• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys: The Oath in Felghana (PC/Steam) |OT|

Netto-kun

3 hours and almost done with
Icebound Cave

I noticed that the "Savior of Swine" achievement didn't unlock even though I gave Hugo all the Berm Leaves. The progress bar for the "Forever Alone" achievement didn't move either, yet it did for "That's the Last Time, Kid". I did a Steam client and game restart just to make sure, but still the same results.

Pyrrhus

Did you even read that Falcom approved the achievments images?

I don't have a problem with the achievement names myself. But to be fair, just because some Japanese people looked over the images and saw that they didn't involve Adol's head exploding in gore or him taking a dump or something else crazy like that and said, "Yeah, you can use those," doesn't mean that they understood, much less appreciated, the stock nerd pseudo-humor of Rage Comics memes. That sort of thing is very culturally and generationally specific.

I'm having a strange issue with the game where the image will blink out for a couple of seconds seemingly randomly. This is the only program I have that does this, so I don't think it's an issue of my display. Has anyone else encountered it?

Durante

Personally, I think the achievements are entertaining. Some of you take them way too seriously.

Yeha I had a full freeze last night as well and my system is rock solid. I was on a roll too :O
If any application is able to fully freeze your system it's not "rock solid".

Eusis

Of all the Eternal/Complete/whatever games on the PC, only Ys I Eternal (not Ys I Complete) runs in 256 colors. That was my main point. Ys I Complete was upgraded to be closer to Ys II Eternal's quality, which was much slicker. I just installed I & II Complete last night and it looks fantastic and has aged very well, so I don't think it's too "ancient" to be worth selling on Steam, if the price is right. IMO, it's prettier than Felghana - the 2D is very dense in detail and the colors are great. Much nicer to look at than repeating ground textures.
We have DOS games on Steam anyway, so I think the only technical area that matters is whether or not it'll run on modern OSes, and maybe not even that. At worst, I imagine it might need to be sold in a bundle with Origin or whatever, or capped at $10 or $5.

Kareha

Now that I found the config section, turned everything up to max and it looks so gorgeous with full AA. Even turned off Vsync as the laggy mouse was bothering me a bit, frame rates are over 800 ¬_¬

TheExodu5

Banned
A full system freeze certainly implies there's a deeper underlying issue. It could be something very weird in terms of game/driver interaction, of course.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Now that I found the config section, turned everything up to max and it looks so gorgeous with full AA. Even turned off Vsync as the laggy mouse was bothering me a bit, frame rates are over 800 ¬_¬

You can damage your video card doing that, I'd use d3doverider to handle your v-sync/triple buffering.

PSP version. I maxed my level out and don't remember sitting there for hours doing it.
If you didn't put the time into it, either you carried over levels from a New Game+ (where I'd imagine bosses could push you over) or you didn't get actually max level, as I'm pretty positive the leveling is the same in the PSP version (minus the New Game+ part).

I beat the first two bosses last night. They did feel a bit uninspired but I am guessing that is just to ease players into the game. Actually, I kept dying on the second boss when it had about 100 HP left. Couldn't get past it. So I loaded up my last save and decided to go grind or something, and it turned out that I somehow completely missed the chest with the Ruby in it and had been doing the boss without it. Once I got it it was so damn easy!

Blizzard

Banned
You might want to get D3DOverrider (part of the RivaTuner package, and you don't have to run RivaTuner), and use vsync + triple buffering to try to reduce mouse lag rather than being completely non-vsync'd. 800 fps MAY be fine on your card, but keep an eye on the temperatures since my system seems to get pretty hot when people make their menus run at 500 fps or whatever.

*edit* Darnit Sinatar, how did I not see that post.

Eusis

Though 800 FPS, damn, this seems like a great game to see just how 120/240hz refresh rate works for games. But, yeah, thirding D3DOverrider.

Volcynika

If you didn't put the time into it, either you carried over levels from a New Game+ (where I'd imagine bosses could push you over) or you didn't get actually max level, as I'm pretty positive the leveling is the same in the PSP version (minus the New Game+ part).

Would have to find my copy and see if I still have the save (might have lent it to a friend), but I did not do an NG+.

