• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple AirPods | OT | Try not to lose them

Guess Who

Banned
Been thinking about getting a pair lately, but I just wanted to check that there's not anything about the upcoming new version that's worth waiting a little longer for. Is it just inductive charging? No changes to the functionality, sound quality, and so forth?

Also, I'll be using them primarily with a 6S Plus. Any drawbacks there?

The only thing they announced was a new case for inductive charging, and that will be sold separately so you can pick it up if you want it. No new AirPods themselves.

There's no difference in how the AirPods work with any iOS device with iOS 10 or later.

Cowlick

Banned
The only thing they announced was a new case for inductive charging, and that will be sold separately so you can pick it up if you want it. No new AirPods themselves.

There's no difference in how the AirPods work with any iOS device with iOS 10 or later.
Nice. Thanks for the help!

SFenton

These are *great*. They are convenient, they work well, the charging case might look like floss but it's a damn clever idea to have built-in battery to it so I can charge while I hike or something.

Easily the best Apple product I think they've made since... probably the first iPhone redesign. Coming from someone with an iPhone 7+, Watch 2, and now the AirPods, but otherwise invested in Microsoft's ecosystem.

About the only thing I wish it had was direct handoff to Windows/Surfaces- sorry, but I don't think I'll ever own a Mac.

If I'm watching a streaming video on my Mac, such as youtube, and I take one out of my ear, will it pause the video?

That would be great if I'm taking lecture notes and need to pause the recording rather than sitting close to the computer.

Quick

Banned
If I'm watching a streaming video on my Mac, such as youtube, and I take one out of my ear, will it pause the video?

That would be great if I'm taking lecture notes and need to pause the recording rather than sitting close to the computer.

Yep, it'll pause video as well.

holygeesus

Banned
Actually YouTube on Mac has been a bit flakey with mine of late - sometimes sound just stops (video carries on playing) and you have to pause and restart the video or even sometimes reload it completely.

Quick

Banned
I can't read. Just noticed the post said "Mac".

I'm not 100% sure on that end as I have an older Macbook Pro that doesn't support handoff.

Can you skip to the next track with OS 11? I took back a pair because you can’t tap to the next track.

Yep. You can set each side individually as well. Options are: Siri, play/pause, next track, previous track, and nothing

I have mine set to left side Siri right side next track

These things are wonderful. Double tapping on left to bring up Siri, double tapping right to go to the next track when playing music, and taking out one to pause a track - it’s all so convenient.

WatchOS 4 automatically going to Now Playing when playing music is also wonderful - it gives me an immediate volume dial to use. I know I’m neck deep in Apple’s ecosystem now but it really does all work together great.

Erebus

I'm looking for AirPods alternatives. Has anyone here tried BeatsX wireless? I understand that they have the same W1 chip found in the AirPods.

Yep. I have the beats x and I really like them. Solid sound and all. But I’m still really interested in the AirPods even if I know that the sound will be a bit lesser in quality.

Erebus

hugocésar;250465115 said:
Yep. I have the beats x and I really like them. Solid sound and all. But I’m still really interested in the AirPods even if I know that the sound will be a bit lesser in quality.
Are they comfortable? Several reviews say that the cable is longer than needed thus pushing the buds out of your ears sometimes.

mrkgoo

I'm looking for AirPods alternatives. Has anyone here tried BeatsX wireless? I understand that they have the same W1 chip found in the AirPods.

I have them and I love them. Of course I'd like them tl be true wireless, but it's a good compromise.

For the lack of true wireless, you still get the benefit of the important part being wire-free, plus the following advantages (imo):

- better sound and fit, due to the in-ear buds.
- noise isolation
- better battery life
- cheaper
- inline controls

You lose:
- probably better mics on the AirPods
- some added convenience of just being able to put them on and have them operate and switch off. You have to turn the beats on and off.

jts

...hate me...
I prefer the battery benefits of the AirPods in all honesty. 24 hour battery case + quick charging and also possibility of switching side to keep continuous playback virtually forever.

I think only once I’ve ran out of battery in them since they launched - a quick 10-15 minute break while putting them in the case fixed it. No USB charger, no wires, no need to be home.

Guess Who

Banned
The AirPods case is invaluable. I rarely have a situation where I'm listening to something for 4-5 hours straight, and they charge ridiculously fast in the case. It makes the battery life feel effectively so much longer than "4-5 hours" because you'll keep them in the case when you aren't actively using them and the case charges them absurdly fast (just 15 minutes will recharge you 60% or so). You'll probably get 2-3 days of use out of a case charge too, or even more if you're a light user.

