• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 2 |OT| of No Thread Name Can Do This Game Justice

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Such an amazing game.

justcause2_game2010-03a1og.png

justcause2_game2010-03x13c.png

justcause2_game2010-03x3xi.png

Mad Max

Weenerz said:
If you were really a fan of JC2, you'd move to America and get it early. Poser.

Well I hear you guys have a communist-nazi president these days, so being a dirty european coward, I'd probably feel right at home!

flipswitch said:
Does the game have to be installed for the ps3 version and is there loading times during the game, or just streaming bliss?

The ps3 version does have an install but it takes about 60 seconds.

The game has an initial load when you boot it up and quick loads when you start missions.

Lotan

Just spent about 6 hours playing this, 2 on hard and then restarted to go on casual, and man is this game crazy.

I'd recommend casual, none of the dieing all of the explosions!

iratA

Finally got round to playing the demo (PS3 ver) today. Still sort of on the fence about this. Love the open world and physics etc, but here's my problem:

I walk into a little area start shooting it up, fun yes, but the enemies just seem to keep respawning. I wanna move on to the next area but I'm still being shot at chased etc. No time for even a breather or to find health etc. Am I missing something here?

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
They normally give up pretty quickly for me, on both the demo and retail.

I played pc version from when i got home till i fell asleep for 2nd day. Played with 360 controller last night, i like it more. The vehicles (especially planes) don't work well with keyboard control.

Anyone else feel a bit of a scribblenauts vibe from this game? every time i'm just going to destroy a base to get 100% on it, i just walk in there and use c4 to blow up the anti-air missiles and then find an attack helicopter and hover around blowing the whole place up super easily. If you do it on foot it can be really hard with how many guards spawn. Feels like scribblenauts where you can solve 90% of the puzzles with the same overpowered item.

iratA

Thats wierd. So it is possible to clear out an area entirely? I'll give it another crack shortly. Oh and is there an easy way to take out those proaganda trailers if I've run out of grenades?

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
iratA said:
Thats wierd. So it is possible to clear out an area entirely? I'll give it another crack shortly. Oh and is there an easy way to take out those proaganda trailers if I've run out of grenades?
drive a vehicle into them head on and jump out right before you hit :lol

MacBosse

Pandoracell said:
This looks so nice on PC :(

This looks so nice on the Consoles as well ... Can't wrap my head around the awesome graphics at display. Really gets me wondering about next gen ... oh lord.

TheKurgan

Really wanted to check out the PS3 version so in a moment of weakness I picked up the PS3 copy for $40 at Walmart last night (already have the 360 version which I paid $65 for :lol )

Is it just me or did they really improve the PS3 version from the demo they released? After playing both demos I felt the 360 version was best (mainly for the controller) but now after playing both retail games I am not sure. Graphics seem sharper and controls seem tighter on the PS3 - definately better than I remember in the Demo. Keep in mind I am old and have a bad memorty :D Add in the Youtube feature (which I still don't know how to use) and I think it's probably the best version.

I still need to find some "Real Triggers" for my dualshock but I think I will trade in my 360 version this weekend. Anyone know the trade in value of this game? I am guessing $40.

Salaadin

BTW, I think someone else here with a similar setup to mine (i5 750, HD5850) was also having the goofy framrate drops.

I have my settins at 2xAA, 4xAF, Vsync off, and SSAO off. Everything else is set to max. Im using D3Doverrider to enable Vsync and triple buffering and Im getting a solid 60FPS now. I havent seen it dip below 50FPS yet after 2 hours of play.

Maybe there will be new Catalyst drivers or a hotfix to help us out but until then, this seems to be working nicely.

Denzar

TheKurgan said:
Really wanted to check out the PS3 version so in a moment of weakness I picked up the PS3 copy for $40 at Walmart last night (already have the 360 version which I paid $65 for :lol )

Is it just me or did they really improve the PS3 version from the demo they released? After playing both demos I felt the 360 version was best (mainly for the controller) but now after playing both retail games I am not sure. Graphics seem sharper and controls seem tighter on the PS3 - definately better than I remember in the Demo. Keep in mind I am old and have a bad memorty :D Add in the Youtube feature (which I still don't know how to use) and I think it's probably the best version.

