• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 |OT| Dragons & Dungeon Mastering

Bizzquik

How are the production values versus something like Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity...?

I've really struggled to get far with PoE because it seems less than half the dialogue is spoken, the isometric camera feels like its placed from two rooms away (even when zoomed), and the graphics are too intentionally old-school (cough low budget cough) for my liking.

Any chance Larian Studios' D:OS2 is more polished than PoE?

Naito

A point I would make based on how my encounters went in OS - given my desire to use lots of elemental damage and combos I found whenever I had melee characters they weren't as effective because of the sheer volume of shock, fire, ice, etc that was on the 'board'.

I rolled 2 wizard types, a bow/magic cross, and a stealth/crossbow group so they could all fight ranged.

This may have been rebalanced for OS2, but I can see the concern with regards to the use of an up close fighter amongst so many AoE spells and the volatile nature of the combos

D:OS 2 has a physical/magical armor mechanic in place to avoid insta-stun scenarios (no "insta stun with Hail Strike on first turn" scenario) For the release build, not present in EA, they balanced it further adding an intermediate step (no longer insta Stunned or Frozen when magic armor depletes, but you are Shocked / Chilled first).

Stunned = Shocked two times
Frozen = Chilled two times

AoE spam/"surface pollution" is something you have to coordinate in coop: in my experience, when you play a very aggressive and egoistical offensive caster, you give a good amount of headaches to your melee teammates (you fuck up the sneak/invisibility of the rogue, warrior is perhaps in the middle of a glorious detonation, tank gets cut out from the mobs and requires an alternative path, etc.). In singleplayer it is far more efficient and easier since you dictate the positioning of all your characters without complaints. What is actually most dangerous, are weapons with elemental damage: they interact with any surface they are standing in, creating hilarious situations.

Santiako

How are the production values versus something like Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity...?

I've really struggled to get far with PoE because it seems less than half the dialogue is spoken, the isometric camera feels like its placed from two rooms away (even when zoomed), and the graphics are too intentionally old-school (cough low budget cough) for my liking.

Every single line is voiced and the camera is fully controlable.

Kalentan

Should I bother completing the original game before playing this or no?

Will the story make less sense if I skip the first?

I actually kickstarted this a while back.

Have you played the first game?

They're quite different from the artstyle to gameplay mechanics. Everything in Divinity is rendered in 3D compared to static 2D backgrounds in PoE. Therefore, you'll be able to zoom in and out or move around the camera to your liking. Other than that, most dialogues in Divinity OS 2 will be fully voiced.

Should I bother completing the original game before playing this or no?

Will the story make less sense if I skip the first?

I actually kickstarted this a while back.

They're set in the same world but in a totally different time.

Divinity Original Sin games are part of the Divinity franchise which includes several games.

? yes he does. I have him as a ranger and he still has pet pal. He always has pet pal in my games (which makes sense considering his wolf summon). You can even find people whining on the steam forums about it because it's not "fair".

See my correction a few posts below, it is true that he gets pet pal for free but only as a companion(playing as him doesn't give you the additional pet pal, I tried a bunch of time) and if you pick wayfarer you basically lose a talent since he only gets pet pal instead of pet pal+something else. It's possible it's a feature but a poorly implemented one if that's the case, so I'm leaning more towards it being a bug where the default files gives him Pet Pal from his base preset Wayfarer by mistake. We'll see when they release, if he gets it for free it's kinda whatever I guess, just need to have him as a companion for that(unless they fix it to give him 3 starting talents when you select him as a MC).

Doc_Drop

D:OS 2 has a physical/magical armor mechanic in place to avoid insta-stun scenarios (no "insta stun with Hail Strike on first turn" scenario) For the release build, not present in EA, they balanced it further adding an intermediate step (no longer insta Stunned or Frozen when magic armor depletes, but you are Shocked / Chilled first).

Stunned = Shocked two times
Frozen = Chilled two times

AoE spam/"surface pollution" is something you have to coordinate in coop: in my experience, when you play a very aggressive and egoistical offensive caster, you give a good amount of headaches to your melee teammates (you fuck up the sneak/invisibility of the rogue, warrior is perhaps in the middle of a glorious detonation, tank gets cut out from the mobs and requires an alternative path, etc.). In singleplayer it is far more efficient and easier since you dictate the positioning of all your characters without complaints.
Ah I see, thanks for the advice. Much more open to a varied party in that case.