Basically, unless you plan to use your Bluetooth headphones for very long consecutive sessions, or you aren't bringing the case with you for some reason, the AirPods just destroy every other Bluetooth earbud I've seen for "effective" battery life. You can use them throughout the day and never worry even for a moment that the battery is going to die mid-listen.

bananas

Banned
I just got mine yesterday and I love them.
I just hope for the next revision they allow you to swipe up/down to control the volume on them, or something.
Everyone on GAF claims they have a 10.5" iPad Pro

Not me! I have a 12.9" iPad Pro!

That's a lie. I sold mine. Now I just have a 9.7" iPad Air 2 :(
The AirPods case is invaluable. I rarely have a situation where I'm listening to something for 4-5 hours straight, and they charge ridiculously fast in the case. It makes the battery life feel effectively so much longer than "4-5 hours" because you'll keep them in the case when you aren't actively using them and the case charges them absurdly fast (just 15 minutes will recharge you 60% or so). You'll probably get 2-3 days of use out of a case charge too, or even more if you're a light user.

Basically, unless you plan to use your Bluetooth headphones for very long consecutive sessions, or you aren't bringing the case with you for some reason, the AirPods just destroy every other Bluetooth earbud I've seen for "effective" battery life. You can use them throughout the day and never worry even for a moment that the battery is going to die mid-listen.

Yeah, and I was surprised at how small the case is too.

jts

...hate me...

If the BeatsX were a large cup of water, the AirPods are a slightly smaller cup of water... which comes with a whole bottle attached.

mrkgoo

I prefer the battery benefits of the AirPods in all honesty. 24 hour battery case + quick charging and also possibility of switching side to keep continuous playback virtually forever.

I think only once I've ran out of battery in them since they launched - a quick 10-15 minute break while putting them in the case fixed it. No USB charger, no wires, no need to be home.

Oh yes, definitely. the case is amazing.

Apple really did think through the Airpods and what it means to have a set of wireless earbuds, and what inconveniences you would get, and just solve those issues. It's basically like you really don't have to think about them actually being wireless, and "remembering" to charge them (you still do, but it's kind of isolated from the buds), and not having to turn them on or off is great.

Blackhead

Redarse
meh. apple is not the first to do this etc

tbh the airpods case is too thick to be placed comfortably in pants pocket so it's not always with me, especially during the summer months. I got the lower power warning often

If any of you are interested in the BeatsX, I’m planning to get rid of mine since I wasn’t a big fan of them. PM if you’re interested.

I have the black ones btw and used completely different buds than the ones that came with the box.

When I open my AirPods case it now immediately connects to the AirPods even as they sit in the case.

Edit: I still can’t get over the battery life of these things. I put them in the case, I want to the bathroom, I came back, and they are up to 50% charged. It’s just astonishing how great the battery life is on these things.

Any suggestions for one AirPod charging and not another? My right one isn’t consistently charging and at a completely different charge level than the other.

Any suggestions for one AirPod charging and not another? My right one isn’t consistently charging and at a completely different charge level than the other.

Clean the case and the AirPods is my suggestion. Sometimes the contacts might be a little off and cause issues. Compressed air or a q-tip gently into the case is what I do, and then clean the AirPods however you normally do.

I have killed 4 Plantronics Backbeat Fit headsets with sweat from running and a pair of Powerbeats 3’s also . How are these with sweat ?

br3wnor

Are they comfortable? Several reviews say that the cable is longer than needed thus pushing the buds out of your ears sometimes.

They’re generally comfortable but the cable is very annoying. If you wear a collared shirt there will be times you turn your head right or left and they’ll pop out of your ear. Also, when running I tended to have to push them back into my ear every 5 minutes or they’d eventually fall out.

The sound quality is absolutely better on them compared to AirPods but that’s (from my experience) the only thing better about them. I gave my wife the beatsx and basically only use my AirPods now.

Cowlick

Banned
Well I took the plunge. Got a set of AirPods and all is fine but for Siri - I've assigned the left bud to Siri and the right to skip track, but the left won't register the double-tap, while the right senses it just fine. Tried restarting, forgetting and reconnecting the AirPods, no luck. iOS 11.0.2 on a 6S. How screwed am I?

Well I took the plunge. Got a set of AirPods and all is fine but for Siri - I've assigned the left bud to Siri and the right to skip track, but the left won't register the double-tap, while the right senses it just fine. Tried restarting, forgetting and reconnecting the AirPods, no luck. iOS 11.0.2 on a 6S. How screwed am I?

