• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 1, 2017 (Jan 02 - Jan 08)

I wonder if there's a shortage for Sukiyaki? Drop is pretty hard compared to what I feel it should be. Also in Famitsu, Sushi/Tempura actually sold more.

The 3DS hardware/software discrepancies between Media Create and Famitsu is dizzying.

Why *is* the pro hard to find? Is sony struggling to make enough of them and giving Japan the short end of the stick because console sales are low there?

Meanwhile a neutered Super Mario Maker duels with Final Fantasy XV. FF has fallen hard man. I think SE should try and get the gooch back for the next one.

I always said that Mario Maker 3DS was tailor made for the enjoyment of a population dense Japanese audience but I never expected it to blow up this much. A quick million worldwide sure but Japan ALONE?

Also lol at Momotaro on Wii getting back on charts.

gtj1092

Something seems off about these sales. Why the big jump over last year?

Also the PRO is not a replacement for the Ps4.

Love all the comments that try to downplay the healthy legs of FFXV. I mean these legs won't change the drop in launch and LTD but they are certainly beating expectations for people. Why do some people need the feel to point out the sales have fallen short much when we are actually talking about weekly sales.

sphinx

the piano man
I feel like people often puts 100% of the blame for FF's decline on Square-Enix.

I think Sony and its failure to grow its PS4 userbase in Japan in a timely manner killed any chances of FFXV doing FFXIII numbers. That a bigger role here more than people actually disliking what the game had to offer, from teaser/trailers to demos and the final game.

FFXV was released on a failed console, period.

sure, PS4 had a rather encouraging 2016 but it's still a failure, with all its letter.

or am I missing some other fact?

crinale

Why *is* the pro hard to find? Is sony struggling to make enough of them and giving Japan the short end of the stick because console sales are low there?

Meanwhile a neutered Super Mario Maker duels with Final Fantasy XV.
I think Japan isn't only country where you just can't find PS4 Pro available.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Maybe I'm not sure where you're coming from on this...why is it hilarious?

Just cause at one point, vita and 3DS were all i was hearing about in Japan, and now PS4 is suddenly on the verge of overtaking it momentum sustained

Love all the comments that try to downplay the healthy legs of FFXV. I mean these legs won't change the drop in launch and LTD but they are certainly beating expectations for people. Why do some people need the feel to point out the sales have fallen short much when we are actually talking about weekly sales.

you think FF sales are healthy?

I think Japan isn't only country where you just can't find PS4 Pro available.

Oh, this is a global thing? I hadn't really heard about it outside of the MC threads.

bigol

So are now people saying to look for next week for steep drop to FFXV? It is still holding really well :p

They will move goalposts until it will eventually fall out of chart,then they will declare it's a failure because it should have charted a whole year :p

LordKano

They will move goalposts until it will eventually fall out of chart,then they will declare it's a failure because it should have charted a whole year :p

I think it's fair to call the game a failure since the launch. The most healthy legs possible won't change that.

L~A

But why?

Are those models not selling anymore or what?

The OG 3DS XL was discontinued a while ago (over a year, iirc). No point in tracking it anymore, especially since it would have remained in sub-100 units all the time.

OG 3DS still hasn't been discontinued officially, but sales are becoming less and less significant, so no point in tracking it anymore either. And it's only a matter of days until Nintendo officially announce discontinuation anyway.

Oregano

Hm, yes. Can it spot above 3DS as a result of Switch though?

Sure, it was already close in 2016.

I feel like people often puts 100% of the blame for FF's decline on Square-Enix.

I think Sony and its failure to grow its PS4 userbase in Japan in a timely manner killed any chances of FFXV doing FFXIII numbers. That a bigger role here more than people actually disliking what the game had to offer, from teaser/trailers to demos and the final game.

sure, PS4 had a rather encouraging 2016 but it's still a failure, with all its letter.

PS4 is not a failure but it's a clear also-ran platform.

The userbase also doesn't account for the degree of decline. PS3's userbase wasn't much bigger.

Zedark

You are missing the fact that the PS4 has sold more than the PS3 had at the time the respective FFs released. So, the size of the userbase does not seem to be the main reason, even accounting for the theoretical possibility that PS4 gamers are buying less games (which, I think, isn't true either).

Memento

But PS4 has a bigger userbase than PS3 at the same time frame...

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

When FF15 launched, PS4's sales were better than PS3's launch aligned.

The FF brand has just gone down in recent years for a variety of reasons. You can say the same technically for the Yazuka, Tales and other bases as well.

Only Pokemon seems to be growing.

