• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Greenlight: 1000 games and counting, more Greenlit every few weeks

Oh man, I don't think I like these new Greenlight stats page, hah. Now I'm depressed. :p

Oil Blue:

greenlightgah1.jpg

Cook, Serve, Delicious:

greenlightgah2.jpg

Thought to be fair, Cook, Serve, Delicious was on there before people knew about it via Giantbomb, so they probably thought it was another diner dash clone.

So much for Steam. Ah well.

Didnt know you had a second game. And dont bother. Some "Gamers" doesnt even know what good games are until they saw 1000000 reviews with 10/10. Maybe getting into a "Greenlight Bundle" would help

Burekma

But the thing is it's not like they're running out of shelf space, and I'm not familiar with other games on the Steam store in the same categories as say, The Oil Blue or the cooking game. Or pinball for that matter.

I guess I don't really feel it explains why they would reject a game, unless they're purely trying to avoid an iOS-esque app store situation of so many cheap games and applications. I really don't know.

Lol, that's exactly what they're doing. And it's been pretty apparent for the last 4, 5 years?

If they didn't have a curated store with a limited number of open release slots per week/month, they wouldn't really need anyone to decide which games get through or not. They'd just let them all through from the beginning. The fact that greenlight exists is proof enough the slots are limited, and the current rate for indies seems to be ~10 per month.

Sooo... BoneTown is on Greenlight. For those who don't know about it, it's an awful sex game presented as a sandbox.

In order to be elegible for approval, they have removed all the nudity. Will this get Greenlighted thanks to mindless horny teenagers that can't read for shit? I guess that segment of the Steam userbase doesn't bother with Greenlight, but still it should be fun to watch.

Sooo... BoneTown is on Greenlight. For those who don't know about it, it's an awful sex game presented as a sandbox.

In order to be elegible for approval, they have removed all the nudity. Will this get Greenlighted thanks to mindless horny teenagers that can't read for shit? I guess that segment of the Steam userbase doesn't bother with Greenlight, but still it should be fun to watch.

RKe0mb5.jpg

Is that a dick in her pants, or is she just happy to see me?

KDR_11k

I vote no when I'm not interested in a game. I kinda doubt that Valve holds it that much against the games since there's gotta be a whole lot of "no" voting.

Tizoc

Just a heads up that Chester is on sale fo $1 over at Desura.
It's a platformer and is available for Greenlight.

Haunted

Oh man, I don't think I like these new Greenlight stats page, hah. Now I'm depressed. :p

Oil Blue:

greenlightgah1.jpg

Cook, Serve, Delicious:

greenlightgah2.jpg

Thought to be fair, Cook, Serve, Delicious was on there before people knew about it via Giantbomb, so they probably thought it was another diner dash clone.

4JWdo.png

That makes me unhappy :( People have no taste.

batteryLeakage

Neo Member
Here's a full shot of the stats for my game, Love+.

Game looks cool. I said Yes. Shame there are so many No responses. I didn't bother reading the comments on the Greenlight page because I know they'd piss me off.
Greenlight User said:
We dont ned no shitty flash gam on Steem. How can i hav fun if im not grinding for hours?
My impression of the comments I typically see on Greenlight.

Voted Yes for these too. I hope it manages to work out eventually.

We fell in love with Escape Goat
Yeah Escape Goat is fucking sick. Needs to be greenlit.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Some interesting games that showed in my queue:

Stardew Valley

637x358.resizedimage

Looks like Harvest Moon. :)

Turn your overgrown field into a lively farm! Gather resources and use them to build a variety of farm buildings. You'll have plenty of space to set up your farm just how you like.

Improve your skills over time. As you make your way from a struggling peasant to a master farmer, you'll level up and earn skill points to distribute in 6 different areas: farming, mining, digging, fishing, foraging, and luck. As you progress, you'll learn new cooking and crafting recipes, and unlock new areas to explore.

Become part of the local community. With over 30 unique characters living in Stardew Valley, you won't have a problem finding new friends! Each person has their own daily schedule, unique mini-cutscenes, and new things to say throughout the week and year. As you make friends with them, they will open up to you, ask you for help with their personal troubles, or tell you their secrets!

