• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

MikeMyers

Entirely terrible for reasons mentioned above. In game, it might be okay to toss a couple special moves on Pokemon like Gyarados, but not for most competitive purposes. Gyarados enjoys having more bulk EVs applied, or even Speed for a more offensive Dragon Dance set. And given that it's so situational in use, you'd be better off accounting for something like Ferrothorn with teammates. Gyarados' own best bet against it is probably Taunt, forcing Ferro to use Gyro Ball and the more rare Power Whip (although it will hurt), instead of stalling you with Leech Seed and Curse. This way, you can actually use it as setup bait a bit.

Fair enough, I don't think Fire Blast will be needed in-game. Although, I do remember people using Special Gyarados in 3rd Gen just to catch people by surprise.

Gyara should learn Crunch though, that'd be cool.

MikeMyers

Hmm, how about this. What is the most hypothetical overpowered set you can make?

Basically, take a Pokemon, and give it any move/ability you want. And it has to be moves/abilities that already exist, no making up abilities or moves.

Edit: Abilities is too easy, just do moves instead.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Hmm, how about this. What is the most hypothetical overpowered set you can make?

Basically, take a Pokemon, and give it any move/ability you want. And it has to be moves/abilities that already exist, no making up abilities or moves.

Wondertomb? (Wonder Guard on Spiritomb, which means only a select few Pokemon can even touch him)

TzHRV.png

Lots of things could benefit from Huge / Pure Power too. Give Slaking Pure Power instead of Traunt, and lulz.

This would never, never never in a million years work, but a Shuckle that's used Curse 6 times which then uses Power Trick after a Medicham on your team uses Skill Swap to give it Pure Power. It then uses Rollout the maximum number of times in order to get the most damage calculable in the game. GG, everyone!

Serious

Well there aren't that many ridiculously overpowered moves that can completely break a pokemon...with the exception of Spore. Spore's only balanced because the fastest pokemon that can learn it has a base speed of 75, so give it to any fast pokemon really and you've made yourself an OP set.

backlot

Well there aren't that many ridiculously overpowered moves that can completely break a pokemon...with the exception of Spore. Spore's only balanced because the fastest pokemon that can learn it has a base speed of 75, so give it to any fast pokemon really and you've made yourself an OP set.

I heard spore is gonna be a tutor move in BW2. Can't wait to teach it to my Whimsicott.

NEO0MJ

This would never, never never in a million years work, but a Shuckle that's used Curse 6 times which then uses Power Trick after a Medicham on your team uses Skill Swap to give it Pure Power. It then uses Rollout the maximum number of times in order to get the most damage calculable in the game. GG, everyone!

I've always wanted to use Shuckle competitively, but the only way to do damage with it is toxic.

Anyways, gonna ban myself for two weeks. bye!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
That's the American release right?

You make good OP's Chet, I'm both relieved I don't have to do it, and that it's in capable hands.

Dawn is back?
Saw this just now. For those not in the know (or care), the anime will be starting Pokemon Best Wishes Season 2 on June 21. Apparently, Cynthia and Dawn will be returning, among other things.

I'll admit, the anime likes to settle into its routine a lot, but it's always fun when they shake things up.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Saw this just now. For those not in the know (or care), the anime will be starting Pokemon Best Wishes Season 2 on June 21. Apparently, Cynthia and Dawn will be returning, among other things.

I'll admit, the anime likes to settle into its routine a lot, but it's always fun when they shake things up.

Shake things up? It's a tradition to have a couple eps where the previous girl traveler comes back.

Will be weird seeing her and de-aged Ash interact.

Shake things up? It's a tradition to have a couple eps where the previous girl traveler comes back.

Will be weird seeing her and de-aged Ash interact.
Well, it's moreso the "Season 2" label that interests me, and Giovanni's return (he's on the poster as well). It's pretty obvious they've been wanting to do some epic story with Team Rocket for a while, I hope this is when they do it.

Sounds like the plot is some sort of victory tournament featuring the gym leaders and elite four members. Wonder what inspired that...

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So my Pokéquest continues. I've got my first gym badge and am well on my way. The story is SUPER intriguing so far. It's like inception but in Pokemon. I'm enjoying the Best wishes anime a lot too. I've never watched and played simultaneously it adds a whole different dimension to the game.

I also ended up spontaneously buying white for a friend, so since I have black she and I can do trades and whatever else it is you do with two copies of corresponding pokemon.

