• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVII| I don't really care if /mu/ cry

shoelacer

Banned
"23" is the most egregious example of this. This was when she was "dating" Mike Will for a little bit, and its so culture-vulturey its awful.

I guess what Waffle is trying to say is that, in pop, stars adopt and discard personas every couple years. Lady Gaga went from electro-pop to pop rebel to real artist. Taylor went from country sweetheart to big pop star to leather & electronics. It's the norm for artists to flit in and out of genres, but with rap becoming the mainstream, said pop artists are adopting more """urban""" personas. See: Katy Perry's "woke" album cycle, complete with cameos from the Migos and Nicki. For pop fans, this is just another day, but for people coming from hip-hop, it seems like the most flagrant form of cultural appropriation because apparently choosing trap-flavored production and featuring rappers makes you more "woke" and "urban-sounding."

tbf 23 is credited as a mike.will song, so at least he's getting the bulk of the royalties.

I do think a lot of the time the 'culture vulture' label is thrown around a little too quickly - I saw Macklemore catch that few times, and he def does make corny trash, but he's obviously a student of the genre, and at least acknowledges white artists are disproportionately successful even in 'black' genres. But when someone like Miley deliberately shifts from very traditional pop to something much more 'urban', and then pivots as quickly from that to something new and then starts criticizing hip-hop, it's hard to read that as anything else than her exploiting a genre of music she has, at best, a passing familiarity with for her own gain. At least this means the end of her twerking in salmon-colored latex, though.

He already dropped a classic with stoney and his mixtape before it.

source.gif

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Wait, out of curiosity, but why does Post Malone seem like cultural appriotation and what Miley Cyrus did, didn't?
Torre_avenue does a much better job explaining it then I could lol, but essentially what he said.
I guess what Waffle is trying to say is that, in pop, stars adopt and discard personas every couple years. Lady Gaga went from electro-pop to pop rebel to real artist. Taylor went from country sweetheart to big pop star to leather & electronics. It's the norm for artists to flit in and out of genres, but with rap becoming the mainstream, said pop artists are adopting more """urban""" personas. See: Katy Perry's "woke" album cycle, complete with cameos from the Migos and Nicki. For pop fans, this is just another day, but for people coming from hip-hop, it seems like the most flagrant form of cultural appropriation because apparently choosing trap-flavored production and featuring rappers makes you more "woke" and "urban-sounding."
Very good statement on how I feel
I think it's ridiculous people even in the hip hop industry are shaming Cardi B for being a former stripper. It's 2017 who cares how you make your money as long as its legal. She wasn't selling drugs or anything
It's sexist and it's ridiculous.
Post Malone - No Reason (feat. Biebz and Kanye West)

It looks to be a mix of snippets stitched into a song.
I want this to be a real thing so bad.
this post malone album might end up being good
I am kinda anticipating it now.
He already dropped a classic with stoney and his mixtape before it.
I didn't really like it tbh
tbf 23 is credited as a mike.will song, so at least he's getting the bulk of the royalties.

I do think a lot of the time the 'culture vulture' label is thrown around a little too quickly - I saw Macklemore catch that few times, and he def does make corny trash, but he's obviously a student of the genre, and at least acknowledges white artists are disproportionately successful even in 'black' genres. But when someone like Miley deliberately shifts from very traditional pop to something much more 'urban', and then pivots as quickly from that to something new and then starts criticizing hip-hop, it's hard to read that as anything else than her exploiting a genre of music she has, at best, a passing familiarity with for her own gain. At least this means the end of her twerking in salmon-colored latex, though.
I don't exactly remember what Miley said, but wasn't she saying that she didn't like how it is exploitative of women and treats them to much like sex objects?

shoelacer

Banned
Something to that effect, which isn't an invalid point, but to me it really rings hollow from someone who had no problem doing shit like this a few years ago

CoolOff

Swan dive down the 405
Land at the bottom of El Toro High
With the precision of a cut from a Zorro knife
The boy spit like he made out of 409
So that's clean, bitch
You can't play with my team, bitch
We rock pink now on Wednesdays
Green looks good with your envy
Mix with white 'cause you salty but this stainless
I'm like platinum and it's painless
I just skip on the beat like I'm Pee-Wee Herman
Hands up for all my sermons
My wheel's turnin', now I'm more efficient than ever
I feel like Ratatouille when I'm whipping that cheddar
You see, you better find your thickest of sweaters 'cause this ice
Might fuck around and change your whole life
'Cause we about to take flight

giphy.gif

WaffleTaco

What the fuck is wrong with people? That song is fucking terrible and Rockstar lead all week on streaming and on buying. The fact that they still count radio is ridiculous.

AJLma

Cardi B bars be having me legit laughing out loud. She's been next ever since she popped up with Foreva. Glad to see her getting her shine.

WaffleTaco

Well, rockstar is pretty dope, so I can't fault you there

This suicideboys tape is great too. Everything was a keeper except for one track
I keep up with this thread and I was never quite sure what this meant lol. Like a mixtape? Is it available to stream on like Apple Music/Spotify?

Also how come nobody mentioning Macklemore!? The only artist with something to say just dropped an album on Friday!

Nibel

Post Malone has shattered Apple Music’s single week streaming record with over 25 million streams of his new single “Rockstar” feat. 21 Savage

This is the latest streaming victory for Malone, who racked up over 1 billion streams and four platinum singles from his debut album Stoney.

source.gif

Top Bottom