• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stardew Valley |OT| Resting Under a Harvest Moon [Up: now on PS4]

Sarcasm

Five working days is nothing. $12 for shipping is easier to swallow for 5 days.

Is the guide as good as it looks? I know it was produced independently so I'm wondering if it feels "premium" for the price you paid.

And I'm in Taipei.

Thing is awesome best give book I have ever seen in my life. Maybe w can meet up if you want. I am near taoyuan HSR.

I said five days as it was amazing I was expecting longer.

Thing is awesome best give book I have ever seen in my life. Maybe w can meet up if you want. I am near taoyuan HSR.

I said five days as it was amazing I was expecting longer.

I've never done a GAF-related meet up before, and I haven't pulled the trigger on Stardew Valley yet because I have a huge backlog to get through with Horizon taking priority, but I'd love to meet a fellow gaffer.

I really want to find the time to get started on Stardew Valley. Maybe wait for the Switch version.

oni-link

I'm in summer in the 2nd year and for the life of me I can't get the 5 gold star melons for the quality crops bundle

Is there any way to get these in other seasons, or do I need to wait till next summer now?

I want the greenhouse but think I need this bundle before I can unlock it

I'm in summer in the 2nd year and for the life of me I can't get the 5 gold star melons for the quality crops bundle

Is there any way to get these in other seasons, or do I need to wait till next summer now?

I want the greenhouse but think I need this bundle before I can unlock it

You should be able to buy quality fertilizer from Pierre now, since you're on your second year. What I did was just buy excess seeds and fertilizer, just in case. You're pretty much guaranteed to get at least 5 gold melons if you use quality fertilizer with maybe 20-25 plots. It probably depends what your farming skill is too, but I'm not 100% on that.

oni-link

You should be able to buy quality fertilizer from Pierre now, since you're on your second year. What I did was just buy excess seeds and fertilizer, just in case. You're pretty much guaranteed to get at least 5 gold melons if you use quality fertilizer with maybe 20-25 plots. It probably depends what your farming skill is too, but I'm not 100% on that.

I planted like 40 but just in normal soil, then another 20 after those bloomed, but they take 12/13 days and i'm out of time with not a single gold star melon

Oh well, I'll try again next year

Retro

So I'm pretty much stuck at beginning, I have no idea how to start earning money besides the little deliveries you get lol

Buy seeds, keep em watered. You don't have a lot of money to begin with early so your watering shouldn't take too long. That should give you plenty of time / energy to do other stuff like...

Hit the forest south of your farm and gather the spring onions that grow on the cliffs near the ocean (the game tells you about foraging opportunities via the television, spec. the "Living off the Land" program). That will usually give you an influx of cash to buy more seeds, though I recommend saving up for the backpack first.

Running around town usually yields some flowers and wild veggies (Spring is dandelions, leeks, daffodils and wild horseradish, and the aforementioned onions). After the 15th of spring (up to the 18th), Salmonberries will start to grow on bushes all over the valley (in town, in the forest, everywhere). That's the game basically saying "okay, time to speed things up a little, here's some free money". Seriously, they're everywhere. During that narrow window you want to get as many as you can, they only sell for 5g but they're easy to find and you get so damn many of them it's silly.

The beach south of town also usually has some shells wash up that you can sell off. You'll want to head down that way anyhow to get your fishing rod after a few days (there's an event that triggers, forget what day it is but it should be the first week or so). Fishing can be a little annoying at first but you can also make some good money early if you stick with it.

Worst case scenario; get everything watered, then start clearing wood and stone and sell it for some cash.

That first spring is kinda rough and purposely slow, but once you get the basics down and a little coin in your pocket from just foraging / growing simple crops and summer rolls in, you'll be ready to expand into something that feels like a proper farm.

Fynriel

Banned
Yep, it's great. The little cursor to move around with the stick was weird at first, but the game has so much flexibility with controls you barely use it. Only for moving inventory stuff around but it's so quick it's not a problem.

Actually CA said in a dev blog a while back that this is being worked on:

http://stardewvalley.net/stardew-valley-progress-update-second-console-patch-localization-and-more/
For example, I am currently working on making the controller easier to use (getting rid of the cursor in menus when using gamepad). That should be added to the console and PC versions in a future patch.

I'm anxiously waiting for that for my second playthrough.

Yep, it's great. The little cursor to move around with the stick was weird at first, but the game has so much flexibility with controls you barely use it. Only for moving inventory stuff around but it's so quick it's not a problem.