Kareha

Still a bit of mouse lag with D3DOverider but not as much as with the games own Vsync. GPU down to 35% usage so not running as hot as before :)

Just played for a good 30 mins. Really nice playing the game again, but, ouch, the hand cramp from playing on my laptop. Methinks I need to obtain a joypad.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Yeah, like I mentioned earlier, I just installed Ys I & II Complete, and with a little tweaking it works like a charm. Doesn't even need to be put into compatibility mode, and I don't even have the Vista-compatible versions.

I would think $10 for the two games would fly. There's much crappier deals on Steam.
It'd be great if that could happen, I'm hoping they have something in a different style planned after Origin before they announce VI.

Playing with a USB imitation Super Famicom pad I got at Yamada Denki. It's perfect. Turned off anisotropic filering and set the resolution up to to my max 4x3 ratio, and the game runs wonderfully on my laptop, which is nice considering the four hours it took me to get Origin running. That said, aside from character portraits, the game is tolerable in 16x10.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
hmm... I'll probably stream more of the game tonight. I stopped at the second dungeon, right before a boss. The music is just so good in this game that I just wanna like... stop playing and dance. Though I already knew that. For whatever reason, I feel like the sound quality might be better on the PC, though that's kind of unfair considering I'm using better equipment than what I played the PSP version with.

Sinatar

The very same, I'm about to put my fist through the monitor atm :)

What I did was
use the wind attack to put out the fire on his torso and then did standard jumping attacks on his big spiney tail. I found I did a lot more damage a lot faster by using regular attacks on the tail instead of the wind spin. Other then that it was a whole lot of luck. Also make sure you have the broadsword which is in a chest in that dungeon on the north path of the first shallow lava pool area.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I can't beat the 4th boss, am I missing something, I don't seem to do much damage at all to it, and some of its attacks seem impossible to escape (
when it just charges at me all fiery after emerging from the lava pit
) so it just outlasts me, by far. Maybe my weapon is weak? I'm still using the first sword, and only upgraded once. But I don't think I can go back to town from this point to upgrade it or buy something better as I planned to do after getting some more gold. Magic doesn't do much either.

Edit: oh, nevermind, as above I guess, lol, I didn't notice it has that effect.

Edit: yeah, no, that doesn't seem to work as intended, sometimes it takes three attempts and by then it might as well have wore off due to the time it takes to do that rather than because I caused it...

Edit: ok, new sword, it was super easy with that.

It took me time to figure out I can jump further with that new magic so I wandered a lot before finding the exit and next boss, lol.

Kareha

What I did was
use the wind attack to put out the fire on his torso and then did standard jumping attacks on his big spiney tail. I found I did a lot more damage a lot faster by using regular attacks on the tail instead of the wind spin. Other then that it was a whole lot of luck. Also make sure you have the broadsword which is in a chest in that dungeon on the north path of the first shallow lava pool area.

And he's down, plus I levelled up on killing him :) Thanks for the tips :):)

The PSP version probably uses highly compressed audio files, especially since they had to cram the VO in too. The PC version isn't really limited to space usage the way a UMD is.

I know Ys I & II Complete actually used uncompressed WAV files for the music if you bought the DVD versions. Awwwww yeah.

I wonder if there'd be a way to hack in support for FLAC or similar lossless compression for a theoretical digital release. Would be awesome.

Sinatar

I can't beat the 4th boss, am I missing something, I don't seem to do much damage at all to it, and some of its attacks seem impossible to escape (
when it just charges at me all fiery after emerging from the lava pit
) so it just outlasts me, by far. Maybe my weapon is weak? I'm still using the first sword, and only upgraded once. But I don't think I can go back to town from this point to upgrade it or buy something better as I planned to do after getting some more gold. Magic doesn't do much either.

Edit: oh, nevermind, as above I guess, lol, I didn't notice it has that effect.

Edit: yeah, no, that doesn't seem to work as intended, sometimes it takes three attempts and by then it might as well have wore off due to the time it takes to do that rather than because I caused it...

The broadsword (the 3rd sword) is in a chest in that dungeon, backtrack a bit and explore.