Explore a vast, mysterious cave. The Stardew Valley caves are uniquely generated each time you start a new character. Your progress in the cave is saved, so you don't have to worry about making it to the bottom in one day. As you dig deeper and deeper, you'll encounter new and dangerous monsters, different environments, valuable gemstones, raw materials for crafting and upgrading tools, and mysteries to be uncovered.

Court and marry a partner to share your life on the farm with. There are 10 available bachelors and bachelorettes to woo. Date around for a while to get to know your options before you decide on a special someone. Follow your heart and pick any of the 10 eligibles. Your spouse will live on the farm with you and even help you out with chores.

Spend a relaxing afternoon at one of the local fishing spots. The waters are teeming with seasonal varieties of delicious fish. Craft bobbers to help you in your journey to catch every fish and become a local fishing legend!

Contribute to the field of archaeology. Dig around for ancient artifacts and bring them to the local archaeology office. Turn them in for money, resources, items, or even to expand the town library.Strive to discover every artifact!

Cook delicious meals and craft useful items to help you out. With over 100 cooking and crafting recipes, you'll have a wide variety of items to create. Some dishes you cook will even give you temporary boosts to skills, running speed, or combat prowess. Craft useful objects like scarecrows, oil makers, furnaces, or even the rare and expensive crystalarium.

Customize the appearance of your character and house. Play as a boy or girl and choose from a variety of skin, hair, eye, and clothes colors. The local shop has new wallpaper and floor styles avaible every day. Craft a wide variety of decorative items to furnish your house. As you upgrade your house you'll have more room to decorate!

Compete to become the next Stardew Hero. You'll have two years on the farm to prove your abilities... if you do well enough, you might even beat out the competition to win the coveted title of Stardew Hero! Don't worry, you can keep playing forever after the competition is over.

Over an hour of original music. Each season has 3 unique themes, and as your progress in the mine you'll discover new tunes waiting around the corner. Once you've heard a song, you can play it whenever you like from the jukebox in Gus' Saloon.

Strive to earn over 80 achievements.

Ooh. Ooh. I need this. Like Harvest Moon with a touch of Animal Crossing and Terraria. I don't even care if it's on Steam, I'll buy it anywhere.

Catshade

Have this been discussed yet?

Valve Boss Gabe Newell Pans Steam Greenlight, Future of Feature Unknown

According to the latest tally from Valve, Steam users have Greenlit 42 games since the community driven system launched in September. Based on recent comments from the big boss himself, Gabe Newell, there might not be many more. In a talk at the University of Texas, Newell said Greenlight is a "bad example of an election process" and admitted Valve might axe it completely.

"It's probably bad for the Steam community, in the long run, not to move to a different way of thinking about that," Newell said. "In other words, we should stop being a dictator and move towards much more participatory, peer-based methods of sanctioning player behavior."

"Greenlight is a bad example of an election process. We came to the conclusion pretty quickly that we could just do away with Greenlight completely, because it was a bottleneck rather than a way for people to communicate choice."

Des0lar

will learn eventually
I knew they would see reason. Greenlight as it is now, doesn't work. They need to overhaul it completely.

batteryLeakage

Neo Member
That Gabe is a smart guy. But what would they do? I can't see them taking the approval process in-house again. Gabe has been saying (rightly) that they have been a bottleneck.

That Gabe is a smart guy. But what would they do? I can't see them taking the approval process in-house again. Gabe has been saying (rightly) that they have been a bottleneck.

He has been talking about opening up the store API.

Valve will still have an approval process for the steam store, but you could buy the games from our fellow GAFfers who's games aren't getting greenlit on the NeoGAF steam store or something along those lines.

Shaneus

He has been talking about opening up the store API.

Valve will still have an approval process for the steam store, but you could buy the games from our fellow GAFfers who's games aren't getting greenlit on the NeoGAF steam store or something along those lines.
I just realised (they were talking about it on Idle Thumbs) that this could be perfect for something like Pinball Arcade. FarSight are a big(gish) enough developer to be able to handle something like payments and key distribution but having payment methods and marketing outside of Steam. At least they wouldn't have to wait for Greenlight to give them the go ahead and there should be enough scope within the API (keep in mind, I haven't watched Gabe's talk yet) to allow for management of things like DLC.

Sounds cool but potentially a huge security issue

Yeah, Gabe vaguely mentioned that they would have to figure out malware detection stuff.

