• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you disheartened by modern anime? Why havent you watched Ping Pong the Animation?

This anime is amazing. I've seen it 3 times and each time I watch it I feel so inspired for months. It isn't really a sports anime honestly.

I've been playing Table Tennis seriously for 25+ years, follow the scene and watch any pro match/league I can get my hands on.
This anime treated the sport with respect, no crazy impossible shots or special powers, very good series about the real struggles and pressure of any competitive sport, highly recommended.

KoopaTheCasual

Thanks for all the replies, guys! Didn't know it was the same director, that would definitely explain it. Well I loved Tatami, so now I have ANOTHER reason to definitely watch Ping Pong.

egruntz

shelaughz
Lmfao ITT: OP getting seriously defensive over an anime with dull subject matter and an even duller art style. "WHY DON'T YOU LIKE THE SHITTY THING I LIKE?!"

Why'd you even start a thread if you clearly can't handle the mildest difference in opinion?

Jarate

Banned
Lmfao ITT: OP getting seriously defensive over an anime with dull subject matter and an even duller art style. "WHY DON'T YOU LIKE THE SHITTY THING I LIKE?!"

Why'd you even start a thread if you clearly can't handle the mildest difference in opinion?

4FVqKAL.png

EDIT: Saying Ping Pong is dull is pretty ignorant. You can have an opinion I guess, but a poorly formed one shouldn't be something to be proud of.

Im making sure that people know what this show is. I want people to watch this show because it's one of my favorite pieces of media, and more people deserve to watch it. If someone says it looks bad, of course im going to disagree with them.

I stopped watching 99% of anime. Most of it just blends together with poor writing, 99% being exposition, padded frames, and just general mediocrity. Sure, I could search for a gem within the pile of meh but naw, I've been blighted too much by it.

iammeiam

Girls und Panzer is basically about sports, but the sport is tank battle. It's good, light fun.

I'm also aware of two girls' baseball shows, Princess Nine and Taisho Baseball Girls. I don't know how good they are.

I haven't watched it in ages, but I thought P9 was pretty good back when it came out.

For more fanservicey sports anime there was Battle Athletes: Victory which was I think the first 26-episode anime released on DVD in the US, and a lot better than it had any right to be.

Also I am old and remember when Yawara getting licensed was a thing. Then nobody bought it and it went out of print with only 40 episodes being released in the US. Girl judo, tho.

Funny timing, I started watching this earlier in the week and I adore it. Kinda shocked people think it looks ugly, it's such a cool looking show and it's bursting with passion.

Jarate

Banned
Funny timing, I started watching this earlier in the week and I adore it. Kinda shocked people think it looks ugly, it's such a cool looking show and it's bursting with passion.

A lot of people dont like it because it doesnt feature pretty people doing pretty things. Ping Pong characters look ugly in the sense that they kind of look like normal people. But that just reinforces how realistic the world and characters are.

But then again, there are people out there who like Friends more then Seinfeld

Ryuukan

A lot of people dont like it because it doesnt feature pretty people doing pretty things. Ping Pong characters look ugly in the sense that they kind of look like normal people. But that just reinforces how realistic the world and characters are.

take this line of thinking further and you will reach the true path that dramas are superior to baby anime

embrace 3D

Jarate

Banned
Terrible main character.

Do you mean Peco or Smile?

Both characters grow incredible amounts throughout the show. This is definately a coming of age story. I could see in the beggining seeing them be annoying.

take this line of thinking further and you will reach the true path that dramas are superior to baby anime

embrace 3D

Can we all just admit it? All my children is probably my favorite anime

LotusHD

Banned
Yea, I recommend people check it out as well. Great show. I put it in the trifecta of sports anime (Ippo, Haikyuu, Ping Pong)

Examples of where anime should be headed: One Punch Man, Ping Pong the Animation, Castlevania...

Eww

But then again, there are people out there who like Friends more then Seinfeld

I care for neither.

petran79

Banned
First time I heard about Ping Pong was about the live action movie years ago in a newspaper mini review. Very positive impressions. Movie was going to be screened in a festival.

Few years ago I read the manga. One of the best works I read. Artwork and cinematic motion was incredible.

I watched the movie too and I liked their take on the plot and the differences as well. Actors were one of a kind too and better than the manga. One of the better manga-to-live action adaptations.

Havent bothered with the animated series as it follows the manga and in less detail too.

But I've watched Yuusa's other works.

Modern anime isnt that bad but I say this because I always watch 1 series at a time,not 10.

Trigger's works have some flavour of old Gainax and few other series have very good animation. Some animation veterans are still active. Can tolerate fanservice in Kill la Kill and Flip Flappers.

Jarate

Banned
First time I heard about Ping Pong was about the live action movie years ago in a newspaper mini review. Very positive impressions. Movie was going to be screened in a festival.

Few years ago I read the manga. One of the best works I read. Artwork and cinematic motion was incredible.

I watched the movie too and I liked their take on the plot and the differences as well. Actors were one of a kind too and better than the manga. One of the better manga-to-live action adaptations.

Havent bothered with the animated series as it follows the manga and in less detail too.

Modern anime isnt that bad but I say this because I always watch 1 series at a time,not 10.

Trigger's works have some flavour of old Gainax and few other series have very good animation. Some animation veterans are still active. Can tolerate fanservice in Kill la Kill and Flip Flappers.

