• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PREY Previews thread - A Shock to the System

dr_rus

why is this running cryengine and not idtech anyway?

My guess would be because the game's engine was chosen before Bethesda bought id and got id tech under it's wings. Things point to id tech slowly becoming Bethesda's main engine in the future, with the exception of TES games probably.

Oh rip not happy that it

goes in line with the leaked story

Funny thing is, the so-called ''insider'' claimed that
Russian criminals are tossed as food to the aliens, yet the criminal we meet is a southern American and isn't exactly Typhon food.

Not that I put a lot of stock into his story in the first place.

This wasn't on the radar for me until recently. I just didn't know much about it. However, after seeing a few videos I'm all in.

Mifec

Funny thing is, the so-called ''insider'' claimed that
Russian criminals are tossed as food to the aliens, yet the criminal we meet is a southern American and isn't exactly Typhon food.

Not that I put a lot of stock into his story in the first place.

Was gonna ask if it's Walton Goggins, yup they just confirmed it.

Will.... will this really be the true successor to System Shock!?

...I... I don't know if I can handle that potential reality

System Shock 2 is right up there with Deus Ex as my all time favorite game

Karamsoul

Didn't want to make a new thread but just letting people know that Best Buy pre-orders are being upgraded to receive a free steelbook case. Looks pretty decent too!

NS7a4iA.jpg

Didn't want to make a new thread but just letting people know that Best Buy pre-orders are being upgraded to receive a free steelbook case. Looks pretty decent too!

NS7a4iA.jpg
The steelbook art is from Game Informer's cover during their PREY coverage

There's a female Morgan version too

ryseing

Didn't get to ask this during the rush of preview coverage, so I figure now is a good as time as any. Any word on how scary the game is? If it's something like a Bioshock I don't think I'll be able to handle it unfortunately.

I plan on checking out the demo but I don't think that will be a good representation on that front.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Hmmm... let's see:

- Mimics
- Phantoms (Especially ones with elite forms that can use pyromancy, electricity, and duplicate itself)
- Weavers
- Cystoids
- Poltergeists
- Telepaths
- Technopaths
- Operator bots corrupted by the Technopaths
- Turrets that will turn hostile against you if you use alien powers
- Nightmare. A huge creature that will hunt you down as you invest more to alien powers

Plenty of enemies if you ask me.

Aren't the majority of these just variations of "black slime monster"?

Zaventem

This seems like a game where it has the potential to be really good but i need to see reviews to cement my purchase. The previews have been fine so far but the combat shown isn't doing much for me.

Uh... No.

Given they way they are designed in combat, I doubt they are just variations.

Fun fact: Arkane wanted to make the Typhon the way they are becayae they didn't want to go with orcs with laser guns or slimy, squishy, gory no monsters. So any claim they made them that way because they're lazy or didn't want to create high quality models of monsters are full of shit.
So they are selling an unfinished game? I can understand lack of NG+, but these gameplay systems look pretty important for me even for the first play-through.
Their removal ain't permanent, though. They still plan to add them back (post-launch patch, most probably)

_Clash_

Optimistic

But marketing mimic too hard +1.

Need to see how this all comes together but I think it will end up a sleeper hit

Dishonored games are legit

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Yeah, while there are several variations of Typhon, they all share the same fundamental visual style. I'm also a little concerned that this will result in a feeling of monotony despite the combat encounters they can engender being different on a practical level.

Uh... No.

Given they way they are designed in combat, I doubt they are just variations
Intent and mechanical design doesn't change that the visual variety among enemy types is very same-y

Even if you consider similar enemies like the Necromorphs, they were all quite visually distinct from each other despite all sharing the overall aesthetics of being body horror fleshy monsters

Intent and mechanical design doesn't change that the visual variety among enemy types is very same-y

Even if you consider similar enemies like the Necromorphs, they were all quite visually distinct from each other despite all sharing the overall aesthetics of being body horror fleshy monsters

The only thing they share in aesthetic is the shadowy aspect, yes. Other than that. I don't see them very same-y as you say.

Maybe it's because I watched a lot of gameplay videos and the Bethesda streams (they have some spoilers, so keep that in mind), but the Typhon don't look the same to me except in terms of shadowy aspect.

Mr. Tibbs

So they are selling an unfinished game? I can understand lack of NG+, but these gameplay systems look pretty important for me even for the first play-through.

Hardcore difficulty mode

Along with an oxygen limit while exploring space, they were features that were present in the initial previews but have since been cut from the base game at launch because the team decided they were "too hardcore for most gamers."

Do we have a date for reviews?

I preordered the PC version, so god have mercy on my soul.

Since it's Bethesda, surely it will be after launch.

The Typhon look cool to me, tbh. Never really understood the complaints about them, and they seem varied enough in terms of mechanics/behavior that they will provide plenty of interesting encounters. I mean, most of the Splicers in Bioshock look pretty similar, but they were fun to fight.

The Typhon look cool to me, tbh. Never really understood the complaints about them, and they seem varied enough in terms of mechanics/behavior that they will provide plenty of interesting encounters. I mean, most of the Splicers in Bioshock look pretty similar, but they were fun to fight.
There's a pretty big and noticeable difference between this
QDLEad1l.jpg

and this, in terms of visual distinction between enemy types

There's a pretty big and noticeable difference between this
QDLEad1l.jpg

and this, in terms of visual distinction between enemy types
You're using an infograph (That doesn't even show all the Typhon enemies) and pictures of Splicers and a Big Daddy.

Not a fair comparison, if you ask me.

You're using an infograph (That doesn't even show all the Typhon enemies) and pictures of Splicers and a Big Daddy.

Not a fair comparison, if you ask me.
Not much difference though
Although I do like the main Typhon enemy design, the overarching visual design of the Typhon don't do the game any favors

I'm hoping that seeing and encountering them in motion make them feel more distinct

Top Bottom