• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Monolith Soft run over Square-Enix with 'X'?

jaxword

LR bombing isn't going to finish SE. Read what fates said and the ones you quoted carefully.

The idea that a company suffering a massive financial loss will make them instantly start producing amazing quality material is an amazing leap of logic.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That's exactly the notion this thread is playing off of. Square is the behemoth with the legacy, yet Monolithsoft's FIRST HD reveal has 10x more hype than all that Lightning shit that keeps getting shoved down our throats. That's what makes this hilarious.

Pretty much this. I love FF games, just not the recent ones. I feel like Square needs to go back to formula and figure out what made people like FF in the first place, then just expand on that.

LuuKyK

The idea that a company suffering a massive financial loss will make them instantly start producing amazing quality material is an amazing leap of logic.

These doomsayers are the worst. Dont give them any promo jaxword. The game will be as good as any fan expect it to be and SE will forever grace us with an amazing plethora of different final fantasies. :) Be postive as I am and these guys wont affect you, believe me.

jaxword

The idea that Square would one day make a game like ATB was also once far fetch'd.

Not really. People like to forget some of the shovelware that Square produced in the 90s. Did anyone REALLY like "Chocobo world" or still frantically look for Ehrgeiz fans online to argue with and do speedruns with?

Anyone remember these Square classics and rage at the loss?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeZYb1dOSSg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMHCFkqCQEA

Or the fact that Final Fantasy 1 was ported/remade five times before they even started talking to Enix?

nib95

Banned
I'd probably wait to see FFv XIII before making judgement....having said that, compared to SE's recent offerings, absolutely.

AdroitOne

Neo Member
Wow lets not get carried away here....

Monolith Soft , as amazing as some of you want to believe, have released one excellent rpg and have also released some not so good titles.

Square Enix has released a plethora of amazing rpg's throughout it's creation with some being the best in the genre. They are known for their JRPG's.

In no way do I think Monolith is on the level of Square Enix. They need a far larger studio and would need an amazing catalogue of jrpg's to be considered equal.

However I do agree on the notion that this game has pretty much embarrassed not only Square Enix but most third party developers in Japan. They have had 6 years to create one open world JRPG and they have all failed. This generation I would put Monolith's output above Square Enix if we are strictly talking home consoles as I think FF13 and its counterparts are mediocre if not bad.

It could easily change in the future though. I think Versus has far more potential than any of their previous games and even X to be honest.

Everything I have seen about Versus, the music, the gameplay, the characters, and everything I have read about the story, over world and other decisions has cemented it as my most anticipated RPG. Bearing in mind that the last time we saw gameplay was two years ago I am expecting quite an improvement when it is next shown.

So far X does seem like Xenoblade however I still think Versus will be better than Xenoblade. The music, art direction and gameplay (to a lesser extent) in Xeno are all top notch but I did not like the story or characters at all. ( I do place a lot of importance on story in JRPG's). I know we have not seen much of this game but if Xenoblade is anything to go by it does not instill excitement.

I think all this has done is pressure Square Enix in showing us Versus again.

Didn't really want to get into this SE vs Monolithsoft debate, but I have to defend MonolithSoft here. MonolithSoft was also behind on of my favorite RPG series of all time: Baten Kaitos. Baten Kaitos and Baten Kaitos Origins are among the best RPGs I've ever played. They also did Namco X Capcom, Project X Zone, and Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier. Way more quality than stinkers. :)

Squire

Banned

LR would be a massive financial loss? They're using assets and resources for the third time. What we know of the gameplay suggests the game is notably short for a FF, so likely much less content.

Nothing about LR suggests SE has dug very deep into pockets.

SE needs a big management shake up.

During the PS1 days they were the kings of JRPG with FF, Xenogears, Mana, Chrono on the Square side and DQ, SO on the Enix side

During the PS2 days they were still a big force to be reckoned with as FF, DQ, SO, Mana, Xeno, etc were still pretty big franchises.

During this generation their games have suffered. FFXIV is a bomb and FFXIV v2.0 will probably still bobm. The FF name does not hold the same weigh anymore, in the west or in Japan. Their other franchises are non existent. They bought Quest but the Ogre franchise was never really utilized. The only reason they are not in worse shape is due to their western developer, Eidos and Dragon Quest.

I think Wada is driving this company to the ground.

skypunch

Banned
Pretty much this. I love FF games, just not the recent ones. I feel like Square needs to go back to formula and figure out what made people like FF in the first place, then just expand on that.

From recent interviews I've read with Takahashi and Kojima @ Monolith Soft, this is exactly what they're (Monolith Soft) are doing with their JRPGs. It's why Xenoblade had that magic and why I'm positive X will too. Monolith Soft just seem to have their heads screwed on and is the better managed company.

Whenever I think of SE, I just think of money-grabbing fucktards and think how anyone could even like that company. I know I shouldn't say that because I know there is talent there but it's the image they've made for themselves.

Chev

Isn't it precisely how they made the first FF though? Of course those were different times.
LR would be a massive financial loss? They're using assets and resources for the third time. What we know of the gameplay suggests the game is notably short for a FF, so likely much less content.

Nothing about LR suggests SE has dug very deep into pockets.
Yeah, those games are deliberately designed to be cheap to make and thus not need much to bring profit. Most of FF13's development was aimless so they have tons of assets they can cobble together to make new games.

Gravijah

Not really. People like to forget some of the shovelware that Square produced in the 90s. Did anyone REALLY like "Chocobo world" or still frantically look for Ehrgeiz fans online to argue with and do speedruns with?