Definitely give the anime a try. Seeing some of the scenes animated is an absolute treat

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
It's legit one of the best shows out there. People dismissing it due to aesthetics are doing it a horrible disservice - besides, once you see it in motion most of your complaints will go away. Aside from the incredible characterization and some real heartfelt moments, I think my favorite thing about this show is its pacing. Only 11 episodes long, Ping Pong is a show that doesn't waste your time and respects your attention. It says what it needs to say, and does so with no filler and a satisfying conclusion. It really is crafted with care. Just fucking watch it already you nerds!

Yeah we made a great push for people to watch it so it could win AOTY.

Same with Yamato 2199 which is something else more should check out.
Also Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt, animegaf's first Anime of the year no matter how hard the shadow council may deny it.

StayDead

Shakunetsu no Takkyuu Musume is the only Takyuu anime for me. (I'll watch Ping Pong at some point, not on the agenda right away though).

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
The fact that it has any artistic voice at all is more than I can say for 90% of the anime that crosses my desk.

plus

yeah ping pong is pretty amazing. and while i wouldn't want all my anime to look like ping pong art-wise, the style really, really works for the medium and plays second fiddle to the amazing story and character development. just a realistic, no bullshit story about competition and what it means to different people.

Ping Pong is far from the only good anime to come out in the past couple years, but it is one of the best. That it was able to be so good despite the insanely short production time is a testament to Yuasa's skills as a director. It's got the worst animation of any Yuasa work, thanks to being so rushed, but the use of stylized manga-esque frames was a good way to compensate for that deficiency, and Yuasa's understanding of the material allows the strengths of the characters and story to shine through.

I'll also commend the anime for getting Chinese actors able to legitimately speak Mandarin for Wong and his coach.

Also Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt, animegaf's first Anime of the year no matter how hard the shadow council may deny it.

That will forever be a black mark against AnimeGAF.

Hattori

Banned
I stopped watching 99% of anime. Most of it just blends together with poor writing, 99% being exposition, padded frames, and just general mediocrity. Sure, I could search for a gem within the pile of meh but naw, I've been blighted too much by it.
Watch Kemono Friends

Kientin

I freaking love this show, 2nd favorite anime right under Monster. The art style is perfect for the story they are telling and the mood they are setting. Like the OP said, the animation is indeed wonderful. I'm getting in the mood to rewatch this now...

Despera

Banned
Well apparently I'm a Yuasa fan. Kaiba, Tatami and Ping Pong are all great quirky shows.

When it comes to anime fatigue it's a combination of getting tired of well established shounen narratives and tropes (something younger generations will experience as fresh and new while veterans will just skip and look at as another one of those animes) and new trends that value merchandising sexualised young characters.

Just be glad that every year or so there's at least 1 or 2 worthwhile and interesting projects.

Elfstar

One of the best anime of all times indeed, but unfortunately you can't really recommend it to just everyone, its artstyle (which i love) is pretty divisive and actually puts a lot of people off, and that's really a shame.

Almost all sports anime seem to revolve around male characters only with only one or two female side characters at all. What sports anime actually follows a female team/protagonist? I actually tried looking for one recently but the only one I found was Keijo.

There were plenty of them back in the 80s and the 90s. Nowadays a female driven sports anime would just be a fanservice-oriented product aimed at male otakus, while modern female audience prefer to watch shows filled with cute boys flirting with each other.

Ninjimbo

Ping Pong is great and all, but the tone of the OP sucks and there's plenty of anime out there that you can put on the same level. Take for example Chihayafuru: that show can be moe as fuck but it's just as impactful as anything in Ping Pong and it looks about a dozen times better. The soundtrack is also god tier.

Don't make Ping Pong out to be something it's not. It's a good show. Leave it at that. No need to declare it the savior of anime or something.

cyress8

Banned
yCmzVf5.gif

LITERALLY TOO PAINFUL TO WATCH

PS: People don't like sports anime because it usually tends to be a mediocre shonen that uses sports as a gimmick. It will then explain to you every single detail, no matter how dumb just so newcomers can understand.

Ping Pong isn't a sports anime. Ping Pong is a character drama with a sports backdrop that just happens to be there.

Is that fucker rocking some converse shoes while walking all swag-like up to the table?

I agree with the OP. It is frustrating to find great anime shows. Most recommendations dont work for me, except Ping Pong was a neat surprise. Has a great opening song which I didnt cringe at for once. I also enjoyed Mob Psycho (but not One Punch Hero that much).

However I will say that this is true for many mediums but is more difficult to find unique, original decent new shows that dont pander as it is way too risky and costly do to that in the animation field.

The things the anime changes/adds make it worth watching.

javac

Whenever I see somebody calling the artstyle hideous and ugly, I become extremely sad and then extremely angry...then sad again.

Is that fucker rocking some converse shoes while walking all swag-like up to the table?

These kids don't mess around, I tell ya.

Also this is an amazing anime and if you don't give it a watch because the art style isn't super clean then that's your prerogative but you're missing out.

Elfstar

Whenever I see somebody calling the artstyle hideous and ugly, I become extremely sad and then extremely angry...then sad again.

Yeah, PPTA is probably not the right thing to bring up for your "anime is actually cool" show-off, because this is what happens most of the time.

Top Bottom