• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Speaking of headphones, i'm surprised current day retro third party makers havent created a viable GBA SP headphone adapter.

Maybe they don't see the need? NDS and NDSL was such a ubiquitous handheld at the time, and they have GBA playback. I'm sure it would be hard to make a profit on such a niche adapter.

I do remember 3rd parties having some available while the SP was new tho.

It looks it. I was just saying how 1st impressions aren't always correct. I'd rather play on a DMG, GBA or Super Gameboy. I have no interest in modding my GBC. Neo Geo Pocket on the other hand....
Yeah I understand what you meant, I'm just saying that he isn't the only one who's said publically that it's garbage. He might not be the most reliable, but since others have corroborated what he showed in that video, you can take it at face value.

A GBC backlighting solution that doesn't fuck up the colors is the dream for me. A good video out mod might be just as good, though.

Yeah, people have been doing comparable mods for years.

Also, like sheepy alluded to, that screen is awful. It's an improvement if all you care about is clarity in stills, but that's about it.

The dream is to come up with a backlighting method for the original GBC LCD that doesn't totally obliterate colors or contrast.
Oh, unrelated, has anyone found a larger capacity battery compatible with GBMs yet? The battery I have for mine is being really weird.

Peltz

Yeah I understand what you meant, I'm just saying that he isn't the only one who's said publically that it's garbage. He might not be the most reliable, but since others have corroborated what he showed in that video, you can take it at face value.

A GBC backlighting solution that doesn't fuck up the colors is the dream for me. A good video out mod might be just as good, though.
GB Player + GBI ULL + component cables.

Yes it's expensive, but it's as good as GBC could ever possibly get in my opinion. It's razor sharp pixel perfection.

Kawika

Yes it's expensive, but it's as good as GBC could ever possibly get in my opinion. It's razor sharp pixel perfection.

Also the NT Mini is another good choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQlxF3EsmxA

If you don't already have the cables, the gamecube and the gbp and a rgb monitor and/or a XRGB/OSSC the NT might be a good alternative for pre - gba stuff.

I am not married to the form factor of the gbc so I would just play it on a back lit gba.

I want to be able to play on an actual gameboy, is the issue. Also, since I already use a wii for basically all my NGC/Wii/Emu needs, i'm finding it hard to justify the gamecube as a glorified console gameboy.
Oh, I should ask on the off chance anyone knows: Do games with NGC -> GBA interactivity (particularly the pokemon games) work with a homebrew wii? Or am I stuck with using an NGC?

Exeunt

Oh, I should ask on the off chance anyone knows: Do games with NGC -> GBA interactivity (particularly the pokemon games) work with a homebrew wii? Or am I stuck with using an NGC?

As long as you have the necessary GBA to GC link cable, a GBA/GBA SP, and a Wii that has GC controller ports, Colosseum and XD work just fine with a GBA-Wii setup. You'd have to do additional research to determine if there are any edge cases, but I'm pretty sure that anything using the GBA-GC link cable works exactly the same as it does on original GC hardware (since that's essentially what the Wii is running off of in GameCube mode).

As long as you have the necessary GBA to GC link cable, a GBA/GBA SP, and a Wii that has GC controller ports, Colosseum and XD work just fine with a GBA-Wii setup. You'd have to do additional research to determine if there are any edge cases, but I'm pretty sure that anything using the GBA-GC link cable works exactly the same as it does on original GC hardware (since that's essentially what the Wii is running off of in GameCube mode).
Yeah, after posting I did a bit of research and other people seem to agree with you. I guess the only question is if using a USB loader/Nintendont instead of a real disc impacts compatibility. Seems unlikely but it's hard to know with these things.

Exeunt

Yeah, after posting I did a bit of research and other people seem to agree with you. I guess the only question is if using a USB loader/Nintendont instead of a real disc impacts compatibility. Seems unlikely but it's hard to know with these things.

