• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just found out my girlfriend is cheating on me

Llyranor

It's damn near impossible to have a conversation history that isn't suspicious if you're deleting messages. If there are replies that don't make sense, or giant gaps in time, or changes of subject for literally zero reason then it's pretty obvious things have been deleted. I'm pretty sure OP would have picked up on anything like that.

Also, I should point out, since some people are saying that I couldve known if there was anything fishy in the chats, the chats I saw only went as back as 20 days or so. Before that nothing was there. Her explanation is that he was blocked before that and hence no chats. In those 20 days of chats I couldnt gauge much, except one red flag chat where he asked her to meet some three times and she replied-
"I am going home. Lets meet after 23rd October."
She couldve stopped at "No", or "I am going home." or simply blocked him. She had no need of letting him know she will be back on 23rd. She says she simply replied as she would to any friend that she is not available and can meet after being back on 23rd.
Welp

Esiquio

Being needy and accepting disrespect from a woman are just about the most unattractive traits you could possibly have. There's no way she remains attracted to you after this...as evidenced by her continued use of dating apps to get boned.

Harmen

Hmmm, turns out I am probably too naive/positive, I have to agree with some of the latest assessments that this is shady as hell. Especially her being upset that you wanted to check her phone. You have done absolutely nothing wrong OP.

Mr-Joker

Banned
A little update.

She called me in the evening again and was sounding really upset. So I asked and she said she was upset because I didnt trust her, looked at her phone (I did see her phone to see if the app was still there, in front of her only. It was unlocked and I was just so angry and frustrated I couldnt help myself) and that she had never explained herself to anyone before, so calling another guy just to clear things with me was a big deal and she was feeling bad that I turned out to be a guy who doubted her.
She says that I shouldve asked her and nothing else. So basically I have two choices forever, whenever I have even a little bit of doubt- 1. Dont do anything. 2. Ask her and believe her story.
Kinda made me feel very bad for a while. I indeed felt like a doubting bf.

As others are pointing out, on further thinking I do think some things dont add up.
If she didnt like the guy in the first meet (and turns out that the guy shifted to GF's town after around 8 months of us being together, and not very early in our relationship), why did she meet him a second time? That too after such a long time? Did they meet more times in between? Also, if the guy is as big a creep as she claims, why the hell is he not blocked and out of her life forever? Why is he still sending whatsapp and FB msgs to her, which she replies sometimes to?
Finally, if she is telling the truth in saying that they met only twice and with a gap of a year or so, why the hell was this guy messaging her a whole year without meeting and why was he allowed to do so by her?
Also, I should point out, since some people are saying that I couldve known if there was anything fishy in the chats, the chats I saw only went as back as 20 days or so. Before that nothing was there. Her explanation is that he was blocked before that and hence no chats. In those 20 days of chats I couldnt gauge much, except one red flag chat where he asked her to meet some three times and she replied-
She couldve stopped at "No", or "I am going home." or simply blocked him. She had no need of letting him know she will be back on 23rd. She says she simply replied as she would to any friend that she is not available and can meet after being back on 23rd.

So....story not over yet?

Your story reminds me of my older Brother, he was chatting with a girl from a dating app and had plans to marry her, except the fact that me and my parents warning that we haven't met the girl or her family and she was refusing to let my older brother meet her parents but no he was adamant that she was the one.

So one night he wanted to see my phone and check out the dating app that I was using, it was the same he was using, and lo and behold he found her profile and he confronted her and she got all defensive and told him to butt out, my older brother just ended it then and there.

I fear that your story will end up being the same as if she was deadly serous about getting marrying you, then she wouldn't still be using a dating apps while she's with you and her excuse of "oh I only use to chat with my friend" is honestly bullshit as there other ways of communicating outside of a dating app, not that her male friends on the dating app ever saw her as a "friend."

Trust is an important part of an healthy relationship and right now neither of you trust each other as that as flown out of the window.