Or the fact that Final Fantasy 1 was ported/remade five times before they even started talking to Enix?

Those games aren't shovelware. None of 'em.

CorvoSol

Well 1)Ergheiz was crazy popular at the time, so I don't know what you're saying there.
2)Square will always port and remake FF1 and FF4. But ports and remakes are neither here nor there.

And they're neither here nor there because what I'm talking about is a Final Fantasy game filled with micro transactions and bereft of content in any way, shape or form. ATB isn't a port, nor a fighter, nor anything of the sort. It's a pretty screen saver that asks you to feed it money.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Well Square will only get my attention if they make things comparable to Type 0 and Bravely Default.

That's all I have to say.

I'll be disappointed if BDFF is unable to be localized for any reason.

jaxword

Well 1)Ergheiz was crazy popular at the time, so I don't know what you're saying there.
2)Square will always port and remake FF1 and FF4. But ports and remakes are neither here nor there.

And they're neither here nor there because what I'm talking about is a Final Fantasy game filled with micro transactions and bereft of content in any way, shape or form. ATB isn't a port, nor a fighter, nor anything of the sort. It's a pretty screen saver that asks you to feed it money.

The inclusion of Cloud and Friends was a blatant cash grab. They didn't even have most of the FF7 cast in it until it got re-released and they realized people were just playing it on FF7's popularity ride. So they reskinned a bunch of characters with FF7 models and boom, the "FF7 fighting game".

Yes, it was big at the time, and that's definitely because of FF7, not because anyone gave a care about Ken "Godhand" Mishima and his amazing popularity.

As for the ports/remakes, they didn't really do much different. So they were doing the same thing back then as they did now: just use the name recognition to sell the same thing, regardless of improving the quality.

So Square was NOT shy about making blatant cash grabs back then.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Not really that far-fetched in a scenario where people want A and don't want B, but Square just makes B regardless. If Square loses money from doing B, then maybe they just go back on making A that people want.

Besides, I don't think anyone here really want SE to go bankrupt; they're just venting their frustration due to how Square handles stuff these days.

CorvoSol

The inclusion of Cloud and Friends was a blatant cash grab. They didn't even have most of the FF7 cast in it until it got re-released and they realized people were just playing it on FF7's popularity ride. So they reskinned a bunch of characters with FF7 models and boom, the "FF7 fighting game".

Yes, it was big at the time, and that's definitely because of FF7, not because anyone gave a care about Ken "Godhand" Mishima and his amazing popularity.

As for the ports/remakes, they didn't really do much different. So they were doing the same thing back then as they did now: just use the name recognition to sell the same thing, regardless of improving the quality.

So Square was NOT shy about making blatant cash grabs back then.

But you still got a complete game for what you bought. Ergheiz was still a full game, even if it was not the version you wanted. Ports and remakes were still full games, even if they were old games with a fresh coat of paint.

ATB is barely a game at all, has the much-beloved DLC characters and world scheme, and if you die, over which you have no real say, the game asks you if you want to pay real money for a new random chance at dying. The DLC characters, likewise, are randomly assorted, rather than allowing you to buy the one you want.

Ergheiz is comparable to Dissidia, not ATB. Nobody cares about the story in Dissidia, not really. They sure wouldn't if it wasn't a bunch of FF characters beating each other up. The thing is, though, in both cases Square was giving fans a product they wanted and could play for extended periods of time and have meaningful experiences in. ATB is just swipe swipe swipe for the twenty seconds you give a damn, 9 hours of waiting to reload or real money to continue.

And I must contest that remakes had no change in quality. If nothing else, a visual touch up and port to a new console is a change in quality. People want FFXHD because it will be visually different and on a new console. No changes in content have been announced to my knowledge, and folks rarely claim potential changes as their motive for desiring purchase.

So remakes and fanservice fighters are, to an extent, what people want and can enjoy for hours. Nobody wanted a game that asked you to pay or wait 9 hours to reload.

jaxword

But you still got a complete game for what you bought. Ergheiz was still a full game, even if it was not the version you wanted. Ports and remakes were still full games, even if they were old games with a fresh coat of paint.

ATB is barely a game at all, has the much-beloved DLC characters and world scheme, and if you die, over which you have no real say, the game asks you if you want to pay real money for a new random chance at dying. The DLC characters, likewise, are randomly assorted, rather than allowing you to buy the one you want.

And I must contest that remakes had no change in quality.

As for the remakes...not really. The early FF1 ports didn't really change a thing (minor upgrades for the different machines). It wasn't til the Wonderswan, and that was basically just graphical changes, and then every FF1 port since then has basically been the WS port.

If graphical changes = a change in quality, then ATB is a step up because it made lots of nice graphical changes to the 2d sprites.

I don't disagree that ATB is awful, but I think the majority of IoS games are awful too, so I'm not bothered. I mean, I saw how people loved fruit ninja when it was just swiping over and over and over forever. You could do the "randomly wave finger back and forth" and still win it for a while. I see ATB as pretty much the same thing.

From a business perspective, ATB is pretty much like most cheap IoS games, so I can totally understand some suit going "let's make something cheap and quick to get on the swiping fad."

It's not supposed to be a new Final Fantasy. It's not part of the mythos. It's just a stupid IoS 30 second game for the casual IoS gamer to play when bored while waiting on the bus.

Hardly the end of a company.

Top Bottom