• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

NotLiquid

has someone claimed the OT yet? you doing it?

Nah. I dunno who's making it (I think it's DaBoss) but it won't be me. The original Splatoon OT was loads of fun but quite a handful to make/maintain - despite most people opting to hang out in the Discord I had to re-upload the entire OT a few weeks ago because Protomouse's optimized links are all dead, and I don't think I'm enough on GAF or the Splatoon Discord for me to be worthy of it. There's plenty of other more dedicated SplatGafers who would no doubt end up doing better upkeep than I would.

I had a lot of fun doing the original OT though. It was my second OT ever and it'll probably be my last. I hope I managed to encapsulate the energy and enthusiasm people had for what at the time was Nintendo's first new, real triple-A IP in ages (even if people had to suffer my shitty pun for the first OT as a subtitle - that actually made me a little sad not gonna lie lol). If whoever is making the OT for Splatoon 2 wants help with it, particularly graphics stuff or writing, I'm willing to lend them a helping hand.

phanphare

Banned
Nah. I dunno who's making it (I think it's DaBoss) but it won't be me. The original Splatoon OT was loads of fun but quite a handful to make/maintain - despite most people opting to hang out in the Discord I had to re-upload the entire OT a few weeks ago because Protomouse's optimized links are all dead, and I don't think I'm enough on GAF or the Splatoon Discord for me to be worthy of it. There's plenty of other more dedicated SplatGafers who would no doubt end up doing better upkeep than I would.

I had a lot of fun doing the original OT though. It was my second OT ever and it'll probably be my last. I hope I managed to encapsulate the energy and enthusiasm people had for what at the time was Nintendo's first new, real triple-A IP in ages (even if people had to suffer my shitty pun for the first OT as a subtitle - that actually made me a little sad not gonna lie lol). If whoever is making the OT for Splatoon 2 wants help with it, particularly graphics stuff or writing, I'm willing to lend them a helping hand.

ok cool no worries, wasn't trying to pressure you ;p

J@hranimo

Banned

I've enjoyed your OTs for Splatoon as time went on. They were vibrant and inviting to read, thanks for taking the time to do them! Also Daboss is doing the Splatoon 2 OT.

Toadsili T

Neo Member
Let's see if we can get this to pg 400 before Splatoon 2

So... I've been thinking about trying to play this game in squads and/or Solo Q in the leadup to Splatoon 2's release. Last night was a particularly bad rotation though; got matched up against 4 Kraken Weapons on Rig (2 CRBs, a Custom E-Litre, and the Kraken Sploosh), and all wearing QR. Next game was no better; 3 CRBs on one team. :/

I'll keep at it up until the game's end, but I can't wait for this meta to go away and we can move onto something better.

Still want to see if I can take a stab at reaching S+99 before the game's end.

Renewed

That sounds especially rough. I got my Gamepad sorted and working so I also started back up and already getting bopped in Turf War by the ol' Dynamo backed by a Bamboozler at all times. You'd think it wouldn't work but I swore I saw my teammates suffer the sad fate.

Toadsili T

Neo Member
That sounds especially rough. I got my Gamepad sorted and working so I also started back up and already getting bopped in Turf War by the ol' Dynamo backed by a Bamboozler at all times. You'd think it wouldn't work but I swore I saw my teammates suffer the sad fate.

Bamboo IMO was always an incredibly slept-on weapon. It definitely has a higher skill floor than most other chargers due to the one-two punch, and going for the Pseudo-OHKO with 35+ DMG Up made it way too gear dependent. But that range and charge speed in the right hands is absolutely deadly.

Wondering how they'll tweak them in Splatoon 2 now that Damage Up is gone. :/

Bamboo IMO was always an incredibly slept-on weapon. It definitely has a higher skill floor than most other chargers due to the one-two punch, and going for the Pseudo-OHKO with 35+ DMG Up made it way too gear dependent. But that range and charge speed in the right hands is absolutely deadly.

Wondering how they'll tweak them in Splatoon 2 now that Damage Up is gone. :/

At least the Squiffer vs Bamboo matchup won't be as skewed towards the Bamboo now.