My advice is honestly break it off as no normal girl would be giving you this much grief and honestly I don't think that she's worth fighting for, considering that she still had the dating app while she was with you.

Why were you talking aboiut marriage 1.5yrs into dating...seriously.

OP is Indian, this is normal within our culture.

Tell her to fuck off, share a message on FB saying how much of a bitch she is, and then bail.

With a destructive attitude like that you will never be in a relationship.

VeeP

Gonna have to pump that steamed crow out of my stomach.

latest

Why were you talking aboiut marriage 1.5yrs into dating...seriously.

hunh?

that's not at all abnormal.

my wife and i were talking marriage within 1 year [when you know, you fucking know people].

If she gets mad that you're looking at her phone, she is hiding shit.

It's so simple.

this is 100% true in my experience.

if i'm hiding something myself even, if my wife touches / goes near whatever place / device / etc i'm hiding something i freak out for no reason [well, there IS a reason, but SHE CANT KNOW OK!?!?]

Wallach

She is trying to make you feel guilty about "doubting her" when you are brought a facebook page of someone saying he is dating your girlfriend, and you go to her and she tells you she has been talking to that same guy? What the fuck would anyone think in that situation?

The fact that she is even trying to make you feel guilty about that is kind of fucked and exactly the kind of thing dishonest people tend to do when they feel pressured about their lies.

I doubt your situation is anywhere near settled, sorry.

I was on your side OP with the update that things are going alright, but with her getting defensive it's clear she's hiding something. The circumstances are so weird, and if this was just some weird ass liar messaging you she'd understand why you were hesitant to believe her and how suspicious it all seems. Instead, she's playing the victim in hopes you'll just drop any and all questioning and see how "hurt" she is by you being a doubting boyfriend.

The fact that after I posted this there were three people above me saying the same should be a red flag.

If she gets mad that you're looking at her phone, she is hiding shit.

It's so simple.

Right, imagine the situation reversed and there was no cheating. Wouldn't ya feel you'd want to comfort and assure your partner you weren't cheating instead of playing the blame game?

Lose her.

Reinstall the dating app and send her a message saying it's over. If she responds to you that means she didn't delete the app and she is guilty af

giphy.gif

All I'm getting from the last few pages of thread is that it's really easy for people on the internet to sink a complete stranger's relationship based on an incomplete one sided account of the story.

OP, you really need to figure out for yourself if you still trust her or not. You, and not random people on an internet forum, need to make that decision. You know her better than any of us do.

All I'm getting from the last few pages of thread is that it's really easy for people on the internet to sink a complete stranger's relationship based on an incomplete one sided account of the story.

OP, you really need to figure out for yourself if you still trust her or not.

He came here to ask for advice. The information he provided is proof enough that there are problems. She should not be on a dating app and meeting guys without him knowing. There is no way to sugar coat this. She went behind his back to meet a guy, case closed.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I too totally use a dating app to meet lots of friendly female singles to be friends with while in a serious relationship for over a year. It only makes sense to keep them on Tindr where I met them, and never introduce to them, mention them to my partner, or move over to any other platform of chat.

Vire

A little update.

She called me in the evening again and was sounding really upset. So I asked and she said she was upset because I didnt trust her, looked at her phone (I did see her phone to see if the app was still there, in front of her only. It was unlocked and I was just so angry and frustrated I couldnt help myself) and that she had never explained herself to anyone before, so calling another guy just to clear things with me was a big deal and she was feeling bad that I turned out to be a guy who doubted her.
She says that I shouldve asked her and nothing else. So basically I have two choices forever, whenever I have even a little bit of doubt- 1. Dont do anything. 2. Ask her and believe her story.
Kinda made me feel very bad for a while. I indeed felt like a doubting bf.

As others are pointing out, on further thinking I do think some things dont add up.
If she didnt like the guy in the first meet (and turns out that the guy shifted to GF's town after around 8 months of us being together, and not very early in our relationship), why did she meet him a second time? That too after such a long time? Did they meet more times in between? Also, if the guy is as big a creep as she claims, why the hell is he not blocked and out of her life forever? Why is he still sending whatsapp and FB msgs to her, which she replies sometimes to?
Finally, if she is telling the truth in saying that they met only twice and with a gap of a year or so, why the hell was this guy messaging her a whole year without meeting and why was he allowed to do so by her?