I just realised (they were talking about it on Idle Thumbs) that this could be perfect for something like Pinball Arcade. FarSight are a big(gish) enough developer to be able to handle something like payments and key distribution but having payment methods and marketing outside of Steam. At least they wouldn't have to wait for Greenlight to give them the go ahead and there should be enough scope within the API (keep in mind, I haven't watched Gabe's talk yet) to allow for management of things like DLC.

Payment processing is the biggest question I've been having about this model.

I don't think valve would want to take away their payment facilitation for both revenue reasons and the desire to maintain a consistent, safe and secure transaction experience in steam. But if they do this, it seems like things could get kinda weird around disputes such as refunds regarding a game's quality and what have you. I suppose Valve would have to implement some sort of automated refunds system similar to what Android has (or better yet, what Android had)

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I knew Steam Greenlight was fucked up when Postal 2 Complete gets greenlit and Shantae: Risky's Revenge is still in limbo.

Paging The Take Out Bandit...

I still don't understand the Greenlight concept. If a game gets 5,000 yes votes, why wouldn't Steam offer to sell their game? Clearly there are people who want it, and it is basically free money for valve.

How can Apple handle 211,000 different developers/publishers in a timely manner but Valve has only approved 40 some games in over four months?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I still don't understand the Greenlight concept. If a game gets 5,000 yes votes, why wouldn't Steam offer to sell their game? Clearly there are people who want it, and it is basically free money for valve.
Offering it for sale and putting it on the front page of their curated store are two different things. I think Gabe came to the same conclusion you did though.

How can Apple handle 211,000 different developers/publishers in a timely manner but Valve has only approved 40 some games in over four months?

You're right,

However if it were that easy then every single game on Greenlight would be on steam (as it would be easy enough to make 6,000 fake accounts), and we wouldn't want that either. (at least not on the steam front-page)

ArjanN

I guess Valve don't want their store to be a pile of shit like Apple.

Blizzard

Banned
I'd be fine with this, especially if Valve has people to take a look at entries and see what's quality or not. The case has been that it's not necessarily quality games that are getting through, but stuff like Bad Rats on the main store, and the "not finished and now we have to do a kickstarter" games on Greenlight, while other games may be completely finished, ALSO appear to be high quality, yet aren't on the store.

I too hope Shantae eventually gets through. Quality-wise is there any argument against it?

Minsc

Gold Member

How honorable of them to protect us from the heap of crap otherwise known as The Pinball Arcade (released on XBLA, PSN, Android, Kindle Fire, iOS, OSX, and soon to be Wii U and Ouya).

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
How honorable of them to protect us from the heap of crap otherwise known as The Pinball Arcade (released on XBLA, PSN, Android, Kindle Fire, iOS, OSX, and soon to be Wii U and Ouya).

come on, Minsc

you saw the shit that came up on Greenlight when they first started the service

ArjanN

It's more about the 8000 fart apps per week you'd see released. I'm not saying there's not good games being held up now, but it makes sense to not just release everything, or everything at once.

Shaneus

You're right,

However if it were that easy then every single game on Greenlight would be on steam (as it would be easy enough to make 6,000 fake accounts), and we wouldn't want that either. (at least not on the steam front-page)
So the problem is that we didn't organise 6,000 fake accounts in a narrow enough period?

Yeah, I don't know what I'd do without Postal 2 Complete being on there. Or an even larger number of games that haven't even been finished yet.

:(

You'd really think they'd use some kind of logic here. Same goes for a game like WRC3 (though I'm even more sketchy on how/why that hasn't been published on there already, outside of Greenlight).

It's more about the 8000 fart apps per week you'd see released. I'm not saying there's not good games being held up now, but it makes sense to not just release everything, or everything at once.

There is a glut of garbage on Amazon and the App store, yet both of those are wildly successful and fairly well liked.

ArjanN

Yeah, I don't know what I'd do without Postal 2 Complete being on there. Or an even larger number of games that haven't even been finished yet.

My post was replying to :

"How can Apple handle 211,000 different developers/publishers in a timely manner but Valve has only approved 40 some games in over four months?"

and the answer is that Apple actually can't and/or just doesn't give a shit.

I'm sure another big reason is that Valve wants to keep the number of releases lower is so that everything doesn't get immediately buried.

There is a glut of garbage on Amazon and the App store, yet both of those are wildly successful and fairly well liked.

They'd be much more liked if they were better moderated.

Top Bottom