But yes, I'm on the verge of deranking thanks to silly shenanigans in team comp (among other things =P), so I really don't want to play ranked, but the modes are so fun most of the time. Hmmmm.

Toadsili T

Neo Member
At least the Squiffer vs Bamboo matchup won't be as skewed towards the Bamboo now.

Squiffer was always in a super awkward spot. It never had the range of the Splatterscope+ line, it couldn't use DMG Up shenanigans for partial charges, it got outplayed by Range Blasters for short-mid OHKO dominance, and the Bamboo ate it from the other end by having more mobility and much faster charge time to make the squiff's OHKO mute.

Going to be really interesting how the tweak the relationship between the two. Goo Tuber already exists for super long charge time; what else could they do?

TBH, the Squiffer and the E-liter had the most satisfying sound when shooting. I really hope Squiffer at least can compete in range or at least has a bit more movement speed. That's all the S1 Squiffer needed IMO. Pretty sure Ryechu agrees with that.

E-liter might need slightly shortened charge times? Not sure, but damageless E-liter is hard. Funny enough, I can see the unscoped version being just as popular as the scoped one.

Toadsili T

Neo Member
TBH, the Squiffer and the E-liter had the most satisfying sound when shooting. I really hope Squiffer at least can compete in range or at least has a bit more movement speed. That's all the S1 Squiffer needed IMO. Pretty sure Ryechu agrees with that.

E-liter might need slightly shortened charge times? Not sure, but damageless E-liter is hard. Funny enough, I can see the unscoped version being just as popular as the scoped one.

I think in the past when we have discussed this, slightly faster charging time is probably what it needs to be a true "middle class" between the standard Splat Charger and the Bamboo. A touch faster mobility also couldn't hurt.

E-Litres (and all chargers actually) now could probably get away with having the range cap removed prior to 100% charge, now that partial charge kills aren't really possible in the same way as before. I mean, I'll never forget how busted old E-Litre with FOUR Burst Bombs and Damage Up was... they had to do SOMETHING without taking DMG Up out.

Now that they have... well...

Toadsili T

Neo Member
"Splatoon is a good game" - James 2012
Ah James. Man, where ever you are, we miss you and have never forgotten about you. We still hope you'll rock up back for Splatoon 2 for even more fun times, but if not, we understand life has its way of doing things. Good luck out there with whatever you do.

If you do decide to rock up to the Discord again, though, we have a wonderful present for you. :)

Toadsili T

Neo Member
So, Toad, are you going to use the .96 again if they fixed the phantom bullets? =P

Only IF they fixed the phantom bullets. Otherwise...

IMG_1598.PNG

I'm just interested to feel the rumble on the .96 if that's a thing. Sprinkler .96 is gonna be so good in 2.

Anywho, distracted thoughts on the .96 aside, I'm hoping that the netcode displays the swimming animation of enemies better since I notice a lot of opposing squids have this innate Ninja Squid to them for a time, at least with my 'net. =(

Doorman

So, Toad, are you going to use the .96 again if they fixed the phantom bullets? =P
Magical noncorporeal bullets are the only reason I ever put the original .96 down and I've always been kind of confused and bitter about it. This much time later it's still my most-inked weapon and the closest thing to a main that I ever had.

If they fixed that oddity in Splatoon 2 I will be back on it for sure. Armor's a suitable replacement for Echo although I preferred the latter. On the other hand, ink armor is probably going to screw over .96 users trying to fight against it. At least now the damage numbers are normalized and the .96 won't have to worry about needing damage up to counter any defense. I wonder if they'll bump it back up to its original 64 damage, or keep it at 52? It always struck me that they only bumped it down in the first place so that defense could be used against it at all.

Jims

Goodbye original Splatoon. I've never gotten into a shooter before because I dislike realistic violence and gore in my video games, so this game was such a joy to play. I think I always secretly wanted Nintendo to make a game like this, looking back on it. Ended up putting 360 hours into this game, which has to be up there all-time for me (if not #1 now). Gonna move onto Splatoon 2, but the original is always going to be one of those special games when I look back on it. Would love to see Flounder Heights, Kelp Dome, and Piranha Pit return for the next one.

Last thing I did was roll a triple on my Clownfish Basics. Thanks Spyke. :)

Top Bottom