• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 has got the most horrendous IQ that I've seen from a 'AAA" game.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Nah that belongs to Hellblade in 60fps mode

Motion blur is a must for 30fps games these days but the implementation in JC3 is fucking terrible. Everything technical about that game is terrible. What's worse is none of it was ever addresses or fixed. One of this generation's biggest wasted opportunities.

Is the general consensus that JC2 is the better game?

It's a tough one, JC3's destruction and gameplay is better by a long shot (outside of the driving...which is possibly the worst driving in an open world game I've ever experienced, It's unreal that the same studio put out Mad Max)

Buuuut....JC2's world was so varied and huge, it had every setting you would want, large patches of desert, jungle, cities, snowy mountain ranges, it had it all. JC3 only really has that samey Mediterranean look going for it, with just a little tiny bit of city and snow.

Story sucks shit in both games, but that's not what anyone comes to this series for.

You think that's bad, try using SMAA T2x on PC. Does a good job with AA during gameplay, but result in horrible ghosting during cutscenes, which was never fixed.
Is the general consensus that JC2 is the better game?
While JC3 was ok, I found it to be far inferior to JC2 overall. Overly-serious story/writing (far less of the charmingly-camp tone from JC2), less map variety, having to do the same old terrible time trial challenges over and over and over again to unlock new upgrades, horrible bike physics, poorly-designed missions, etc. It feels very rushed, which makes sense when you consider the supposed development hell the game went through (Jim Sterling mentioned that Square initially had Avalanche make it an online-only thing to begin with, similarly to how they fucked around with Deus Ex).

Lt-47

It's a tough one, JC3's destruction and gameplay is better by a long shot (outside of the driving...which is possibly the worst driving in an open world game I've ever experienced, It's unreal that the same studio put out Mad Max)

It's not that unreal, it's not made by same the team at all (Avalanche New York vs Avalanche Stockholm)

PKrockin

Really bizarre that OP uses a still from a seemingly 480p or 360p Youtube video to prove a point about image quality.

Just Cause 3 is only considered a AAA game because it cost $60. Just Cause games have never really been AAA in terms of quality imo.

Just Cause 2 was better than most AAA games of its era, not only in quality of gameplay but also technical achievement.

I disagree, but it was a fine game, fully modded, for the $10 most people ended up paying for it. As a $60 release, vanilla JC2 was not better than a large majority of games I've ever played.

Just cause 2 was rather impressive for its time. Esp considering it was a console port. Def an aaa game in terms of tech and visuals imo. Just cause 3 comes off more like a low budget, 20$ game

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Just cause 2 was rather impressive for its time. Esp considering it was a console port. Def an aaa game in terms of tech and visuals imo. Just cause 3 comes off more like a low budget, 20$ game
Just Cause 3 dropped my jaws on the PC. Probably the best explosions in a video game.

Just Cause 3 dropped my jaws on the PC. Probably the best explosions in a video game.
def good but not far enough ahead of other games to bring up the overall package to aaa imo. World in conflict was a game of its time that had explosions just leagues ahead of the entire industry

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
def good but not far enough ahead of other games to bring up the overall package to aaa imo. World in conflict was a game of its time that had explosions just leagues ahead of the entire industry
They were good, and indeed bountiful, but it shipped the same year Crysis did.

IQ wasn't a major issue for me at 1440p. The last game that made me reach for SweetFX and heavy downsampling was BF4.

They were good, and indeed bountiful, but it shipped the same year Crysis did.

IQ wasn't a major issue for me at 1440p. The last game that made me reach for SweetFX and heavy downsampling was BF4.

World in conflict explosions put those in crysis to shame

Bf4 has much better IQ imo. The deferred aa while not great still works a lot better than affordable levels of ogssaa. Also allows you to use tranparency aa to help clean up the foliage. 2x mfaa + 2x trssaa at 1080p is a much more stable image than just cause 3 at 4k

Lol that screen grab, HD isn't even selected..

Garbage IQ.

eHH1RUX.png

Top Bottom