Does double tap work for any function, aside from Siri? Does removing it pause the audio?

I have killed 4 Plantronics Backbeat Fit headsets with sweat from running and a pair of Powerbeats 3’s also . How are these with sweat ?

Well they’re not sweat resistant and the Powerbeats are supposed to be. So if your sweat is killing headsets that claim resistance I’d be cautious with these

I run with them and have yet to have a problem, but that’s not to say I won’t eventually

Cowlick

Banned
Does double tap work for any function, aside from Siri? Does removing it pause the audio?
Changed the left bud to next track, and it doesn't seem to register that function, either. And removing it doesn't pause the audio, while removing the right bud does.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Thinking of taking the plunge on these, I'm tired of buying those stupid wired EarPods, that break every other week. I'm not a fan of headphones, so I never got any bluetooth ones. The AirPods seem perfect especially being able to seamlessly switch between my iPhone, Mac, and Watch. But damn I don't want to spend $160 !

Wollan

I had no idea the case itself featured batteries recharging the Airpods. That's real clever and goes a long way in making wireless much more viable.
Had to check after I noticed the just announced PixelBuds featuring this.

Since this is also the general W1 chip thread, my Studio 3s just arrived

Edit: holy shit this is my first pair of headphone with noise cancellation and I am blown away. My roommate’s girlfriend is taking a shower and I have the dryer running and they’re basically not even there, even without music running. I turned off the noise cancellation and that shit is loud

I think I’m gonna love these

Cowlick

Banned
I think that's done it. I'm getting the chime from the left bud now, whereas before it would only sound when both left and right were in at the same time. Siri/double-tapping seems to work, too.

Things are bit more temperamental than their "it just works" image, but...

No, wait. Just tested again. Took the left one out, music stopped, put left back in, music didn't resume. Double-tap doesn't work. Put both back in case, closed lid, opened lid, took left one out, chime plays, double-tap works again.

CONCLUSION: I have weird ears and the buds don't know whether they're in or out.

Aurongel

This is one incredibly undercooked Apple product. The tapping feature is incredibly finicky to me and mine refuses to register a double tap as anything but Siri regardless of what I set in the Bluetooth options.

These desperately need some bug fixes and a capacitive strip along the sides of the earbuds allowing for more playback control. This feels like expensive early access to a product that Apple should have waited a generation to ship. Very uncharacteristic of them and highly disappointing.

jts

...hate me...
This is one incredibly undercooked Apple product. The tapping feature is incredibly finicky to me and mine refuses to register a double tap as anything but Siri regardless of what I set in the Bluetooth options.

These desperately need some bug fixes and a capacitive strip along the sides of the earbuds allowing for more playback control. This feels like expensive early access to a product that Apple should have waited a generation to ship. Very uncharacteristic of them and highly disappointing.
They couldn't wait because the AirPods had to be there to create a narrative for the iPhone 7 in which turn had to pave way for the anniversary iPhone (now known as iPhone X). That takes precedent.

And the plan worked, you can see people don't even talk much about the iPhone X's lack of headphone jack. It was to be expected.

Anyway, I somewhat disagree. I won't say they don't have infancy issues but I don't know if they wouldn't have them no matter when they released. Generation 1 is always generation 1... no amount of controlled conditions testing can replace real world testing by hundreds of thousands if not millions, in the most variate conditions possible.

That being said, I love mine. Never had a critical problem, and even the minor issues have been extremely sparse and quickly solved. I even have a 6s+, complete with headphone jack, but there's nothing quite like the freedom and convenience of the AirPods, for me. I'm glad they exist as they are if it means they could be released when they were... which isn't to say, I don't hope they improve in the future. I certainly do.

kaskade

I don’t see it being too difficult for Apple to implement that translate feature like Google has.

Right now you tell the Google Assistant to help me speak french, say your phrase and it translates it into french and displays it on the phone screen. The french speaker then speaks into the phone and then it translates back into english in the buds. Siri has built in translation already. I would think they would really just need to implement that command and allow it to receive the french phrase back.

I don’t know if it would be as smooth as the demo made it seem with the way Siri works right now but I would like to see some version of it.

You'll get the hang of the tapping, took me a couple weeks. As for playback control, my new Apple Watch helps immensely with that. It just sucks I had to resort to that at all.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Went to Best Buy to pick them up, they were all sold out. Supposedly will have some tomorrow, we'll see. Apple shipping won't be here until next week, so hopefully Best Buy has them tomorrow.

Top Bottom