• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1991 TV news story: 'Parents Upset Over a New Nintendo Console"

hachi

Banned
kent1p2o8g.gif

This guy.

kent2r4rvs.gif

redcrayon

Funny after seeing the reviews of Layton 3DS on Amazon UK-

'buh buh I played the last 4 on DS, how dare they release the next one on 3DS!'

Red UFO

Whenever I see footage of Super Mario World I immediately want to start a new save and play all the way through.

mokeyjoe

Ah, 90s gaming.

My parents refused to buy me a Gameboy because my Dad said I'd be bored with it in two weeks. I think he thought it was glorified game and watch or something. It took me months to save up the money to buy one and when I did my Dad kept robbing it off me to play Tetris. :p

I still remind him of that from time to time.

stuminus3

Jesus H Christ @ that 1990 console wars video. I'm always telling you young 'uns to chill out because there's nothing happening today that hasn't happened decades ago. And there it is, right on the nose. I laughed out loud when the lady at the end said "reports are saying they're on their last legs".

antitrop

Inflation?
Exactly. People also forget that if you take mid to early 90's inflation into account and look at what the price of Super NES games would be in 2012 currency, it's close to $100 and even $120 for some games like Final Fantasy VI.
And people bitch about $60 games. Plastic cartridges and ROM chips are expensive!

Final Fantasy VI was released in 1994 at $80 USD retail. In 2012 USD that is just pennies away from $120. The buying power of that $80 in 1994 is closer to $55 in 2012.

Likewise the SNES itself was released in 1991 at $199 USD, which in 2012 USD is about $325. So still relatively normal for a console price to today, just a bit less. It was the games that were killer expensive in the 90's.

Sentenza

A good reminder for everyone who wants single console future.
Except the "single console" concept should work in an entirely different way, in principle.
No one right in his mind was asking for a single manufacturer monopolizing the industry.

EDIT: AAAAAnd I'm answering to one year old post now. Great.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Even though some games are better(there's a lot of retro games that are still damn good), it just doesn't feel the same now that we're older(I'm 22). I guess playing a new game just felt more "magical" when I was a kid.

I'm 36 and still regularly feel like that when I play the best of the best. The only real difference now is that I can afford more games, so I don't have to play the same one over and over and over for months on end.

2:48

Talks about how Nintendo believes that graphics aren't everything, you need good games.

Interesting how Nintendo hasn't changed their philosophy for over 20 years.

Going to have to book mark this and pull it out every time someone says "Nintendo used to care about power!"

terrisus

It launched at $649.99 in the US in 1991, which in 2012 USD is a little over $1,000.

And, to be fair, I knew all of one person in 1991 who had a Neo Geo - another kid at the private school I went to that year, which cost a bunch of money to attend and so most of whose parents had plenty of money. The rest of us got SNESs.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
The deluxe NES set was $249.99 at launch in 1985, adjusted for inflation thats $537.43.

RagnarokX

Going to have to book mark this and pull it out every time someone says "Nintendo used to care about power!"

But they don't even say that. He says games are the most important thing, which has always been true. They still competed in the power race until Wii.

Kalinske looks like a deer in headlights

Maybe, but he was still one of the best business men Sega of America has ever had. Too bad his constant battles with the Sega of Japan lead him to be ousted from the company though. Sega of America pretty well crumbled right around the time of his departure. With all the stupid hardware decisions Sega of Japan were making at that point, things were already going in that direction anyway. But still.

2:48

Talks about how Nintendo believes that graphics aren't everything, you need good games.

Interesting how Nintendo hasn't changed their philosophy for over 20 years.

You know he was only saying that because the SNES wasn't out in the Westren market at that point, and the Genesis was the technically superior machine compared to their NES. He was just pushing the "but you don't need good graphics to have fun" PR just to push more NES sales. But they were boasting big time about the superior SNES hardware when it did hit western shores. They also did the same thing for the N64 before it was released, marketing it having superior hardware over the competition. But I think the N64 also humbled them as well, leading the company to their current state of releasing modest hardware.

antitrop

The deluxe NES set was $249.99 at launch in 1985, adjusted for inflation thats $537.43.
Ya, that's pretty crazy actually. It did come with Mario and Duck Hunt, though. That's a pretty hefty value.

I had the one with Mario, Duck Hunt, and World Class Track Meet. Everyone else I knew only had the Mario/DH duo cartridge. All I did in WCTM was slap my hands against the Power Pad anyway, I was like 4.

I remember reading zillions magazine back in the 90s (a consumer advocate mag for tweens that basically told you never to buy anything popular), and they had a comic spoofing the console upgrade cycle around the time the Saturn released.

I think the ipad cycle would have broken their fragile minds.

Ya, that's pretty crazy actually. It did come with Mario and Duck Hunt, though. That's a pretty hefty value.

I had the one with Mario, Duck Hunt, and World Class Track Meet. Everyone else I knew only had the Mario/DH duo cartridge. All I did in WCTM was slap my hands against the Power Pad anyway, I was like 4.

I thought the deluxe set was the one that came with ROB and gyromite. NO ONE had that one- nintendo just used it as a way to sneak the nes into retailers skittish about carrying a game system

Keep in mind that the Deluxe Set was this model:

2173297756_a450fc773d_z.jpg

Which came with ROB the Robot. "The Action Set", or whatever it was called with just the Zapper and two controllers was like $50.00 cheaper or something. I think?

antitrop

I thought the deluxe set was the one that came with ROB and gyromite. NO ONE had that one- nintendo just used it as a way to sneak the nes into retailers skittish about carrying a game system
I was born in 1985, so I have no idea where my parents got the three-game cartridge from. I always just thought it was odd when I went over to my friend's houses and they had the two-game cart.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Keep in mind that the Deluxe Set was this model:

2173297756_a450fc773d_z.jpg

Which came with ROB the Robot. "The Action Set", or whatever it was called with just the Zapper and two controllers was like $50.00 cheaper or something. I think?
Yeah the Action Set I believe was $199.99, thats the one that most people had with Mario/Duck Hut/Zapper. Still that was a pretty penny back then.

I was born in 1985, so I have no idea where my parents got the three-game cartridge from. I always just thought it was odd when I went over to my friend's house and they had the two-game cart.

It was a later package that came out to promote the power pad. The NES was probably getting long in the tooth by then, and might have been thought up to compete with the Genesis. Don't quote me on that one though

antitrop

There was one with the Power Pad and that game too.
Yes, that is the one my parents bought. I did a Google search on it and found that it was released in 1990.
So if you bought an NES in the 80's you probably got the Mario/Duck Hunt two-game cart.

Today a part of my childhood has been explained. :)

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Lmao, they just show the fucking ending of Mario World :lol

edit, holy shit at F zero :lol :lol

Top Bottom