I still need to find some "Real Triggers" for my dualshock but I think I will trade in my 360 version this weekend. Anyone know the trade in value of this game? I am guessing $40.
I use those "Real Triggers" and boy... is it a world of difference. Get those ASAP! :eek:

The youtube stuff is accessable via the pause menu.

Check this vid for more info:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMLuuzKyDzs&feature=player_embedded

pestul

Salaadin said:
BTW, I think someone else here with a similar setup to mine (i5 750, HD5850) was also having the goofy framrate drops.

I have my settins at 2xAA, 4xAF, Vsync off, and SSAO off. Everything else is set to max. Im using D3Doverrider to enable Vsync and triple buffering and Im getting a solid 60FPS now. I havent seen it dip below 50FPS yet after 2 hours of play.

Maybe there will be new Catalyst drivers or a hotfix to help us out but until then, this seems to be working nicely.
I had to disable Vsync to get rid of the 'hiccups'. If you want really good performance, try dropping Shadows down to medium (leave hirez shadows on). I can't notice a difference between the settings, but it gives me 3-4fps on average. I have everything else on bust including SSAO. Tweakguides.com needs to do an overview of JC2 for us.

This game is jaw-dropping gorgeous. This has given me more wow moments than Cryis, especially when flying. I wish the time of day cycling was slower..

Salaadin

I was screwing around yesterday and ended up dropping my helicopter into the ocean. It took me a good 5-10 minutes to get back to shore where I wanted to go. It sucked but was so awesome.

Also, whats the deal with that small green plane on that little runway? I saw him taking off yesterday in the opposite direction and he lifted off right into some trees and killed himself.

pestul

Salaadin said:
Also, whats the deal with that small green plane on that little runway? I saw him taking off yesterday in the opposite direction and he lifted off right into some trees and killed himself.
Haha, random things like that are awesome.

glaurung

Saw someone playing and streaming it via Justin TV: the dude found an airfield with a colonel. While he was sniping the colonel, a jet came in to land, started to wobble about, eventually spinning out and crashing into the ocean.

Awesome.

Cannot wait for my PS3 LE.

pr0cs

I like the game but goddamn can it get difficult fast.
I'm not sure I like the health system. So many of the little camps have absolutely no heathpacks and it's so easy to get into a situation where you have very little heath and have stirred up a shitstorm where escape is difficult.
I'm not a fan of the lack of ammo either, why the hell won't the black market sell ammo?

glaurung

pr0cs said:
I'm not sure I like the health system. So many of the little camps have absolutely no heathpacks and it's so easy to get into a situation where you have very little heath and have stirred up a shitstorm where escape is difficult.
I'm not a fan of the lack of ammo either, why the hell won't the black market sell ammo?
Use the grappling hook I say.

It can transport you very far, very quickly. And since most of Panau is not level, you will always have the upper hand when moving across the landscape at a high speed.

At least that is what the demo showed.

As for ammo: learn to vary your gear. If you are running low on main ammo, grab an enemy's gun, even if that is inferior.

Salaadin

I was being chased by cops yesterday and I dont know what happened but something knocked the cop to the right of me off of his motorcycle but the motorcycle kept going. One second, I see this cop coming up behind me and then I hear an "ugh" and hes gone with his bike just sailing along side me. It made for an easy hijack.

I still dont know what did it. Whatever it was didnt touch the bike at all. Just the guy riding it.

pr0cs

glaurung said:
Use the grappling hook I say.
Yeah I probably should move around more. I keep playing this like Crackdown, Saint's Row where the health system and cover is a lot more forgiving. It's easy to forget that you're not a human tank in this game. At least in the beginning anyway when you don't have access to a lot of munitions.

Liberty4all

Banned
I'm in big trouble GAF.

