• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

Aske

Seriously, even if it's true, which it's probably not due to the amount of credit you'd have to give Bioware (the the amount of forgiveness you'd have to give them for not including a pretty important story element), it's still shoddy writing because nothing we did matters. At all.

On the contrary - it returns meaning to the 60 hours of gameplay that the ending that we currently have renders moot.

Only the very final section of the game is a dream, when Shepard is drawn up into the Citadel. And the theory is only valid if fulfilled with a true ending. Saying "it was just a dream!" is not a better way to view the crap we were given; it's a hope for a proper ending that follows on from what we have. It's more of a prediction than simply an alternative interpretation as it stands.

Some people think the current ending is exactly as it appears, and any extra content will build on the destroyed relays and synthesis/control idea; others believe choosing to destroy the reapers represents more than the current ending presents at face value, and will be a springboard to an ending in which we don't have to fuck up the galaxy to stop the invaders.

What are they supposed to do with the franchise with the ending they made? Landfill all extra copies somewhere in the Nevada dessert with a sign that says: "NEVER AGAIN"?

I wonder if EA wanted to get rid of the franchise, because it doesn't fit their 'needs' with Bioware. (which, looking at the marketing budget, I doubt very much. So then the question becomes: why did they let it happen? Why spend so much money on a future dodo? )

There's no way EA would let a multi-million selling franchise with an established fanbase end. Shitty ending or not, fans will still buy another ME game in droves. Possibly Bioware made an ending that was very hard to work around so they could put off making a sequel until EA demands or they ran out of time due to main writers leaving and EA forcing deadlines judging by all the cut content. Were definitely going to see more Mass Effect games with a heavier focus on multiplayer and maybe even a direct sequel following the other squadmates.

DTKT

There's no way EA would let a multi-million selling franchise with an established fanbase end. Shitty ending or not, fans will still buy another ME game in droves. Possibly Bioware made an ending that was very hard to work around so they could put off making a sequel until EA demands or they ran out of time due to main writers leaving and EA forcing deadlines judging by all the cut content. Were definitely going to see more Mass Effect games with a heavier focus on multiplayer and maybe even a direct sequel following the other squadmates.

The ending doesn't matter when you are doing prequels and spin-off games. Casey Hudson said as much in the "Final Hours" app.

It matters in a "everyone in this prequel dies in 2 years, so why bother?" way, I guess.

It's still possible. I haven't beaten Bioshock, but from what I gather, we all know Rapture ends up as a pretty fucked up place and they managed to pull off a prequel. The same can be done with Mass Effect and fly eating Salarians and stock photo, three fingered, human looking Quarians.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
"final bosses" and 'epic last battles' are so damn cliche anyway, I'm glad there wasn't one like that here... I'm totally cool with a narrative driven final encounter like we got with .

Besides, that long ass gauntlet of enemies prior to rushing the Beam was so damn annoying, I didn't even WANT to fight anymore

It's still possible. I haven't beaten Bioshock, but from what I gather, we all know Rapture ends up as a pretty fucked up place and they managed to pull off a prequel.
Bioshock 2 was a sequel, set 10 years later. Bioshock Infinite is in a completely different setting, with no shared characters, and likely not even in the same universe. It's about as much a prequel to Bioshock as Bioshock was to System Shock.

Gazzawa

"final bosses" and 'epic last battles' are so damn cliche anyway, I'm glad there wasn't one like that here... I'm totally cool with a narrative driven final encounter like we got with .

Besides, that long ass gauntlet of enemies prior to rushing the Beam was so damn annoying, I didn't even WANT to fight anymore

Fighting off a whole bunch of ravagers and banshees felt climactic enough for me.

Gui_PT

They implement the indoctrination theory and give us an epic ending then everything is forgiven.

iSZY3IXBCFpj1.gif

W..why?

Bloody controversy surrounding the ending, its got my mind going now !

The indoctrination theory would, for me, actually make it a pretty good ending, it would make certain things in the game seem .... smarter. For example the whole, earth boy death thing, when i played the demo i just saw it as a tacky way of slapping some emotion in the players face, but if this was the indoctrination thing, it would have tied very nicely into the whole series.

Then youve also got the Shepherd survives cut scene, where his body looks like its on the ground in the rubble where the teleport beam thing was to the citadel. Doesnt the citadel explode if you go the destroy ending (which is how you get the Shepherd survives thing) ? He would be floating in space not in the middle of some rubble :p Of course, this could just be BioWare throwing it in there as a nice thing and hoping nobody really asked questions.

Probably looking too much into it and ..... hoping, bah.

Complistic

the indoctrination theory doesn't make the ending good. if it's true shepard was just taking a nap and the reapers are still there. That ending sucks just as much in a different way.

Gui_PT

the indoctrination theory doesn't make the ending good. if it's true shepard was just taking a nap and the reapers are still there. That ending sucks just as much in a different way.

Yeah the indoctrination theory would mean the game has no ending

shepard fell asleep. what happened to the war and everyone else? welp who cares? the indoctrination theory ending would be enough, right?!

Hope bioware doesn't listen to fans like this

Complistic

what I would be for is remaking the ending so that what we've played is actually shepard being indoctrinated, then you can wake up and then actually finish the game. Would be a great mind fuck.

Argh.

Only the First Contact War features humans, so if anything it's going to be a game about that.
The first contact war wasn't much of a war, most of the galaxy did not give a shit and the turians consider it a minor conflict at best. Its humans who get all up and arms about it because they're whiny babies.

