• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys: The Oath in Felghana (PC/Steam) |OT|

The cost of upgrades increases significantly with each tier (ie from 1 to 7 to 30 to 100 to 300), so you aren't really hurting yourself by upgrading earlier on.

Thanks for the quick answer!

I also discovered that to go around faster,
I just jump attack attack (X+Z+Z) quickly while moving.
Is that right? haha

Chris R

Should I save the Raval crystals or should I use them to up items early game?

Yes, I've been doing exactly that on youtube.
Figured out the trick for the first boss just now and it's extremely satisfying!

First boss tip (not the solution):
Guys, for the first boss, if you go buy a longsword it'll be easier, if you don't mind the walk back.

Didn't even know that it was possible to
hit the first boss physically! Yay! Magic aiming is somewhat troublesome for me right now so if I can just dodge the attacks and get close and wail on her I'll be good

Didn't even know that it was possible to
hit the first boss physically! Yay! Magic aiming is somewhat troublesome for me right now so if I can just dodge the attacks and get close and wail on her I'll be good

After reading your post I realized that the boss I was talking about might be just small fry. facepalm

Edit: Confirmed. I just met the right one. Getting killed.

Psxphile

Count me in as someone who's been suckered into buying this game thanks to the Steam sale. It's not my first Ys, having played Wanderers from Ys way back on the SNES... I guess Oath is a remake? Story seems very similar, but now its standard overhead hack-and-slash and not side-scoller Zelda II-style.

Bought it last night and kept playing until I got stuck at the lava dragon boss (lava... lava everywhere). I'll go back in and give him a serious try later.

Chris R

After reading your post I realized that the boss I was talking about might be just small fry. facepalm

Edit: Confirmed. I just met the right one. Getting killed.

Does your longsword hit the boss? Thinking I might just grind out a few levels to get some more HP because I was able to get her down to like 50% just was getting hit too frequently with the constant blade attacks.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Charged magic is the way to go for that boss - make sure you got the ruby in the dungeon on the way to the boss. It may take a bit to get used to aiming it, but it's easily the safest and most effective way to do damage.

Just got around to playing this game, and dam, the game just has to rub in the fact that I suck. It was the first achievement I got. Whoever put in that achievement is a horrible person. =(

Just got around to playing this game, and dam, the game just has to rub in the fact that I suck. It was the first achievement I got. Whoever put in that achievement is a horrible person. =(

Hah that happened to me already. Sad thing is that I had already read an FAQ :(

Expect to die 15-20 times on every boss, and then on the 21st try kill it without getting hit.

It's alwasy hard as hell till you really figure out the pattern.

Does your longsword hit the boss? Thinking I might just grind out a few levels to get some more HP because I was able to get her down to like 50% just was getting hit too frequently with the constant blade attacks.

I was talking about that small fry before this boss. Let's charge our lasers to victory :(
btw I have 100hp

Expect to die 15-20 times on every boss, and then on the 21st try kill it without getting hit.

Just got that achieve from the 1st boss... Really tough...

I was talking about that small fry before this boss. Let's charge our lasers to victory :(
btw I have 100hp

Just got that achieve from the 2nd boss... Really tough...

Edit: Just beat 2nd boss. This game is something else ; I've never played such a rewarding game.

I recently played this game and I can't get the music out of my head. So damn good.

Anyone who played Fate/Stay night tell me this, does "Sealed Time" the theme from the clock tower, sound extremely similar to "Emiya"? Or is it just me?

Anyone who played Fate/Stay night tell me this, does "Sealed Time" the theme from the clock tower, sound extremely similar to "Emiya"? Or is it just me?

I can see some similarities, but I think they're really just superficial. It's worth noting that the Clock Tower theme is vastly older than Emiya, being from Wanderers
emot-v.gif

I got that one on the...third boss? And I'm only playing on normal mode, terrible.

I still love this game though. Totally going to play after work.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
How different is this from origin? Picked up both and just got past the second boss in origin.
The overall structure of the game is very different, but they play similarly.

Specifically, Oath has an overworld and separate dungeons, some side quests, and only Adol as a playable character.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
If you're playing as Yunica the combat is basically the same. Fire skill is slightly different, third skill is very different.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Beat it. Final boss went down like a little bitch. I expected a lot worse.

Ending:
FRIENDZONED!

Dice

Also more on the ending:
Count McGuire felt bad and apologized for all he did to the town... BUT SAYS JACK SHIT OF HOW HE HELPED ALMOST AWAKEN AN EVIL GOD TO RULE OVER THE WHOLE WORLD?! What a fucking dumbass to the end.