Seriously wish I could have an 8 person party haha

Staf

It's a crime against humanity to play a CRPG on a console

anigif_enhanced-12042-1426591065-2.gif

Carcetti

It's been an amazing year for games but I don't really 'anticipate' games these days anymore, just play them as they come. But this is an exception. I'm shaking from anticipation here!

faer0n

Which classes/Parties are you planing to Roll with?

I am thinking about some Inquisitor for my Main with melee and necro, mage with summoning and healing, Tank, maybe a bow/xbow mage hybrid as the 4.

Sarcasm

I am thinking about some Inquisitor for my Main with melee and necro, mage with summoning and healing, Tank, maybe a bow/xbow mage hybrid as the 4.

I am definitely not going cookie cutter like in OS1.

Sevenfold

Should I be concerned that my Kickstarter CE still hasn't shipped?

I went full moron and forgot to fill my address in on the Larian Vault. Thought that it would transfer from Paypal. Only realised I'd missed the reminder when I saw people posting about shipping emails. Had to contact support. All good, but I'll get my CE after everyone's has shipped. I ordered in Sep '15. Lessons were learned.

Thank fuck I can play!

Dredd97

It's a fucking crime against humanity that this isn't on the console considering how fucking good OS1 port was :(.

It has full controller support built in..

that should give you an indication where this will be next year :)

Doc_Drop

Thanks for the quick replies!

Is it slow-paced then?
There is also a great deal of conversation and problem solving using conversation and items, skills, somewhat abstract thinking.

It's not really, go here, kill this, do that

There's many ways to complete quests/tasks

Sevenfold

Yeah...yeah

Save hard and save often (if you're a bit of a save scummer like me)

I'm a 'do it and be legends' type of player. If I save scummed I'd do nothing else!

Why wait ten minutes to hit the end turn button?

You should believe in yourself more.

There are two AP left!!! There are 3 enemy cards before my healer. My tank is boned in about 3 turns. So much armour! Oh now the whole fucking room is on fire, it's ok I'll move... Oh great knocked down. Healer!!! When did my fucking healer die?!
AdrianMonkWipe.gif

"Ok, let's move closer in so I can hit that guy with Flurry..."

manfallsonicegif1.gif

Crikey that head bounce :/

kafiend

There are two AP left!!! There are 3 enemy cards before my healer. My tank is boned in about 3 turns. So much armour! Oh now the whole fucking room is on fire, it's ok I'll move... Oh great knocked down. Healer!!! When did my fucking healer die?!

This is how I usually end up considering a battle, although also along with "who's the complete idiot that set the room on fire?" "you did... you idiot!"

Naito

I have three playthroughs programmed (!):

- singleplayer run: this one will be dedicated to delve into the lore and origin characters. I will play as Fane and recruit Red Prince, Lohse and Sebille. I will keep them with their default presets (aside Lohse, will probably turn her into a Ranger preset) because that somehow feels lore-friendly to do (it feels odd and sort of wrong to turn the Red Prince into an Enchanter or Lohse into a Knight).

- "serious" coop playthrough: a run with a close-knit group, we already went through EA together. Now that everyone got acquainted with the mechanics and party roles, we should be less chaotic, more efficient, a well-oiled machine!
Actually everyone will just do as they please, aggro left and right, and loot everything that is feasible.
For this run, I will roll as an Elven Ranger archetype (I am fascinated by the Huntsman/Scoundrel/Warfare/Pyro/Poly build, looked extremely efficient with Marksman's Fang setup and Arrow Storm ).

- "less serious" coop playthrough: a run with another close-knit group comprised of newcomers to the series and genre. This will probably end up being the "serious" coop run in the long run, since the players are intrigued by the role-play opportunities and less min/maxing your character to achieve the best composition. I will probably roll as a supporting/healing caster to make life easier for everyone.

Sevenfold

This is how I usually end up considering a battle, although also along with "who's the complete idiot that set the room on fire?" "you did... you idiot!"

Self inflicted destruction due to stupidity. I'm well seasoned.

There will be so many new players this evening wiping their whole team with a confused look on their faces before going "Oh so that's what that does."

Or the first time you use your teleporting sandals to get one of your team to skip an encounter and feeling really boss... Only to realise you forgot to unlink them from the rest of your group and they are now steaming through the enemy camp.

Top Bottom