But I'm sure bioware will retcon it into some massive galactic war.

Rapstah

The first contact war wasn't much of a war, most of the galaxy did not give a shit and the turians consider it a minor conflict at best. Its humans who get all up and arms about it because they're whiny babies.

They'll do that and somehow have the fat Reaper that TIM keeps viewing pictures of be involved.

what I would be for is remaking the ending so that what we've played is actually shepard being indoctrinated, then you can wake up and then actually finish the game. Would be a great mind ****.

This is what I'm hoping for and why I endorse the IT. The alternative is a crappy nonsensical ending that really happened forever.

kingkaiser

Just the DLC-Ending i'm hoping for:

During the meeting with space-boy…
Garrus crashes with a Mako into the Citadel

Garrus: Shepard you gotta come back with me
Shepard: Where?
Garrus: Back to the future!
Shepard: Wait a minute, what are doing Garrus
Garrus: (while cramming space-boy into the flux capacitor) I need fuel Shepard…and now get in the car
Shepard: Hey wait, I just got here, the reapers are still around and I got to stop them…
Garrus: Yeah, with the power of the rainbow…just get in the car
Shepard: What are you talking? What happens to me in the future? Will I become an asshole or something?
Garrus: (silent for a moment) oh no no no, you will turn out fine, just dead…but no it’s about Blasto…something’s gotta been done with Blasto…

Both are in the Mako ready to start…

Shepard: Hey, shouldn’t we fly to a mass relay?
Garrus: Mass relay? Where we are going, we don’t have …mass relays.

While lifting off with the Mako…James Vega suddenly appears…

Vega: Hey Sheppard, I just wanted to show you this cool new tattoo and…a flying Mako? What the hell is going on here?

End Credits

Well, the Turians did open fire on them. Not a great first impression when meeting a new intelligent species. It was only a month(?) long conflict so I doubt Bioware could stretch it out that much.

Considering Bioware hadn't fucked up the Illusive Man so much in Mass Effect 3, they could've done an interesting First Contact War story on his background, how he built Cerberus, and delved a bit into Miranda in some sort of spinoff or expansion. Now, I really don't care much for his character.

Complistic

Garrus: (while cramming space-boy into the flux capacitor) I need fuel Shepard…and now get in the car
Shepard: Hey wait, I just got here, the reapers are still around and I got to stop them…
Shepard: What are you talking? What happens to me in the future? Will I become an asshole or something?
Garrus: (silent for a moment) oh no no no, you will turn out fine, just dead…but no it’s about Blasto…something’s gotta been done with Blasto…

Vega: Hey Sheppard, I just wanted to show you this cool new tattoo and…a flying Mako? What the hell is going on here?

End Credits

print it

Gui_PT

End Credits

Would pay for this

NHale

This is what I'm hoping for and why I endorse the IT. The alternative is a crappy nonsensical ending that really happened forever.

But if they go that route it means they deliberately released the game with an incomplete ending because they don't explain what really happened while Shepard was sleeping on a pile of trash.

Quite frankly to me that's even more insulting than the ending we got, because that would mean that they released an incomplete game and those that don't have their console connected to the internet or are aware of a DLC will never know the true ending for the game and will forever believe that Starchild actually exists.

But if they go that route it means they deliberately released the game with an incomplete ending because they don't explain what really happened while Shepard was sleeping on a pile of trash.

Quite frankly to me that's even more insulting than the ending we got, because that would mean that they released an incomplete game and those that don't have their console connected to the internet or are aware of a DLC will never know the true ending for the game and will forever believe that Starchild actually exists.

I'm okay with that alternative so long as I get to play the true ending. /selfish

televator

I'm okay with that alternative so long as I get to play the true ending. /selfish

I'm actually with you on this. I don't think BW will do it, but I think it's the only thing that could actually remove the suck from the ending we do have. It would be ideal, but IT is not worth getting your hopes up for.

Gazzawa

End Credits

Ship it.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
There's no way EA marketing would let Bioware create a humanless ME. "How can the player connect with the main character if he/she isn't human?!!?"
I'm pretty sure EA wouldn't care. It's BW that has a problem removing the spotlight that they themselves put on humans.

rozay

Banned
I'm pretty sure EA wouldn't care. It's BW that has a problem removing the spotlight that they themselves put on humans.
They removed a good portion of the spotlight, though-"humans are special" isn't a huge part of the plot like it was in ME2. Marketing and focus testing will ensure that humans are in the game for the average joe to be able to relate to the game.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
They removed a good portion of the spotlight, though-"humans are special" isn't a huge part of the plot like it was in ME2. Marketing and focus testing will ensure that humans are in the game for the average joe to be able to relate to the game.

In how many blockbuster games do you even play as a non-human character anymore?
I seriously doubt that will happen here, too much at risk. We barely even have any african american characters, asian, or whatnot. Too many xenophobes out there (alienphobes?)

rozay

Banned
In how many blockbuster games do you even play as a non-human character anymore?
I seriously doubt that will happen here, too much at risk. We barely even have any african american characters, asian, or whatnot. Too many xenophobes out there (alienphobes?)
that's what I meant to say in the last sentence of my post. it's the same reason we have fucking jessica chobot as a fully rendered in game model and a stock photo for tali's face.

Gui_PT

that's what I meant to say in the last sentence of my post. it's the same reason we have fucking jessica chobot as a fully rendered in game model and a stock photo for tali's face.

I would play a game with Jessica Chobot as the main character

Or would I?

Top Bottom