HoosTrax

So it's still A A A A A A A A A A A X A A A A A A A A?
Silly people who use A for attack instead of jump.

Unfortunately, now that I've set my button binds to be A=jump, B=attack, it means that my menu controls are apparently reversed -_- (B = confirm, instead of A)

What kind of weird control config is this! I roll my thumb from A to B to do aerial attacks in games like Castlevania, so it's strange to me to have to roll my thumb from B to A to do it.

Psxphile

I went back into it after suffering a devastating defeat to the Volvagia-esque "boss" but the lava was a hindrance. Turns out I hadn't explored the dungeon fully as I backtracked and fell down a pit which lead me to an item that protects Adol from ankle burns. Excellent. The dragon went down like a bitch, and it wasn't even the dungeon boss!

That came later. Now heading back into the mines with some new powers, maybe I'll finally be able to grab that sparkly on that too-far-to-jump ledge.

I went back into it after suffering a devastating defeat to the Volvagia-esque "boss" but the lava was a hindrance. Turns out I hadn't explored the dungeon fully as I backtracked and fell down a pit which lead me to an item that protects Adol from ankle burns. Excellent. The dragon went down like a bitch, and it wasn't even the dungeon boss!

That came later. Now heading back into the mines with some new powers, maybe I'll finally be able to grab that sparkly on that too-far-to-jump ledge.

Keep fighting!

Even though I say that -just now, I got really cocky and didn't bother going back for a save point after grinding for a long time. Lost 2000 gold, 4 levels and 35 ores.

Edit: 3rd boss down. My pace is incredibly slow.

Question on boss 4:
WTF at Guilen? so hard... any tips here guys?

Nvm, figured it out, shouldn't be too hard. LOL I love solving my own problems here in this thread. Made like 5 edits on this post.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Aaaagh this fucking game! I must've died 20 times to this stupid lava boss. I can get him to sub 100HP but by then I have roughly 20HP left. I looked up a youtube video to see maybe if I was doing something wrong and the dude is on the same difficulty but doing way more damage.

Am I screwed here? I don't want to reload an older save and be forced to fight 2 bosses again.

Edit:

I give up, I get him down to his head and then can only hit him for 1 damage =/.

edit2: I'm retarded, I back tracked a bit and found a better sword than the one I had before >_<, that should help.

edit3: Well that was stupidly easy...I hate this game :>

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Getting back in the game now. And I spent like 1 hour and a half in the abandoned mines... and couldn't even get to the first save point in this dungeon.;_; ffs those ogre guys are such a pain.

Still having a lot of fun either way though.

Chris R

Holy shit, the fire ruby made the first real boss so much easier :(

edit: As in I died to the first boss a bunch (usually within 3/4 mins) before, but now killed her in under a min taking minimal damage...

Dice

Find shit that can be found, buy the best you can, and level a couple times and you shouldn't have much trouble playing on normal.

Dreavus

Definitely picking this up tomorrow. I am bound by the golden rule of steam sales to not buy it before then, but I'm really enjoying Ys Origin so far too, which I think spells good things for Oath. All this Ys is making me want to go back and finish 2 on the virtual console.

Ryoku

I remember playing this game with an English patch back in 2007. I got it while I was at Otakon, and its soundtrack is still one of the most amazing among games.

Definitely picking this up tomorrow. I am bound by the golden rule of steam sales to not buy it before then, but I'm really enjoying Ys Origin so far too, which I think spells good things for Oath. All this Ys is making me want to go back and finish 2 on the virtual console.
I eagerly await you as I hold fort in this empty thread. I hope more people would come here by the end of the sales...

I remember playing this game with an English patch back in 2007. I got it while I was at Otakon, and its soundtrack is still one of the most amazing among games.
Music is amazing indeed, it's so rare to have game music that won't start to grind on you, it remains fresh through all those 100x boss fights and resets.

Update: Boss 5 down! onward!
Victory SS: hehe

Edgeward

Does the PC version have the ability to switch the OST version like in the PSP version? Or was that something also added to the PSP?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Does the PC version have the ability to switch the OST version like in the PSP version? Or was that something also added to the PSP?

I think that was a feature added in the PSP version. Checked real quick and didn't see it in the PC version options or config.

I bought Ys Origin in the Steam sale and realized I'd never actually finished Oath, so I remedied that a couple days ago. Final boss took me so many tries, but man did it feel good when he finally went down!