So....story not over yet?
She’s trying to flip the script on you and make you feel bad about this shit? Hell no.

Tell her to fuck off, you were the one using a dating app. You can’t just roll over on this one. Sometimes you need to stand your ground.

I thought we had a happy ending, what happened? Why would she bring it up again of her own volition? Whether she cheated or not, I don't see how that would benefit her.

Ralemont

not me
I thought we had a happy ending, what happened? Why would she bring it up again of her own volition? Whether she cheated or not, I don't see how that would benefit her.

Because gaslighting him about his doubt now sets her up to do whatever the fuck she wants in the future and then cry about his unfair doubt when she slips up.

He came here to ask for advice. The information he provided is proof enough that there are problems. She should not be on a dating app and meeting guys without him knowing. There is no way to sugar coat this. She went behind his back to meet a guy, case closed.

I read the updates, same as you, and I don't think it's that clear cut. In particular, the source of all the trouble was always suspect; the other dude has a vested interest in breaking up the relationship if he's that thirsty for the girl.

Literally every relationship thread on here sides against the girl, regardless of the circumstances, to the point I'm suspecting a trend of jaded misogyny.

KoopaTheCasual

OP, did I not tell you she would try to flip the script on you and make YOU the villain in this situation? Sigh.

I really wish you met that other guy face to face (or had your sister do it), before confronting your girlfriend. Now everything is way messier. Dude is probably an exaggerating creep, but putting him on the spot with the girl he's talking to and her 1.5 year bf would cause anyone to hit eject as fast as possible.

Bottom line, she met with a stranger multiple times from a dating app and didn't tell you. THESE ARE FACTS. How dare she get upset at you for feeling betrayed for that. That's some manipulative shit. Keep your wits about you, and don't compromise your morals just to preserve the idea of marriage to this woman.

Hope the next chapter works in your favor, mate. Good luck.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
1. Suspicious girlfriend
2. Girlfriend ousts other man as “crazy creeper”
3. OP believes the acting (give that girl an Oscar)
4. XXXSEXXX (entrapment)
5. Girlfriend calls back blaming OP for his mistrust (sex was a ruse!)
6. SUSPICIOUS GIRLFRIEND

Life is an ouroboros 🤔

OP I went though something similar when I was young and dumb.

GF was being shady - I found out about it. Confronted her - put the blame back on me for doubting her / looking for evidence.

We broke up - she started seeing the new guy who she claimed was just her friend.

It’s a story as old as time.

GET OUT NOW.

I read the updates, same as you, and I don't think it's that clear cut. In particular, the source of all the trouble was always suspect; the other dude has a vested interest in breaking up the relationship if he's that thirsty for the girl.

Literally every relationship thread on here sides against the girl, regardless of the circumstances, to the point I'm suspecting a trend of jaded misogyny.
To be fair, almost every single relationship thread on gaf ends up with cheating. It's usually less than 5% where it ends up a happy story :p

I too totally use a dating app to meet lots of friendly female singles to be friends with while in a serious relationship for over a year. It only makes sense to keep them on Tindr where I met them, and never introduce to them, mention them to my partner, or move over to any other platform of chat.

The reason you don't mention them to your partner is because you know your partner would be upset and it could cause problems for your relationship, correct? You understand that talking to multiple girls on a dating app could be catastrophic to your relationship so you minimize your opportunities to get caught by sticking to one app.

She doesn't care though. She knows what she is doing is wrong but still does it and is sloppy about it. She knows shes wrong

Lulubop

1. Suspicious girlfriend
4. Girlfriend calls back blaming OP for his mistrust
5. SUSPICIOUS GIRLFRIEND

Life is an ouroboros 🤔

Don't forget the sex!

