• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft: Remastered |OT| Evolution Complete

TheMoon

Little tip from a personal experience. For those who are getting into StarCraft for the first time and have never played any of the games before, I strongly recommend that you don't immediately jump into multiplayer until you have either played the campaign and some custom games or have practiced with a friend who knows their skills.

I thought I was ready to play multiplayer after I beat the campaign and holy crap that I get destroyed. 10 minutes after the match begins I was building my resources to improve and suddenly out of nowhere a huge wave of Zergling destroyed everything in my vicinity.

10 minutes? You held out long! :D

I still think that making reference to the jukebox would've been funnier for the OT's title.

it would have been lost one me. I think this one is very fitting. not everything has to be funny. (says guy who always throws dumb jokes into his OT titles)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So the game is going to be a clean .exe without battle.net-support? Like, I can't find it on the app.

Syf

Banned
It will be on the app and connected to their other games. That's going to be activated during the maintenance.

dawid

It's really interesting that they haven't touched the general gameplay and implemented a few of the quality of life-improvements that Starcraft 2 introduced.

It's the right thing to do, but man if you've haven't played BW since the release of SC2 you're in for an accessibility-shock.

Jinroh

So in Europe it releases tonight, right? I was so thrilled back when the game first released, and I’m excited all over again! The campaign was one of the best I’ve played in a RTS.

Can't wait to play through the campaign again. Still deciding if I'll play much online, don't have the time to practice so I'll mostly be pretty bad. Really hope this leads to more BW tournaments, if it helps revive the scene somewhat that would be great.

Xyphie

Have they said what they're doing with regards to cutscenes? Just using the old stuff at higher res/bitrates? Some sort of motion comic stuff? Doubt they'll do something substantial for a $15 product.

Lord Phol

The final product looks a lot better than I though it would (going by the latest gameplay videos). My initial thoughts was that it looked a bit jarring. I do still stand by that the portrait changes are mostly for the worse, especially for protoss as they loose a lot of visual atmosphere and unique characteristics.

Does someone know how well this'll run on integrated GPU's (Intel HD/Iris)?
The recommended GPU listed for macOS is a GT 650M/HD 5670. I'm pretty sure that most integrated GPUs wont reach that performance.

https://eu.battle.net/support/en/article/28438

It is purely a 2D sprites based game with zero 3D acceleration, it'll run on anything released after 2005.

Have they said what they're doing with regards to cutscenes? Just using the old stuff at higher res/bitrates? Some sort of motion comic stuff? Doubt they'll do something substantial for a $15 product.

CG cutscenes are re-rendered at 1080p with original assets, certain story elements that were just in-game dialogues are now shown in comics.

Guys I havent played Brood war since June. Now I launched it to be prepared for the remaster later today and I am welcomed with some sort of a new screen where I should link or create new account.
Both options are giving me an error stating that such account already exist. Isn't this what I am trying to achieve? Please help.

edti: basically this https://us.battle.net/forums/en/starcraft/topic/20758266034
Not sure, I had the same issue when the bnet functionality got patched in, decided just to make another account.

Mr Swine

Banned
Nice OT OP but ya forgot the goat character in that list, General "Been a General for fifteen years, Now I'm taking orders from a pup" Edmund Duke

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
IT IS 14TH RIGHT NOW AND MANY HOURS INTO IT

WHERE IS IT

Does anyone know if this extra mission at the end of StarCraft 64 is the same as the "secret" extra mission in the original pc version that you got if you finished one of the last missions fast enough?

ShadowOwl

Just preordered! Looking forward to revisiting the campaign, never finished the Brood War campaigns. Not too interested in competitive playing.
The character portrait of Jim Raynor is a insult. The original looked waaay better.
They obviously tried to have some consistency between SC1R and SC2 when it comes to the characters' looks. I like it. Classic SC1 Raynor and especially Kerrigan look nothing like their SC2 counterparts.

ScOULaris

Curious is map editor is the same. It probably is. That would make me happy
It will be mostly the same, but they are enhancing it with some new features. That being said, most mapmakers have been using more robust third-party editors like SCMDraft 2 for a long while now.

Man, it's so great to see this OT getting some traction already. I really hope that Remastered ushers in a resurgence for both competitive Brood War and UMS (custom maps).

Wonko_C

I can't wait to give the campaign a second try. I was never able to play through the original without using cheats because it got too hard (even on the easiest difficulty) halfway through the Terran campaign.

AndersK

I can't wait to give the campaign a second try. I was never able to play through the original without using cheats because it got too hard (even on the easiest difficulty) halfway through the Terran campaign.

The original campaign can be pretty hard. Brood War effortlessly holds its beer, though. Nightmare maps. "Lets take Devourers , and their aoe spash attack that makes you take more damage, and team em up with Valkyries. Cuz fuuuuuuck youuuu"

Good times.

Edit: Also, "Heres a 850 hp, 5 armor, 45 splash damage ultralisk' who's gonna ram your base asap. And it reincarnates endlessly until you kill X, located way the fuck over here. Enjoy."

The original campaign can be pretty hard. Brood War effortlessly holds its beer, though. Nightmare maps. "Lets take Devourers , and their aoe spash attack that makes you take more damage, and team em up with Valkyries. Cuz fuuuuuuck youuuu"

Good times.

The first time I made it to the last mission of broodwar,
I cheated fullmap to check the mainland. I saw a massive ball of carriers, archons, templars that must have been over 200, supply and another swarm of terran units just as large,.and noped the fuck out. Turns out at least most of the protoss units were illusions though, lol.

jahasaja

The first time I made it to the last mission of broodwar,
I cheated fullmap to check the mainland. I saw a massive ball of carriers, archons, templars that must have been over 200, supply and another swarm of terran units just as large,.and noped the fuck out. Turns out at least most of the protoss units were illusions though, lol.

The greatest thing about SC is all units are good. you can beat that level with only zerglings..

Top Bottom