Exuro

Been playing this game for a little over 2 hours and am really enjoying it. I think I came across a glitch. I just found the broadsword in the fire pits place and when I equip it my newer green shield and armor revert to the original red version(sorry don't remember the names). Also the sword itself looks like the first sword you get. Is this just a visual thing? Thanks.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Been playing this game for a little over 2 hours and am really enjoying it. I think I came across a glitch. I just found the broadsword in the fire pits place and when I equip it my newer green shield and armor revert to the original red version(sorry don't remember the names). Also the sword itself looks like the first sword you get. Is this just a visual thing? Thanks.

The game only displays your equipment when you have a full set (everything from the same column). If you mix it up at all, it reverts back to the default sprite.

I guess they didn't want to animate sprites for every single equipment combination, so they just did each set plus the default sprite.

Exuro

The game only displays your equipment when you have a full set (everything from the same column). If you mix it up at all, it reverts back to the default sprite.

I guess they didn't want to animate sprites for every single equipment combination, so they just did each set plus the default sprite.
Ah I see, thanks.

EDIT: Okay, I'm at the dragoon fire boss dude. Died about 15 time, how do I do this? I'm doing what I can to dodge him by circling around him and doing the new spin attack but I'm just not consistent or anything. Does grinding help much in this game or do I just keep at it til I beat him?

Ah I see, thanks.

EDIT: Okay, I'm at the dragoon fire boss dude. Died about 15 time, how do I do this? I'm doing what I can to dodge him by circling around him and doing the new spin attack but I'm just not consistent or anything. Does grinding help much in this game or do I just keep at it til I beat him?

As a rule, a couple levels is always helpful if you're having a hard time.
Stats in this game mean a LOT in terms of dmg/defense.

If you need help on the method, take a look here http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL439482F2CF3BB7BC&feature=plcp
That's nightmare mode, or you can just search on youtube.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Ah I see, thanks.

Grinding helps a lot in this game. 1 level can make a big difference. Naturally equipment does too. Did you take the fork north and get a sword when you first entered the lava?

He doesn't hurt you once the flames wear off. Jumping and using the wind skill to dodge should allow you to avoid it's attacks, then once the fire wears off use the wind magic to deal damage.

Hitting the tail does extra damage. I'm kind of crazy, I tend to use the downward slash on the tail if I get an opportunity. It's kind of hard to hit, but it does good damage when you pull it off.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Ah I see, thanks.

Make sure you picked up the new sword in that dungeon, do downward slashes after he swerves around and starts breathing fire. Never use the whirlwind to attack only to dodge him after he comes out of fire. Don't forget hyper mode, the extra damage helps alot. Don't get impatient most boss fights are fights of endurance.

Grief.exe

Is it better to play this game with a controller or mouse and keyboard?

Been waiting for this game for a long time, but finally got a chance to pick it up during the Steam Sale for cheaper. Been lurking this thread for a while as well, but never saw an answer and couldn't ask since I just got accepted at Neogaf.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Is it better to play this game with a controller or mouse and keyboard?

Been waiting for this game for a long time, but finally got a chance to pick it up during the Steam Sale for cheaper. Been lurking this thread for a while as well, but never saw an answer and couldn't ask since I just got accepted at Neogaf.

I haven't played it with a m/kb, but I'd still recommend using a controller if that's an option. This seems like the kind of game where an analog stick would have a big advantage over a mouse.

Grief.exe

I haven't played it with a m/kb, but I'd still recommend using a controller if that's an option. This seems like the kind of game where an analog stick would have a big advantage over a mouse.

I do have the option to use a 360 controller so Ill try that out, I can see why it would be nice too since you need to use the 8 directions which is more difficult with the m/kb

zoku88

I played this with a KB (no mouse), and it was ok. Movement wasn't really the problem. It was more of the mapping of the action keys (which you can change.)

I prefered playing with a controller or arcade stick, thoguh.

Dice

I bought Ys Origin in the Steam sale and realized I'd never actually finished Oath, so I remedied that a couple days ago. Final boss took me so many tries, but man did it feel good when he finally went down!
I went in level 53 with max best equipment and a spirit necklace. Even though I had no clue how to fight him and figured it out as I went along, I beat it first try because the extra efforts meant he barely hurt me. I actually only leveled that far because I thought it might be feasible to get the achievement for level 60 but, uh, yeah... no thanks.

Top Bottom