I personally think it's the damage done to the FF brand by XIII. I bet DQ sales on PS4 will be a lot better then the FF sales, even allowing for the extra PS4's bought between now and then.

LordKano

I personally think it's the damage done to the FF brand by XIII. I bet DQ sales on PS4 will be a lot better then the FF sales, even allowing for the extra PS4's bought between now and then.

You think DQXI will sell more than one million copie on PS4 alone, when it will release on 3DS and Switch too ?

ethomaz

Banned
I have a question about the PS4's performance compared to last year. The Famitsu numbers (which tracked 2 weeks for the new year already at this time) say the following:

We see that last year there was a quite significant drop in PS4 sales from the first week of the tracking year to the second (total after two weeks in 108,882 while this week last year is 38,286 and therefore the first week last year was 70,396). Is there a reason that this drop occurred last year but did not occur this year, or is that just a coincidence?

Something seems off about these sales. Why the big jump over last year?
Because they tracks different days.

Famitsu Sales: Week 2, 2016 (Jan 04 - Jan 10)
Famitsu Sales: Week 2, 2017 (Jan 02 - Jan 08)

This year the Week 2 tracks more holidays sales than last year.

You're assuming it's not actually doing as well as it can in the current market.

I'm quite sure Sony would have loved to have had a bunch of Japan-focused exclusives ready to go early on, but Japanese publishers just weren't ready to make that transition. Most developers are probably already fighting losing battles against execs and investors to make anything that's not a mobile game at all.

Just cause at one point, vita and 3DS were all i was hearing about in Japan, and now PS4 is suddenly on the verge of overtaking it momentum sustained

Vita really fell off last year as Sony threw their marketing muscle elsewhere, the display area for Vita in most stores is comparatively small. Vita may have been dead already if it weren't for the Minecraft infusion.

hiska-kun

I have a question about the PS4's performance compared to last year. The Famitsu numbers (which tracked 2 weeks for the new year already at this time) say the following:

We see that last year there was a quite significant drop in PS4 sales from the first week of the tracking year to the second (total after two weeks in 108,882 while this week last year is 38,286 and therefore the first week last year was 70,396). Is there a reason that this drop occurred last year but did not occur this year, or is that just a coincidence?

Famitsu isn't aligning weeks properly, because they're tracking an extra week this year (from the beginning, not at the end). The drop you see of last year, will happen next week this year for them.
Everybody should be ready.

ethomaz

Banned
PS4 is in a better shape at FFXV launch than PS3 at FFXIII launch... in both hardware and software sales.

So how PS4 selling better hardware and software than PS3 affected FFXV launch? Care to explain.

So PS3 was what??? Because it did worst than PS4.

L~A

I wonder if there's a shortage for Sukiyaki? Drop is pretty hard compared to what I feel it should be. Also in Famitsu, Sushi/Tempura actually sold more.

The 3DS hardware/software discrepancies between Media Create and Famitsu is dizzying.

I remember some users mentioning shortages, yeah.

So what's Pokémon LTD now and will it pass 4 million?

Dual-pack sales = 314 984 as of Week 48 (dropped from Top 20 after that, most likely did not sell much more after that).

So that's at least 3 354 569 units sold since launch. Whether or not it reaches 4m will depends on legs in the upcoming weeks, and when the "rumoured" Switch version is announced.

Zedark

Because they tracks different days.

Famitsu Sales: Week 2, 2016 (Jan 04 - Jan 10)
Famitsu Sales: Week 2, 2017 (Jan 02 - Jan 08)

This year the Week 2 tracks more holidays sales than last year.

Aha, so next week's sales should drop down to around the same level as last year then. We should see if PS4 will get better performance as compared to last year from that week, right?

When FF15 launched, PS4's sales were better than PS3's launch aligned.

The FF brand has just gone down in recent years for a variety of reasons. You can say the same technically for the Yazuka, Tales and other bases as well.

Only Pokemon seems to be growing.

While Pokemon still sells insane amounts in Japan it's not growing. X&Y were the worst selling mainline Pokemon games ever in Japan and while jury is still out for Sun&Moon if there is any growth (I still think Sun&Moon will fall short of even X&Y) it will not be by much.

hiska-kun

Yo-kai Watch 3 Sushi Tempura was a succes! It had Amazing legs! It didn't bomb!

sense

Lol @ blaming Sony and PS4 when the market has moved on to mobile and doesn't care about consoles as it used to. One of the reasons the game didn't do well is because of the bad taste the previous trilogy left.

Top Bottom