Load times aside, I highly doubt there's any difference between using a backup and running the disc itself after you've booted the game. I think I've traded Pokémon after booting from a USB loader, but I can probably double check for you this weekend if it helps.

Load times aside, I highly doubt there's any difference between using a backup and running the disc itself after you've booted the game. I think I've traded Pokémon after booting from a USB loader, but I can probably double check for you this weekend if it helps.

I don't really see any reason why it wouldn't work, either, but I'm not sure how these things work. I'm in no rush, but if it's convenient for you to check sometime, I'd appreciate you filling me in.

Exeunt

I don't really see any reason why it wouldn't work, either, but I'm not sure how these things work. I'm in no rush, but if it's convenient for you to check sometime, I'd appreciate you filling me in.

No problem. It should be easy to do a quick test, so feel free to shoot me a PM as a reminder if I haven't posted again by Monday.

EDIT: I successfully traded Pokémon between XD booted via USB through Nintendont and a FireRed cartridge without any issues. Just make sure you've enabled "Native Controls" in the Nintendont settings; the option explicitly states it's required for GBA link compatibility, so it should be easy to find/remember.

Hey all, wanted to ask about dumping GBA games and a flash card. I only have about twenty games but I'd really like the convenience to have them all at once on my Micro. Is the best method still using a DS flash card setup or are there simpler solutions to bring them to my PC and then over to a GBA flash card? Thanks for any insight!

No problem. It should be easy to do a quick test, so feel free to shoot me a PM as a reminder if I haven't posted again by Monday.

EDIT: I successfully traded Pokémon between XD booted via USB through Nintendont and a FireRed cartridge without any issues. Just make sure you've enabled "Native Controls" in the Nintendont settings; the option explicitly states it's required for GBA link compatibility, so it should be easy to find/remember.
appreciate it!

TheFuzz

Well, my quest to find a copy of Metroid Zero Mission ended nicely. I sniped a copy from an eBay seller right after she listed it. Turns out she sells exercise wear but was unloading her sons old collection. Checked the serial number, cart, etc and it runs perfect. Cartridge only but was $15.

Well, my quest to find a copy of Metroid Zero Mission ended nicely. I sniped a copy from an eBay seller right after she listed it. Turns out she sells exercise wear but was unloading her sons old collection. Checked the serial number, cart, etc and it runs perfect. Cartridge only but was $15.

That is fantastic. Love catching deals like that!

Havoc2049

I'm geeked, because I've finally snagged the last issue of Gamers' Republic, which is fairly rare and hardly ever shows up on ebay. Gamers' Republic was my favorite video game magazine from the late 90's and early 2000's and I love Circle of the Moon.
WP_20170507_07_57_36_Rich1_zpsitydlu88.jpg

Teknoman

Funny thing, i just realized I didnt have Circle of the Moon a couple days back. How that happened...i'm not sure. Fixed that quickly.

I'm geeked, because I've finally snagged the last issue of Gamers' Republic, which is fairly rare and hardly ever shows up on ebay. Gamers' Republic was my favorite video game magazine from the late 90's and early 2000's and I love Circle of the Moon.
WP_20170507_07_57_36_Rich1_zpsitydlu88.jpg

Awesome. Was this one of the successors to Game Fan?

I just played, and beat, zero mission for the first time. It's reallllllly good.

v1perz53

Yeah I think I played it in 2013 or 2014 and liked it a lot too. Holds up so much better than OG Metroid, lol.

Yea, OG Metroid was a great game but man do some of the original aspects not hold up well. Like dying or putting in a password to reload a save and having to shoot bugs coming out of a tube for 10 minutes to refill your HP, or the fact that you have to know the specific rooms to bomb specific tiles to get either of the ice beams, and can totally miss both if you don't bomb everything. Zero Mission is a fantastic update, and pretty damn close to my perfect Metroid game.

Yeah I think I played it in 2013 or 2014 and liked it a lot too. Holds up so much better than OG Metroid, lol.