I have to review this and I have been playing for 4 hours. I think I've completed something like 2% of the total game? fucckkkkk (and I mean that in a good way in terms of all the hours I'll put in but a bad way in terms of what this will mean in terms of review submission)

It's going to be impossible to have this review done anytime soon. The game is gloriously massive. Whoever said it feels like GTAIII was right on the money. I haven't felt this sense of zany open ended sandboxy do anything you absolutely want for years. The ability to go vertical at any moment just makes the game even better ...

And omg the draw distance.

I have to say, I don't think JC2 was on anyone's radar ... it's impressive when a developer/publisher doesn't need to hype a game because the quality speaks for itself ...

pr0cs said:

yeah I thought this at first, and I was using tactics from prior games eg if I was in a car, outdrive the enemy cars, getting frustrating they would be so hard to lose

but then I tried a different approach more like red faction, where I do damage and GTFO

in particular, using the grapple hook for a fast escape (you can cover ground crazy far), and then use parachute - with grapple to propel forwards - escaping was much, much easier

to be honest, I now think the game is fun preciesly BECAUSE you cannot get away with just boringly shooting every enemy that comes along, you have to plan attacks or getaways, eg use scoped weapons at a distant or steal a jet plane

Liberty4all

Banned
RS4- said:
Took 16 hours to finish the game, only 26.10% complete though :lol

My problem is that I keep getting sidetracked by all the non mission awesomeness out there.

I love the sense of discovery in this game.

Fun thing to do:

Right as soon as a jet starts taking off, grapple it to the ground. It will mess up its flight pattern, and will start going crazy and fly into trees and buildings.

Last night i caused a jet to go straight up, do a barrel roll and then come down right onto the roof of the hangar where it came from. :lol

iratA

Just spent some more time with the demo. A couple of things.

1. At risk of sounding like CliffyB, this game gives you that feeling of being a badass
2. It can be very frustrating trying to find those last few boxes or whatever to complete the area whilst your backside is getting blown to bits.
3. Enemy respawns and enemy numbers generally feels a bit excessive.
4. Love those tank/apc things :D

Hmmm seriously tossing up between this and GTA LC Episodes? Don't think I need both when Red Dead is just around the corner.

glaurung

Bamelin said:
My problem is that I keep getting sidetracked by all the non mission awesomeness out there.

I love the sense of discovery in this game.
Haha I think the only reasonable solution is to quit your job, take your console/PC and move to the countryside for the next few months to play JC2.

glaurung

iratA said:
Just spent some more time with the demo. A couple of things.

2. It can be very frustrating trying to find those last few boxes or whatever to complete the area whilst your backside is getting blown to bits.
3. Enemy respawns and enemy numbers generally feels a bit excessive.

Hmmm seriously tossing up between this and GTA LC Episodes? Don't think I need both when Red Dead is just around the corner.
Finding the settlement percentage filling collectables (weapon upgrades, vehicle upgrades, armor upgrades) is easy, just look at the tiny radar thingy in the top left corner of the minimap. It will indicate how far the things are and whether you're getting closer or more distant.

God, look at me pimping this game. Square should be paying me.

eshwaaz

Just Cause 2 joins a tiny handful of games where just the simple act of navigating around the environment is pure joy. The grapple/parachute combo is one of the most rewarding and enjoyable mechanics I've ever experienced; the spontaneous freedom it allows is really remarkable. Nearly six hours in, and I'm still finding myself impressed by how well it works.

I also can't get over how amazing this game looks. I've lost count of how many times I've been sailing along, view obstructed by trees, only to arrive at a clearing and find myself in awe at how high up I am and how gorgeous the vista is. I don't know how Avalanche managed to pull off a world this ridiculously big while not sacrificing detail, draw distance, framerate, lighting, interactivity, physics, etc. It's insane. There have been moments where I've set off such a huge explosion it would bring most linear games to their knees, but JC2 holds steady. Seriously - hats off to the programmers at Avalanche.

On the downside, as others have mentioned, the respawning enemies (and how aggressive they are) are already wearing on me. I hope they don't smother my enjoyment as I get further in.

Harteex

I just got stuck on the Blaine mission. Everytime I reload the autosave I can't move or do anything :(
Now I'll have to re play from the start...

Top Bottom