit more about launch window games (they showed more than enough about Zelda, but some extra details on other games - like sp Bomberman for example - would be neat).

Yeah maybe something like Wii U:

65332b69d1.png

It came out on 18th so small gap.

Oregano

Matchmaking:
Ranking:
Data Store:
Subscriber:

Hopefully this means we have a more unified experience across games. These features are hopefully simple to implement.

Not quite is pushing it pretty hard. There is still a large gap between Xbox One and Switch.

Everything about Switch seems just so rushed to market in time for their fiscal year end.

Many said last year that Nintendo were keeping the wraps on Switch until the last minute, because of unique features that they were concerned the competition would copy. But really, they've shown nothing that the competition could/would want to copy. PS4/XBO aren't suddenly going to become handhelds and HD rumble isn't something that everyone has been crying out for.
Not quite is pushing it pretty hard. There is still a large gap between Xbox One and Switch.
Indeed, particularly in GPU power, rather than CPU. Also only half the RAM.

Top Bottom