• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHA-Lambda

This quote from the GS review is the most damning IMO

in particular:

THIS is what I was talking about in the trial thread, and was told it wouldn't happen in the main game it's only a few quests etc. It's an issue. The sidequest designs in this game is very uninspired to say the least.

So it IS DA:I

With the way EA marketed Andromeda I knew something was fishy with the game.

I'll try it out for myself Tuesday but those scores aren't surprising to me.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
People acting like a 6 (or even 7) is a 2 will never stop being hilarious.

Neolombax

Can't say I'm surprised, given the mixed impressions from various sources. I still am super interested to play this though...

I'm currently maybe 5 hours into Horizon...but I have a greater desire to play Andromeda despite reading about its flaws...isn't that odd?

Meowster

Mid seventies was about where I saw it going after all those impressions and the big thread on animation bugs. A big decline from Inquisition and the previous Mass Effect games but still decent enough for me. If it dips below 70 though..

Nekrono

As many predicted... a very divisive game. Some love it, other's kinda hate it.

I know I'll love it though, I love the scanning feature since it gives me more lore to consume.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
But, I will say this, EA really went out on a limb with this game and the TEN HOUR trial this past weekend and that really takes some guts. It really showed (most of) us that the game is not good, but hey they let us try it early. I know that betas are a thing and this felt like a beta but supposedly it's the full game. It's impressive they believed in the game that much.

Now if only it were actually good...

giphy.gif

They had to. Not giving access would have done just as much damage if not more so.

"hey remember that one feature we promised to give you with Origin/EA Access?"

Yeah

"well for this game you won't get it!"

WHY?!

TI82

Banned
Well someone likes it at least...

Stevivor.com - 9.5

We had a dude literally attacking and berating people in the trial thread for not liking it. The Mass Effect series for some reason attracts... interesting people to say the least. So yes, there is surely to be one or two people who love the game. But there are also people who love to eat capn crunch sandwiches but maybe they aren't the people we should cater our dining experiences to.

So it IS DA:I

Yeah, that game and this have really cemented that Bioware is a dead company. Don't pine for KOTOR III because they would just make it a scan and fetch quest.

They had to. Not giving access would have done just as much damage if not more so.

"hey remember that one feature we promised to give you with Origin/EA Access?"

Yeah

"well for this game you won't get it!"

WHY?!

I didn't know it was a promised feature so it was out of the blue for me. I also don't subscribe to these kind of things regularly. Only Humble Monthly because it's so insanely worth it.

Sanctuary

THIS is what I was talking about in the trial thread, and was told it wouldn't happen in the main game it's only a few quests etc. It's an issue. The sidequest designs in this game is very uninspired to say the least.

So it really is exactly what many thought it would be when the game was first announced as open world; Mass Effect: Inquisition?
These reviews aren't going to sway me in terms of buying it, since I already preordered, but I might actually wait for a patch or two before playing it.

Venture Beat: 55/100

Games have to fit into our lives, and that’s not always fair. Mass Effect: Andromeda might’ve worked a decade ago on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, but it doesn’t work in a world that is delivering games like Horizon: Zero Dawn, Nier: Automata, and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. In this reality, BioWare’s latest role-playing game is old, broken, and often boring.

Worst of all, it’s going to disappoint fans of the Mass Effect series.

389eb6e78b.gif

Shoot, I really overestimated Bioware's capability to put out a consistent game on this one. Really didn't expect this to score below 8 despite the shitstorm.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Despite some of the lower scores, the praise seems to land mostly on Characters, Combat and Story - I can get past the jank, it really doesn't bother me: oh, and I really enjoy the scanning; for reals.

Edit: The MP wasn't taken into account for nearly all of these reviews....and I found that to be the best thing in the game: surely it should be?

Freeman76

Looks like the haters are right this time. Bioware clearly dont know what makes their games great to us all. There must be a major disconnect between their dev team and their fans for this to happen. I know the score isnt pathetic but come on, this is ME and we are used to so much more. I thought this was a guaranteed hit so I paid 54.99 on PSN for this, excitement deflated.

Rozart

One hell of a fall from grace. 3 games at 90+ and this one will be lucky to hit 80.

Yeah, it's really disheartening. The ME franchise was one of last-gen's generation-defining games for me.

I'm hoping that it'll crack the low 80s at least.

eggandI

Banned
Lol yep. This is Mass Effect: Inquisition, as expected. It really seems like all the top talent has left Bioware or something. Yet another RPG dev gone to shit

Lakitu

st5fu
Man, disappointing. I was expecting 8s with a couple of 9s. I don't know whether to hold off and wait for it to go down in price.

Ascenion

People acting like a 6 (or even 7) is a 2 will never stop being hilarious.

On a grading scale, and let's be honest that's really what a review scale is, a 6 or a 7 is not ideally what you want. It's not bad by any means but it says you could've done so much better.

I knew it. I fucking knew this would happen.

First Mirror's Edge now Mass Effect.

DIE, OPEN WORLD, YOU DON'T BELONG IN THIS GALAXY

Open World is something that is really, REALLY hard to do right, and very easy to do wrong where you end up with filler or empty stretches.

Open world games can be absolutely amazing, see Witcher 3, but I really wish most studios would go back to make more linear, focused experiences than stretching themselves too thin.

I'll take master-crafted corridors and small areas over a mediocre open world any day.

@Scores: So much for the 'toxic NeoGAF hatewagon overexaggerates issues that are not important', eh. Looks like I missed a good chance to do some avatar bets.

A-V-B

Lol yep. This is Mass Effect: Inquisition, as expected. It really seems like all the top talent has left Bioware or something. Yet another RPG dev gone to shit

Andromeda was developed by a somewhat rookie b-team. The majority of the Mass Effect team still remaining at EA is working on a brand new IP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom