• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman 5 viral marketing hints at E3 reveal [Hitman: Absolution]

Zoibie

industrialfan225 said:
Wasn't there rumors about this that popped up a little while ago? That it turned into a cover shooter and Agent 47 had a beard or something?

Oh god, I hope not!

spicy cho

Exciting news, let's hope the series sticks to its roots as it's one of the last standing stealth franchises I can think of. No reason to doubt though, Blood Money was easily the best entry yet.

MMaRsu

Banned
n0b said:
"Gameplay: the player deals with the 2 guards outside as he sees fit."

This is the only thing that bugs me. "Deal with" better include climbing out of the window and ignoring them. If they force confrontations in the game, then they are misunderstanding what makes the series so amazing.

Blood Money is one of the best games of this generation, so even though some of the rumors about this game worry me, I am still confident that IO will deliver. I hope they can improve the graphics and characters through what they have learned since the last hitman, as long as the gameplay doesn't suffer.

One can only hope..

MMaRsu

Banned
valentine71 said:
I want HD compilation too! :(

Probably NEVER going to happen. You know how much time that would take? The first game is.. well very glitchy and awkward these days.

MMaRsu said:
Probably NEVER going to happen. You know how much time that would take? The first game is.. well very glitchy and awkward these days.

I know but still want it. Those games had so much replay value. I remember the first time i played Blood Money. That game is very special.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
MMaRsu said:

I dunno i think you can safely skip the first game from any compilation, it wasn't good and it was PC only unlike the other games. That would leave us with Silent Assasin 2, Contracts and Blood Money for a possible HD trilogy, actually now that i think about it would be smart to make such a package because the Hitman franchise has been dormant for a very long time and compilation would put the series back into the public eye.

To expand on my post above...

Arguably Io Interactive hasn't put out a good game since Hitman: Blood Money. The Kane & Lynch games leave much to be desired, Dead Men is an entirely average and forgettable shooter while Dog Days is as average a shooter that has some redeeming qualities with its interesting presentation and environment art. Each are worth the 5$ I paid for them and little else. The Kane and Lynch games are a huge drop-off in quality compared to the later Hitman games. Mini-Ninja's is...whatever, I have no interest in the game.

It's been nearly five years since Blood Money, arguably their last good game, was released. Io have laid off a number of employees and some have left Io Interactive to form a new start whose name currently escapes me. Then there's rumblings that this will be a reboot of sorts. Skeptical doesn't begin to describe it.

jaundicejuice said:
To expand on my post above...

Arguably Io Interactive hasn't put out a good game since Hitman: Blood Money. The Kane & Lynch games leave much to be desired, Dead Men is an entirely average and forgettable shooter while Dog Days is as average a shooter that has some redeeming qualities with its interesting presentation and environment art. Each are worth the 5$ I paid for them and little else. The Kane and Lynch games are a huge drop-off in quality compared to the later Hitman games. Mini-Ninja's is...whatever, I have no interest in the game.

It's been nearly five years since Blood Money, arguably their last good game, was released. Io have laid off a number of employees and some have left Io Interactive to form a new start whose name currently escapes me. Then there's rumblings that this will be a reboot of sorts. Skeptical doesn't begin to describe it.
Like I said, as one of this series biggest fans:
If you reboot, I won't buy
If you make just another Hitman game, I won't buy it.

Good luck IO

I don't care if it's a reboot or a direct continuation of the Hitman series so long as it's true to the spirit of the older games. The way Deus Ex: Human Revolution looks like it's a sequel to the first game and not Invisible War. If they go the DmC "Why woud you do that?' route, then there's a problem.

jaundicejuice said:
I don't care if it's a reboot or a direct continuation of the Hitman series so long as it's true to the spirit of the older games. The way Deus Ex: Human Revolution looks like it's a sequel to the first game and not Invisible War. If they go the DmC "Why woud you do that?' route, then there's a problem.
Well we will have to see. I hope they aren't going to update the character model in any way. 47 is too iconic for them to screw with. If they change the looks and feel and controls and previous story (what of it there is) they are going to fail. If they talk about wanting to bring in new fans with a new approach and new looks and give us: 'not just the ol' grumpy hitman we are used to. We think people have always wanted 47 to be more of an action hero like Jason Stathman. we want him to have 'more personality'' THEN we have cause for concern. Unfortunately, I think the things I just listed are the most likely to happen.

Prophet Steve said:
I think he is referring to Max Payne 3 maybe.
htv03536xf.jpg

Complete reboot of the series and Agent 47
Agent 47's got beard! (WTF?!)
Heavy focus on story
47's "assignments" are more open mission just like in the previous titles
The game features more linear missions when 47 isn't on an assignment, with focus on guns and cover
The game is being developed along with the second Hitman-movie
You get to play as other killers, not only 47. One of the assassins is a woman.
David Bateson is lending out his voice as 47 yet again

that was just the rumor, given how bad IO's recent games were, I wouldn't be surprised

overcast

Can't wait! This game better live up to the hitman name.

Just make me Agent 47 again. Don't make him a renegade with a beard, don't inject cover system mechanics, let me be a proper fucking hitman.

Ezduo

Banned
Fucking finally. Dammed stealth genre is on life support with even Splinter Cell trying as hard as possible to break away, time to bring it on back.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
industrialfan225 said:
http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/5079/htv03536xf.jpg[img]

that was just the rumor, given how bad IO's recent games were, I wouldn't be surprised[/QUOTE]

what is all this stuff?

Gravijah

industrialfan225 said:
http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/5079/htv03536xf.jpg[img]

that was just the rumor, given how bad IO's recent games were, I wouldn't be surprised[/QUOTE]

damn now [I]that[/I] is a game

tc farks

Really need to get around to Blood Money. I'm just now getting around to another 06' game in Twilight Princess as of now.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Err, do we have any other info to back this up? Because the whole 'Hitman Series.RU' thing on the first image is blatantly Photoshopped and not part of the original image.

EDIT: Oh I see, it's a watermark. Nevermind.

tc farks said:
Really need to get around to Blood Money. I'm just now getting around to another 06' game in Twilight Princess as of now.
If it wasn't on the PS2 I would have played it by now. I had a BC ps3 but at that point I played ps2 but I never bought another one.

Holepunch

n0b said:
"Gameplay: the player deals with the 2 guards outside as he sees fit."

This is the only thing that bugs me. "Deal with" better include climbing out of the window and ignoring them. If they force confrontations in the game, then they are misunderstanding what makes the series so amazing.

Blood Money is one of the best games of this generation, so even though some of the rumors about this game worry me, I am still confident that IO will deliver. I hope they can improve the graphics and characters through what they have learned since the last hitman, as long as the gameplay doesn't suffer.
Interfectum said:
What bugs me about that is it looks like you are being guided through the level. In Blood Money you were dropped in a sandbox with a target that needs to be offed. How you did that was completely up to you.
You're both forgetting that the ever so loved Blood Money started with a tutorial level where your hand was held along a linear path. The game flat-out orders you to kill over a dozen guards along with an innocent scientist and secretary. After that though, the rest of the game was open-ended assassinations. So I wouldn't panic just yet.

Woffls

Awesome. It makes sense that it has been in development, but I just hope they've made it more dynamic and complex instead of more linear and brotacular.

Blood Money is incredible, and I got all the achievements without it once feeling like a chore. I've even gone back to it recently on PC just playing with a friend and comparing how we approached missions differently. All the hours I spent on it, and I still didn't know all the methods.

If this turns out to be accurate, then great, I can't wait to play it. If not, I've got enough to be excited about to not worry, but what would concern me is that enough people think that Hitman is no longer a viable franchise. And that would be rather sad. =(

CloudWolf

I approve of this.

I still occasionally pop in Hitman: Blood Money to see if I can figure out new ways to kill the targets.