I've been very dissatisfied with the dslite's screen clarity though. The viewing angle is horrific, I think I'm going to pic up a dsixl at some point.

They look to be introducing older Pokémon back in, after only having Pikachu and Meowth from the older generations. The poster has the likes of Lucario and Dragonite on it.

Considering that the episode before the changeover is Ash having a Gym Battle with Homika, and part of the setup is there being a Champions League in Unova, I wonder if we'll get lots of cameos and reappearances, similar to the games.

Oh, and Giovanni's trying to get Meloetta.

Mista Koo

LTTP but I can't miss lists :3
Only 8 though, I didn't want to add filler Pokemon (neither did I want to add starters).

BP665.png
Jiggly Puff

The Pikachu to my Ash. My favorite Pokemon of all time and the most adorable thing ever. I'd probably never let him fight nor put him in a pokeball. He'd my best friend, my teddy bear, and my pillow <3
b69GJ.png
Luxray

My main Pokemon choice for battling. Lightning has always been my favorite type but there wasn't any cool 3rd level lightning Pokemon. I'd ride my Luxray most of the time as we kick trainers and Pokemon butts :D
7SfIx.png
Lombre

The only exception for my fully evolved 3rd levelers, he's just to cool to let him evolve. Also I'm pretty sure he'd be fun to hang out with.
DKPcU.png
Aggron

I think he's one of the most badass Pokemon out there. The big and wise guy of my team
sidpy.png
Wobuffet

My troll Pokemon, he'd mostly just hang arround to annoy people.
K0YYJ.png
Gallade

I usually don't like these kind of designs but I think he's cool. Also goes well with Lombre as both are the same color and of similar sizes.
dbMlu.png
Togekiss

Cute flying thing.
hvldn.png
Chandelure

I'd need a fire Pokemon, also he fills the void of creepy Pokemon in the team.

Unlike a lot of people I couldn't care less how good my Pokemon are. I choose Pokemon based on their looks only. I'm also sure that these are the Pokemon I'd choose as a trainer IRL :3
I'm kinda OCD for using only fully evolved 3 levelers on my team (Jiggly and Wobby wouldn't actually fight), I just can't choose other Pokemon based on that (unless I'm forced/the available Pokemon of that type is ugly).

A friend of mine drew this for me:
6IKxX.png

1-Jigglypuff (Just look at her. Most adorable Pokemon ever. Doesn't hurt that she was one of my mains in smash)
:O
I never thought someone else appreciated Jiggly this much, let alone my fellow countryman <3

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
They look to be introducing older Pokémon back in, after only having Pikachu and Meowth from the older generations. The poster has the likes of Lucario and Dragonite on it.

Considering that the episode before the changeover is Ash having a Gym Battle with Homika, and part of the setup is there being a Champions League in Unova, I wonder if we'll get lots of cameos and reappearances, similar to the games.

Oh, and Giovanni's trying to get Meloetta.

well I look forward to seeing Tobias kick Ash's ass again in that case . :p

I could scarcely imagine the howls of outrage were Ash to get to the final of the Champions League and lose to Tobias again.

Tobias is like that one guy you know who uses Legendaries in all of his battles with you. Jut watch Ash
's Scrafty
beat most of his team only for him to whip out Arceus.

MicH

So Pokemon.com is now giving you a gift on your birthday? That's pretty neat. Just checked my mailbox and I had a mail waiting from them wishing me a happy birthday (though there's a few days to my birthday). Got to befriend a Togekiss, so that's pretty cool. Didn't have one yet.

Next week's dub episode is one of the worst episodes the anime has ever put out.

Under no circumstances should anyone watch. I don't want the makers to think the horrible decisions that they make are supported.

:'(

Next week's dub episode is one of the worst episodes the anime has ever put out.

Under no circumstances should anyone watch. I don't want the makers to think the horrible decisions that they make are supported.

:'(

Huh? Which episode are you talking abou-- *checks episode*

Oh Jesus Christ no. That episode was a bloody mess and made no bloody sense whatsoever. Why'd they waste a Gym battle with such a crappy episode? It boggles the mind, truly it does.

Huh? Which episode are you talking abou-- *checks episode*

Oh Jesus Christ no. That episode was a bloody mess and made no bloody sense whatsoever. Why'd they waste a Gym battle with such a crappy episode? It boggles the mind, truly it does.

Not the Gym Battle. The episode after the Gym Battle.

Just terrible.

Top Bottom