Prelude

I had a similar experience in the past, didn't go well at the end as all my suspicions were correct. I wish you the best OP

TaterTots

Banned

Guilt.

She met up with a guy that made his intentions clear. She knew that going in. She isn't innocent like some are saying.

I bet the guy brought it up to her after the sister talked so she had a heads up and told him everything and then the phone call was him covering for her. She's very clearly lying to you about something. That doesn't mean she's out having sex with him, but somewhere in this chain of events there's a lie. You need to find out what it is.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I ain't the wisest man on earth by any stretch of the imagination. But I've learned the hard way to trust your gut. If something feels off, it probably is. She may or may not be cheating, but it seems obvious she is keeping something from you.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Don't forget the sex!
Updated

1. Suspicious girlfriend
4. XXXSEXXX (entrapment)
5. Girlfriend calls back blaming OP for his mistrust (surprise!!! The sex was a ruse!)
6. SUSPICIOUS GIRLFRIEND

Life is an ouroboros 🤔

Kevtones

Trotting out misogyny when most are reacting to the facts of the situation logically is shitty.

What woman unblocks a 'creepy' guy she wasn't interested in after a long period of no contact, to meet up, behind her boyfriend's back? Not only that, she said she wasn't seeing him and was planning to meet him. She lied straight up and tried to make him feel guilty immediately.

This is textbook. We'd love to be wrong but this reeks.

Updated

1. Suspicious girlfriend
4. XXXSEXXX (entrapment)
6. SUSPICIOUS GIRLFRIEND

Life is an ouroboros 🤔

Make up sex is the best sex. [/Seinfeld]

Jaded? Probably. Misogyny? I'm pretty sure the reactions would be 100% the same if the OP was a girl and the SO was a guy. In fact the SO being a guy would probably give him less benefit of the doubt from the beginning and more people would have said he was being shady from the get-go. So yeah, I call misuse of the term misogyny.

Astral

Updated

1. Suspicious girlfriend
4. XXXSEXXX (entrapment)
6. SUSPICIOUS GIRLFRIEND

Life is an ouroboros 🤔

Seriously, what a bullshit situation. She’s full of it.

Tater

My god, be careful with this advice.

I'd say, be ready to accept that you will probably never fully understand the "why" to this situation. If you accept that, it'll be easier in the long run. Especially if she tries to fuck with you mentally and emotionally through gaslighting and shit. If someone is willing to cheat on someone, I'd keep your expectations in check and assume the worst of this person.

But by all means, there are plenty of exceptions. But when I dealt with a cheater, she clearly had emotional issues (which rose red flags in the past but I ignored, love is blind) that led to an insane shit show in the divorce. In trying to get an answer to the "why," I was almost driven insane. Mainly because I wasn't dealing with a normal, emotionally healthy individual. And yes, I was seeing a therapist at this time.

Being introspective at this time is important. Finding your faults and flaws is key as we all have plenty of them. But don't assume that the cheating was caused by flaws of your own (other than perhaps flaws like being overly codependent or something). It's a careful process, by all means. You don't want to undersell yourself, but you don't want to over-inflate your ego. Surround yourself with support. Friends and family you can REALLY trust. People you can ground yourself with. Don't just isolate yourself with your own thoughts as they can be your worst enemy at times.

Holy shit, are you me? I went through the same thing, came to the same conclusions. I'm sorry you had to go through this, hope you're doing okay now.

The most recent OP update is sadly where it seemed it was going all along. This is what cheaters do - they trickle and half truth their way through confrontation, then try to gaslight and turn things on you for not trusting them.

When my ex-wife cheated on me, I confronted her - she acted genuinely surprised, asked me why I thought that, and then made up some bullshit that convinced me. Afterwards, she asked "Did you tell any of our friends? They must think I'm a terrible person! You need to go back to them and tell them you were wrong".

The whole time she was still seeing the other dude.

Get out, OP. You won't get any closure from her. Don't give her control over your mental state.

Top Bottom