Clott

It's not broken, the games still sell and the fans still love it, there is absolutely no reason to dudebro this to hell.

n0b

Holepunch said:
You're both forgetting that the ever so loved Blood Money started with a tutorial level where your hand was held along a linear path. The game flat-out orders you to kill over a dozen guards along with an innocent scientist and secretary. After that though, the rest of the game was open-ended assassinations. So I wouldn't panic just yet.

I'm not forgetting that, I actually felt like mentioning it, but if this stuff is just a tutorial level then I wont mind it, just like I didn't mind it in Blood Money. I didn't post it because my main concern is that it continues through the rest of the game.

(Also, technically there are only two people in that level besides the target that you have to kill. It just requires an approach that is counter to how you play the rest of the game. Though now I am actually wondering if it is possible to do it without killing anybody...I'll have to try that later.)

zlatko

Banned
Clott said:
It's not broken, the games still sell and the fans still love it, there is absolutely no reason to dudebro this to hell.

I've never played a Hitman game myself, but I watched a friend play one(not sure which) and thought it looked fun.

If they do any changes to the formula I actually would like to see a multiplayer component, but that's all I ask as someone who would be totally new to the franchise. Like you said though I hope they don't dudebro it up in any other ways. :)

Clott said:
Trial and error games are getting pushed out in favor of accessibility. I wouldn't count on Hitman staying the course. To play a Hitman game, you have to fail, and fail repeatedly. The landscape of game design has changed since the Blood Money.

plc268

subversus said:
the only request I have - please make a save system that doesn't erase all your mission progress when you quit the game in the middle of the mission.

The game seemed to be quite cool but when I learned that you can't save you progress if you quit I loled and uninstalled the game.

It's a shame, because I thought the same thing initially.

However, it's not really that much of a problem, IMO. The missions themselves are actually very short, but a lot of the gameplay involves some trial and error. I don't really mind starting a level over sometimes as I'll be better at it than the last time.

My point is: you need to reinstall Blood Money and give it another shot. I don't think it'll disappoint.

Holepunch

n0b said:
I'm not forgetting that, I actually felt like mentioning it, but if this stuff is just a tutorial level then I wont mind it, just like I didn't mind it in Blood Money. I didn't post it because my main concern is that it continues through the rest of the game.

(Also, technically there are only two people in that level besides the target that you have to kill. It just requires an approach that is counter to how you play the rest of the game. Though now I am actually wondering if it is possible to do it without killing anybody...I'll have to try that later.)
Figured someone might mention this, but it is possible to beat the first level with a silent assassin ranking killing only the victim, with no disguises used. Although I don't believe the developers intended it. It just requires a very good understanding of how the AI works and the mechanics of the game. Using coins, using the sniper fire to startle the lookouts so they won't see you, that when the AI finds a weapon they will walk it to some sort of weapon holding area, things like that. I'm sure if you searched you could find a youtube video of it.

But getting offtopic here. Just saying the script calling for 47 to kill some guards isn't anything new.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Neuromancer said:
All right you guys convinced me, just bought Blood Money on Games on Demand after trying the demo. Looking forward to playing it.

The demo isn't that great because it's just the first tutorial map. It's very linear and doesn't represent the rest of the game.

D4Danger said:
The demo isn't great because it's just the first tutorial map. It's very linear and doesn't represent the rest of the game.
That's what I hear, it was still probably a good idea to teach the mechanics though.

I realize my above post sounded like future tense, I really meant it in the past tense. Like I already played the demo and bought the game, downloading now!

BPK

I personally loved Kane and Lynch 2 (see my LTTP thread), but I'm up for some Hitman.

Personally I'd kill to see Freedom Fighters 2 someday.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Neuromancer said:
That's what I hear, it was still probably a good idea to teach the mechanics though.

yeah, most of the stuff you can do is in that one level but it's very hand-holdy.

Every other map just drops you in a location and you have to work it out. It's much better.

X26

Banned
Mardi Gras mission in blood money still blows me away, hope they can atleast match BM but it really is unlikely

Top Bottom