Thank you. Is there still that bug with the PS4 Pro?

Supernorn

Chucklefish (Starbound)
Thank you. Is there still that bug with the PS4 Pro?

The Pro issue was a bug related to the console's OS, which we believe Sony have now fixed on their end in a recent update. It should no longer be an issue!

As Fynriel pointed out, Eric has been working on new 'snappy' controls. If you opt into the PC beta on Steam, you can already play around with them. Feedback so far has been very positive! There is also an option to toggle between them if people prefer to use the existing controls. The snappy controls will soon make their way to consoles in a future update, but I don't have a timeframe just yet.

Jacobson

Worth a shot: will the Switch version allow for touchscreen inventory management?

There's no info on the Switch version other than it's coming, I think. I'd like a touchscreen functionality as well, but it's better to keep your expectations low so you won't get disappointed lol

NotSelf

Can anyone else confirm if there still having issues on Pro? or is it safe to put the console on rest mode after a session.

Smo21

Can anyone else confirm if there still having issues on Pro? or is it safe to put the console on rest mode after a session.

A couple posters on the same page have said so it is fixed. I will have to try it sometime this weekend and see for myself

edit didnt see the person that said its still there, dangit

I'm on pro and haven't had any issues with it. Ever. But I wouldn't take my experience as a barometer. I have had crashing issues in other locations though.

Hobbun

I picked up the PS4 retail version for this yesterday and was wondering if all the issues have been resolved for this now? I know there have been a couple of patches the developer has put out, and really glad they have kept on making sure it runs well. But are there any issues that are still cropping up with it? And if so, is there another/more patch(es) on the way?

I also have a PS4 Pro, btw. I was reading earlier in the thread (couple weeks back) that some were having issues with the Pro and it crashing, has this been ironed out?

Edit: It appears the Pro issue only deals with going into rest mode. I never do that, I always power down.

Supernorn

Chucklefish (Starbound)
Hey guys, the latest update for Stardew Valley is now live on PC! It'll debut on console soon after.

At long last, Stardew Valley is available to play in seven different languages; English, German, Spanish, Russian, Japanese, Simplified Chinese and Brazilian-Portuguese!

While localization is the biggest new feature, 1.2 also includes some controller improvements and important bug fixes. Check the patch notes below!

Big thanks to all involved in getting 1.2 ready for release — Playism, Tencent, Sickhead, the community members who provided translation feedback and reports, and to everyone else for waiting so patiently while we worked to improve the quality of translation and stability of the patch!

VXoyaQ6l.png

Patch Notes

• Translations for German, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, Russian, Japanese and Simplified Chinese.
  • When using a controller, the cursor will snap between menu buttons by default. If you disable that, the cursor will instead accelerate while moving.
  • When using a controller, pressing the back button will skip events that are skippable.
  • Exit to Title has returned.

Bug Fixes

• Fixed lighting shader not covering the whole screen on Mac and Linux.
  • Switching from ”Windowed Borderless" to ”Fullscreen" should now go straight to fullscreen instead of Windowed mode.
  • Wallpapers and floors no longer have a tile placement indicator showing a random object
  • Increased stability of preference-saving code. This should fix infrequent crashes that require the player to delete startup_preferences.
  • Fixed a crash that can happen when a pig tries to spawn a truffle but there's no space for it.
  • Fixed a couple of rare crashes that could have occurred at any time during the game.
  • Fixed a typo of the word ‘pronounce' in the marriage event.
  • Fixed the player not getting the recipe for Cookies if they skip Evelyn's event.
  • Farming level now affects crop yield prior to level 10

WL1CNK2l.png

My PS4 physical version has crappy controls. I cant tell if it is my stick or the game but it feels like I cant get the character to go where I want them too. It just seems like it is steering me towards the bottom of the screen. It makes trying to navigate a fucking chore.

Nice! I have still been playing this at least once a week on PS4. My desire to play has subsided some, but there are trophies I'm still aiming to get. Plat for this game for me is pretty much not gonna happen.

vix

Will the update make it so that I can finally see all of the hud and gameplay area on my tv on the ps4? It's so frustrating to have it cut off on the edges.

Alpende

Will the update make it so that I can finally see all of the hud and gameplay area on my tv on the ps4? It's so frustrating to have it cut off on the edges.

