• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which game releases feels to you as event

opricnik

Banned
Uncharted-2-wallpaper.jpg

Uncharted for me obviously, it feels like Star Wars of Gaming Industry, all marketing, glorious trailers then action packed family ride in the end.

It's also surreal UC1 was such a niche game and bad to be honest, then UC2 comes changes everything.UC2-UC3-UC4 even VITA release was very memorable events.
nolan-north-720x340.jpg

LordDisco

Neo Member
I'm not quite understanding your initial question, but I'm assuming you're asking "What game releases excite you when announced at events?" Or something along those lines.

If that's the case, usually strong franchises that I'm invested in. The Legend of Zelda and Metroid franchises will always get me jumping out of my seat, even if Nintendo announces lackluster side-games in the franchises (e.g. Metroid Prime Pinball, Triforce Heroes, etc).

I'm really hoping Nintendo announces a new and proper Metroid game at e3. I'll be disappointed, if not, but if they do, I'll lose my mind! Give it to me, Nintendo!

Yohane

A new mainline Final Fantasy will be always a huge event for me. Been part of my life since elementary school.

Too bad XV was underwhelming

Ertai

CoD's release is an event for me every year. Call it a guilty pleasure. I pick up some Mountain Dew and Doritoes, take the day off and spend it on the campaign. Great stuff.

jts

...hate me...
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune was great and the big reason why there was so much hype around its sequel.

Chiramii

New World of Warcraft expansions was always huge. Couldn't care less about the game today but a new expansion release made midnight lanes even in rural areas around my parts, which is kinda crazy.

Can't get more event-like than Zero Time Dilemma's teaser, announcement, and release. We're talking about 16 months of continuous speculation and hype. On mobile so can't write up a detailed retrospective, but basically Zero Escape is a story-based series, the second entry of which ended in a cliffhanger. The third entry (ZTD) was put on hiatus in 2014, which made fans eventually organize Operation Bluebird, a social media campaign aiming to show developers that there was demand for Zero Escape 3. There was a teaser called 4infinity put up online by Aksys in March 2015, and Zero Escape 3 was announced on the 3rd of July that year. It came out in June 2016.

...To think that the game itself ended up being so shit, sigh.

The older I get, the less game releases feel like "events"

Although I think another GTA would be about the only game that would become an "event" for me

hemo memo

Gold Member
Metal Gear (in the past but not anymore)
Mainline:
Pokemon
Zelda
Mario
Final Fantasy
Anything from Rockstar

Giga Man

Smash Bros. releases always feel like events. Whenever one comes out, I try and make an effort to gather all my friends together ASAP, and I'm always there for the midnight releases.

It always used to be Football Manager for me. I have memories of one year buying it on my way to work. The game was sitting on my desk teasing me throughout my day, until I could leave early and play it!

Another year I upgraded the ram in my PC days before launch, just so it would run well with a larger database.

This addiction only changed when I met my wife. Weekends where 20+ hours were spent leading Dover Athletic to glory (mediocrity) are a thing of the past. Never missed an iteration from Championship Manager 93 to Football Manager 2007, which was the last one I bought.

Chao

This is definitely a Zelda game.
It takes so long for a new mainline Zelda to come out after the last one that makes it special everytime

redcrayon

You could probably list most of the series that non-gamers have heard of as 'event' launches.
Mario, CoD, GTA, Zelda etc.

In terms of ones that are an 'event' to me, its Monster Hunter. It's the only online game I play, and I associate a new title with a pleasant summer of working my way through it before putting it down once the autumn nights draw in.

Chinbo37

Botw and doom are the only games I've bought shortly after release recently.

Both felt like pretty big events

amanset

To quote myself from a while ago (here).

Zelda:OoT was released on December 11th in Europe. I was living in London at the time and due to not taking any time off and not being able to hold holiday days over to the next year I ended up taking the whole of December off. I hadn't had an N64 for that long and was a bit new to console gaming so didn't know that you really had to book stuff.

It was a Friday and I decided just to head into Central London to see if I could find a copy. Everywhere was sold out. Everywhere. Eventually I went to Hamley's as at the time they had a tiny videogame section on the top floor. No one was there apart from a lone employee who confirmed that she had copies in the back. As she went to fetch me one a wave of people appeared asking me if they had a copy, eventually forming a large queue at the checkout. Eventually she asked "what is this game you all after" to which someone called out "it is the best game ever made".

On the way home it seemed like everyone I saw was carrying a copy. I'd never seen anything like it.

That felt like an event.

Zelda and Mario, since they're among the best and most influential games ever, and they've been getting regular releases for the past 30 years.

Top Bottom