That's putting it mild lol. My plan was to play the series in release order starting with metroid 1 on the fds but my God it hasn't aged well. It's just so obtuse, Grindy and unforgiving. The lack of a map is devastating when I can only play a game in short sessions. I just don't have the time or patience to play something like that anymore when an incredible remake is sitting there infront of me.

Now I'm wondering if I even bother with 2 or do I just play Am2r in its place... I'm leaning towards Am2r

Play 2 if only because the gameboy sprites have such character.

Unrelated, are there many fake NTSC-J gba games? thinking of picking up a couple.

I really enjoyed Metroid 2. It has amazing atmosphere. No map in that either but the level design is logical and there is battery back-up so you don't have to worry about those damn passwords.

just getting to collecting gba and I'm wondering what some of the must have titles are

I think it depends on what genres you like but in general you can't go wrong with the following IMO.

Metroid Zero Mission
Metroid Fusion
Zelda Minish Cap
Golden Sun
Golden Sun Lost Age
Fire Emblem
Fire Emblem Sacred Stones
Castlevania Aria of Sorrow
Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance
Advance Wars
Advance Wars 2
Mega Man Zero games
Mega Man Battle Network games
Drill Dozer
Mario Kart

You can also consider some of the NES/SNES ports as well. Some are much more affordable than their NES/SNES counterparts and of course they are portable.

That's still leaving out a lot of must own games and games that you will probably want depending on the type of games you like. Personally I think the Gameboy Advance library is better than a lot of people give it credit for but maybe it's just a good fit for my tastes.

MattyH

I think it depends on what genres you like but in general you can't go wrong with the following IMO.

Metroid Zero Mission
Metroid Fusion
Zelda Minish Cap
Golden Sun
Golden Sun Lost Age
Fire Emblem
Advance Wars
Advance Wars 2
Mega Man Zero games
Drill Dozer
Mario Kart

You can also consider some of the NES/SNES ports as well. Some are much more affordable than their NES/SNES counterparts and of course they are portable.

That's still leaving out a lot of must own games and games that you will probably want depending on the type of games you like. Personally I think the Gameboy Advance library is better than a lot of people give it credit for but maybe it's just a good fit for my tastes.

metroids are a must and possibly golden sun

Peltz

Metroid Zero Mission
Metroid Fusion
Zelda Minish Cap
Golden Sun
Golden Sun Lost Age
Fire Emblem
Advance Wars
Advance Wars 2
Mega Man Zero games
Drill Dozer
Mario Kart

I agree with you there. Nintendo's output on the device was fantastic and it got great 3rd party support.

I'd add the F-Zero games and Circle of the Moon to your list.

Well, yea... I need to play this someday.

Looks like a GBC with black light does/did exist. Story behind it is pretty crazy.

This does not compute
This was discussed a while back. AFAIK, no one has heard anything since that thread that Rich posted.

I still don't understand why people are so convinced of the veracity of that post, though. Or the one in this guy's video, since he's been known for misinformation in the past. idk.

MattyH

so ive grabbed a SP (£22) sadly not a 101 but thats in the pipeline and the following games
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 (£5)
Golden Sun (£10)
Harry Potter And The Philosophers Stone (£5)
The Sims Bustin Out (£6)
Pokemon Ruby (was marked at £10 but talked the guy down to £8 due to dead battery)
Advance Wars (£10)
Sim City 2000 (£8) this one was boxed and in good condition
Yoshis Island Super Mario Advance 3 (£10)
Super Mario World Super Mario Advance 2 (£10)

Figured this is the best place to ask, if I wanted to grab a modded GBA, is there any good place to do so? I see a bunch on eBay, but wasn't sure if there was a better place.

Just finished Super Metroid again last week so started another playthrough of Metroid Zero Mission . While it's not quite the classic Super Metroid is it's probably the next best thing.

Wish Nintendo would revisit some of these series that shined on the GBA. Metroid, Advance Wars, Golden Sun, Castlevania (fund it or whatever), Mega Man (again fund it or whatever).

Top Bottom