I had that issue. Try changing the aspect ratio of the TV itself. I had mine on 16:9 and changed it to wide or something like that. Or it was the other way around, not too sure but play around a bit.

This did not affect the HUD on any other game I tried after changing it.

vix

I had that issue. Try changing the aspect ratio of the TV itself. I had mine on 16:9 and changed it to wide or something like that. Or it was the other way around, not too sure but play around a bit.

This did not affect the HUD on any other game I tried after changing it.

You've probably tried this, and I've never played Stardew Valley, but is your screen size calibrated correctly in the PS4 settings?

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/gb/ps4/settings/areasettings.html

And/or does your TV have a 'Full Pixel' display mode?

I'll give a look into both of these suggestions. Though my tv is at least 8 years old now, maybe even closer to 10 or more. It may be just too old.

Edit: Many hours later and my tv has neither a full pixel display or an option for wide. And the ps4 manual link page, I have definitely tried that before and still no dice. It's an old beast of a tv I guess.

Freeman76

Holy shit this game is good. How the fuck do you guys catch fish on ps4 lol...it seems i cant catch a damn thing!

Not been this addicted to a game in a long while

Freeman76

This game has completely fucked my Pro :(

An £11.99 game ruined £350 console, everytime I turn my console off it crashes and has to rebuild my database. Standby mode no longer works at all.

Is there a workaround or has Stardew Valley cost me the funcionality of my console?

Alpende

How do you know it's Stardew Valley's fault?

Can't you just delete everything that has to do with Stardew Valley or is that impossible due to it crashing at startup.

Gator86

An £11.99 game ruined £350 console, everytime I turn my console off it crashes and has to rebuild my database. Standby mode no longer works at all.

Is there a workaround or has Stardew Valley cost me the funcionality of my console?

That's terrible to hear. I never reinstalled my copy after the first time my Pro's sleep mode didn't work and people started saying it was this game. The dev's explanations sound just as fishy, saying it was a firmware issue, even though this game is the only one I've ever seen that causes hardware issues on a PS4. Disgusting.

I hope you get it fixed.

Ken Adams

How do you know it's Stardew Valley's fault?

Can't you just delete everything that has to do with Stardew Valley or is that impossible due to it crashing at startup.

Come on bro, no other game causes this shit. Not doom not nothing just this piece of shit version. Do u have a ps4 pro and have played more than a couple of hours. You would know if you did. Go check the stardew forums for more proof if u want.

Alpende

Come on bro, no other game causes this shit. Not doom not nothing just this piece of shit version. Do u have a ps4 pro and have played more than a couple of hours. You would know if you did. Go check the stardew forums for more proof if u want.

I didn't know this was widespread.

Is removing the HDD an option and see if it boots up?

BigEmil

Oh wow that's terrible. I cannot think how a single game can do this much damage to a system wtf, never heard any other games do this ever

Moneal

I have a pro and have played this a ton no issues here, though i almost never keep games running when my system goes into rest mode.

RaginRoss

Just picked this up on Xbox One during the recent sale.

Just over a week or so into the game and really enjoying it so far. Trying to avoid looking up too much online about it but had one quick question.

There's a railroad shown on the map up at the top. When I go to that area there's a signpost pointing to it but I can't see any pathway leading there. Am I missing something obvious, or is it similar to the mines where it'll become available over time?

I'm at 27/28 people met and can't seem to find the last person, so I was guessing it's maybe someone that works at the railroad.

The railroad will be available eventually, but the last person doesn't work there. Try going to the Saloon on a Friday night and talking to everyone there, because a lot of villagers will be there and you may find someone you missed, or at least someone you thought got counted but didn't.

You can check the relationship menu tab and see who you haven't met, they'll be at the bottom of the list and there name will be a ??????, that should help you keep a look out for them.

RaginRoss

The railroad will be available eventually, but the last person doesn't work there. Try going to the Saloon on a Friday night and talking to everyone there, because a lot of villagers will be there and you may find someone you missed, or at least someone you thought got counted but didn't.

You can check the relationship menu tab and see who you haven't met, they'll be at the bottom of the list and there name will be a ??????, that should help you keep a look out for them.

Ah cool - thanks!

Forgot about the list in the menu, i'll check that out later.

c1d

I'm at 27/28 people met and can't seem to find the last person, so I was guessing it's maybe someone that works at the railroad.
Yeah, some (most) major events are unlocked with time - stardew is pretty good in terms of nothing is really missable though

Top Bottom