Saroyan

A full system freeze certainly implies there's a deeper underlying issue. It could be something very weird in terms of game/driver interaction, of course.

Yeah I'm thinking there is something weird and unique going on with my system. Its been close to a year since I've reinstalled windows, might be time for a flush and a clean start.

What the hell. My inputs don't apply anymore =/ Every time I change them, then launch the game, they just revert to the weird default inputs. What's going on?

EDIT: Oops, didn't mean to double post.

INB4 bishopcruz and gunsmithx...oh goddammit

bro can i have one =)

Birthday presents are awesome. = ) Having this game release on my b-day was the best one in a while.

Either way, this game is still just SO VERY GOOD, I've beaten it at least five times over the years, twice in moonspeak. I'm still loving the hell out of it.

Though my only slight complaint is there are quite a few achievements that require playing through on every difficulty, and dear lord I don't want to play through on Very Easy and Easy. Normal is cake enough after having done Nightmare in the past.

I had forgotten just how different the bosses are on Hard, with extra attack patterns and the like. Falcom knows how to do old school. Props to them.

Still amazed that this game is 6 and a half years old.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Additionally, against that 4th boss people are talking about,
I find using the down thrust attack actually works really well if you're accurate enough to hit the tail. Does a fair bit more damage than standard jump attacks and spins, but it's a little hard to pull off since it moves so much and so quickly.

I beat it without getting the broadsword. :lol Got that afterward. For some reason I forgot that was up there instead of the next area that required the new pickup.

VandalD

I beat it without getting the broadsword. :lol Got that afterward. For some reason I forgot that was up there instead of the next area that required the new pickup.
Same here. I didn't realize you could backtrack from the save, but still managed to beat him somehow. The boss fights in this game are ridiculous, and I love it. I'm sure I'll be looking forward to more Ys after this.

Speaking of bosses, this is one of the only games where I've felt satisfaction from beating the bosses. It just feels awesome when you win. I don't really feel like that in a lot of other games.

And apparently I lied when I said this was my first Ys game. I forgot I bought I&II on the Wii VC... or whatever one was on there. Never really did play it, though.

Varion

Speaking of bosses, this is one of the only games where I've felt satisfaction from beating the bosses. It just feels awesome when you win. I don't really feel like that in a lot of other games.

And apparently I lied when I said this was my first Ys game. I forgot I bought I&II on the Wii VC... or whatever one was on there. Never really did play it, though.
The best thing about Felghana/Origin's bosses is when you die, there's always something to learn from it. You didn't die because the game was being cheap or whatever, you died because you did something wrong and you can use it to do better next time.

Beating Origin on nightmare my death counts were easily in double digits on a bunch of the bosses, but that feel when after a tense and well fought battle you emerge victorious is just incredible. It's one of the reasons I love the engine so much (in particular the fact that you have no items to rely on as a crutch).

Baha

Anybody here playing with an arcade stick? I'm trying to get the configuration tool to recognize my stick movement, I'm using a Horii Fighting Stick 3.

LegatoB

Anybody here playing with an arcade stick? I'm trying to get the configuration tool to recognize my stick movement, I'm using a Horii Fighting Stick 3.
If the controller's got a switch to put it on Left Analog Stick mode, use that. Otherwise, it seems the game still doesn't understand the POV/Hat switch for movement. (Friendly XSEED Programmer: please fix that.)

Artanisix

Ugh I'm really annoyed. Was making my way through the ruins and died after like 15 minutes. I then learned that I respawn all the way back at the save point before even opening the gates. Goddamnit.

Just bought. I loved the other Ys games on my PSP, never played any of them on PC. DOes it control okay on kb/m? or is it unplayable?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh I'm really annoyed. Was making my way through the ruins and died after like 15 minutes. I then learned that I respawn all the way back at the save point before even opening the gates. Goddamnit.

Yeah, no save point til the very end of the ruins. I'd recommend going through and loading up on gold and leveling up a few times, getting the ravel ore from the chests, and then heading back to town and upgrading. Then make your way to the end. Trust me, you'll want to be as upgraded as possible when you get to the end of it. Even if it means going through the ruins 2 or 3 times (should be a breeze after the first run due to the higher level and better equipment).

Top Bottom